FanimeCon 2010 Feedback Thread

Started by M, May 29, 2010, 10:37:02 PM

ZaichikArky

Quote from: mdarkpoet on June 04, 2010, 01:28:47 PM
Wondering if anyone else has any ideas or suggestions based off this year's con to improve next year's con

From what I've read:

1. Bring back the J drama room(well actually maybe just I want this >_>;)
2. Better games selections (all types).
3. More polite rovers.
4. Better music selection

deonchan

Quote from: ZaichikArky on June 06, 2010, 01:17:20 PM
Wondering if anyone else has any ideas or suggestions based off this year's con to improve next year's con

From what I've read:

3. More polite rovers.

do you have any specific examples?
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Jelly Soup

Quote from: deonchan on June 08, 2010, 06:47:38 AM

From what I've read:

3. More polite rovers.

Well, he said 'from what I've read', so I'd assume the specific examples would be right here in the topic.

ewu

Quote from: Jelly Soup on June 08, 2010, 08:46:30 AM
Well, he said 'from what I've read', so I'd assume the specific examples would be right here in the topic.

I am currently organizing this thread and preparing it for FC staff to review. No need to summarize the thread:)

but there is a NEED for individualized feedback separated by department and staying-on-topic-ness...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Jerry

Quote from: Jelly Soup on June 08, 2010, 08:46:30 AM
Quote from: deonchan on June 08, 2010, 06:47:38 AM

From what I've read:

3. More polite rovers.

Technically from what i read-

Incident#1 during Fanime Dance - Con goer was mistakenly accused of being under influences [though substance abuse] was an issue during some of the evenings.

Incident#2 or 3 - Dealers/Artist/ Gaming Room - incident where con goers were supposedly treated like "first timers" and/or given rude behavior.

Again recommendation to those who have feel that they have been mistreated by Rovers - Please e-mail us at RoversATfanimeDOTcom

otherwise the majority of the comments were neutral~positive.

All things considered with Rovers being very outnumbers almost 150+ to 1 Rover. I'd like to think we did fairly decently.

My only negative comment was from a teenage girl who got upset with me because I asked her [very politely while i was in my Russell costume] to take off a hat that said:  SUCK A F*CK - because we dont allow profanity at Fanime.

She probably hates me, but I did it because this is a Family convention.

Keep in mind we technically have NEW rovers every year, and despite our strenuous attempts at keeping them all fair minded and level headed - there will be some that may come off as rude or impolite. Heck, it could have been me. But I highly doubt it  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

NerdyBirdAsh

Quote from: Jirekianu on June 03, 2010, 06:49:14 PM
 The biggest problems however were the stacker machines and the barber cut games. I understand they are games of skill.  However, I watched several people play the barber cut/string cutting prize game and get a perfect grip on the string with the razor.  Yet it barely frayed the string.  I was actually standing close enough to see it grip far back on the blade so the entire blade would pull/slice and it barely did anything.  In addition, the stacker machines were blatantly altered from last year.  Last year the stacker machines weren't easy, but it was still possible to win if you were determined enough.  Twice out of the twenty or so times I played I, and several witnesses, saw the final major prize square light up when I hit the button and then jump back to the previous space, which nets me no prize.  I normally wouldn't have a problem with this, even if they shrunk the amount of time you have to correctly react to the timing.  Make the light movement reflect that, rather than jumping back and make it seem like a scam.

I saw no difference in the Stackers game from this year and last -- and I've won prizes off them both this year and last.
It's always done that jumping thing, it's what makes the game so hard. You have to be absolutely precise in hitting the button. Otherwise we'd have a lot more prizes gone.
Personally, I don't just rely on the squares themselves. I use a lot of listening to the beats to determine when I want to hit.

But I totally agree with there needing to be more rhythm games. DDR, PaRaPaRa, Pop n music, Technika, etc. There should have been more than 1 for those last 3 since they're so popular. Also, though I didn't personally experience it (Because I never got the chance to play it!!!) I was told by a friend the pop n music's yellow and green buttons didn't work correctly. A second machine would have given an alternative to play on at the very least.

I thought Rovers were much better this year than last - last year they all looked so serious and I was honestly afraid to approach them, but this year I noticed most of them were all smiles and though I had no issue to take up this year, I felt like I would be able to talk to them should need be.

