FanimeCon 2010 eGaming (Console + PC) Event Results + Feedback Thread

Started by xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi), June 01, 2010, 01:35:13 AM

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Hello,

For those who have went to the Exhibit Hall 3 for eGaming (Console + PC) this year, please post any thoughts that you guys have of this year's eGaming.

What did you guys liked about egaming?
What did you guys think we should improve for eGaming?
What suggestions and additions do you guys recommend for next year?

(FanimeCon 2010 Guide)

=============

And so the tournament results are in:

FRIDAY:

Street Fighter III: Third Strike (PS2)
  • 1st: Andrew Alandy
  • 2nd: Marcos Blanco
  • 3rd: Kyle Boyd

Halo 3 (X360) - 4 Vs. 4
  • 1st: Team Wolves
  • 2nd: Team Blu

Super Mario Bros (NES) - Speed Run Contest
  • 1st: Jonathan Cervantes
  • 2nd: Michael Pack

SATURDAY:

DJ Hero (PS3)
  • 1st: Kyle (Roxas)
  • 2nd: Dan (Haseo)
  • 3rd: Phillip Reed

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS3)
  • 1st: Matthew
  • 2nd: Randy Mai
  • 3rd: Batman77

Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) - Competitive
  • 1st: Sean
  • 2nd: Michael

Dance Dance Revolution MAX2 (PS2) - Perfect Attack
  • 1st: John (KayOss)
  • 2nd: Twone (Son Rose)
  • 3rd: Peter (Hamm)

Super Street Fighter IV
  • 1st: Geoff Yoon
  • 2nd: Joshua Drake
  • 3rd: Andrew Alandy

SUNDAY:

Starcraft (PC)
  • 1st: Bob Ngyuen and Long Tran
  • 2nd: Edward Kim and Paul Oparko
NOTE: Bob won the special round

Pokemon (NDS) – Double Battle
  • 1st: Sean briscoe
  • 2nd: Sayura

Tetris DS (NDS)
  • 1st: Robert
  • 2nd: Edward

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars (Wii)
  • 1st: Traka
  • 2nd: Calvin
  • 3rd: Koru

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) - 4-Way FUBAR
  • 1st: Jackson
  • 2nd: sky

Left 4 Dead 2 (X360) - 4 Vs. 4
  • 1st: Team Cheater
  • 2nd: Black Power

Tekken 6 (PS3)
  • 1st: JTchinoy
  • 2nd: Renzo

Due to insufficient entries, Bleach Blade Battlers and Unreal Tournament were cancelled.

DDR Freestyle Exhibition will be uploaded soon. Stay Tuned.

=============

Special Thanks:
+ MadCatz for the Sponsorship for sticks!
+ FanimeCon for allowing us to host eGaming and support!
+ The Staff of eGaming for making this happen!
+ The fans who come in to play!

=============

We will gladly take whatever opinions you guys have to improve eGaming next year!

Thanks and see ya guys next year!

Jonas
Co-Head
eGaming
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

buzzsaw13

eGaming was pretty good like every other year. The PC gaming however was quite the letdown. I can understand no admin on the computers since theyre owned by staff, but it does cause some problems if the owner is not around when something that needs admin needs to be done (updates, downloading maps, etc.)

Also it was quite a large letdown when the person running the SC1 tourney was lacking in knowledge of how to run a tourney, and openly refused any help that was given to him, then waiting until things messed up before taking said advice. Also the whole having a pretentious know it all attitude didn't help him either.

Raydere

I was disappointed by this year's Console Gaming selection. It seemed like this year it was almost entirely fighters with the occasional FPS and rare appearances of older consoles and scrolling shooters (often the only one available was Ikaruga). But most people who walk into a gaming room want fighters and GH/RB, and if people who don't play those kinda of games have to be shut out just so those who are can play, then I'll just have to accept it.

Also, no supergun this year. I'm pretty sure that isn't Kenchan's fault though.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

AmazingKenchan

): lol, I don't have any games anymore, just one or two.  It wasn't anything worth bringing a supergun for, sadly.

EDIT: I just heard from a friend that apparently there were a few guys on staff running SSFIV on console, and not letting anybody else play.  If anybody saw this and can provide information, I'd like to know.  I'm looking into it myself, but that's just not acceptable if someone on one of our depts doesn't follow our own rules.
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: buzzsaw13 on June 01, 2010, 02:29:40 AMAlso it was quite a large letdown when the person running the SC1 tourney was lacking in knowledge of how to run a tourney, and openly refused any help that was given to him, then waiting until things messed up before taking said advice. Also the whole having a pretentious know it all attitude didn't help him either.

