FanimeCon 2010 eGaming (Console + PC) Event Results + Feedback Thread

Started by xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi), June 01, 2010, 01:35:13 AM

CaptainYossarian

PC gaming was a lot of fun but throughly under-attended. I found when you set up your own machine you'd eventually attract company, and I met a few cool people while I was there, but it was so unpublicized, not a terrible lot of people brought there machines or even knew it existed. What it really needs next year is a sort of "critical mass" of people hanging about at all times just to get things started. 
"Did I know Szat would betray us?" Urza asked quizzically. "I was counting on it"

Silent One

Quote from: Richie Likes Maids on June 02, 2010, 11:03:25 PM
PC Gaming: Were there more games available other than StarCraft? That's all I saw people playing when I passed by PC Gaming.

E-Gaming: The IIDX setup was nice, but when I played on Friday the 1P turntable wasn't working properly so I had to use Auto-Scratch. Also, the banner was a little confusing, as it said IIDX 17 Sirius, but the game interface was that of Empress. Also, the songlist was confusing as well, but as I understood it, it was custom.

I can answer that question, though I am not staff. Fortunately, this is credible because my source is from the head of tabletop gaming. Anyway, from what I have heard from him, someone forgot to bring CD-keys and the game disks for the other games. As a result, the only game that was on the computer was nothing more than StarCraft. In fact, I even checked what games there were on the guest account just to make sure. I can understand about Fanime not running pirated games and will fully agree with their policy on it. However, I will complain about the fact that there could have minor alternatives to the letdown. For example, there could have been some non-online freeware games running? Single-player games would've worked too if they were present. Simply put, I disliked the fact that the revival of PC gaming was a huge letdown. On a side note, since I live in San Jose, I do plan on staffing next year for PC gaming to make sure this won't happen again, to make sure PC gaming doesn't die out, and out of my sheer boredom. :)

Edit: I do hope I am wrong about the fact that there is only StarCraft on PC gaming because I am a PC gamer myself and went to Fanime before they shut it down temporarily.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: Silent One on June 17, 2010, 11:22:43 PMI can answer that question, though I am not staff. Fortunately, this is credible because my source is from the head of tabletop gaming. Anyway, from what I have heard from him, someone forgot to bring CD-keys and the game disks for the other games. As a result, the only game that was on the computer was nothing more than StarCraft.

PM me about this.  I would like to know the full story on this.  Thanks.

Quote from: Silent One on June 17, 2010, 11:22:43 PMOn a side note, since I live in San Jose, I do plan on staffing next year for PC gaming to make sure this won't happen again, to make sure PC gaming doesn't die out, and out of my sheer boredom. :)

Check the Staff & Volunteers section.  Meetings will be posted.  :)

Quote from: Silent One on June 17, 2010, 11:22:43 PMEdit: I do hope I am wrong about the fact that there is only StarCraft on PC gaming because I am a PC gamer myself and went to Fanime before they shut it down temporarily.

Hmmm.  When did they shut it down temporarily?
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

NOTE: eGaming will be at the upcoming Spirit of Japan Festival next Saturday!  For those who want to talk to eGaming in person regarding next year's eGaming or would like to request games, let us know ASAP!  ;D
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

Rank

I was disappointed to see the L4D2 tournament held on a console lol. It's kind of ridiculous to get srs bsns about L4D2 nowadays with the comp scene utterly DEAD and a bit of a joke anyway after the L4D(1) comp scene collapsed, but if there's going to be a L4D2 tournament it really should be on a PC with the proper confogl mod. Without confogl, it's impossible to take the game even a little seriously.

But I mean, it might not even be worth it anymore because the competitive L4D2 scene is a niche one anyway. Who knows if there will be a big enough turn out for a tournament for even one or two games. :S

Silent One

Quote from: Rank on January 18, 2011, 05:23:32 PM
I was disappointed to see the L4D2 tournament held on a console lol. It's kind of ridiculous to get srs bsns about L4D2 nowadays with the comp scene utterly DEAD and a bit of a joke anyway after the L4D(1) comp scene collapsed, but if there's going to be a L4D2 tournament it really should be on a PC with the proper confogl mod. Without confogl, it's impossible to take the game even a little seriously.

But I mean, it might not even be worth it anymore because the competitive L4D2 scene is a niche one anyway. Who knows if there will be a big enough turn out for a tournament for even one or two games. :S

There is a problem with that though. It is a Steam game. Even it was up and running, the games running off of PC wouldn't have sound. Therefore, unless one brings their own headphones and have a way to make it a non-Steam game, it probably wouldn't show up on the PC at Fanime. The Nazi Zombie mods on Call of Duty: World at War, on the other hand, is a very possible option.

Rank

Quote from: Silent One on January 19, 2011, 12:35:24 AM

There is a problem with that though. It is a Steam game. Even it was up and running, the games running off of PC wouldn't have sound. Therefore, unless one brings their own headphones and have a way to make it a non-Steam game, it probably wouldn't show up on the PC at Fanime. The Nazi Zombie mods on Call of Duty: World at War, on the other hand, is a very possible option.

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that! I assumed everybody's got a pair headphones but the steam thing slipped my mind. I guess that knocks out the plausibility of PC CS and TF2 since I don't think you can bypass either without russian hacking and/or illegal patching as well. :T

Nazi Zombies is a pretty worthy substitute though.

EJAY420

these games are pretty nostalgic to me. if would be awesome to find these games at the con:

Bust a Groove 1 and 2 (PSX)

2001 Dance Summit (ps2)
Most Impressive.