PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF THE FANIME BUILDING

Started by danielvutran, May 31, 2010, 07:14:25 PM

xell

haha, I remember them. It was actually quite a funny/ awkward scene. My friend and I were laughing so hard. those cube cosplayers blocked them, and they had to struggle to keep clear so people could see them. it was so cute. XD
I didn't know what they were saying though, I was laughing too hard to listen.

amaya_JDB

I give kudos to the guy wearing a black sweatshirt saying "DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" on the back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYje57V_BY
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Green_Tea on June 01, 2010, 03:01:35 PM
Quote from: CaptainYossarian on June 01, 2010, 12:24:02 PM
QuoteWhen does their protesting start to infringe on our rights? Aren't there any laws or rules that could prevent them from bringing the bullhorn? For the most part I tried to ignore them (I don't much mind the signs), but that one day I could hear them IN the convention center, which is ridiculous.
Well, short of a protracted constitutional battle, we'll never be able to stop them from protesting, however, it they were that loud, there might be city ordinances that could at least make them shut off any amplification they were using. 

Just wanted to clear up that I don't want to stop them from protesting, just the loudspeaker.

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/sanjose.htm

Not sure if that is still the official law but:

"10.16.010 Disturbing the peace prohibited.

No person shall disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of any neighborhood by creating therein any disturbing or unreasonably loud noise.

B. The following types of noises are declared to be disturbing to the peace, quiet and comfort of the neighborhood in which they are heard, and persons creating such noises are in violation of Section 10.16.010:

...6. Disturbing or unreasonably loud shouting, screaming, wailing or other vocalization that is disturbing or unreasonably loud to a reasonable person outside the facility or unit from which the noise emanates.

...10.16.040 Issuance of permit.

B. The chief of police may deny the permit application for any of the following reasons:

1. The applicant has been convicted of a crime related to disturbance of the peace within the past three years or has been found civilly liable for the creation of a public or private nuisance by means of unreasonably loud or disturbing noise.

2. The applicant has knowingly made false statements in the application.

3. The proposed location(s) and/or time(s) for the use of the loudspeaker, sound amplifier, or other similar equipment would be likely to create a disturbance of the peace as set out in Sections 10.16.010 and 10.16.020 of this code.

C. The permit shall be issued only after payment of the permit fee set forth in the schedule of fees established by resolution of the council.

D. 1. The chief of police may set reasonable time, place, manner, sound level and duration restrictions on the use of loudspeakers, sound amplifiers and similar devices as a condition for the issuance of a loudspeaker permit.

2. In setting reasonable time, place and manner restrictions, the chief of police may consider, but is not limited to consideration of, the following factors:

a. Proximity of the proposed use to residential neighborhoods, medical facilities and schools;

b. Other proposed applicants who wish to use the same or a nearby area during the same time period;

c. The likelihood that the proposed use will create a disturbance of the peace;"

Just saying this could come to Con go'ers advantage next year. I doubt they have permits to use the loud speaker and they were loud enough to be disruptive. Could always print out a copy of the code and hand it to the police who are actually pretty conveniently located nearby.

See thats what I was complaining about!!! I don't care if they want to go screaming their lungs out at people but the megaphone disturbs all the photo shoots that people are doing out next to the fountain, can't we do something about the megaphones for next year???
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Beastcub

i agree that the megaphone was a bit much.

also are they even protestting the con itself or just there due to the huge crowd looking to try and convert people? either way their presence seemed rather pointless and that it was a huge waste of time on their part.

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Beastcub on June 01, 2010, 05:31:28 PM
i agree that the megaphone was a bit much.

also are they even protestting the con itself or just there due to the huge crowd looking to try and convert people? either way their presence seemed rather pointless and that it was a huge waste of time on their part.

Well at one point in time they said we were like preaching fanime or something.... but then again the next day they called us freaks of nature so who really knows if there was even a point to start, overall a waste of their time but fairly entertaining when Jesus went up there :D
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Kyra_Maverick

Wow, and here I was thinking they didn't show up at all this year. I spent Friday night selling in the Swap Meet and Saturday in the K-On! marathon. I had no idea they were there.

I did keep hearing sirens throughout the weekend though...

Glitch

I am glad to see they weren't there for very long. I remember only catching a glimpes of them on my way back from carl's jr.
I'm surpised jesus went up to them this year again. I could have sworn on the forums he said he was done with them. But anyway, thanks Rovers for doing your job and doing it well.

