Ninja game!

Started by pikaachi, May 31, 2010, 11:10:53 PM

Boozer

Quote from: lunarknight on June 13, 2010, 11:44:19 PM
It was an awesome game. I played for most of the day on Sunday.

BTW, I got a group shot of the entire ninja team who played on Sunday. Does anyone want it?
yeah deffinetly post it up ... any time
Quote from: RoboWaffle on June 14, 2010, 04:12:23 AM
Ninja this year was.... interesting to say the least. I was Sanji early on Saturday and in a black Fedora with a button up shirt any other time I played this year.  Definitely a lot of rule confusion and a bit of butthurt which just left a bad taste to the game. However, those of you who were out for some clean fun were a blast to play with. It was great meeting up with familiar veterans from last year and spreading the ninja spirit. I'm certainly down for a gathering whenever.

black fedora i think i know this person but not sure

lunarknight

lunarknight

this should be everyone who played on Sunday . . . . I think

Boozer

Quote from: lunarknight on June 17, 2010, 12:53:17 AM

ok kakashi the guy in front with the mask guy in white suit and lady in blue jumper oh my god they where fun to play with T.T im sad i ws not in it seeing as i had to leave around midnight sunday  cause was lock out of room and had no where to stash my drunken friend

kohana ichibana

I wish I could have joined!! I was always tired from Artist Alley. D: My bf went to a late night ninja game that went on for 3 hours. The people he played with were intense (people from my school). He had scratches and bruises from jumping into unseen bushes and tripping over other people. They were all sore for a week. :D
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

DarkfallDC

Ahhhh. I loved playing Ninja with you guys. I was the Professor Layton, otherwise dubbed "The Orange Ninja".  Sliding kills all day! Looking forward to next year!

lunarknight

Kakashi, guy in white, and mask were the toughest people to play in the Sunday game

But I think out of everyone in the Sunday game the mask guy was the toughest since he would usually make it to the last two

Boozer

lol i usally made it to the last 3 if not finals

Zalice

Quote from: STATUSQUOcTho on June 11, 2010, 04:37:55 PM
other short asian guy with long hair
lol thanks QT

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 05, 2010, 08:12:09 PM
I'm glad that the game is alive and well after we started playing in the game room last year, but the rules this year were absurd.
I'll give you the original rules as I was taught them last year:
1) Moving:
     a) Only 1 jump OR step is allowed.
     b) Head movement is always allowed.
     c) Exact position (besides head) must be held between turns unless dodging.
     d) torso can't move to check where another person's hands are.  You have to keep your pose except for your head.
     e) Your hands must keep the open palm position at all times.  You can't close it at all.
     f) You can't hide your hands in your pocket, armpit, between your legs, or anything like that.  They have to stay visible and actually reachable.
     g) Don't leave your hands near anything you don't want touched or hit.  Don't put them neat your face, your butt, groin, or chest if you're a girl.
     h) You can't stay on the floor, this game was meant for standing originally.  You can't keep your hands on the floor either.  Do everything in your power to avoid being on the floor.  If you fall on the floor, you're allowed to use your next turn to "recover", where you can stand up and assume a position using more moves than the fluid rules apply.
     i) You can't cartwheel or dive into a roll.  Those aren't single fluid motions.
     j) If you assume a pose, you have to hold that pose.  If you can't hold that pose, you're eliminated.  This means if you stand on 1 leg and can't keep that pose, you lose.

2) Attack:
     a) 1 fluid motion that must be done while your body moves.  It's 1 fluid motion, not 2.  Step then strike is 2 moves.
     b) Both hands can be moved at once, but not one after the other.
     c) Your hand(s) must remain where they are when they stop moving.
            ie. In a jab, you can't retract your hand after it stops moving in the original direction.
     d) You aren't allowed to make your opponent flinch.  You move or you don't, no faking out.
     e) The entire hand counts as a hit, the wrist and below is safe.
     f) You can't make any intentional body contact with your opponent excluding your hand slapping theirs.  You can't lean on anyone, put your hand on their shoulder, rest your foot on their leg, be back to back, no contact.  I heard about people body checking and elbow checking this year, are you guys serious?

3) Dodging:
     a) If you believe an opponent is attacking you, you may take a single step or pivot to avoid them.  The fluid motion rules apply to your upper body, but you can only take 1 step or pivot with your feet.
    b)  If you change position when you think they're attacking, but they didn't attack, you have to resume your original position.

I believe that's all of the original rules.

I agree with all of that but I believe the "1 step or pivot" gives too much leniency for the defender and I think with everyone else playing ninja (their time away from Fanime) might abuse or skew the rules on that one and when playing with others not use to their rules, confusion between players might happen and have a similar effect with Fanime this year. Just my suggestions, but I have to say when playing at Fanime'09 I didn't remember having a 1 step or pivot.

Quote from: Relsek on June 01, 2010, 10:45:10 PM
            ie. In a jab, you can't retract your hand after it stops moving in the original direction.

Relsek I agree with all of those rules as well, but I think with the rule of "f) You can't hide your hands in your pocket, armpit, between your legs, or anything like that.  They have to stay visible and actually reachable." covers the jab issue because what stops the defender from jabbing the attacker on his turn. Another thing I think jabs should be done with an slight elliptical arch and with no malicious intent for obvious reasons, essentially a tap on contact.

Those were just my suggestions.  ;)

Zalice

btw I definitely agree with the ninja gathering. I live in San Jose as well. :)

JTchinoy

i'll change the pivot rule.  i realized the next day it isn't allowed, but i never mentioned it. :)

as for an elliptical swing, that's up to you on how vulnerable you want to be after your move. ;)

there's tricks to your attacks to keep you safe after your move. 

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Rhornez

Quote from: Boozer on June 17, 2010, 01:44:56 AM
Quote from: lunarknight on June 17, 2010, 12:53:17 AM

ok kakashi the guy in front with the mask guy in white suit and lady in blue jumper oh my god they where fun to play with T.T im sad i ws not in it seeing as i had to leave around midnight sunday  cause was lock out of room and had no where to stash my drunken friend
i played with the same people and i must agree they were fun i wish i knew there names so i can play with them again

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Boozer

cant wait to play again. will be heading there again this year should be there thursday night after work so if anyone wants to play i be there.

animefreak

You guys ready for another action packed filled game of Ninja this year in the Game Room!!!! Cuz im gonna pown all you guys with my supa ninja powers!!!!

P.S. May the best NINJA win!!!

abcbadcat

This has been one of my favorite things to do at Fanime since I learned it from JTchinoy back in 09 (I think it was).

So happy to see this game has grown throughout the con and can't wait to play with everyone again this year!