What does reg money go towards?

Started by otakuya, May 23, 2010, 05:40:50 PM

otakuya

Always been wondering: I know that all staff and volunteers are un-paid; well, paid with free admission; so where does the $50(+) from each pre-, early-, at-con-, artist-alley-table-, swap-meet-space-, etc- registrant go towards?

Tsu

I'm not a fanime con rep, so I'm sure they can list a billion things that I don't even know about.  But I'm sure part of what the money goes towards is simply renting the convention space and the hall across the street.  Renting all the rooms at the con center and insuring it against theft/damage/loss is probably a part of what they spend their money towards, plus probably some type of permits in order for things like the dealer's hall to function...  Plus just because the staff isn't paid doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't provided water and/or snacks, things to keep them functioning during the hours they have to be on-staff so we don't have fainting rovers all over the place.  The con also provides all of the gaming equipment and such, which I imagine has been damaged more than once; they have to rent all the arcade machines, and they're liable to the company they're renting it from in case of damage...  Not to mention, the big guests at these cons... Well, I don't know if they're paid, but I know people like Momoi aren't paying the airfare all on their own out of their own good will.  The guests come from all over the country as well as out of it, and I'm sure the con takes care of feeding them and making sure they have a place to stay.  I'm sure the list goes on and on... janitorial services... rental of video/projection/sound equipment... etc etc.  Even the badges themselves cost money to produce. I think the only reason pre-reg is lower than later on is because of the convenience it offers the con.  They get a general picture about how many attendees are going to be coming, and since the money is paid on the spot, they're able to use it to purchase supplies, deposits, all that stuff.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

BlueCharisma

As foester stated, it basically pay for everything to get the con to run properly.

If you were to ask what if the amount spent is less then the amount received, then it hard to say. I'm just going to assume that extra money is spent towards the next fanime to make it even better.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: BlueCharisma on May 23, 2010, 06:23:13 PM
As foester stated, it basically pay for everything to get the con to run properly.

If you were to ask what if the amount spent is less then the amount received, then it hard to say. I'm just going to assume that extra money is spent towards the next fanime to make it even better.
QFT. :D

And of course, we always strive to get different and awesomer things to do as well each year for all of ya'lls. :D
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

M

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on May 23, 2010, 06:26:36 PM
Quote from: BlueCharisma on May 23, 2010, 06:23:13 PM

QFT. :D

And of course, we always strive to get different and awesomer things to do as well each year for all of ya'lls. :D
One of the things that I discovered when I joined the staff and started getting more and more into doing staff things is how everything costs money. Everything.

I remember a few years ago when I had someone walk up to me and yell at me about how staffers are making tons of money (we're all volunteers) and how we're just wasting the money purchasing stuff that we wanted in real life. It was a weird... conversation. :O
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

FanFicGuru

One thing that I bet costs a friggin' fortune: Insurance.

Lord help me, insuring the convention center for 5 days with tens of thousands of visitors.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

michiko nakano

chair rentals, screens for stage zero, internets, water dispensers and water, sound systems, does it cost money to be able to play certain music at the dances and at the ball? nice printed-in-color laminated badges with badge clips, goodie bags, advertising, all the stuff for the panels (microfones, more screens, chair rentals), transportations and such for important guests, exclusive party for one of the honored guests, etc.  Just to add to the list.

jemz

Quote from: michiko nakano on May 23, 2010, 07:16:51 PM
chair rentals, screens for stage zero, internets, water dispensers and water, sound systems, does it cost money to be able to play certain music at the dances and at the ball? nice printed-in-color laminated badges with badge clips, goodie bags, advertising, all the stuff for the panels (microfones, more screens, chair rentals), transportations and such for important guests, exclusive party for one of the honored guests, etc.  Just to add to the list.

All of those cost money.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

michiko nakano

Quote from: jemz on May 23, 2010, 07:21:46 PM

All of those cost money.
Yeah, that was the point of my post.  I was answering the "what does reg money go towards" question.

r3za1264

the covention center itself, to rent it out must be a pain

jemz

Quote from: michiko nakano on May 23, 2010, 07:34:17 PM

All of those cost money.
Yeah, that was the point of my post.  I was answering the "what does reg money go towards" question.

It's also the answer to your question in your comment. It does cost money to play music in the convention center.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

michiko nakano

Quote from: jemz on May 23, 2010, 09:33:28 PM
Quote from: michiko nakano on May 23, 2010, 07:34:17 PM

All of those cost money.

It's also the answer to your question in your comment. It does cost money to play music in the convention center.
ohhhh i see.  yeah i know it's tough to get some music, i've had to deal with that with dance shows.  especially disney music.  yikes.

otakuya

(Like I'd ever get the money, time, or reason to do so myself...but...) how much is it really to rent the convention center, hotel meeting rooms, and civic auditorium?

ewu

I do not have the exact numbers but you are looking at 5-6 digits...and if i did have them, I would not be able to tell you:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

otakuya

Good answer good answer. I had the idea that large anime conventions like FC, AX, and Otakon are million-dollar entities.....or maybe that's just AX?

Tony

Let me share with your our budget...  ;)

Everyone has pretty much expressed the sentiment: it goes toward operating the convention, with a big chunk going to the rental and labor. (Labor as in union labor, not FanimeCon staff - which are all-volunteer, myself included.)

Tons of gotchas and auxiliary fees as well. We have a lot of money set aside for the likes of lawyers, accountants, ASCAP/BMI, insurance, and other things that are necessary to have the convention.

However, our biggest single cost are these forums. It is approximately 84% of our budget. Most of that money is used to make Mikey's signature sparkle.

The profit we make is generally used to replace or upgrade equipment, and is then applied to the next convention. By "profit" - I mean the money that we haven't used to light our cuban cigars. That we smoke while wearing tuxedos. And top hats. While lamenting the lagging output of our slave-labor factories.

Quote from: Otakuya on May 24, 2010, 01:27:09 AM
Good answer good answer. I had the idea that large anime conventions like FC, AX, and Otakon are million-dollar entities.....or maybe that's just AX?
I would assume that with their numbers that AX is a huge entity; they also "outsource" a lot of their operation, and those things aren't cheap at all. In speaking with their Chairs last year, it was amazing to learn how expensive even the simple things are for them. I don't get the sense that they are something of a gigantic, faceless organization - but that they are so big that everything costs them extra.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

michiko nakano

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 24, 2010, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: ewu on May 24, 2010, 09:03:50 AM
forum mods need to get paid....

I'd sign that petition.
yeah, the ones that do their jobs are worthy of pay!

jemz

Quote from: ewu on May 24, 2010, 09:03:50 AM
forum mods need to get paid....

Forum mods who are on staff get paid........with more staff responsibilities.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

FanimeCon 2008 - 2012