This year's convention seemed kinda... meh

Started by bebop, June 01, 2010, 03:06:41 PM

bebop

I don't know why but I felt like this year was very bland or not interesting. Who else agrees?

I mean, there were still nice cosplays and stuff, but aside from that I have not seen much new and interesting things.

- I saw more cheap cosplayers than good cosplayers. I think the only good cosplayers were the Teen Titan ones and this other Black Rock Shooter girl.

- Too much Gothic Lolita cosplayers instead of actual anime cosplayers

- The Black & White Ball's music this year was sorta crappy, and not even loud enough for an energetic dance.

- FAnimeCon 2010 seemed so empty compared to last year too. I have a feeling last year had twice as much people as this year, and a lot more cosplayers who were very good as well.

I dunno, it seemed kinda disappointing to me this year as I found nothing much to be surprising. anyone else feel this way?
Awakening to otaku inside. ^-^

abcbadcat

I kinda felt the same way actually. It was still a lot of fun but most of my fun rooted from hanging out with friends from out of town and going on miscellaneous spontaneous adventures.

chococlatte

I'm going to have to agree with you on the lolitas and cosplayers.  There was an event at the fairmont for the lolitas though, so that would explain all of them.  

I honestly think it's just about the people you go with.  

Lan Moore

*nod nod* Yes I did seem rather bland, not sure why it's just a feeling, like a vibe of blandness that was radiating form this year.I think part of it was also they were a little more strict and controlling this year (Rovers), when you can't have fun and do interesting things then you feel controlled... no one should feel controlled at a con. Maybe it's just me.

Kertus

To me it felt like there were less cosplayers this yeah and that alot of people's cosplays were repeats from many previous years.

I think overall it was a great con.

Maybe the perception of cosplaying had a part in the con feeling 'meh' to people?
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

Mordyan

For me this con was better than last year. Between all the musicfest concerts, Momoi quest, gaming in the game room, panels, and videos I was very satisfied. It all depends on what you are there for I guess.

I personally saw less lolita cosplays than previous years (been going since the con moved to the San Jose convention center). Anyways lolita is firmly in the otaku and anime culture so saying it doesn't belong at Fanime is a bit off the mark in my opinion. Fanime has a lolita fashion show and there are lolita dealers in the dealers hall. I mean what about the storm troopers? Or the Ewok? Or the Firefly cosplays? Or the Star Trek cosplays? Or Frank-n-Furter (Rocky Horror)? Or all the video game cosplays? None of them are anime related. For the record Japanese cosplayers cosplay all of the above and much more. Cosplay is not strictly anime.  Quoated from wikipedea:

Cosplay (コスプレ, kosupure?), short for "costume play", is type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Characters are often drawn from popular fiction in Japan. Favorite sources include manga, anime, tokusatsu, comic books, graphic novels, video games, hentai  and fantasy movies. Role play includes portrayals of J-pop and J-rock stars, Taiwanese puppet characters, science fiction characters, characters from musical stories, classic novels, and entertainment software. Any entity from the real or virtual  world that lends itself to dramatic interpretation may be taken up as a subject. Inanimate objects are given anthropomorphic forms and it is not unusual to see genders switched, with women playing male roles and vice versa.

Ok sorry, end of rant.

Nina Star 9

Lolita isn't cosplay, you guys. @____@

Anyway, Fanime isn't just a celebration of anime, it's a celebration of Japanese culture, Japanese fashion included. I don't see what's stopping us from getting together with others who share the same interests in an aspect of Japanese culture at Fanime. Not everyone is there stricly for anime (and not everyone there even likes anime, myself included). Plus, there were a ton of OTT sweet lolitas because of the Fantasies event going on at the Fairmont (lots of other styles as well, but since Angelic Pretty was one of the big draws to Fantasies, a lot of girls chose to wear their style). I did see a lot of... not quite up to par lolitas, should I say, but probably not any more or less of those than last year, either.

Also, you complain about not enough "actual anime cosplayers" but one of the two cosplays you liked all con were from Teen Titans? I don't understand your logic here at all. (Besides that what is considered good cosplay is all a matter of opinion, there were tons of great cosplays out there, blahblahblah)

Now, if you had some concerns that could be addressed (like the B&W Ball music thing), that would probably be more helpful, but otherwise, I think that you are either being too harsh or didn't make the most of your experience, since Fanime is a genreally well-run con and is really what you make of it. If you didn't like the types or qualities of cosplays or amount of people, then maybe go to another con or stop going to cons? You really can't help what the attendees are going to wear or anything like that.

