Feedback for the 2010 Black and White Ball

Started by tkdteo, May 31, 2010, 11:41:57 AM

tkdteo

Quote from: MeowDesu on June 03, 2010, 01:13:58 PM
I don't know how my advice will be received since I have personally never attended this event, but here it is anyway.

My friend and her boyfriend had been extremely excited about this dance. They don't personally read the forums here, but they followed the basic guidelines in reference to what is acceptable to wear that were posted on the main website. After attending the dance lessons and being really invested in attending, they were turned away at the door because of her boyfriend's shoes. I'm still not exactly sure why, because they did follow the rules. They were not shiny black dance shoes or anything, but they were black leather shoes - not sneakers. My friend was devastated, and in tears over it, but none of us had any other shoes for him to wear, since we're all from out of town and packed lightly.

So what I hope can be improved on is better communication on the main website and maybe in the pocket guide on what exactly is appropriate to wear. I'm aware that there was a thread where people could ask about clothing choices, but I think it's safe to say that many people did not know that, so perhaps mentioning it on the website would be a good idea. And even having read the rules myself before hand, I was unaware that they would turn him away for those shoes. It's kind of more disheartening to hear that some girls were allowed to break dress code, too. Hopefully there will be a resolution to this for next year that leaves everyone happy.

I am sorry that your friends and you were not able to attend the BWBall.  The dress code will be addressed for next year and your concerns have been noted.  The dress code for the BWBall was posted on the FanimeCon website under BWBall and there was a poster of the dresscode outside the J Ballroom where lessons were held.  I will see what we can do next year to increase the visibility of the dress code. 

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Okach

@MeowDesu - Out of curiosity, is it possible to see the type of shoes your friend was wearing?  Picture on a website somewhere is fine.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Kuudere

Quote from: Okach on June 03, 2010, 02:20:32 PM
@MeowDesu - Out of curiosity, is it possible to see the type of shoes your friend was wearing?  Picture on a website somewhere is fine.

Yes, I'll PM you a link to a photo. I'd post it here, but I don't know if that would be embarrassing to them or not.

Okach

Staff Marketing Second

Kuudere

Quote from: tkdteo on June 03, 2010, 01:54:47 PM
Quote from: MeowDesu on June 03, 2010, 01:13:58 PM
I don't know how my advice will be received since I have personally never attended this event, but here it is anyway.

My friend and her boyfriend had been extremely excited about this dance. They don't personally read the forums here, but they followed the basic guidelines in reference to what is acceptable to wear that were posted on the main website. After attending the dance lessons and being really invested in attending, they were turned away at the door because of her boyfriend's shoes. I'm still not exactly sure why, because they did follow the rules. They were not shiny black dance shoes or anything, but they were black leather shoes - not sneakers. My friend was devastated, and in tears over it, but none of us had any other shoes for him to wear, since we're all from out of town and packed lightly.

So what I hope can be improved on is better communication on the main website and maybe in the pocket guide on what exactly is appropriate to wear. I'm aware that there was a thread where people could ask about clothing choices, but I think it's safe to say that many people did not know that, so perhaps mentioning it on the website would be a good idea. And even having read the rules myself before hand, I was unaware that they would turn him away for those shoes. It's kind of more disheartening to hear that some girls were allowed to break dress code, too. Hopefully there will be a resolution to this for next year that leaves everyone happy.

I am sorry that your friends and you were not able to attend the BWBall.  The dress code will be addressed for next year and your concerns have been noted.  The dress code for the BWBall was posted on the FanimeCon website under BWBall and there was a poster of the dresscode outside the J Ballroom where lessons were held.  I will see what we can do next year to increase the visibility of the dress code. 

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010

Yes, they actually read the one that was posted on the website under BWBall, and his shoes seemed to be okay based on what was written. I think it would have helped to link to the thread (where he could ask about his outfit) directly on that page on the website. Like a section that says "If you have any questions about whether your outfit is acceptable, please address them to this thread in the forums here:" Because many people don't know that that thread exists. The poster outside the lessons room would probably only be beneficial to people who live in San Jose. Those who are from out of town already have their things packed and have to be prepared beforehand. I'm glad that my suggestions are being heard. I know how difficult it must be to run a huge event like this...many things can easily slip through the cracks.  :)

tkdteo

Yes, they actually read the one that was posted on the website under BWBall, and his shoes seemed to be okay based on what was written. I think it would have helped to link to the thread (where he could ask about his outfit) directly on that page on the website. Like a section that says "If you have any questions about whether your outfit is acceptable, please address them to this thread in the forums here:" Because many people don't know that that thread exists. The poster outside the lessons room would probably only be beneficial to people who live in San Jose. Those who are from out of town already have their things packed and have to be prepared beforehand. I'm glad that my suggestions are being heard. I know how difficult it must be to run a huge event like this...many things can easily slip through the cracks.  :)
[/quote]

Good suggestions.  If you could email me the pic also at [email protected], just so I can take a look too that would be great.  Thanks. :)
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Kuudere

For anyone else who is curious about the shoes, I found out that they were Clarks brand. While it's not the exact same shoe, since his is a couple years old, it's similar to this style: http://clarks.zappos.com/n/multi_view.cgi?product_id=7414588&color_id=72&view=multi. It is listed on the site as a "casual" shoe, but people commented that they use them for weddings and other occasions . So I don't know, they might be considered to some as too casual for this dance, perhaps?

