Making costumes > than buying them

Started by jackiemarie90, May 25, 2010, 07:41:43 PM

jackiemarie90

Quote from: ash_chan on May 26, 2010, 07:26:01 AM
I've never bought a pre-made cosplay.
Always make my own, even if it doesn't come out perfect.
Because it's fun...and it's mine.

Yes!! ha ha Plus one feels more prideful walking around wearing it right! ha ha
You haven't idealized mankind, you have deformed it, and that's the real practical joke.

ELDEMONIO

Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 26, 2010, 11:39:42 AM
Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 25, 2010, 11:45:27 PM
I prefer ones made by hand. My first cosplay was a Hiei I made and got attention. My second was one I bought online and it didn't get much attention. So I think making your own is better as long as you know what you are doing and have the right materials. Making your own has that special aura about them if you make it nice then a manufactured one.

Exactly!! I actually sewed my whole gaara trenchcoat and vest by hand! O__O But it was fun. ha ha What was the other costume you bought?

That's all i've ever boughten. And a wig helped for the first day but then it started getting messy so I threw it away.>.>

Dany

Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 08:05:22 PM
Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 25, 2010, 08:03:26 PM
Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 07:58:53 PM
Lol yep. plan, simple, yet exotic.

Wait I meant to say what is that exactly like something from a computer are, I'm confused on exactly on how you are going to cosplay! :P ha ha

Well it is based of the character/icon person thing. I got the pipes and went through a long process of bending them, painting, and gluing. so now I can wear it around my neck or carry it like a shield

Do you mean the Microsoft Office Assistant paperclip? That's a giggle and a half. Makes me want to figure out how to make a plush version of Links the Cat, another Office Assistant mascot.

Myself..I'd not mind the occasional purchased costume, but I face one of the following problems almost every time:

1. The character I want isn't available for any form of purchase.
2. If the character is available for purchase, I don't like the quality or the materials used for the character.
3. If the character is available and the quality/materials are good, I can't get it in my size, and it would take too much modification to get the fit that will be flattering to my figure.

So really, I'm more or less stuck with building my own stuff! But I feel like I know enough of what I am doing to not get in too much trouble or waste a lot of money ;)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

jackiemarie90

Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 26, 2010, 01:35:37 PM
Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 26, 2010, 11:39:42 AM
Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 25, 2010, 11:45:27 PM
I prefer ones made by hand. My first cosplay was a Hiei I made and got attention. My second was one I bought online and it didn't get much attention. So I think making your own is better as long as you know what you are doing and have the right materials. Making your own has that special aura about them if you make it nice then a manufactured one.

Exactly!! I actually sewed my whole gaara trenchcoat and vest by hand! O__O But it was fun. ha ha What was the other costume you bought?

That's all i've ever boughten. And a wig helped for the first day but then it started getting messy so I threw it away.>.>

Well I meant to say is what did you buy that one time! :P ha ha Yeah my bad on poor grammar. ha ha
You haven't idealized mankind, you have deformed it, and that's the real practical joke.

jackiemarie90

Quote from: Dany on May 26, 2010, 02:05:29 PM
Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 08:05:22 PM
Quote from: jackiemarie90 on May 25, 2010, 08:03:26 PM
Quote from: chris-barstow on May 25, 2010, 07:58:53 PM
Lol yep. plan, simple, yet exotic.

Wait I meant to say what is that exactly like something from a computer are, I'm confused on exactly on how you are going to cosplay! :P ha ha

Well it is based of the character/icon person thing. I got the pipes and went through a long process of bending them, painting, and gluing. so now I can wear it around my neck or carry it like a shield

Do you mean the Microsoft Office Assistant paperclip? That's a giggle and a half. Makes me want to figure out how to make a plush version of Links the Cat, another Office Assistant mascot.

Myself..I'd not mind the occasional purchased costume, but I face one of the following problems almost every time:

1. The character I want isn't available for any form of purchase.
2. If the character is available for purchase, I don't like the quality or the materials used for the character.
3. If the character is available and the quality/materials are good, I can't get it in my size, and it would take too much modification to get the fit that will be flattering to my figure.

So really, I'm more or less stuck with building my own stuff! But I feel like I know enough of what I am doing to not get in too much trouble or waste a lot of money ;)

That's true too, I feel that I've been making costumes so much that I just naturally decide to make them, buying one seems out of character to me. ha ha