Also, I thought the reminders to shower worked better this year than years past - I didn't really have to battle con funk this year whereas last year I had almost been tempted to carry fabreeze around to protect my lungs.

All in all, a most excellent con.
Thanks for making my 7th year super memorable guys. <3
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

Admiral Donuts

Rovers: Personally, I'd rather the rovers be effectual than considerate. I've seen a lot of complaints about rude staff members, but I don't think people realize how frustrating it can be working an event like FanimeCon. I have respect for anyone who's willing to give up precious con time to be staff. If you can be authoritative without being rude, great, but if people are listening to you, don't be afraid to raise your voice a little, and give specific instructions. Incidents that come to mind:

Final Fantasy Cosplay Gathering: Photographers were being told to move back, so they did. But they didn't move back far enough, so they were told again. And again. And again. Someone should have just said where they wanted people to move back to from the beginning.

H-night lines: Signs/better direction was needed. Having people wrap around the walls was fine, but it got confusing where the end of the line was and what line was in, I was hearing that there were H lines and Yaoi lines... a few signs with arrows would have really helped.

Swap meet registration: Hopefully feedback already happened at the staff level and I'm just reinforcing it. I know there was a HUGE improvement in handling between the first and second night, so next year, do what was done the second night... with two minor adjustments, if you want people to know their number for when they show up, please post it on the website, and tape the signs showing where you want people to go on the pillars, don't just lay them on the floor where they're easy to miss.

One-way doors: Not a bad idea, they really help with traffic flow. Just put the "entrance only" signs on the INSIDE of the doors where people trying to leave can see them. Props to the staffer who was simultaneously trying to keep the swap meet registration in order while telling dozens of people they can't exit there- including people who had already exited. She was stretched pretty thin.

Swap meet suggestion - Free Stuff Area: We had a lot of stuff we were just giving away once it became clear it wasn't selling, and other people were doing the same. Maybe use one of the unused spaces as a dropping point for stuff nobody wants? It could even stay there for the rest of the con for people who don't get a chance to visit the swap meet.

Walkway lane: Great idea, too bad people blatantly ignored it and stood, sat, and posed for pictures in it or walked the wrong way. Have more of them in the high traffic areas.

Registration: I've read that having your badge number printed out ahead of time is  huge time saver, so why not alter the registration process to favor those people who did just that? Devote a couple of the registration people to deal exclusively with people who brought their print out. I'm envisioning the main line-up working the same, except it splits in two when you get into the main registration room, with print-out people forming one line and non-print out people going to another. In theory, the print-off line will move faster, (which will lead to print-out people registering before non-print-out people ahead of them in line) giving people who took the time to print out their badge number a visible benefit, and encouraging everyone to do the same and making it easier on staff. Everybody wins.

In conclusion, I live 3500 miles away from San Jose (Hawaii, Alaska, and parts of Russia and Greenland are closer) and I thought going to the  con was worth it. Rovers & staff did a great job overall, and I think you should all be proud of yourselves. It wasn't a bad job of people controlling things. If you want to see a bad job of people controlling things go watch Gimmie Shelter.

Edited 'cause it was all bold and added the bit about the walkway

Edit 2: added the registration bit

Jelly Soup

Quote from: Jeimizu on June 09, 2010, 02:40:06 PM
Rovers: Personally, I'd rather the rovers be effectual than considerate. I've seen a lot of complaints about rude staff members, but I don't think people realize how frustrating it can be working an event like FanimeCon. I have respect for anyone who's willing to give up precious con time to be staff. If you can be authoritative without being rude, great, but if people are listening to you, don't be afraid to raise your voice a little, and give specific instructions.

That's all well and good (and I agree with you), Fanime has a history of rovers/staff that were outright powertripping and that causes more problems than it solved. I've seen people directly defying overly rude staff just to example how little power they actually have in the grand scheme of things (with respect to staff, this is a direct quote from various individuals over the years, not a challenge on my part).

This year, the rovers were stern yet polite, which made them more effective than I'd ever seen them before (I noticed that the one person I was complaining about last year was keeping her mouth shut this year).