Stormfalcon

Whoever had the idea of parking that moving van in front of them on Saturday, all I have to say is Genius! :D

Likewise, the Tetris/Rubik's Cube/misc. cosplayer free-for-all on Friday did a great job of distracting people from them. :D
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Akito_starwind

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on June 01, 2010, 11:52:33 AM
I've been wondering this -- are they still actual protesters, or are they just trolling us? It would be a pretty elaborate thing to do to troll us, but you really have to wonder...
Ya I don't believe they are protesting Fanime or anime.  They just know there is a big crowd at the Con center, that has a lot of ears. So they are Broadcasters not Protesters. They would probably be out side doing the same thing at any 14k people event. They could even be the same group of people that have been know to show up and Yell at Christen events. "I know it sounds weird but it has happened..."  But I vote SJPD remove the blow-horn.  But it was funny when fans had there own horns and where yelling back " see I got a horn too.... Not so loud are you.."  a simple fix for next year is that we play anime music from boom boxes or such just enough to drown them out but not loud enough to disturb hotel guest. then we have cool music that oh most all Fans know and like. and I really don't think Broadcasters would like to stand there not being heard and having to lesion to music in a foreign language. 

jacktchance

Quote from: Akito_starwind on June 01, 2010, 07:49:12 PM
They would probably be out side doing the same thing at any 14k people event. They could even be the same group of people that have been know to show up and Yell at Christen events.
They have actually done the same numerous times at numerous non-Fanime events (Sharks games, concerts, etc).

AuroraDreamer

They actually are protesters. I recognized one of them from the people who come to my college every quarter. They are Reborn Again Christians. I have talked with them when they came to my school once. They can be nice, if you don't act or look "out there".

Pen2AndyP

Reborn-again, lol. Who's up for a counter-protest against the protestors?

Ryuzhin

Quote from: amaya_JDB on June 01, 2010, 04:41:07 PM
I give kudos to the guy wearing a black sweatshirt saying "DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" on the back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYje57V_BY

There was somebody with a black sweatshirt that said on the back "Don't feed the trolls"? Or you saw a guy in a black sweatshirt saying that? Cause I wore a black shirt and I said that loudly, mostly because my friends would constantly want to stop and, as they said, 'School them on Christian behavior'. Funnily enough, my Pentecostal friend actually made one of them surrender in a belief match.

Stormfalcon

Quote from: Pen2AndyP on June 02, 2010, 03:00:57 AM

I'd say no, since con staff has clearly stated that they don't want us to, and it'd essentially be feeding the trolls.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

AuroraDreamer

Quote from: Pen2AndyP on June 02, 2010, 03:00:57 AM
Yea, please don't. It's not worth it.

Tony

If I may clear up some questions...

These protesters are against, like, everything. They protest other conventions, Christian groups, even Christmas in the Park. All they care about is that there are a lot of people outside - they don't care that you're into anime, cosplay, or whatever.

These protesters are essentially trolls. They document everything and are just waiting to catch their martyrdom on camera. Pretending they don't exist is the best way to respond.

These protesters are very well-trained and well-prepared. They have heard everything you can think of and already have responses waiting. They have been doing this for years, and there is nothing new or clever you can say to make them leave or change their mind.

Arguing, counter-protesting, or simply talking to them is futile. They won't be persuaded. And whenever you engage with them, you're letting them win.

They are 100% legal and they work hard to remain legal. They're very careful, so we can't simply tell them to leave, or call the cops. But that said...

We are working on several fixes for this situation, and we have a lot of really great ideas to try next year. I'll be sad that there won't be the hilarious mashups with the Jesus cosplayers, but it's worth it to ensure our attendees have a great time and don't get bothered by jerks.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

FanFicGuru

Ignoring them worked. While the protesters were annoying, what was even more annoying were kids who were like "Hey let's go antagonize the protesters! Whee!" No. All that does is provoke them and prove their point and then they have footage to show their church that they wrangled with the devil and won.

In case you didn't notice, the protesters left Saturday afternoon and didn't come back. I think they were there for a total of like, 8 or 10 hours. Mainly because people were thoroughly ignoring them for the most part. So, keep that in mind for next year.

Also: mad props to Rovers.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Pen2AndyP

Loved the rovers this year too, I was also kidding about the counter-protest. That kind of sucks the fun times inside the convention for me anyways. Only problem I had was the slow response in removal of a few public nuisances and odd incidents such as the man masturbating in the fountain.

Reason

The protesters were.. hilarious to put it bluntly.

:P
"Adventure, Excitement, a Jedi craves not these things."

MishaRose22

I'm glad they moved towards the end of the street where the Marriott was after a little while. Except, when they were there, they were stopping cosplayers and making rude remarks to their faces. It was very tiresome to watch.
In my honest opinion, though, as annoying as they were, it is probably for the best that they are ignored.

(I did have fun taking this picture, however . . .)

http://misharose22.deviantart.com/art/One-Way-Ticket-to-Hell-166170973