FLOW at Fanimecon '10 MusicFest

Started by Acid_Android, May 14, 2010, 06:46:00 AM

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: chifunii on June 01, 2010, 10:28:02 PM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 01, 2010, 10:21:47 PM
I must say I was left unsatisfied by the FLOW Concert.
It wasn't the band. Oh no, they where fantastic. There equipment was not set quite right it seemed as there was quite a bit feedback, but it was nonetheless great.
What I am disappointed about is the audience. It was pretty dead past the front part of the front row and a few patches here and there. I was at the back of the front row and it was only me and my buddy with are hands up in the air trying to rock out and have a good time. Then there was like 7 guys to my left with there arms crossed, just starring out at the stage. Not even a smile or anything. Later when I moved up to the balcony at the end, I could only see roughly 1/4 of the audience being active.
Me and my buddy feel that most of the audience was quite disrespectful to the band and am deeply saddened. I was surprised that they even came out for a encore for that audience, or even that the audience called for one.

Does anyone else feel the same way or am I just one with unusually high standards? =P

I think...it was the chairs. I'd like to pin the  blame on the chairs because that's how I am.
Usually if it's a mosh pit (oh the danger), the energy is usually higher. The chairs set everyone so far apart from everyone else, it was...awkward.

Or maybe...because the people that went didn't know how to react at a live? The LM.C fans knew exactly how insane/fangirly (for lack of more exciting words) they needed to be. They're big fans so they've practiced the songs, and knew the dances.

LM.C fans also had the advantage of being notified earlier of their appearance.
FLOW fans didn't have a CLUE until a little less than a month before Fanime actually started...

I was there near the front, and even then I could feel that people were just standing there. I feel a little bad for FLOW...since from the stage they must've seen the stoic...solid...statueness that is America.

TBH, if I could do it again (go to their live and rock to it), I'd be looser about it...

There were probably lots of contributing factors to the non-moving-ness, but I know for a fact that it wasn't FLOW's fault. They were AMAZING. AMAAZZINNGG.

100%

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

ket

Haha Sorry bout that LT :) Was my first concert. Hell if I knew what to do, so I silently enjoyed myself. :P

Tony

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 01, 2010, 10:21:47 PM
Later when I moved up to the balcony at the end, I could only see roughly 1/4 of the audience being active.
That's not *too* unusual at a concert...

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 01, 2010, 10:21:47 PMMe and my buddy feel that most of the audience was quite disrespectful to the band and am deeply saddened.
Well, they loved the audience! I don

Quote from: chifunii on June 01, 2010, 10:28:02 PMI think...it was the chairs. I'd like to pin the  blame on the chairs because that's how I am.
Usually if it's a mosh pit (oh the danger), the energy is usually higher. The chairs set everyone so far apart from everyone else, it was...awkward.
That's true, but removing the chairs makes the crowd look much smaller, which makes the band sad.  :'(

QuoteOr maybe...because the people that went didn't know how to react at a live? The LM.C fans knew exactly how insane/fangirly (for lack of more exciting words) they needed to be. They're big fans so they've practiced the songs, and knew the dances.
I think that's part of it; I was surprised to hear how this was the first concert for many of our attendees. And the crowd for FLOW may have been more casual than, say, LM.C.

QuoteI was there near the front, and even then I could feel that people were just standing there. I feel a little bad for FLOW...since from the stage they must've seen the stoic...solid...statueness that is America.
Well, again, each and every member of the band personally asked practically every staff member if they could come back, so they seemed very happy with the experience.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Freeden

I'm glad to hear that FLOW enjoyed performing for us. It's always hard to judge how genuine a band is, and it seems especially hard to judge how much a Japanese band is being genuine about coming to and performing for an American audience. I hope they do come back. They were pretty damn cool.

chifunii

@Tony;
What you said really brightened my day. :) I should be studying for a quiz but I just wanted to tell you that real quick. :D

I watch live DVDs pretty often, and the difference between the Japan fans and the US fans are REALLY different. Sometimes the audience in Japan is completely still (like during a ballad or something), while the US audience will like...sway or wave their arms. And of course, there are those who just want to sit and enjoy the music, not so much rocking out to it.