M

Quote from: Jelly Soup on June 09, 2010, 04:06:01 PMThat's all well and good (and I agree with you), Fanime has a history of rovers/staff that were outright powertripping and that causes more problems than it solved. I've seen people directly defying overly rude staff just to example how little power they actually have in the grand scheme of things (with respect to staff, this is a direct quote from various individuals over the years, not a challenge on my part).

This year, the rovers were stern yet polite, which made them more effective than I'd ever seen them before (I noticed that the one person I was complaining about last year was keeping her mouth shut this year).
While I can't specifically comment on how departments/divisions train our staff, we actually do have a huge emphasis on customer service (being nice, being helpful, etc. etc.). With that said, if you ever do see a bad staffer, please get their badge number and/or name and department and report them to Con-Ops. Note that I said "badge number" as I'm sure someone will read this and try to take a staffer's badge. :|

I do have to say that after being a FanimeCon staffer for 10+ years (2011 happens to be my 11th year ^_^), I can definitely say with 100% certainly that whenever the staff find out that one of us is "on a power trip" it is taken care of. Would prefer not to put the spotlight on individuals, but we do have staff that never come back for this reason. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

the otaku god

please keep the feedback coming everyone. it really helps us out for next year. even the the little things cause what might be little or not a biggie could mean something to someone else.
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

endymon

Would it be possible to get more staff to process the badges. That line was atrocious. There have to be more computer systems than that since the other side of the ground floor registration area was used during the rest of the con, just not for Thursday pickup.

If its a volunteering issue, I'm sure you could get A LOT of bored people in the line to volunteer their time. It would be a heck of a lot more interesting to be doing some sorta data processing (or account lookup, or whatever) than sitting bored in a line moving at a snails pace.

As I'm not sure what type of organizational tricks or filing systems are already in place, I won't try to make more specific suggestions.

Though, it has been suggested to offer a "fast pass" option for additional fee.

ewu

Quote from: endymon on June 13, 2010, 06:44:19 PM
Would it be possible to get more staff to process the badges.

Thanks for the suggestions. Reg is constantly looking for ways to cut down lines. However, the two and half hour wait times are reminiscent of the times that we had in the year prior to 2008 and so are not too unusual.

We did allow early registrations to register too this year and we may consider not repeating that next year to spread out the pickup over more days.

But you are correct and that it is in part a staffing issue. We need more staff on Thursday, however these can not be just any volunteers. The people that work the con are separated by two categories: staff and volunteers. In addition to other requirements, staff must work the entirety of 24 hours over the con, which volunteers are not required to. We prefer that those that have access to personal information be staffers and not volunteers.

There are many considerations and I ask that you e-mail registrationATfanimeDOTcom with your suggestions.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Mango Bunny

Quote from: ewu on June 13, 2010, 10:18:07 PM
We did allow early registrations to register too this year and we may consider not repeating that next year to spread out the pickup over more days.

I know that personally I liked letting Early Reg pick up on Thursday. My friend and I would have had to wait twice.... once for everyone else Thursday and then Friday for him. I know that it's just a personal reason, but I'm sure many other people appreciated  it too.

Mod edit: added quote to facilitate merge into main feedback thread.

Somebody

Not sure what department but lanyards is my focus.

Although I don't know if this is of any help or cam be continued in the future, I really liked the difference in color and text between the attendee and staff badges. I found it useful to locate staff members at a glance when their badges had twisted around the wrong way. Although this wasn't always the case, it helped when I was looking for staff members I didn't know or just for finding assistance in a jiffy. 
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

kohana ichibana

Registration: I was at early reg and at first it was nice and cool because I was in the back of the line that was outside but the moment we got inside it was really hot. Once I got into the massive zig zag line it got hotter and I felt too close to people. It was hot, smelly and sweaty. A woman next to me in line even collapsed because of the heat. We got a rover to get her out of the line but when it gets that hot something must be done. Air conditioning or even just spacing out the line more.

Artist Alley: I was in artist alley this year and 80% of the time there was absolutly no one in the back row. There were some really amazing artists in the back with me but hardly any people. I wish there was some way to get people to just walk through there. I don't really know what can be done about that but there has to be something. I think table assigning should be sooner. Lots of artists were waiting for replies and personally I think it would be nice if there was a specific area on the forum for it. I always have to scavange to look for where artist alley is posted up. Also it would be nice to know who is coming to artist alley and put a link to their DA or something fun like that. Anime on Display does that and they may not have many artists but they are really well organized. (I found out on the last day that an artist I follow on DA was sitting right behind me.)

