PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF THE FANIME BUILDING

Started by danielvutran, May 31, 2010, 07:14:25 PM

danielvutran

<3

edit: Wish I got some of the sign holders :(

Cosplay Circus

LOL that was so much fun, went over there and stood with them with my duct tape scythe ;)

~Wolftale
Maka - 2010 Soul Eater cosplay
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

The Goddamn Pacman

I for one am glad the Rovers did a good job of routing con-goers from assembling in front of the obnoxious bible-thumpers. They don't deserve the attention.

Of course, all of that changes when Fanime Jesus pays them a visit. Then its acceptable to pay them every bit of attention. :P
('< ............................

Knightfire

Starting work for Fanime 2011

Eurobeat King

Even if people didn't go near them, you could still hear them from a distance with their bloody megaphones, preaching that bs throughout the days they were there.   :P
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

milkychu

Quote from: The Goddamn Pacman on May 31, 2010, 07:41:58 PM
I for one am glad the Rovers did a good job of routing con-goers from assembling in front of the obnoxious bible-thumpers. They don't deserve the attention.

yeah! The rovers were really nice, one was all like to me :" go ahead and take your picture, then please back up." ^_^ I don't want to post pics of them i'll just have them saved later.
♥ FANIME 2010 PICTURES ♥
http://artemis6.deviantart.com/•
♥FANIME Lolita PANEL♥
http://www.youtube.com/user/connie4790◘

Mi Feng

I just ignored them when I passed by, the rovers thanked me for not interfering with them.

I did not enjoy the guy on the soap box yelling at us though. In front of the convention center there is a ton of space where his noise can go, but on the corner it can really hurt your ears. >.<

BonjourHoney

Does anybody know where they're from? As in ... do they come from a specific group or fellowship or church in the area, or are they all just random, motivated individuals who do this sort of thing on their free time?

I was just curious, because though I never really bother with them, I found it interesting that when I passed by dressed normally, one of the men noticed the crucifix necklace I always wear and he amicably approached me and struck up a conversation with plenty of 'God bless you's;' it was quite pleasant. But when I passed him again in cosplay (as Kamijo the vamp-o-phile no less !) I instead received disapproving looks and all that jazz.

Funny; I had been under the impression that being non-judgmental was a trait of an ideal Christian. Guh ... hence why I was a bit frustrated, as they really are painting fellow Christians in a bad light. =( Also wondering if any other Christians felt the same...? Not trying to start a deep discussion/derail the thread. x) Just wondering !
2015 Cosplays:
Libra - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Arno Dorian (default) - Assassin's Creed: Unity
------
http://spazzy-azi.tumblr.com

danielvutran

Hmm, no idea! lol ^_^ maybe they're a different sect of Christians? I wasn't dressed up or anything but when I was reading his poster one of the guys was like "You like my poster dude? haha" He seemed real nice ironically. LOL.

Sometimes I think they're just trolling and doing it for the lols. ^^

Raydere

I had to put up with them on Saturday, during the Ace Attorney gathering. Fortunately we were quite far away from them, by the front-left wall of the con center.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

deonchan

Hey guys and gals,

Thanks so much for being so understanding and working with us this year! Thanks to you all just ignoring them keeping that nice huge gap and going about your day we accomplished exactly what they didn't want. They had no one to listen to them and in the end they just slinked away defeated.  (Talking about Saturday). Thanks again!
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Green_Tea

I fully respect their right to protest, but do they have to use the bullhorn? It was seriously annoying on Saturday when I wanted to check out the cosplay gatherings, but all I could hear was the nonsense they were spouting off.

When does their protesting start to infringe on our rights? Aren't there any laws or rules that could prevent them from bringing the bullhorn? For the most part I tried to ignore them (I don't much mind the signs), but that one day I could hear them IN the convention center, which is ridiculous.
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

Freeden

Yeah, they were pretty annoying, but I was able to pretty much ignore them. It didn't even really seem like a protest, as they didn't have any signs protesting much of anything. Seemed more like a recruitment to me. The one that really annoyed me was the guy on the corner who was talking directly at people and gettin in their faces.

amaya_JDB

Quote from: BonjourHoney on June 01, 2010, 01:10:17 AM
Does anybody know where they're from? As in ... do they come from a specific group or fellowship or church in the area, or are they all just random, motivated individuals who do this sort of thing on their free time?

I was just curious, because though I never really bother with them, I found it interesting that when I passed by dressed normally, one of the men noticed the crucifix necklace I always wear and he amicably approached me and struck up a conversation with plenty of 'God bless you's;' it was quite pleasant. But when I passed him again in cosplay (as Kamijo the vamp-o-phile no less !) I instead received disapproving looks and all that jazz.