Do you know who ran the SC tournament?  I will speak to the PC Gaming section to see what they can do to have this issue resolved.

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on June 01, 2010, 03:18:17 AMI was disappointed by this year's Console Gaming selection. It seemed like this year it was almost entirely fighters with the occasional FPS and rare appearances of older consoles and scrolling shooters (often the only one available was Ikaruga). But most people who walk into a gaming room want fighters and GH/RB, and if people who don't play those kinda of games have to be shut out just so those who are can play, then I'll just have to accept it.

For future references, which genre of games would you prefer?  We will look up to working a solution to satisfy the masses and those who want to play specific games, as long as people have something to play and monitor people who try to play nonstop.

Xanreo

I liked Taiko; that is all and was all I played.

:)

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Raydere

Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on June 01, 2010, 01:30:06 PM
Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on June 01, 2010, 03:18:17 AMI was disappointed by this year's Console Gaming selection. It seemed like this year it was almost entirely fighters with the occasional FPS and rare appearances of older consoles and scrolling shooters (often the only one available was Ikaruga). But most people who walk into a gaming room want fighters and GH/RB, and if people who don't play those kinda of games have to be shut out just so those who are can play, then I'll just have to accept it.

For future references, which genre of games would you prefer?  We will look up to working a solution to satisfy the masses and those who want to play specific games, as long as people have something to play and monitor people who try to play nonstop.
[/quote]
Scrolling shooters (as implied), 2D platformers, and beat-em-ups.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on June 01, 2010, 02:42:47 PM

For future references, which genre of games would you prefer?  We will look up to working a solution to satisfy the masses and those who want to play specific games, as long as people have something to play and monitor people who try to play nonstop.
[/quote]

What time were you at eGaming?

abcbadcat

I really enjoyed the selection of games going on.

I was very disappointed that SSFIV couldn't be played on consoles but it is completely understandable.

There wasn't anything else I could have wanted but I mainly play SSFIV and IIDX.

I kinda wanted to play some Unreal Tournament 2K4 but the PC gaming was constantly on Starcraft (at least most of the time I walked by)

OH YEAH: Maximum Tune needed to be 3DX. This was the second year that the softwear was outdated and I know by next year, 3DX+ will be out so hopefully we'll have that available.

Raydere

Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on June 01, 2010, 02:56:13 PM
Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on June 01, 2010, 02:42:47 PM

What time were you at eGaming?
[/quote]
I was there quite a bit; it seemed like the less mainstream games were on mainly late at night.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Hmmm.  I would like to know when people are available so that we can see if certain stations will have set times outside of tournament use. ???

Remember people, we cannot have games that are available via arcade.  In addition, any arcade feedback would be best in the arcade section.

Somebody

I just saw this thread after replying in the other feedback thread, however I'll say it again  :)
I had an excellent time dealing with the staff in eGaming, very helpful and polite no matter when I came in; it helped make my own job easier! Thanks!  :) (~Ama from ZNN)
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Skyline

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on June 01, 2010, 03:18:17 AM
But most people who walk into a gaming room want fighters and GH/RB, and if people who don't play those kinda of games have to be shut out just so those who are can play, then I'll just have to accept it.

Similar things happened last year as well, systems repeatedly got bumped off to make room for L4D/MW and the like, those systems were usually stuff like the Dreamcast and Genesis.  That works both ways as well, someone could easily also make a request for a vacant Halo to be converted into a 4-player Chu Chu Rocket deathmatch.

I'm surprised at how much of the game room was running some form of Smash.  Don't get me wrong: amazing game series, popularity is a given, but the fact that the main reason Ikaruga was a constant on the floor was because the only working copy of Melee was already in a Wii kind of makes you think.  There were multiple requests a day for it to be converted to a Melee set.

