Secret Treasures of Fanime

Started by Somebody, May 03, 2010, 06:34:18 PM

Somebody

Oh wow this got more replies already then I'd imagined...  :D (-.-')
Let's see...

I suppose letting the regular attendees in on staff stuff isn't really necessary when it doesn't pertain to them, although I guess I'm a complete newb as far as staff goes to figure out they had so many treasures and fun of their own. I hadn't wanted to say so earlier (or at all really >~<'), but I'm part of Stage Zero staff and am collecting ideas for part of our (WHACK's) newscast this year, so I've heard of the mainstream and big ongoing stuff and am noting as much as possible in other projects.  ;)

I don't really know what I'd say about Day 0, but just the set up or something I suppose could be noteworthy, although I bet it'll all be up by the time I get there. I heard something about an art gallery but have no clue about it, do you have more on that umm Tony? I think I read something somewhere about the Dojo but don't know what it is either ( I didn't get out much last year at Fanime, being my first time there. -.-') I'll have to see if anyone else wishes to handle the 18+ dance I think...Winchester Mystery Dance huh? Interesting.

But um yes! Wow, thanks everyone! Hopefully I can catch a few more things before con comes around  :P
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Tony

Quote from: Somebody on May 05, 2010, 09:14:16 PMI heard something about an art gallery but have no clue about it, do you have more on that umm Tony?
It's in artist alley. There's art on display and for sale! People tend to miss it in the sea of artists, but there's great stuff there.

Another secret treasure: flying hands massage. Oh man. Ray is usually right in front of stage zero. Heaven.

The Fairmont lobby is great... 21+ though...

Karaoke is a great one - lots of fun. Great for late-night shenanigans, and a proud and long-standing department.

People seem to miss the game show - we actually have difficulty giving away thousands of dollars worth of prizes...  ???

This isn't really secret nor a treasure, but anyway: the water fountains. Lots of people get dehydrated every year, and the water fountains are a free and easy way to prevent that. (No, not the ones outside - the drinking fountains all over the facilities!)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

kohana ichibana

Last year they had this game that two people a guy and a girl were carrying around these bags with a bell on them. It had a paper with rules. Pretty much you had to find the person with the bag of your gender and challenge them to rock paper sissors and the winner held the bag until the next person challenged them and so on. When the event was over the last person holding the bag gets a prize.

I learned about this because my friend (male) went to voulenteer and he was holding the bag. No one came and challenged him. In the end he had the bag the entire time. He waved it around and was openly sitting down next to a wall near the stage. He ended up getting a lot of pockey and other snacks.  The girl was challenged once and that one person got the prize.

I don't know if it'll be around this year though.
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

Somebody

Bump, sorry!
We're so close to Fanime ya'll!  ;D Just heard that FLOW is coming-so excited!
Also heard about the photo booth at the B&W ball-very cool.  :D
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Raydere

The Console gaming area. Specifically, the game selection that isn't fighting games or rhythm games. It's a great chance to play games that you probably rarely ever get to play, like NiGHTS, Radiant Silvergun, Tetris: The Grand Master, various Cave shooters, and various 3rd/4th/5th-generation console games that may have eluded your memories for ages. Sure, you can play most of those on an emulator or an actual console in your bedroom, but there's something about playing them in the presence of or with others who have also played these games.

I usually hang around there if there isn't much to do.

Whenever I hear people talk about con gaming rooms, they, 2 times out of 1, say "oh, the gaming room was great, they had Guitar Hero, Street Fighter IV, DDR, etc.", as if those are absolutely the only kinds of games that exist at cons.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Nephilim

I always hear about Maid Cafe, but this year will be the first time I'll actually be going.

I LOVE the the Artist Alley. I try to spend as much time there as in the Dealer's room, and always try to hit it first. If you want to commission artwork you want to be there early too, since the wait lines can get long, and by Sunday you might not even be able to something done. I get a custom badge each year. :3

And I wanna check out the tabletop (card games mainly) and e-gaming rooms more this year, and spend less time at the Arcade room; maybe just go there Thursday or late late at night when there's less people.

OH! And the swap meet. :o I've never been to it, so want to check it out on Thursday after picking up my badge.

So nothing that hasn't been mentioned. :x

[edit]
Quote from: Steve.Young on May 04, 2010, 02:54:46 PMLets play the game of find the weirdest places people sleep @ in the convention center!

Just felt like adding for those who don't know, you're not allowed to sleep inside the convention center. I dozed off near stage zero and in a video room and both times was woken up by staff. ^^;;

"Frah muja lycd sa uid, ed fyc lniamdo fru duug bedo uh sa..."

Lizchan33

Quote from: kohana ichibana on May 06, 2010, 09:07:25 AM
Last year they had this game that two people a guy and a girl were carrying around these bags with a bell on them. It had a paper with rules. Pretty much you had to find the person with the bag of your gender and challenge them to rock paper sissors and the winner held the bag until the next person challenged them and so on. When the event was over the last person holding the bag gets a prize.

I learned about this because my friend (male) went to voulenteer and he was holding the bag. No one came and challenged him. In the end he had the bag the entire time. He waved it around and was openly sitting down next to a wall near the stage. He ended up getting a lot of pockey and other snacks.  The girl was challenged once and that one person got the prize.

I don't know if it'll be around this year though.
That sounds like the catch the barrel game.... Naruto cosplayers were doing it and it was open to everyone last year I think. It's really funny cause it's a play on the test early in the Naruto series.... My friend organized it :D

And I'm no good at gameshow questions :/

PyronIkari

Quote from: Nephilim on May 17, 2010, 09:53:30 AM
I always hear about Maid Cafe, but this year will be the first time I'll actually be going.