Funny; I had been under the impression that being non-judgmental was a trait of an ideal Christian. Guh ... hence why I was a bit frustrated, as they really are painting fellow Christians in a bad light. =( Also wondering if any other Christians felt the same...? Not trying to start a deep discussion/derail the thread. x) Just wondering !

I know what you mean. I'm a Christian myself, and they were really disappointing me of how they acted. I also heard a lot of people say, "I'm atheist/agnostic/etc  because of them." which made me cry inside 'cause that's not how Christians really are.

I don't get why they judge so fast.  I was also wearing a crucifix with my normal everyday outfit and they didn't bother me at all versus when I was in my Kagome cosplay or Visual Kei they start yelling in my ear. Disturbance of the peace, no?

btw, you were Kamijo??? I"m PMing you with a pic! You and whoever did Hizaki did an amazing job!!!
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Mister_E

I am glad that the rovers kept the crowd away from them as best as they can.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Nina Star 9

I've been wondering this -- are they still actual protesters, or are they just trolling us? It would be a pretty elaborate thing to do to troll us, but you really have to wonder...

darkknightcecil

Okay Rovers this year. I love you guys. You guys re-directed the Traffic Flows. Yet Thank you for one of them for calming me. haha.
But seriously. I wonder where there from? Westboro?

CaptainYossarian

QuoteWhen does their protesting start to infringe on our rights? Aren't there any laws or rules that could prevent them from bringing the bullhorn? For the most part I tried to ignore them (I don't much mind the signs), but that one day I could hear them IN the convention center, which is ridiculous.

Well, short of a protracted constitutional battle, we'll never be able to stop them from protesting, however, it they were that loud, there might be city ordinances that could at least make them shut off any amplification they were using. 
"Did I know Szat would betray us?" Urza asked quizzically. "I was counting on it"

Green_Tea

Quote from: CaptainYossarian on June 01, 2010, 12:24:02 PM
QuoteWhen does their protesting start to infringe on our rights? Aren't there any laws or rules that could prevent them from bringing the bullhorn? For the most part I tried to ignore them (I don't much mind the signs), but that one day I could hear them IN the convention center, which is ridiculous.
Well, short of a protracted constitutional battle, we'll never be able to stop them from protesting, however, it they were that loud, there might be city ordinances that could at least make them shut off any amplification they were using. 

Just wanted to clear up that I don't want to stop them from protesting, just the loudspeaker.

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/sanjose.htm

Not sure if that is still the official law but:

"10.16.010 Disturbing the peace prohibited.

No person shall disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of any neighborhood by creating therein any disturbing or unreasonably loud noise.

B. The following types of noises are declared to be disturbing to the peace, quiet and comfort of the neighborhood in which they are heard, and persons creating such noises are in violation of Section 10.16.010:

...6. Disturbing or unreasonably loud shouting, screaming, wailing or other vocalization that is disturbing or unreasonably loud to a reasonable person outside the facility or unit from which the noise emanates.

...10.16.040 Issuance of permit.

B. The chief of police may deny the permit application for any of the following reasons:

1. The applicant has been convicted of a crime related to disturbance of the peace within the past three years or has been found civilly liable for the creation of a public or private nuisance by means of unreasonably loud or disturbing noise.

2. The applicant has knowingly made false statements in the application.

3. The proposed location(s) and/or time(s) for the use of the loudspeaker, sound amplifier, or other similar equipment would be likely to create a disturbance of the peace as set out in Sections 10.16.010 and 10.16.020 of this code.

C. The permit shall be issued only after payment of the permit fee set forth in the schedule of fees established by resolution of the council.

D. 1. The chief of police may set reasonable time, place, manner, sound level and duration restrictions on the use of loudspeakers, sound amplifiers and similar devices as a condition for the issuance of a loudspeaker permit.

2. In setting reasonable time, place and manner restrictions, the chief of police may consider, but is not limited to consideration of, the following factors:

a. Proximity of the proposed use to residential neighborhoods, medical facilities and schools;

b. Other proposed applicants who wish to use the same or a nearby area during the same time period;

c. The likelihood that the proposed use will create a disturbance of the peace;"

Just saying this could come to Con go'ers advantage next year. I doubt they have permits to use the loud speaker and they were loud enough to be disruptive. Could always print out a copy of the code and hand it to the police who are actually pretty conveniently located nearby.

2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

BrightHeart76

Quote from: Knightfire on May 31, 2010, 07:47:49 PM
You should see their van

Best "protester" moment of the con for me.  Standing in line for FLOW we were all watching the guy standing there with his sign when the van drove by.  I hear from the girl beside me "Does that ACTUALLY say 'Turn or Burn'?"  The tone of voice and inflection made me laugh for days!

As far as the noise goes, here's an interesting fact-oid.  My room was in the Hilton, on the 10th floor and I could hear them from my room.  I concidered calling the front desk to complain, but realized that probably wouldn't do any good.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.