Rovers: You guys did a great job. The lines were under control this year compared to last and it seemed like everything was a little bit more organized.
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

FemmeFatale

It may or may not be too late to know the specific policies to include them in the guide, but this type of thing is very generally true for most convention concerts I've attended. For An Cafe 2 years ago, anyone with a camera wasn't allowed into the auditorium. I've been to some where you had to check your cameras at the door.

I'm pretty sure they were clear about the camera/photo policy for the concert while I was in the line and before the concert started. I can't vouch for whether that was clear to anyone else though. What annoyed me was that the photo policy was hardly enforced despite the threats that people would be kicked out if caught taking pictures or video.

I normally wouldn't care, except that people who were taking photos were crowding where I was standing because my seat was near the aisle in the front and we were literally right next to a rover who didn't do anything.

Jirekianu

Quote from: ash_chan on June 08, 2010, 04:51:59 PM
Quote from: Jirekianu on June 03, 2010, 06:49:14 PM
 The biggest problems however were the stacker machines and the barber cut games. I understand they are games of skill.  However, I watched several people play the barber cut/string cutting prize game and get a perfect grip on the string with the razor.  Yet it barely frayed the string.  I was actually standing close enough to see it grip far back on the blade so the entire blade would pull/slice and it barely did anything.  In addition, the stacker machines were blatantly altered from last year.  Last year the stacker machines weren't easy, but it was still possible to win if you were determined enough.  Twice out of the twenty or so times I played I, and several witnesses, saw the final major prize square light up when I hit the button and then jump back to the previous space, which nets me no prize.  I normally wouldn't have a problem with this, even if they shrunk the amount of time you have to correctly react to the timing.  Make the light movement reflect that, rather than jumping back and make it seem like a scam.

I saw no difference in the Stackers game from this year and last -- and I've won prizes off them both this year and last.
It's always done that jumping thing, it's what makes the game so hard. You have to be absolutely precise in hitting the button. Otherwise we'd have a lot more prizes gone.
Personally, I don't just rely on the squares themselves. I use a lot of listening to the beats to determine when I want to hit.

But I totally agree with there needing to be more rhythm games. DDR, PaRaPaRa, Pop n music, Technika, etc. There should have been more than 1 for those last 3 since they're so popular. Also, though I didn't personally experience it (Because I never got the chance to play it!!!) I was told by a friend the pop n music's yellow and green buttons didn't work correctly. A second machine would have given an alternative to play on at the very least.

I thought Rovers were much better this year than last - last year they all looked so serious and I was honestly afraid to approach them, but this year I noticed most of them were all smiles and though I had no issue to take up this year, I felt like I would be able to talk to them should need be.

Also, I thought the reminders to shower worked better this year than years past - I didn't really have to battle con funk this year whereas last year I had almost been tempted to carry fabreeze around to protect my lungs.

All in all, a most excellent con.
Thanks for making my 7th year super memorable guys. <3

I'm not saying it's impossible to win.  It just seems like the stacker machines had the window of time to correctly press the button for the last row reduced. 

Prize turn-over for the machines this year I did notice was much lower than last year.  I'm not saying you didn't win or anything, just that it seems it was much more difficult this year. 

Also, I never noticed the light jumping back on the stacker machines last year.  Even when several friends and I took turns trying the machine out and over 2/3rds of the time we were getting to the last row for the major prize win.  Some were really close, but we never witnessed the correct square light up, go dim, and then the previous one light up.  All in all just a criticism that if you're going to have timing that fidgety (even if I'm wrong about it being more difficult) then the light's movement should reflect that.  In order to avoid claims of a scam even if there isn't one.

I also mentioned the barber cut machine because on day one it was full of prizes.  Then most of them were gone and all that was left were two ipad proxy boxes with redeemable vouchers in them.  Then for the entirety of the rest of the con neither one of those ipad boxes seemed to be won.  Despite several close calls, or outright should-have-won attempts.  It definitely looks sketchy when the machine was full day one, and then the rest of con it only has two prizes in it that no one seems to be able to win despite frequent playing.