Chairs: I completely agree, at the VAMPS live (that FanimeCon gave me free tickets to <3 <3 <3), it was just standing, and the crowd was sooo small because we were all cramped up into the first ten feet of the floor. Hahaha~

Maybe it's because we've been chilling at FanimeCon too long and have lost all sense of personal space...and after we're granted that in the place where we'd least expect it (MusicFest), we felt awkward having this much space to ourselves. lool I felt that way, a little bit.

Concert attendees: SO TRUE. All the friends I brought with me all told me "...to tell you the truth...I've never been to a concert before..." (I think they were missing a big part of their lives right there). But I really enjoyed the chill/laid-back atmosphere of the FLOW concert, everyone was there to have a good time. The LM.C live felt more like a fan-club live? It's like everyone was part of the cult/club already...They were both fun in their own ways. :)

Coming back: I almost cried when I saw this...XD I would've thought that because they've already played in the California/Bay Area, they would want to expand to the rest of the US, but gosh that made me so happy. If they want to come back, I am DEFINITELY welcoming them back with open arms. :)

...enough talking, back to studying.
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

ewu

I think...it was the chairs. I'd like to pin the  blame on the chairs because that's how I am.

I definitely agree. Tony and the convention chair team are all to blame.....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

PunkDrunker

I was at the front of the audience, so I didn't notice the lack of energy in the back.  Because the energy up front was wonderful.  But I did notice that many didn't seem to know what to do , and waited for the band's instructions and encouragement.  Being a veteren of LIVES from when I was in Japan, I knew how to react.

But FLOW seemed to really know how to get the crowd active and invovled, and that impressed the heck out of me.  And I did love that, at least around me up towards the front, the fans really did try to get active, even if they didn't know the songs or what to do.

As one of my friends said after the concert, they've never had to work so hard for a band before. XD

I came out to San Jose and Fanime specifically for the FLOW concert (since they are my favourite (active) band) and I was definitely not disappointed.

And I am glad that they were happy with FANIME, and if you could get that back next year, that would be wonderful.  Because I plan to come next year anyway (because I was very happy with the rest of the Con that I saw on Friday).

PS- Does anyone know where I can find a setlist for the concert.  I know all the songs that were played, but don't remember at all what order they were in other than SUNSHINE 60 was the first Encore.

Somebody

Quote from: ewu on June 02, 2010, 10:35:06 AM

I definitely agree. Tony and the convention chair team are all to blame.....

But aren't we supposed to blame Ebner? :P
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

chifunii

Quote from: PunkDrunker on June 02, 2010, 03:37:54 PM
I was at the front of the audience, so I didn't notice the lack of energy in the back.  Because the energy up front was wonderful.  But I did notice that many didn't seem to know what to do , and waited for the band's instructions and encouragement.  Being a veteren of LIVES from when I was in Japan, I knew how to react.

But FLOW seemed to really know how to get the crowd active and invovled, and that impressed the heck out of me.  And I did love that, at least around me up towards the front, the fans really did try to get active, even if they didn't know the songs or what to do.

As one of my friends said after the concert, they've never had to work so hard for a band before. XD

I came out to San Jose and Fanime specifically for the FLOW concert (since they are my favourite (active) band) and I was definitely not disappointed.

And I am glad that they were happy with FANIME, and if you could get that back next year, that would be wonderful.  Because I plan to come next year anyway (because I was very happy with the rest of the Con that I saw on Friday).

PS- Does anyone know where I can find a setlist for the concert.  I know all the songs that were played, but don't remember at all what order they were in other than SUNSHINE 60 was the first Encore.

I ended up on the far right of about the second or third row so it wasn't too obvious for me either, but i could tell. This was the first time FLOW has come to the US, right? So I'm sure the fans were just as clueless as to what to expect. I found it extremely helpful when they gave us all the cues, they really helped everyone have a good time. :) some seasoned bands might've just done their own thing and hoped that the fans would catch on on their own, I loved how FLOW held our hands through the entire thing. By the end (Go!!!) everyone knew what do to, it was awesome to have the entire hall move as one for that song...