I LOVE the the Artist Alley. I try to spend as much time there as in the Dealer's room, and always try to hit it first. If you want to commission artwork you want to be there early too, since the wait lines can get long, and by Sunday you might not even be able to something done. I get a custom badge each year. :3

And I wanna check out the tabletop (card games mainly) and e-gaming rooms more this year, and spend less time at the Arcade room; maybe just go there Thursday or late late at night when there's less people.

OH! And the swap meet. :o I've never been to it, so want to check it out on Thursday after picking up my badge.

So nothing that hasn't been mentioned. :x

[edit]
Quote from: Steve.Young on May 04, 2010, 02:54:46 PMLets play the game of find the weirdest places people sleep @ in the convention center!

Just felt like adding for those who don't know, you're not allowed to sleep inside the convention center. I dozed off near stage zero and in a video room and both times was woken up by staff. ^^;;

Hours of operation are 12-6pm ( Think I forget right now) so be sure to come early as the lines can get a little long. Don't forget to catch our stage performances 1-2pm on stage zero sat and sunday 1-1:30 PM as well as our game show where you can win prizes 1:30-2pm

We'll be playing a game where you have to cooperate with a maid to guess what anime a song is from to win prizes. (Anime spanning from the 80s to today).

HunterZero

A few things I've found in my time in downtown SJ, both during and outside of Fanime...

Bijan's Bakery - This place is down from the con across from the fountains of Caesar Chavez plaza. They're good for breakfast, but their real treasure is their princess cake. My wife and I almost got our wedding cake from here, but it was a little too expensive. Their single slices of cake are awesome and pretty cheap. They also make good coffee.

7-11 - There is a 7-11 only a few blocks from the con, so you can get snacks and drinks without having to pay a fortune inside of the con. Look them up online.

Hydration - I don't know how secret this place is, but they have excellent bento boxes.

For those on a budget who drive to Fanime - Park in the lot across from the Hilton. It's cheaper than underground and has in and out rights. You can take mini breaks and not go too far to get excellent food. I highly recommend taking a 15 minute drive to either Mitsuwa off of 280 on Saratoga for delicious Ramen or to downtown Mountain View to visit either Ryowa or Maruichi for more Ramen. I find all of them are much better than SJ Japantown sadly :(. There are also lots of other good places (honest to goodness BBQ on Bascom) that range from expensive to cheap. Not that I'm saying people should leave Fanime, but it is sometimes nice to get away for an hour and get GOOD food nearby.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

pandrogyny

Quote from: HunterZero on May 18, 2010, 04:24:41 PM
I highly recommend taking a 15 minute drive to either Mitsuwa off of 280 on Saratoga for delicious Ramen or to downtown Mountain View to visit either Ryowa or Maruichi for more Ramen. I find all of them are much better than SJ Japantown sadly :(

If anyone is looking for excellent ramen, Kahoo around the corner from Mitsuwa is superior in every way. Just sayin'. c:

As for secret treasures of fanime, for me it's the people I meet wandering around in the middle of the night. I've met some of the coolest people that way.

HunterZero

Quote from: pandrogyny on May 19, 2010, 12:11:00 AM
If anyone is looking for excellent ramen, Kahoo around the corner from Mitsuwa is superior in every way. Just sayin'. c:

Grah, I beg to differ, but ramen preferences are more contentious than political views. I think that the Meiji restoration might have been caused by a disagreement over ramen broth. In any event, I think we can both agree that people should visit both and make up their own minds!

Also, I would be remiss to my co-worker if I did not mention that Santoka ramen at Mitsuwa is one of the few places around to get a ramen/natto combo. Not that I recommend natto <vomit>
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

PyronIkari

Both ramen places suck. I've yet to eat ramen in norcal that was really good. Though I'm hearing good things about Ramen Dojo, everywhere else has be "Ok" or "kinda good" at best.

Lizchan33

And to get back on subject.... the recent surge of lolita gatherings and events are my not so secret treasures of Fanimecon :D

Tony

Quote from: Lizchan33 on May 19, 2010, 06:38:52 PM
And to get back on subject.... the recent surge of lolita gatherings and events are my not so secret treasures of Fanimecon :D
With that in mind, there will be a lolita boutique open to FanimeCon attendees over in the Fairmont! It's in partnership with Oneesan, Inc.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Raydere

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the H-room. Not so much for the obvious, but rather the MST3K'ing.

Although I will warn you: you're gonna need a strong stomach; the stuff they show is fairly difficult to watch even by H standards. (Which is perhaps the whole point.)
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Lizchan33

Quote from: Tony on May 19, 2010, 10:00:10 PM
Quote from: Lizchan33 on May 19, 2010, 06:38:52 PM
With that in mind, there will be a lolita boutique open to FanimeCon attendees over in the Fairmont! It's in partnership with Oneesan, Inc.
I am very excited about that new event!!! :D

Toggy

Oh, last year I chased a random stray balloon down the escalator and it had the words written on it, "Come to Stage Zero." When I did, some kind volunteer lady gave me a prize. I thought that was a pretty interesting hidden treasure. No idea if it'll happen again this year!

Runewitt

Quote from: ichigocorcor on May 04, 2010, 10:09:26 PM
i don't think it was advertised, actually- the only reason i knew about it was because a panel i attended in the dojo got out just as the dance was starting. and the bouncer guilted me into coming xD

i've never done karaoke at fanime- i feel like it would take too long for your song to come up :/ how late is it open til do you remember?
did you try to get an anon to dance?
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.