Cosplay Dodgeball

Started by HappyHeretic, April 29, 2010, 09:41:46 AM

HappyHeretic

Hey everyone,

I am hoping to create a Cosplay Dodgeball event for Fanime this year.  Please post if you are at all interested.

When: Saturday (May 29th) @ 4:00 pm
Where:  FHS
Who: Anybody who wants to play (even if your not actually in cosplay)
Cosplay.com Forum

Attendees:
Happyheretic
CaptLiHellsing*
Kagome437*
HMTQ - Madge*
Foxberry
Nero
SuperCoolPeeps
EJAY420
r3za1264
Somebody
monikamilani
Mkamzng1*
Lycan510
Bookwyrm*
ichigocorcor
Ryo_Hellsing*
Meanlilkitty*
Chicken_nerd44
Hibari_Fangirl
Sergeant Envy*
Hara
Kites-kun
Nightshade X*
bboyJoshy1289*

*=Cosplay.com Forum

So there are a number of different games that we could play, but I am thinking of just doing "Regulation Dodgeball" which is the same game they play in the Dodgeball movie.  Basically we will split up into two teams, if you get hit by a dodgeball then you will have to go sit on the sidelines.  If someone catches a ball that you throw then you are out and the catcher gets to bring one of their players back in.  If your team gets all the players on the other team out then your team wins.  

Some safety issues that I want to address.  We use balls that are specifically designed for dodgeball that are made out of foam with a skin on them.  They might hurt a little bit if you hit someone as hard as you canon bare skin, but nothing that won't go away pretty quickly.  Headshots are not allowed, if you hit someone in the head they will not be out.  If it is determined that someone it purposefully aiming at people's heads they will be removed from the game and will not be permitted to play any more.  If you hit someone in the head on accident please try to make sure you let them know it was an accident to ensure that there are no hard feelings.  Also keep in mind that we will hopefully have some spectators that will be hanging out, and would appreciate it if you kept your throws under control so they didn't get hit.

We should be able to get in several games and we will mix up the teams between each game to keep things interesting.  There is no prize if your team wins other than bragging rights, I want this to just be a fun game that will not become overly competitive.  

Also if you have fun with it I encourage you to come to the gathering I am planning in July.  Here is a link to the cosplay.com forum for that event.

Fanime will be taking group pictures during the Gathering/Event this year. If you do not want to be included in those pictures please step aside for those photos. By remaining with the group when the pictures are being taken you give your consent to be photographed.

Foxberry

If it doesn't conflict with my Avatar shoot I will be there on Saturday with Nero(boyfriend).

Avairrianna

I want to but I'm wearing a white dress that day...I'll get messed up T-T
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

SuperCoolPeeps

Count me in , as long as it doesnt conflict with my Avatar Gathering Cx
Fanime 2010 - Because we rock
Chidori Kaname, Tessa, Sousuke
Azula, Zuko, Katara, Sokka
Ceada, Marth, Miciah, Ike

HappyHeretic

Quote from: Avairrianna on April 30, 2010, 11:10:11 AM
I want to but I'm wearing a white dress that day...I'll get messed up T-T

Yeah I would advise that if you are going to be wearing a costume that limits your mobility or could take damage from getting hit that you not participate, sorry that it doesn't work for you

EJAY420

sign me up! I kick ass when I hurt people with bouncy balls. lolz.
Most Impressive.

r3za1264

haha yeah! im down sounds like fun, i want the full fanime experience

Somebody

I'll hopefully be there provided it doesn't cut into my other plans. Not sure if I'm participating yet. (Just needed this to write in so I can follow this thread! xD)
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

monikamilani

I'll come =) You mean at Fanime, right?
Just that weird, surprising, and awkward kid that's always there.
In the corner.
Watching your every move.
Secretly stalking you and watching you sleep. ;)
Fanime/Japan Expo Cosplays 2013~
-Cooking Mama
-Fem. Sasori
...pffft who the hell cares iunno kbye~

HappyHeretic

Yes this will be at fanime

lycan510

Count me in as Altair from Assassins Creed.
Locked and Loaded, voices scream "Let's go!" "Come on!" "Do it!" "Here we go!"

