B&W Ball Questions

Started by Mint, May 23, 2010, 08:15:24 PM

Mint

First time at Fanime, and the last convention I went to was my first. It was super tiny (AOD in San Fran) and didn't have a ball.

So my two questions:

For the most part, I'm a sneakers/bare foot type of girl, but my mom and I came across a pair of heels that were comfortable and pretty easy to wear, and she urged me to get them. We also bought a pair of flats. I'm planning to wear the heels, but if I end up being super uncomfortable in the heels, I was wondering if I could change out into the flats? As in leave the dance and come back? I assume this would be fine, but I'm making sure in advance. P:

And also, the schedule makes the b&w ball sound uber formal. I understand a good part of it with be for waltz, foxtrot, tango dances, but will some/most of it be dance music?- Or is it all formal? :O

Thank yew. C:
2012 YO.
Friday: Yin (Darker than black)
Saturday: Alibaba (Magi); Sheryl (Macross Frontier); CC (Code Geass)
Sunday: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara); Peter Pan (Disney)
Monday: Panda Kigurumi

tkdteo

Quote from: Mint on May 23, 2010, 08:15:24 PM
First time at Fanime, and the last convention I went to was my first. It was super tiny (AOD in San Fran) and didn't have a ball.

So my two questions:

For the most part, I'm a sneakers/bare foot type of girl, but my mom and I came across a pair of heels that were comfortable and pretty easy to wear, and she urged me to get them. We also bought a pair of flats. I'm planning to wear the heels, but if I end up being super uncomfortable in the heels, I was wondering if I could change out into the flats? As in leave the dance and come back? I assume this would be fine, but I'm making sure in advance. P:

And also, the schedule makes the b&w ball sound uber formal. I understand a good part of it with be for waltz, foxtrot, tango dances, but will some/most of it be dance music?- Or is it all formal? :O

Thank yew. C:

Hello C,

Welcome to FanimeCon.  I hope that you have a great time this upcoming weekend.  As for your questions, the heels and flats are fine.  So no worries there.  The Black and White Ball is a semi-formal event and there is a dress code for things.  You can find that at http://www.fanime.com/events/black-and-white-ball/ 

In regards to the music, we are trying to keep it close to the themes of anime music, video game music, and j-pop music.  There are some songs on there that are upbeat.  You will find a mix of music there.  For example from last year's BWBall we had music from Cowboy Beebop, Final Fantasy, Disney, EXILE, Hikaru Utada, and such.  All the music that we picked out can be done to various ballroom dances such as the Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Rumba, Cha Cha, Salsa, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Hustle, and Nite-Club two step.  And some of the music comes from stuff you may hear on the radio.

I hope that helps. If you need anything else let me know.

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Mint

Quote from: tkdteo on May 23, 2010, 09:14:00 PM
Quote from: Mint on May 23, 2010, 08:15:24 PM

So my two questions:

Thank yew. C:

Hello C,

Welcome to FanimeCon.  I hope that you have a great time this upcoming weekend.  As for your questions, the heels and flats are fine.  So no worries there.  The Black and White Ball is a semi-formal event and there is a dress code for things.  You can find that at http://www.fanime.com/events/black-and-white-ball/ 

In regards to the music, we are trying to keep it close to the themes of anime music, video game music, and j-pop music.  There are some songs on there that are upbeat.  You will find a mix of music there.  For example from last year's BWBall we had music from Cowboy Beebop, Final Fantasy, Disney, EXILE, Hikaru Utada, and such.  All the music that we picked out can be done to various ballroom dances such as the Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Rumba, Cha Cha, Salsa, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, Hustle, and Nite-Club two step.  And some of the music comes from stuff you may hear on the radio.

I hope that helps. If you need anything else let me know.

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010

I know about the dress code, I was just wondering if we're allowed to leave the dance, and then re-enter?
2012 YO.
Friday: Yin (Darker than black)
Saturday: Alibaba (Magi); Sheryl (Macross Frontier); CC (Code Geass)
Sunday: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara); Peter Pan (Disney)
Monday: Panda Kigurumi

AbsolutelyCursed

jemz

Quote from: Mint on May 24, 2010, 05:50:07 PM
I know about the dress code, I was just wondering if we're allowed to leave the dance, and then re-enter?

You can leave and re-enter at any time during the Ball.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

Okach

And yes, there will be dance music.  West Coast Swing is so not a formal dance...
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/