I feel as if every song they chose to sang had some part of fan involvement, like a call and answer, or jumping or yelling "hey"...I liked that too. I admit there were a few songs I wasn't familiar with, but as long as you felt the music and moved to it, it didn't feel awkward at all. It was a casual live where everyone could have fun, whether if they wanted to dance or sit and listen (I would recommend the balcony for that, you can sit AND see!!!)

What i found interesting was that when they played Freedom (currently my favorite), if you listen to it, you can tell it's a song you're supposed to headbang to, but nobody did that, even though FLOW gave us the cue to do so. It was fun headbanging with them though (since i was probably the only one that did it with them)...it'd be great to rock out to that song again. Hahaha...

As for the setlist...I don't know the exact order,
But Days came right before Colors
Calling was a few songs ahead of Freedom
Go!!! Was dead last (not including the one encore song)

I hope some other people have some sort of recollection about the setlist, id like to know too.

PS, pardon the onslaught of grammar and capitalization problems, the iPad needs someone to look over grammatical autocorrect. :/

PPS if you gave me all the songs, id probably be able to piece together the setlist...as long as nothing is missing xD

PunkDrunker

Quote from: chifunii on June 02, 2010, 04:17:46 PMI ended up on the far right of about the second or third row so it wasn't too obvious for me other, but i could tell. This was the first time FLOW has come to the US, right? So I'm sure. The fans were just as clueless as to what to expect. I found extremely helpful they gave us all these cues, they really helped everyone have a good time. :) some seasoned bands might've just done their own thing and hoped that the fans would catch on on their own, I loved how FLOW held our hands through the entire thing. By the end (Go!!!) everyone knew what do to, it was awesome to have the entire hall move as one for that song...

This was actually their second time in the States.  They were guests at AnimeFest in Dallas in 2006.  From what I understand, their reception was quite disappointing, since not many knew them at the time.  (I did, but I was in Japan at the time)

But as I said before, I loved the cues and encouragement they gave the crowd.  The Japanese fans know what to do, and, you are right, bands probably get complacent and just expect that their fans will know what to do.  I think it was so great of the band to know that the US fans are not necessarily going to know what to do.

Quote from: chifunii on June 02, 2010, 04:17:46 PMI feel as if every song they chose to sang had some part of fan involvement, like a call and answer, or jumping or yelling "hey"...I liked that too. I admit there were a few songs I wasn't familiar with, but as long as you felt the music and moved to it, it didn't feel awkward at all. It was a casual live where everyone could have fun, whether if they wanted to dance or sit and listen (I would recommend the balcony for that, you can sit AND see!!!)

What i found interesting was that when they played Freedom (currently my favorite), if you listen to it, you can tell it's a song you're supposed to headbang to, but nobody did that, even though FLOW gave us the cue to do so. It was fun headbanging with them though (since i was probably the only one that did it with them)...it'd be great to rock out to that song again. Hahaha...

I think their setlist was chosen specifically for those reasons.  Besides the fact that they picked all the themes they have done (besides Realize), and of course doing Nowhere, which is their song dedicated to the fans, I think the other songs picked were ones that could really get the fans involved.

Yeah, I couldn't headbang during CALLING because I had people too close both in front of and behind me.  (Though I could certainly do a lot of good fist-pumping).  Though I must admit the headbanging that KOHSHI and KEIGO did, with the... ahem... appropriately placed microphones, was a bit both amusing and a little disconcerting. XD

Quote from: chifunii on June 02, 2010, 04:17:46 PMAs for the setlist...I don't know the exact order,
But Days came right before Colors
Calling was a few songs ahead of Freedom
Go!!! Was dead last (not including the one encore song)

I hope it some other people have some sort of recollection about the setlist, id like to know too.

