Secret Treasures of Fanime

Started by Somebody, May 03, 2010, 06:34:18 PM

Somebody

All righty, let me know if I'm going about posting this wrong or something but...

I am doing some research on the "secret treasures" of Fanime. I'm looking for places or events that don't get the spotlight they deserve or are just largely unknown. Since this isn't exactly the best description, I'll give a few examples:

We've all heard of the Maid Cafe, but how many people have actually gone and checked it out? (I haven't, ya'll may have  :P)
I heard that supposedly there was a man last year around con who was advertising another convention and gave out free PB&J sandwiches to those who stopped by after a certain time of day/night
The location of the Purikura booth last year made it out of the spotlight-I didn't really know anything about it until I heard from friends
Even the artists' alley was something I didn't know much about, and only ventured to after a friend's urging

And other things along those lines. I understand this is still not the best description, but I hope you have the general gist of what I'm looking for. I'll try to come back and post other example of what I mean since I'll be checking back for what I'm looking for. So obviously, I'm asking you fanime congoers, are there any little "secrets" you're willing to give away for all to enjoy? Any events or panels you think are great but don't get enough light? Post 'em here! Any advice for how I can make this thread better can be posted here or messaged to me in some form or another. I know it's getting close but let's make this the best Fanime yet!
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

ichigocorcor

* the maid cafe is usually very full, however i've heard good reviews. it depends what kind of experience you're looking for. (i'm not a fan)
* the random man is Chaz Baden, he is the chairman of ALA (a popular convention held in LA in January) and he has a "peanut butter and jelly room" which, ironically enough, is more of a potluck considering he tends to run out of jelly a lot. that's usually held all day, and sometimes he'll come out into the lobby outside the main convention at night with leftovers.
* most of the booths (and game platforms) are in the HUGE hall they use for the swap meet.
* artist's alley is a MUST. it's one of the largest and best organized alleys i've ever been to. and all the artists are friendly and accessible :]

OTHER STUFF:
* the Dojo is open until late at night, usually featuring lots of martial arts panels with cool weapons and stuff.
* there was an 18+ dance last year which was nice because it was smaller and less obnoxious then the regular dance
* lots of cosplayers wander around downtown SJ just for kicks. try it :]
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

Jerry

for the record- although the PB&J table may appear at other Conventions-

we really cant have it at Fanime- I do admit it happens and ive seen it happen before but its a major food/allergy and general liability concerns to the convention.

as much as we appreciate fans attempting to feed fellow fans down on their luck we really cant have random foods out in the open that could either be possibly contaminated or unsafe.

not to be a spoil sport, but only trust food items that you or your close friends have acquired yourself.

on a happier back on topic note---

keep in mind this convention is 24 hours for from with a preview night on Thursday, and running thru completely from Friday morning til Monday evening.

Video & Gaming rooms run 24 hours- which also includes table top gaming. playing card games or board with new or old friends can be always fun.

Check out the Panels schedule to sit, learn, rant or share interests from everything from making fun of the internets, cosplay 101, and fashion awareness like Lolitas.

the night life is VERY exciting- from Fanime Dance, Black&White Ball, The Masquerade/ Cosplay event

Dont Forget Stage Zero [also running 24 hours a day] with videos, entertainment and colorful commentary.

As already mentioned,  Swapmeet is ONLY thursday and Friday, so be sure to catch that and we have a great Artist Alley room as well as our massive amount of Vendors in the Dealers room.

Maid Cafe,  Music Fest on Both Friday and Sunday night.

to each is own, but theres always something going down. not to mention lots of Staff/Cosplayers general fanboys/girls are up probably 24 hours every of the Con as well.

[but we reccomend naps here and there too]

otherwise im sure others will rant about their con experiences too [though every year is different] thus always a new experience.  ;D

GET HYPE 4 Fanime!  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

ichigocorcor

I'm 110% positive that Chaz has asked previous clearance from the heads of Fanime- he himself is a Con Chair of one of the more popular conventions down south, if not THE most popular aside from AX. I know there may be an allergy issue but i'm sure he's covered all his bases. it's not so much as a "feed fans down on their luck as a fellow fan" but a "hey look i'm cool come to my convention".

sorry, didn't mean to be OT but ALA is my con and i gotta support it :] i don't want any misinformation floating around about it.
Cosplay Plans

Jerry

im only trying to protect Fanime and the fans in case one radical decides to try to shut down Fanime Con over a PB&J sandwich.

I'll double check with the Rovers Heads and even take it up the our Con Chair if I have to, I'd just rather be safe than sorry:

" oh did you hear that Fanime was shut down because of PB&J sandwich? " --- yah im sure we'd all like to avoid that.  :)

PyronIkari

Quote from: ichigocorcor on May 04, 2010, 09:03:00 AM
I'm 110% positive that Chaz has asked previous clearance from the heads of Fanime- he himself is a Con Chair of one of the more popular conventions down south, if not THE most popular aside from AX. I know there may be an allergy issue but i'm sure he's covered all his bases. it's not so much as a "feed fans down on their luck as a fellow fan" but a "hey look i'm cool come to my convention".

sorry, didn't mean to be OT but ALA is my con and i gotta support it :] i don't want any misinformation floating around about it.