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for diversity in a game room, if anything just because there wasn't a whole lot of opportunity to put out some potentially awesome games for people to enjoy, like Rez on the DDR tourney setup (the one with the speakers), a proper New Super Mario Bros. Wii setup (which was quite a hit at Sac-Anime) or Shooting Love 200X on Kenchan's 360.
FanimeCon: eGaming Staff, 2009-2011
Sac-Anime Summer/Winter: Console Game Room Staff, 2009-2011
SNAFU Con: Console Game Room Co-Director, 2010-2011

Raydere

Last year at least had more diversity than this year's; I fondly remember playing Secret of Mana (3-player adventure game) and 4-player Puyo-Puyo last year. Neither was seen this year.

ket

Quote from: AmazingKenchan on June 01, 2010, 03:31:44 AM
): lol, I don't have any games anymore, just one or two.  It wasn't anything worth bringing a supergun for, sadly.

EDIT: I just heard from a friend that apparently there were a few guys on staff running SSFIV on console, and not letting anybody else play.  If anybody saw this and can provide information, I'd like to know.  I'm looking into it myself, but that's just not acceptable if someone on one of our depts doesn't follow our own rules.

Oh I saw that. I was playing left for dead2 with a couple ppl, fate/stay game going on beside us I believe, and we noticed like half a dozen ppl made up of volunteers and staff playing SSFIV behind the tables. Another staff member even came by and seemed to get a little angry at them for a moment but let them keep playing. I'm not sure now, but I even think the guy joined them?

Xepherian

Personally I don't own any older games apart from my 360 & Wii, but whatever older games I truly did enjoy were to be found on my Xbox, such as Ikaruga and Streets of Rage. Same for my Wii, Shinobi, Mega Man, Streets of Rage (yeah, got it twice).

Otherwise, in my young days, I went from a Sega Genesis straight to a PS1, no Saturn, no Dreamcast, no N64. So a lot of the games that people wanted to play that weren't FPS / BEUs, I do not own.

Sad to say, it will probably always be that way with me.

on another note, my L4D2 tournament succeeded! :)

buzzsaw13

Quote from: buzzsaw13 on June 01, 2010, 02:29:40 AMAlso it was quite a large letdown when the person running the SC1 tourney was lacking in knowledge of how to run a tourney, and openly refused any help that was given to him, then waiting until things messed up before taking said advice. Also the whole having a pretentious know it all attitude didn't help him either.

Do you know who ran the ran the SC tournament?  I will speak to the PC Gaming section to see what they can do to have this issue resolved.

His name was patrick, I have some friends who are staff who also complained about him.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Regarding people playing SSFIV behind the tables, if there were staffers playing a few hours before the SSFIV tournament, I would presume it was for testing purposes to ensure the game was working properly.  However, if outside that timeline, it is unacceptable.  This is being investigated.  If a Volunteer was playing SSFIV behind the tables, then that is a huge violation and I would like to get that name.  Volunteers should NEVER be back at the staff area under any circumstances.

I do agree that diversity is needed.  We'll work on something about more game rotations.

Quote from: buzzsaw13 on June 02, 2010, 12:03:30 PM

Do you know who ran the ran the SC tournament?  I will speak to the PC Gaming section to see what they can do to have this issue resolved.

His name was patrick, I have some friends who are staff who also complained about him.

Which staff complained about him?

============

ADDITIONAL NOTE: If you feel like mentioning names is too public to discuss, you can always hit us a PM.

Virtual Boy

I'm just glad my Super Mario Bros speed run tournament went well. I didn't realize it would get such a big crowd going. Lol. Hopefully next year, we can put the finals on a big screen somewhere...

Also, we've had requests for Super Mario World speed run. Apparently, SMB 3 won't work because of that stupid random hand that grabs you in world 8... plus its easier so yeah, no both players game over and then rematch. Although, it was pretty epic when that happened on Friday lol.

I'm a big old school guy, so if anyone has suggestions go for it! Lol.

SMB3 Battle Tournament would be nice (pretty self explanatory)

AmazingKenchan

That dual-gun duck hunt tournament is sooooo on.  I might not be eGaming next year either, but I'll help you make sure there's a great speedrun tournament set up, and maybe a second one that's a combination of 5 or so games :3

I'm thinking what we might do is instead of making sure only to have tournament games on-site that we'll make a second list.  It'd have all the games that should be running 24/7 on one side, and every single personal request from the forums on another, that way we make sure those random classics that people want to play are there.  I think with more TVs we can manage that, so we don't have to take down yet another station for Brawl or some crap.

On my friend's behalf, it was not cool seeing his Super C run end on loop 4 because someone wanted to take the TV for a tournament ):
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head