Wabbit98

I personally do not see a problem for these shoes, though others might disagree with me.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

Okach

Well, the styling is closer to a sneaker than a conventional dress shoe like an oxford, but I would have waved them through considering that the rest of his outfit was compliant.
Staff Marketing Second

Kuudere

Yeah, now I think the shoe is kind of borderline casual/dress. Darn ambiguous shoes.

I just wanted to thank you all for the positive responses to my suggestion. My friend will be happy to hear about it, and she'll probably try again next year. Maybe even I'll be there for the first time in my 7 years of con attendance. (I apologize in advance for all the feet that will be stepped on  :P)

Wabbit98

Come by and take a lesson or two.  And hardly any feet will be stepped on.

Okach

Trust me, I can't feel my feet by the end of the ball anyways :).
Staff Marketing Second

tkdteo

Quote from: Okach on June 04, 2010, 08:45:23 AM

Ha!  I still can't feel mine.  They are still recovering from the dancing.  :P 

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

saebel

Quote from: MeowDesu on June 04, 2010, 01:28:17 AM
Yeah, now I think the shoe is kind of borderline casual/dress. Darn ambiguous shoes.

I just wanted to thank you all for the positive responses to my suggestion. My friend will be happy to hear about it, and she'll probably try again next year. Maybe even I'll be there for the first time in my 7 years of con attendance. (I apologize in advance for all the feet that will be stepped on  :P)

We'd love to have you!  :)  It's a lot of fun, and we'll do our best to make sure no one gets stepped on.
2010-2016 B&W Ball Staff/Helper
2001, 2007-2009 Attendee

saebel

Quote from: Okach on June 04, 2010, 08:45:23 AM

I only stopped hobbling around yesterday.  >_>;
2010-2016 B&W Ball Staff/Helper
2001, 2007-2009 Attendee

ININ

I want to share my thoughts:

Positives

*Bigger and studier dance floor
*Bigger room
*Great idea having flowers for the dates and couples
*Decorations

Negatives

*Music.  I felt last year's music was better and matched the dance.
*Lack of water.  I agree the five gallon water dispenser is a good idea.  The dispensers don't look pretty in a B&W setting; however, I rather stay hydrated and focused.

General question.  Why were the lights on?  I remember last year the lights were dimmed to create an intimidate mood.

Personal note, I'm going to improve my dance skills big time for next year's B&W event ^__^

Okach

Thanks for the input!  I tried to ask as many people as possible immediately after the ball about the music list.  We had a roughly 80/15/5 split on like it/like it but could be more traditional/meh.  And there were the five or so more people who made DJ requests.  Come to think of it, that's about average for all the WCS comps that I've been too. :)  When you have 900+ people roaming around the ballroom, it's a forlorn hope to expect everyone to like the music all the time - but the floor was consistently full, so from our perspective as staff it worked.

As for the water situation, we're largely at the mercy of the hotel as to what can be provided to dispense it.  And if it's like the other dance events in hotels, FanimeCon got charged unreal amounts for refills ($20-$30/gal).  I'm pretty sure, though, that hydration is preferable over expense...   

Staff Marketing Second

tkdteo

Quote from: Okach on June 04, 2010, 04:50:30 PM
Thanks for the input!  I tried to ask as many people as possible immediately after the ball about the music list.  We had a roughly 80/15/5 split on like it/like it but could be more traditional/meh.  And there were the five or so more people who made DJ requests.  Come to think of it, that's about average for all the WCS comps that I've been too. :)  When you have 900+ people roaming around the ballroom, it's a forlorn hope to expect everyone to like the music all the time - but the floor was consistently full, so from our perspective as staff it worked.

As for the water situation, we're largely at the mercy of the hotel as to what can be provided to dispense it.  And if it's like the other dance events in hotels, FanimeCon got charged unreal amounts for refills ($20-$30/gal).  I'm pretty sure, though, that hydration is preferable over expense...  

Just to chime in, not every song is going to make everyone happy.  We did have a forum thread to ask for requests for music so maybe next year we will have to advertise the thread more.  

As for the water, the Fairmont was kind enough to donate all the water for us.  I just think they were not aware that there would be over 2000 people coming into to the room that night.   But that is something we will address for next year.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions everyone.  Keep them coming.

-Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Wabbit98

I agree with Jim we are not going to make everyone happy with the music list, just make most people happy.

outcast

Loved the ball this year. It was the highlight of my weekend.

Favorite things:
It was good to see that they got a bigger ballroom since 2008(didn't go in 2009). The Imperial Ballroom was just spectacular.
The dance floor was nice, i could of danced for another couple of hours.
Thought the music was nice, a lot of variety from traditional to modern(though some songs I heard at my senior prom)

Negative:
The water kept on running out.

Overall I had a wonderful time and I am definitely going back next.