Missing video game merchants.

Started by EJAY420, May 31, 2010, 03:26:11 AM

EJAY420

Was it me or did this year's fanime lacked gaming merchants? I always buy video game shit but this year nada.
Most Impressive.

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

Quote from: EJAY420 on May 31, 2010, 03:26:11 AM
Was it me or did this year's fanime lacked gaming merchants? I always buy video game shit but this year nada.

Hi I am one of the Former Fanime Con Staffers in the E-gaming Room.  Unfortunately JapanVideoGames from Southern California could not make it this year due to the Bad Import Video Game Economy and little issues involved with the distriubutors.

Please click on this link as proof as to why they cannot come this year.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12252.msg368346.html#msg368346

I will see them at the upcoming Anime Expo 2010 Event and will make sure they will come back to Fanime Con once again.

Thanks for your concern and feedback along with anyone that wanted more video game dealers booths.

Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Kyra_Maverick

I was also missing them this year. I knew Japan Games wouldn't be able to make it, but I was hoping some game dealer would be there.

AlyxTheKitty

I think one of the dealers near the door was selling some games but either they had almost no inventory or they were pretty much out by the time we found them. Either way I was surprised how few were to be found.

otakuya

Is there any chance there would be a Gamestop-like store available (trading and selling) at Dealers?
Also, any possibility to get some sort of sponsorship and get a video game industry dealer (EA, Capcom, Bandai/Namco, etc...)?

EJAY420

EA and CAPCOM seem to be in the BAY.
Most Impressive.

otakuya

Looking at the current list of dealers (http://apps.fanime.com/2011/dealerlist/), there doesn't seem to be a video game dealer (yet) (or maybe I didn't look closely enough).
Is Fanime still working at getting a game dealer?

roarkyo

Quote from: Otakuya on February 26, 2011, 04:20:07 AM
Looking at the current list of dealers (http://apps.fanime.com/2011/dealerlist/), there doesn't seem to be a video game dealer (yet) (or maybe I didn't look closely enough).
Is Fanime still working at getting a game dealer?
There is usually one there, I believe they are located in Mountain View but I dont know the name of the dealer.
Fanime attendee 2007-2010
May not be able to attend 2011 or 2012 Fanime :(

frumpy

Unfortunately, many game shops aren't making enough profit by coming to FanimeCon. They'll come 1 year, and won't return the following years.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

PyronIkari

Quote from: EJAY420 on January 04, 2011, 01:07:21 AM

Lemme add in some stuff about this.

There's really no point in a game company going to a convention. Think about it from their propspective. Even if invited, why would they care/want to go to the convention? As far as promotion goes, there are much better conventions they can go to promote (PAX, E3, CES). Anime Expo gets NiS and Atlus only because they are both local to AX and because of promotional things they can do specifically for cons. I won't delve into Atlus because I shouldn't be spreading secrets, but NiS goes to promote their upcoming(pending) anime ventures. Both companies are heavily routed into a very niche culture that is subversed along with the anime con scene as well. They are both TINY TINY TINY TINY TINY companies(just in case you didn't get the emphasis... they are small. I'm talking under 40 employees state side).

On the other hand you have companies like Capcom/EA which have hundreds (thousands in EA's case) and doing something like Anime Expo or Fanime are minor things to them. Although the attendees are big, comparatively to something like E3 which is exclusively for games the market and promotional value isn't there.

Now for game stores and the such. I'm not so sure why you are very interested in having them come to the convention. Games and hardware for games new(especially imports) cannot be dealed down nor negotiated for price. In terms of software, importers make very little per disc. Let's do some fun math.

6800yen, if you go by the market exchange rate today
82.6 yen = 1dollar.

So if you were paying straight rate, 82.32 for a game new. (not a sp edition or anything, just your avg new release). Now tack on importing fees of shipping/customs weight fee etc, you're looking at roughly 90$ to b ring a single game here for someone to purchase. Phantom Breaker is currently 94.99 at JVG. So they are making about 4$ profit on that game.

So, how many games do you think they sell at your average con. Let's shoot... incredibly high, and say they sell 200games at the con. 8$. Now booth fees, shipping costs, etc. etc. etc. So they wasted a weekend to make roughly 200$

On a more realistic scale, they sell at most half of that. So they probably end up losing money. If you want to buy import games, the internet exists. You can go to Japanvideogames.com and buy everything + more there than they would have at the con. You can also special order, buy retro games etc. If you're buying domestic games... just go to any local game shop and buy them.

frumpy

Thanks Mikey! I couldn't have explained it any better!!  ;D

IMO, If it weren't for the internet, these import game stores would actually CARE to travel to cons.

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 08, 2011, 01:58:02 PM
Quote from: EJAY420 on January 04, 2011, 01:07:21 AM

Lemme add in some stuff about this.

There's really no point in a game company going to a convention. Think about it from their propspective. Even if invited, why would they care/want to go to the convention? As far as promotion goes, there are much better conventions they can go to promote (PAX, E3, CES). Anime Expo gets NiS and Atlus only because they are both local to AX and because of promotional things they can do specifically for cons. I won't delve into Atlus because I shouldn't be spreading secrets, but NiS goes to promote their upcoming(pending) anime ventures. Both companies are heavily routed into a very niche culture that is subversed along with the anime con scene as well. They are both TINY TINY TINY TINY TINY companies(just in case you didn't get the emphasis... they are small. I'm talking under 40 employees state side).

On the other hand you have companies like Capcom/EA which have hundreds (thousands in EA's case) and doing something like Anime Expo or Fanime are minor things to them. Although the attendees are big, comparatively to something like E3 which is exclusively for games the market and promotional value isn't there.

Now for game stores and the such. I'm not so sure why you are very interested in having them come to the convention. Games and hardware for games new(especially imports) cannot be dealed down nor negotiated for price. In terms of software, importers make very little per disc. Let's do some fun math.

6800yen, if you go by the market exchange rate today
82.6 yen = 1dollar.

So if you were paying straight rate, 82.32 for a game new. (not a sp edition or anything, just your avg new release). Now tack on importing fees of shipping/customs weight fee etc, you're looking at roughly 90$ to b ring a single game here for someone to purchase. Phantom Breaker is currently 94.99 at JVG. So they are making about 4$ profit on that game.

So, how many games do you think they sell at your average con. Let's shoot... incredibly high, and say they sell 200games at the con. 8$. Now booth fees, shipping costs, etc. etc. etc. So they wasted a weekend to make roughly 200$

On a more realistic scale, they sell at most half of that. So they probably end up losing money. If you want to buy import games, the internet exists. You can go to Japanvideogames.com and buy everything + more there than they would have at the con. You can also special order, buy retro games etc. If you're buying domestic games... just go to any local game shop and buy them.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99