This isn't a subject for attendees to talk about without knowing the actuality. Assuming things is really bad... seriously. The issue isn't only the allergy issue, but there's a lot of things that are of concern when doing something like this... so please don't continue this discussion.

Jerry: Maid Cafe is sat and sunday, not Fri and Sunday.

ewu

The food issue a non-starter. This will be addressed internally, if at all.

Move on people.... :)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

EJAY420

Most Impressive.

Tony

If I had to point out a few...

- Day 0
- Art Gallery
- Purikura booths
- The Dojo
- 18+ dance (we affectionately call it the Winchester Mystery Dance)
- Night 4 - if you're staff!
- Lots of internal stuff I can't talk about.  ;D

There's going to be a ton of surprise events this year, as well. Keep your eyes on the site, program guide, and twitter.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Jerry

Did you say Fanime Easter Eggs for 2010?  :D

Tony, you are the best!

Huzzah to you and everyone on staff.  :)

M

Quote from: Tony on May 04, 2010, 01:36:46 PM
- Lots of internal stuff I can't talk about.  ;D
What a tease. You should join Marketing. ;)

Unfortunately, most of my secret treasures of FanimeCon involve "staff-only" stuff since I've never actually attended a FanimeCon in San Jose/Santa Clara as a regular attendee. :( It is fun checking out all of the areas from Day -1 to the last day of convention and seeing it come together and be taken apart! ^_^;;

I would say that knowing great food places that are cheap is the key, but that might be because I hate living off of fast food during conventions knowing that there is better around (unless I have no choice). I guess this "secret" was ruined when Publications and San Jose Convention Center started publishing those maps and included these great food places. ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Steve.Young

Secret treasures eh?

Some of mine:

Lets play the game of find the weirdest places people sleep @ in the convention center!

Find that bottle...where people hide their booze and try to sneak into the dance with it.

But let us not forget the classic. Toss the drunks, thieves, and pervs second edition.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

jemz

I think all my departments are great treasures of FanimeCon.

The ballroom lessons offered before the actual Ball itself are a FANTASTIC way to learn how to ballroom for the cost of your membership. The Ball itself is so elegant and fun, filled with great music and beautifully dressed attendees.

The chance to dress up and make people laugh or smile is worth it if you participate in the Cosplay Spectacular. Or maybe just to watch great performances and even better costumes.

You can rock out to MusicFest's concerts on Friday and Sunday nights. Two GREAT bands. They aren't super crowded but a chance to see some great Japanese music being played in the U.S. should always be taken.

Of course, the FaniMaid Cafe is hugely popular but they are totally worth the visit for the experience. The maids are adorable and I always have a great time with them.

Best of all, the Opening Ceremonies gives you a great look of what's to come when we introduce each Guest of Honor while the Closing Ceremonies has a photo montage of the entire weekend that makes everyone in the room smile with fondness and wish that it wasn't ending.

There are some great events that are happening at FanimeCon besides all the ones I've mentioned and I do hope that everyone gets a chance to experience them.

P.S. Love getting boba on the concourse before heading to an event. So delicious!
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

ewu

i think my ex-departments are the true treasures...no one knows about them.

My current dept is a true secret of fanime too!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

BrightHeart76

The cosplay gatherings are always a blast for participants and the audience.  Also, there are some events that go along with the gatherings that a lot of people miss.  There are dinners and games all kinds of unique fun experiences.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Nina Star 9

I keep hearing about this 18+ dance but have no idea that there was such a thing until now. :< Where was/is it, and will it be back?

My hidden treasures? Hmm~ it's hard to say. I really like taking a soak in the hotel hot tub on Sunday evening before the Ball, that's always nice. I also like getting up really early in the morning and taking a walk around the concourse. All the late-night stuff has closed and all the daytime stuff hasn't opened yet, and there are very few people around. It's fun to pop into random video rooms, watch people game in the gaming room, etc.

The lolita events are always my favourites, though. <3

ichigocorcor

last year, the 18+ dance was on the bottom floor of the Hilton, across from the dojo.

i assume, if they hold it, that it will be in the same place this year.
Cosplay Plans

Nina Star 9

Ah, no wonder I never saw it. I don't think I set foot into the Hilton except for an autograph session. Was it advertised at all, or was I just not paying attention?

Another fun thing at Fanime -- try to see what you can do and how much you can do before your karaoke song is called. :D

ichigocorcor

i don't think it was advertised, actually- the only reason i knew about it was because a panel i attended in the dojo got out just as the dance was starting. and the bouncer guilted me into coming xD

i've never done karaoke at fanime- i feel like it would take too long for your song to come up :/ how late is it open til do you remember?
Cosplay Plans

Nina Star 9

I think it is usually open from 4PM-6AM? It usually takes a long time for your song to come up, even if the room is deserted, but often the wait times are shorter than they estimate because a lot of people sign up and then never show up. I typically spend Saturday night singing 3-4 songs, doing things like the dance in between songs while waiting. You can always go up and ask where you are on the list if you have been waiting a while so you can know how much longer you have before your song.

It's a lot of fun. I always make a point of singing at least something~