Fan Names vs. Real Names (aka Possible Badge Display Modifying)

Started by Sora, May 08, 2010, 02:37:40 PM

Sora

I have one suggestion: I think some people don't like their real names, so maybe having the fan name be bigger than the real name would be nice? The reason I suggest this is also that some people probably don't want others to know their real names. Is it possible to do that in the future? And, if the real name has to be on there, it could be Fan name on top, then real name on the bottom, but like I said, smaller in font than the fan name. At the moment, I believe they are the same size.
"Don't give me any orders."

ELDEMONIO

I'm one of those people who don't mind people knowing my real name.But my name is somewhat religious so in a way, it makes me feel like people may feel uncomfortable looking at my name.And since many of us are different religions or don't have any, I don't want my name to reflect who I really am. So I think people would like fake names to be the biggest and their real name smallest.I myself don't care but i'm guessing others may not want others to know their real names because they may think a stalker may find out and cause problem.

Mi Feng

For me, I love both my fan name and my real name. Maybe they could be the same size? But your real name still might have to be on it if you are organizing a gathering. When I'm at Fanime, people don't generally stare at my badge.

Glitch

I think this is done for security reasons. The name might be big so that they can quickly spot your name if you do something bad. "He got away! At least I know his name is Johnny Yong Bosch."
Although I agree that other people easily knowing my slave name isn't exactly something I like.

Sora

For me, I'm one of those people who doesn't like their real name at all, and would rather people use my other names.
"Don't give me any orders."

jackiemarie90

My fan name is like half of my real name! ha ha ha ha  :D
You haven't idealized mankind, you have deformed it, and that's the real practical joke.

chris-barstow

Lol my fan name is real name with hometown...

LakuriSyaoran

I personally would like if the Fan name was larger too, I dun nessesarily hate my real name, but I am ssoo many diffrent websites and such and always use the same name so i'd b kinda cool if people could like.. identify me XD cause no one knows my real name XD

Admiral Donuts

Not an official response, but you could always do custom-made badges for yourself, like is done in this thread.

animeangelfish

I think this is actually a big deal. A friend of mine had an incident this year that is the perfect example of why real names should not be so large. While it makes it easier for staff and rovers to identify you..it also makes it easier for others. For instance, an individual who has regularly attended cons as my friend and has managed to come very close to stalking. Whether we report him to the rovers/staff matters little if he can figure out her real name by looking at her badge (and thus find her on social networking sites.) It's the same with children. Sometimes it can cause more trouble than prevent.

Cosplay 2013: Fem!Reno, River Song (Melody Malone), Hipster!Ariel
Attendee since 2005