This year's convention seemed kinda... meh

Started by bebop, June 01, 2010, 03:06:41 PM

ice queen

I was in a similar rut like you ash chan. I was in the hotel mainly cause of maintence issues with the room. But when I did go it was a lot of fun I think. I haven't been to Fanime in years...actually suprised to see fimilar faces like RyuHayabusa. Sadly no one remembered me ;.;

2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: ice queen on June 02, 2010, 03:56:29 PM
I was in a similar rut like you ash chan. I was in the hotel mainly cause of maintence issues with the room. But when I did go it was a lot of fun I think. I haven't been to Fanime in years...actually suprised to see fimilar faces like RyuHayabusa. Sadly no one remembered me ;.;

You saw me? You could've come up to me and say hi lol :D
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

NerdyBirdAsh

I have no friggin clue how I hurt my ankle so badly.
I didn't fall, I didn't twist it, I was simply walking.
And my ankle is now bruised and gross and swollen. :c
It didn't help that I kept walking on it through the con, but I couldn't let my Gyarados go to waste!
I just didn't get to go to the rave or a couple of the panels that I planned on going to because I took so many naps to get away from the pain. xD

Oh well.
Winning a prize on the Stackers game for the 2nd year in a row alone pretty much made my weekend.
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

ice queen

Quote from: ash_chan on June 02, 2010, 04:02:18 PM

I have no friggin clue how I hurt my ankle so badly.
I didn't fall, I didn't twist it, I was simply walking.
And my ankle is now bruised and gross and swollen. :c
It didn't help that I kept walking on it through the con, but I couldn't let my Gyarados go to waste!
I just didn't get to go to the rave or a couple of the panels that I planned on going to because I took so many naps to get away from the pain. xD

Oh well.
Winning a prize on the Stackers game for the 2nd year in a row alone pretty much made my weekend.

that's good to hear I do hope you're getting better XD
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: ash_chan on June 02, 2010, 04:02:18 PM
Oh well.
Every year I spend about $10 on that game. I can get to the top row every time, but then it starts jumping around like a spaz and I can never line it up.

NerdyBirdAsh

Quote from: ice queen on June 02, 2010, 04:06:59 PM

that's good to hear I do hope you're getting better XD

Oh yeah.
I'm still walking slowly and with a bit of a limp, but it doesn't hurt as much.
It looks worse than it feels.

I'll be back at square one tomorrow though, I have a soccer game I promised my club I'd play in.

Quote from: Kyra_MaverickEvery year I spend about $10 on that game. I can get to the top row every time, but then it starts jumping around like a spaz and I can never line it up..
I use the beats in addition to the visual cues to help line them up.
I spent $7 last year and won a DSi, I spent $25 this year and won an iPod Touch.

Here's hoping for next year? xD
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

crystalsoul

well i dont know about any of you but i loved this years fanime, maybe it was cause i finally had a hotel for every day to sleep in, and did more things, but i absolutely loved it :D

Jenius

I sorta had the same reaction... but in the last day or so I've worked it out to a couple of things: didn't read up enough about the guests to see what I wanted to sit in on and what I really could have gotten out of a few more panels. Didn't know anyone til I got there, one friend was down but we didn't get to hang out and he wasn't so into the Con, was just using it as something to do, shopping in the dealer's room and 'people watching', but I was hoping to go and sit and learn a few things on top of all that. I was hoping to find more art related stuff going on- completely missed a couple of poorly named panels on design, should have sat and read the guide a lot more carefully. Now I'm bummed not because of the con, but b/c they had a bit of what I was looking for, but I didn't see it.

I do have to say the lines and having to choose between event or line-sitting is getting a bit old though. I think FC should consider a cap now before it really gets out of hand like some others; too large for their own good and for the fans to enjoy. That can really hit your rep.

It totally helps to have a room and to be connected to what's going on after hours.

Aoi Memori

too. much. hetalia... DX

i liked the con going for the first time but... i feel like it could have left a bigger impression on me. only true highlights i have of the con are the flow concert and randomly running into gaia's lanzer at the end of the con =/
Fanime 2013 Line-up
FFX Yuna - Friday
Umineko Maria/KH Xion - Saturday
Evangelion Sun dress Asuka- Sunday
KH Xion - Monday

ININ

The reason cosplay quality was lower this year compared to last year is the economy.  However, the number of cosplayers increased.  So many Pokemon, Vocaloid, and Hetalia.

MyMidnightAffair

Too much Hetalia, Bleach, KINGDOM HEARTS, and lolitas.. =____________=
They were.. everywhere.. it seemed to drown me a little.

AuroraDreamer

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on June 04, 2010, 01:13:23 PM
Too much Hetalia
Quote from: ININ on June 04, 2010, 01:12:52 PM
So many Pokemon, Vocaloid, and Hetalia.
Sorry my bad >.< It was fun being Seychelles and Misty though.

For my first Fanime it was alright. I was supprised. I usually see like tons of Naruto cosplays at other cons I have been to.

Knightfire

Starting work for Fanime 2011

AuroraDreamer

Jenius

All those national flags walking around with people attached to them...

Nina Star 9

All the Hetalia cosplay didn't bother me too much, but it's probably because I'm not familiar with it enough to know who the characters are unless they are running around waving a flag or otherwise proclaiming to be Zembla or whatever country.

The running around with giant flags was a bit of a nuisance, but I didn't see too many doing that for too long.

michiko nakano

crappy lolitas: some of those girls put a lot of heart into making or coordinating their lolita outfits, and any girl who wants to look cute deserves to do so without being criticized.  perhaps their outfits didn't seem up to par in your opinion, but at least they were dressing up and having fun.

crappy cosplays in general: once again, at least the people are having fun.  maybe they're not good at sewing or coordinating costumes, but at least there's spirit behind it. 

if you're not on staff, perhaps it's harder to realize how difficult it is to have a convention.  but there's no mature reason to talk crap about the convention just because you personally didn't enjoy it. 

if you disapprove of the cosplays, then make one that's really good and enjoy it.  but don't bring down other people who aren't as talented or experienced at cosplay.

Knightfire

Starting work for Fanime 2011

Melly

about the vocaloids

everytime i saw one

i felt about jumping them and being like

BE MORE ORIGINALLLLL.

/never was into the vocaloids to begin with

lolllllllllll.

:u;; i wish there wasn't like cosplay fads every year -sigh- but that can't be helped

Nina Star 9

By "not up to par," it's really a nicer way of saying "not actually lolita," at least for me. It has a somewhat specific aesthetic that is often done incorrectly (wrong skirt shape, too much cheap lace, costumey elements, etc.). I actually have no problem with lolis who aren't quite "there" yet, especially when they are honestly trying. (The ones who aren't trying or who think they are trying but are being ~special snowflakes~ and ~unique~ by dressing incorrectly for the style annoy me, but it's mostly because I want to help everyone improve and these types don't care about that.) I like it when people have fun, and I like it when people are trying to get into something that I'm into, especially when I can hopefully encourage them and help them along. (Though, it is hard to help anyone at a con setting because no matter how polite you are in trying to help someone, they will probably take it as being rude and attacking their clothes, but I do give advice if anyone asks~)