Hilton has a fanime waiver

Started by Kyra_Maverick, May 27, 2010, 04:15:11 PM

Tenba

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on June 01, 2010, 10:53:16 PMI gave a tip on Friday, and our maid was a bit hesitant to take it.  Maybe because I gave it to her in person?
That's interesting. We left a tip on one of the tables, and it was still on the table when we got back, even though the beds were made while we were gone. I thought it was because we used the wrong table, but we left the Do Not Disturb sign up the rest of the time because I sleep during the day.

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 28, 2010, 02:07:49 AMAt the marriott. No waiver. Helpful little flier that answers a lot of questions though!
Can anybody post a copy of this?  I'd like to know what it says.

Tsu

The flyer at the Marriott was basically the same as last year.  It gave info on where you could get food, when the Marriott cafe would be open, how to get internet in your room, that sort of thing.  It was friendly and didn't have any sort of "BEHAVE!" undertones.  (Which is surprising.  You'd think the Marriott with its higher traffic would be more concerned than the Hilton, but maybe the Hilton had bad stuff happen.)
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Aelia

Quote from: Tenba on June 02, 2010, 02:25:13 PM
Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on June 01, 2010, 10:53:16 PMI gave a tip on Friday, and our maid was a bit hesitant to take it.  Maybe because I gave it to her in person?
That's interesting. We left a tip on one of the tables, and it was still on the table when we got back, even though the beds were made while we were gone. I thought it was because we used the wrong table, but we left the Do Not Disturb sign up the rest of the time because I sleep during the day.
I think the issue is that people leave money sitting out that is not specifically for the maids, and they're afraid of getting in trouble if they take it.

I left a big ol' "This is a tip, thanks for doing a great job" note with some money, as well as stripping all the sheets/towels and putting them together and getting all the garbage in one bag for them before we left. I *hope* they appreciated it.
Director of Operations

Jelly Soup

Quote from: Tony on May 29, 2010, 08:43:51 AM
Quote from: foester on May 29, 2010, 01:38:52 AM
Worst thing, IMO, is that it might not even stop some people.  I mean, most of the acts people are talking about here aren't exactly trackable unless they have a guard in the elevators and/or in the hallways.
Cameras...

The cameras in the elevators are weak as hell, I've seen the pictures (I used to have a friend on security at the Hilton). They show non-identifiable bodies in the space.

M

Quote from: Aelia on June 03, 2010, 01:45:23 PM
I think the issue is that people leave money sitting out that is not specifically for the maids, and they're afraid of getting in trouble if they take it.

I left a big ol' "This is a tip, thanks for doing a great job" note with some money, as well as stripping all the sheets/towels and putting them together and getting all the garbage in one bag for them before we left. I *hope* they appreciated it.
More and more hotels are informing the cleaning crew to not take money randomly placed on tables, in front of TVs, etc. because there's a chance that it might not be an actual tip. The only issue with this is that the hotels aren't really telling guests that they should put a note saying "tip" or something along the lines of that next to any actual tips that you want to give. I forgot about this the first night and then put the note on the following nights without any issues.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Sen

Quote from: MPLe on June 07, 2010, 07:04:03 PM
Quote from: Aelia on June 03, 2010, 01:45:23 PM

More and more hotels are informing the cleaning crew to not take money randomly placed on tables, in front of TVs, etc. because there's a chance that it might not be an actual tip. The only issue with this is that the hotels aren't really telling guests that they should put a note saying "tip" or something along the lines of that next to any actual tips that you want to give. I forgot about this the first night and then put the note on the following nights without any issues.

Ah my room actually left a fat tip at the end when we left. Of course the downside is that your housekeeping could be thinking that you're cheap during your stay.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

M

Quote from: Sen on June 07, 2010, 07:13:37 PMAh my room actually left a fat tip at the end when we left. Of course the downside is that your housekeeping could be thinking that you're cheap during your stay.
Or it'll suck if the person has the last day off or isn't the same person that cleaned your room. :(
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Tenba

Quote from: Sen on June 07, 2010, 07:13:37 PMAh my room actually left a fat tip at the end when we left.
That's what we ended up doing.