NerdyBirdAsh

Quote from: Jirekianu on June 16, 2010, 04:43:46 AM

I'm not saying it's impossible to win.  It just seems like the stacker machines had the window of time to correctly press the button for the last row reduced. 

Prize turn-over for the machines this year I did notice was much lower than last year.  I'm not saying you didn't win or anything, just that it seems it was much more difficult this year. 

Also, I never noticed the light jumping back on the stacker machines last year.  Even when several friends and I took turns trying the machine out and over 2/3rds of the time we were getting to the last row for the major prize win.  Some were really close, but we never witnessed the correct square light up, go dim, and then the previous one light up.  All in all just a criticism that if you're going to have timing that fidgety (even if I'm wrong about it being more difficult) then the light's movement should reflect that.  In order to avoid claims of a scam even if there isn't one.

Maybe it's just because I play that game so often. I always head straight for the stackers game at any arcade, so maybe I'm just used to the fidgety movements and flip flopping of the light boxes, it really does give you moments of "WTF, I HAD THAT."

Maybe I don't call it out as a scam because, in a way, it is. It's not just skill that gets you to win, you have to have a bit of luck, really. I don't go in planning to win because in all honesty, the chances aren't that great. It's like a rigged carnival game -- we know it's rigged, but we play it anyway.

I also mentioned the barber cut machine because on day one it was full of prizes.  Then most of them were gone and all that was left were two ipad proxy boxes with redeemable vouchers in them.  Then for the entirety of the rest of the con neither one of those ipad boxes seemed to be won.  Despite several close calls, or outright should-have-won attempts.  It definitely looks sketchy when the machine was full day one, and then the rest of con it only has two prizes in it that no one seems to be able to win despite frequent playing.

I don't know about the cutting one myself...I felt I had more control and precision over the blocks than the razor, and since it was listed on the machine that cutting it once might not be enough, I didn't feel $2/round was worth it when I knew I didn't really have a chance of winning.  xD;

I saw one guy win it, but I spent the bulk of my time as gyarados and only played arcade at night, usually...
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

PyronIkari

Quote from: ash_chan on June 16, 2010, 03:11:33 PM
Quote from: Jirekianu on June 16, 2010, 04:43:46 AM

Maybe it's just because I play that game so often. I always head straight for the stackers game at any arcade, so maybe I'm just used to the fidgety movements and flip flopping of the light boxes, it really does give you moments of "WTF, I HAD THAT."

Maybe I don't call it out as a scam because, in a way, it is. It's not just skill that gets you to win, you have to have a bit of luck, really. I don't go in planning to win because in all honesty, the chances aren't that great. It's like a rigged carnival game -- we know it's rigged, but we play it anyway.

I don't know about the cutting one myself...I felt I had more control and precision over the blocks than the razor, and since it was listed on the machine that cutting it once might not be enough, I didn't feel $2/round was worth it when I knew I didn't really have a chance of winning.  xD;

I saw one guy win it, but I spent the bulk of my time as gyarados and only played arcade at night, usually...

It is rigged. I actually know how the programming for the game works, so let me explain it. How the game works is that there's a "randomized" timer within the game system about how strict the button press timing must be for it to be considered a win. For the most part, this only effects the last 3 boxes as it's so minimal in the rest that it's negligible.

So the last three have a timing differentiator and it's random per game how strict it is. In one game the leway may be .1 second, while in another game the leway may only be .02seconds. So if you're unlucky it will literally be near impossible to win, where as in another game it is actually easy to win. Again it's "random" and there's no way to predict when the game will be easier to win. Also to add, each of the last three levels are independently randomized. So sometimes the 3rd to last one is harder than usual, but the last one one is easy. Sometimes the 3rd and 2nd to last are extremely easy, and the last one is near impossible.

If it wasn't like this, someone skilled could win repeatedly over and over again because of muscle memory and timing.

Jelly Soup

Just happened to think of this. This is less of a complaint and more of a suggestion.

The weapon shows in the dojo panels. A large chunk of time at the start of each panel was devoted to filling out liability wavers. As a way of getting the action quicker, so to speak, maybe the wavers could be put online or provided in the goody bags so people can fill them out ahead of time and streamline the process.