PPS if you gave me all the songs, id probably be able to piece together the setlist...as long as nothing is missing xD

Here's the list as best I can remember:
(From 9 to 0 was, I believe, if memory serves me correctly, the opening instrumental introduction)
ブラスター
GO!!!
COLORS
Answer
WORD OF THE VOICE
WORLD END
ANTHEM
SURFIN' U.S.A.
Sign
Nowhere ~君に贈る俺らなりの応援歌~
CALLING
FREEDOM
Re:member
DAYS
SUNSHINE 60

I really feel like I am missing something, though.  But I know that SUNSHINE 60 was the Encore.  Beyond that, it is all just a delighhtful blur in my head.

.::midnight.maiden::.

Quote from: PunkDrunker on June 02, 2010, 05:26:48 PM
Here's the list as best I can remember:
(From 9 to 0 was, I believe, if memory serves me correctly, the opening instrumental introduction)
ブラスター
GO!!!
COLORS
Answer
WORD OF THE VOICE
WORLD END
ANTHEM
SURFIN' U.S.A.
Sign
Nowhere ~君に贈る俺らなりの応援歌~
CALLING
FREEDOM
DAYS
SUNSHINE 60
Yay! Thank You :3
I was surprised that they did a cover of Surfin' USA xD
Fanime Attendee - 2007, 2009-
Fanime Staff - 2008(Panels)
AOD - 2011-

.::midnight.maiden::.

Quote from: chifunii on June 02, 2010, 08:52:05 AM
Chairs: I completely agree, at the VAMPS live (that FanimeCon gave me free tickets to <3 <3 <3), it was just standing, and the crowd was sooo small because we were all cramped up into the first ten feet of the floor. Hahaha~
Completely off topic...but how the heck did you get free tickets from Fanime for the VAMPS live?!
Fanime Attendee - 2007, 2009-
Fanime Staff - 2008(Panels)
AOD - 2011-

PunkDrunker

Quote from: .::midnight.maiden::. on June 02, 2010, 05:32:06 PMYay! Thank You :3
I was surprised that they did a cover of Surfin' USA xD

Yeah, I was very glad they did it, though not surprised.  (It is a track on their Maxi-single Nuts Bang!!!)  It was so much fun to rock along to.

PickleBunny

Here's the set list in order:

Summer Freak
ブラスター
Word of the Voice
Days
Colors
Calling
Answer
Anthem
Nowhere
Sign
World End
Freedom
Surfin' USA
GO!!!
Sunshine60

Hope you all enjoyed the show!
MusicFest Staff 2005
MusicFest Second 2006-2011

PunkDrunker

Quote from: PickleBunny on June 02, 2010, 10:35:47 PM
Here's the set list in order:

Summer Freak
ブラスター
Word of the Voice
Days
Colors
Calling
Answer
Anthem
Nowhere
Sign
World End
Freedom
Surfin' USA
GO!!!
Sunshine60

Hope you all enjoyed the show!
Ya!  Thank you so much.

Summer Freak.  I knew I was missing something and I kept going back to the Nuts Bang!!! single.

The show was awesome, thank you for getting FLOW.

yumicchi88

I was depressed and sad I had to miss every event they were in because of stupid work!
I really wanted to see them and listen to them in live!!

I really really really x100 hope they would come back again someday!!
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

Runewitt

just going to leave this here...

Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

chifunii

Quote from: Runewitt on June 02, 2010, 11:43:00 PM

Just be happily aware that will now be a keepsake on my desktop.

Runewitt

Quote from: chifunii on June 02, 2010, 11:49:29 PM
Quote from: Runewitt on June 02, 2010, 11:43:00 PM

Just be happily aware that will now be a keepsake on my desktop.
its funny because they aproached me and asked why i had a horse with me, and i was like ocrapitsFLOW
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Airi

I was really satisfied with the FLOW concert. Though, I wasn't really energetic as other fans because about 90% of the concert, I was trying to see the stage, because of very tall people blocking the singers D: So my friend thought I wasn't a big fan of them, but I'm a HUGE fan. I wasn't jumping and stuff because I was trying to see the stage, jumping won't help for me, because the tall people in front of are jumping as well, so I can't exactly jump over them LOL. But, with the chances I was able to see, I had a really good time :] I really hope they'll come again soon ^_^

@Runewitt :
OMG! You got a picture WITH them?!? @_@ You're so lucky D: