Making costumes > than buying them

Started by jackiemarie90, May 25, 2010, 07:41:43 PM

jackiemarie90

I'm not a real expert but I have been making costumes since the 7th grade because I never have alot of money to buy the what I like! ha ha Right now I'm finishing up my gaara costume and it is blowing my mind how I only spent 7 dollars on the whole red trench coat and it looks so awesome!! ha ha I encourage many other cosplayers to try it making costumes at least once, not only is it like 100 dollars cheaper but the satisfaction after making it so uh-mazing! ha ha
How many of you guys made your costume for fanime this year and how much fun and pride do you put into it? ha ha :)
You haven't idealized mankind, you have deformed it, and that's the real practical joke.

chris-barstow

I agree making a costume is rewarding(made mine this year) But I don't think it should be your only option, like I myself had a costume(bought) and then tried making one good thing because it was a abortion on my first try.

jackiemarie90

Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 07:46:16 PM
I agree making a costume is rewarding(made mine this year) But I don't think it should be your only option, like I myself had a costume(bought) and then tried making one good thing because it was a abortion on my first try.

Oh I'm not saying buying them is a bad thing, I just saying people should try to make them at least once to experience the fun! ha ha What costume did you make?
You haven't idealized mankind, you have deformed it, and that's the real practical joke.

chris-barstow

Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 25, 2010, 07:50:39 PM

Oh I'm not saying buying them is a bad thing, I just saying people should try to make them at least once to experience the fun! ha ha What costume did you make?
Lol I wanted something original, yet in plane view...  ended up making the Microsoft paperclip out of PVC pipe this year, first time I tried the Heavy off TF2

jackiemarie90

Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 07:55:12 PM
Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 25, 2010, 07:50:39 PM

Lol I wanted something original, yet in plane view...  ended up making the Microsoft paperclip out of PVC pipe this year, first time I tried the Heavy off TF2

Microsoft paperclip?

chris-barstow

jackiemarie90

Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 07:58:53 PM
Lol yep. plan, simple, yet exotic.

Wait I meant to say what is that exactly like something from a computer are, I'm confused on exactly on how you are going to cosplay! :P ha ha

chris-barstow

Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 25, 2010, 08:03:26 PM

Wait I meant to say what is that exactly like something from a computer are, I'm confused on exactly on how you are going to cosplay! :P ha ha

Well it is based of the character/icon person thing. I got the pipes and went through a long process of bending them, painting, and gluing. so now I can wear it around my neck or carry it like a shield

jackiemarie90

Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 08:05:22 PM

Well it is based of the character/icon person thing. I got the pipes and went through a long process of bending them, painting, and gluing. so now I can wear it around my neck or carry it like a shield

Oh I think I get it!! Like your copying and pasting your self, like your a pic from a computer or something right? h aha

chris-barstow

Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 25, 2010, 08:07:27 PM
Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 08:05:22 PM

Oh I think I get it!! Like your copying and pasting your self, like your a pic from a computer or something right? h aha

Yeah lol its werid to explain if you saw it it'd be way easier to explain, eh who knows you might see it at the con Ill probably carry it all the time

jackiemarie90

Yeah lol its werid to explain if you saw it it'd be way easier to explain, eh who knows you might see it at the con Ill probably carry it all the time
[/quote]

NIce! ha ha It's quite a creative idea indeed!! ha ha I'll probably see you at the con! And I'll take a pic! :P

chris-barstow

Mwhahahha and then my evil kingdom will arise... I mean pasta? lol but yeah I really hope Microsoft dosen't sue

jackiemarie90

Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 08:11:17 PM
Mwhahahha and then my evil kingdom will arise... I mean pasta? lol but yeah I really hope Microsoft dosen't sue

Nobody should be sued at a con, if anything it's a form of flattery. ha ha

chris-barstow

yeah but I'd never trust gates, he is sneaky!

jackiemarie90

chris-barstow

Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 25, 2010, 08:17:23 PM
Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 08:12:51 PM

Oh so true! :P ha ha

*crash* sh*t sht* runn hes here he is here to take me! save my V.... Son of a! he didn't come!

jackiemarie90

Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 08:18:29 PM
Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 25, 2010, 08:17:23 PM
Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 08:12:51 PM

Oh so true! :P ha ha

*crash* sh*t sht* runn hes here he is here to take me! save my V.... Son of a! he didn't come!

:O:O:O:O

ELDEMONIO

I prefer ones made by hand. My first cosplay was a Hiei I made and got attention. My second was one I bought online and it didn't get much attention. So I think making your own is better as long as you know what you are doing and have the right materials. Making your own has that special aura about them if you make it nice then a manufactured one.

NerdyBirdAsh

I've never bought a pre-made cosplay.
Always make my own, even if it doesn't come out perfect.
Because it's fun...and it's mine.
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

jackiemarie90

Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 25, 2010, 11:45:27 PM
I prefer ones made by hand. My first cosplay was a Hiei I made and got attention. My second was one I bought online and it didn't get much attention. So I think making your own is better as long as you know what you are doing and have the right materials. Making your own has that special aura about them if you make it nice then a manufactured one.

Exactly!! I actually sewed my whole gaara trenchcoat and vest by hand! O__O But it was fun. ha ha What was the other costume you bought?