Jerry

not to be a kill joy or anything - im all down for a old fashion dodgeball game but of course as staff theres lots of liability here.

assuming you cosplayers arent doing this anywhere near the convention property BUT i really hope you guys respect each others costumes & each others fragile bodies as not to cause harm to each other.

im guessing if this is already on cosplay.com you have already done something like this before so i do hope any bumps and bruises are minimal.

otherwise have fun, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont get hurt.

and [knocks on wood] if you do get more hurt than usual, we do have an EMT onsite [withing convention grounds only] or please seek medical attention right away in case of emergencies.

keep it fun, but also keep it safe.  :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

HappyHeretic

I would like to reiterate that these balls are soft balls made for dodgeball.  Here is a link to where we order the balls from that includes information about how safe they are including the satement "Lightweight, low bounce, low density foam. Durable no-sting coating. Easy to catch. Ideal for elementary children." 

I play this at least once a week with people ranging from kids that are only 4 up to full grown adults.  I don't think that have ever gotten a bruise from one of these balls in over 10 years of playing these games.  I knew a guy who could throw one that we clocked on a radar gun at about 60 miles an hour and even taking a shot from him in close proximity I did not get a bruise.  The only time even the little guys seem to have a problem is if they get a ball to the face, and most of the time that is more a psychological effect. 

Bumps and bruises are possible while playing the game, but that is more likely from falling on the ground than from getting hit with a ball. I have said it before and I will say it again if the I feel that the game is getting out of control and I feel like someone could get hurt I will end it, or if any particular player if intentionally trying to hurt other players they will be removed from the game.

I hope that this has put some of the fears that people have to rest.  When I did my previous Cosplay Dodgeball event I think the most pain that came out of it was the soreness people had the next day because they were not used to being so physically active, but we played a lot more that I am planning on having us do at fanime, so that shouldn't even be much an an issue.

Jerry

i always want to air on the side of caution- i appreciate your efforts of making the dodgeballs themselves as safe and sane as possible.

again im just curious what the liability is- if/when someone [hypothetically] gets hurt and wants to claim the organizer and/or fanime responsible.

again not trying to be a spoil sport- though i applaud and appreciate your efforts of keeping all the bases covered.

if i wasnt so busy myself, id love to join in- but I wish you guys the best and i hope the photos also turn out really good.

get HYPE 4 Fanime.  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

ichigocorcor

i'll prolly end up playing as whatever gathering i have last on Saturday xD;; there are three OTL

this seems like it could be a potentially costume-hazardous experience
sooo
hopefully it's not horrible
xD

good idea though!!
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

HappyHeretic

Quote from: Jerry on May 03, 2010, 09:26:11 AM
not to be a kill joy or anything - im all down for a old fashion dodgeball game but of course as staff theres lots of liability here.

assuming you cosplayers arent doing this anywhere near the convention property BUT i really hope you guys respect each others costumes & each others fragile bodies as not to cause harm to each other.

im guessing if this is already on cosplay.com you have already done something like this before so i do hope any bumps and bruises are minimal.

otherwise have fun, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont get hurt.

and [knocks on wood] if you do get more hurt than usual, we do have an EMT onsite [withing convention grounds only] or please seek medical attention right away in case of emergencies.

keep it fun, but also keep it safe.  :)

If it will ease your concerns I can easily draft up a liability waiver that all participants will have to sign in order to participate.  I have a version that we use for the Dodgeball birthday parties that children have at our community center.  I can modify it to suit the purposes of the Fanime event.

monikamilani

Oh, my Friend will come and tomorrow I'll have her comment so you'd get her username
In the corner.
-Cooking Mama
-Fem. Sasori

chicken_nerd44

i'll play i'll use the power of MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monikamilani

Ahh, AMY! Don't use your milk cosplay you'll mess it up use your Kagura!
In the corner.
-Cooking Mama
-Fem. Sasori

HappyHeretic

OH man,

I don't know why i never thought of this before, but i need to pull together a costume of a player from Average Joe's gym.  This will be epic!