Melly

lol me and my friend met some girls who were staying at the Hilton and they wanted to play "Elevator Tag".. i fucking hated the being on the elevators at the hilton they made me so light headed x_x so iw as like "hell no" when the offered lol... but i'm guessing people have played that before :/

Char350

However effective the waiver would've been, I'm at least glad they had something to warn people at the Hilton. One night I was visiting some friends at the Marriott. When the elevator opened up, it was packed with crazy idiots screaming and cheering, encouraging people to get on (the 5% free space they actually had). The worst thing was that they were really jumping up and down; the elevator moved up and down at least 2-3 feet with each jump.

As soon as I got a safe elevator and got to my friend's room, I immediately called the lobby to inform them of the problem. It's one thing to have fun, but when you're putting others in danger (for people, physical danger. For Fanime and the Marriott, legal & financial danger), that's a serious problem. How effective the waivers will be or how they'll be enforced can be debated, but I think it's good to give an advance (and reasonable) warning to con-goers.
Fanime 2015 Plans:
*Umemori Genta (Shinkenger)
*Chase (Kamen Rider Drive)

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: Melly on June 07, 2010, 10:52:33 PM
the elevators at the hilton they made me so light headed x_x
Don't ever stay at the Marriott then, theirs are 100x worse...

Melly

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on June 08, 2010, 04:27:39 PM

XoX i'll remember that X_x; and i hope to get like a 3 - 4th floor instead of 14th.. cause i dont mind taking the stairs to avoid the damn elevators ;-;... i fell over in them at one point ;; /sob

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: Melly on June 08, 2010, 06:25:10 PM

XoX i'll remember that X_x; and i hope to get like a 3 - 4th floor instead of 14th.. cause i dont mind taking the stairs to avoid the damn elevators ;-;... i fell over in them at one point ;; /sob
This year I explained upon check in that I get motion sick easy and asked for a lower floor. She was able to get me in on floor 6, much better then the original floor 10.

The only year I stayed at the Marriott, I was on the 24th floor, and after the first elevator ride I took the stairs the entire weekend.

KyraEnsui

The person who checked me in said that it was their first year doing the waiver and I carefully read it which everything was always said in the earlier post. I have to say that this year's was better than last year since I stayed at the Hilton for a few years straight.

No horseplay. No overcrowding. Actually, everyone I met were nice and wave since we can't cram anymore. Beside the fact of inconsiderate people who believe should be using the stairs when staying on the 3rd floor than the elevator are out there.

I have to say that this waiver will work since the person who checks in are responsible for not only their actions, but others that they're staying with.

Melly

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on June 08, 2010, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: Melly on June 08, 2010, 06:25:10 PM

This year I explained upon check in that I get motion sick easy and asked for a lower floor. She was able to get me in on floor 6, much better then the original floor 10.

The only year I stayed at the Marriott, I was on the 24th floor, and after the first elevator ride I took the stairs the entire weekend.

omg that 24TH!?!? sdfjwjaoejwo that must of been awful ;__________; i feel your pain D'x< i think i'd shoot myself if i had to be that high up .______.

Freight

Hey, guys.

I'm looking for an opinion/advice.

I've been going to the AX for about 17 years, and they've ticked me off.  Now I'm looking to book a set of 4-8 rooms (or a suite or two) for Fanime in 2011, and I'm curious as to the better hotel.  From the pictures, I like the Hilton more.

And the waiver thing doesn't bother me so much.  It's basically an anti-stupid-person move.

Kyra_Maverick

I prefer the Hilton. The staff is friendly, the elevators don't make me sick, the bathroom doors actually lock (Marriott has sliding bathroom doors). Both connected hotels are a great choice, but it depends on what you want to be closest to. Video rooms, Artist Alley and the fountain area are a closer to the Marriott where Gaming, Dealers and Dance are closer to the Hilton. I've never thought it took long to get somewhere from either hotel, but I've heard some people complain about it.

Marriott is also a taller building, so suites are a bit more out of the way.

Freight

The Marriott has suites available?  Do you know what size?

I know the Hilton's suites are all taken by Fanime staff and guests.

Kyra_Maverick

The Marriott website says is 400sqft http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-rooms/sjcsj-san-jose-marriott/

Suites aren't listed on the housing website, but from what I understand you can email or call housing staff and they can set you up with one anyway.

If you don't mind a small walk, the suites at the Fairmont are huge. A friend stayed there last year, and they comfortably fit 6 cosplayers in there without any crowding issues.