HarpB

yeah. What she said. I completely disagree with most of the points made. It sounds more like you guys may not have made the best of your time there.
It was all so awesome for me.

Kyra_Maverick

This years Fanime wasn't quite as enjoyable to me either, but not to any fault of Fanime itself.

One of my friends was sick the whole weekend, so I was worried about her not getting to enjoy herself.
I sold at the swapmeet on Friday, so I lost alot of exploration time there.
No video game dealer in the Dealers Hall.
Missed Fanboy Bebop again because Anime Hell/Midnight Madness was way too crowded (no free seats).

I felt like there were more Lolita this year, and some of them did seem thrown together last minute. Others were done really well and I enjoyed seeing them. Not too many over the top cosplayers, but still many that were enjoyable and well made.

Pengin-san

It's not Fanime's fault that people cosplayed the way they did :/.  There were probably many lolitas because of that event in the Fairmont.  B&W Ball isn't energetic for a reason.  Energetic music is for the rave.  You definitely have the right to your opinion, but I don't see the point of this thread.  None of these are things the Fanime staff can necessarily change.

EDIT: My bad, read the post wrong :3.
I'm hosting a panel this year!  Come check out Visual Kei: More Than Music!  It will be filled with fun, glamor, and sheer awesome music!

Nina Star 9

Let me clairfy a bit --

If the con could be improved in some way other than your perception of it (such as: better guests, more panels, staff enforcing rules on obnoxious people, etc.), then that would be fine. I'm all for legitimate and honest critiques of the con and suggestions to improve it, aince I'm sure that we all want a better Fanime next year. However, most of your complaints are things that can't be helped or are based in your perception of the con (what people are wearing, etc.). I don't expect anyone to have fun at a con that is horribly disorganized, has few events, etc. if the con could be run better or could otherwise be changed to improve it just because they are willing to have fun at the con, but if you didn't like a con because of the amount of people and what they wore, that's not really something that can be helped easily and is instead based in what you personally did at the con and how you went about experiencing it. I'm thinking that maybe Fanime isn't the con for you because you have a bigger problem with the people who go there than the con itself (and it's not something like people running around glomping people and destroying property or anything that could be stopped with better staffing) or that maybe cons in general aren't for you because there really isn't anything on your list of complaints that can be fixed except for how you perceive and experience the con. If you enjoy going to cons and there wasn't anything outside of what kinds of cosplays or fashions people wore that was a problem with the con, then you probably would have had fun anyway, despite what you consider to be the poor-quality costumes.

I don't even like anime and I -still- enjoy Fanime quite a bit. As a cosplayer myself, I always find it amazing what people can do, and for the ones in less-than-stellar costumes, I still want them to feel encouraged to keep improving, since everyone has to start somewhere (and who knows, they may end up being that person next year with the totally amazing costume that blows everyone away).

As long as you have fun, that's what matters, but keep in mind that you have to be willing to have fun because you can have fun~

bebop

First of all I wasn't blaming the people or the staff, I was just clearly saying that this year was a bit disappointing because [insert reason here].

I wasn't suggesting that Fanime had to change, improve, or change any kind of law.
I wasn't protesting or criticizing.

you get my point right?
Awakening to otaku inside. ^-^

Mango Bunny

I think that people can wear whatever the heck they want, but sorry it didn't please you. If someone dresses as a lolita, that's great. Even if they aren't GREAT at lolita... What they are wearing makes them feel good/pretty, so you need to lay off. I think one of the greatest parts of fanime is that people can be who they want to be. Sorry it brought down your fanime experience.... And I thought I saw a ton of great cosplayers!

Nephilim

Oh wow, I was actually thinking that it keeps getting better each year.
I went to more panels than any previous year, and there always seemed to be something good that I hadn't seen before playing in a video room between the ones I wanted to attend (thank you, Nostalgia Room!). I fell in love with the Artist Alley this year as well. My only "complaints" were that some dealer booths I was looking for weren't here this year, and that I missed out on Evangelion 2.22 on Monday cause I was dead tired and they changed it from 8am to 10am.

I was talking to one of my in-staff friends in the Arcade room during the wee hours on either Saturday or Sunday (sleepless nights sort of blur together) and he was even more enthusiastic about it than me.

Dunno what to say about the 'aura of blandess' mentioned, but I'm of the opinion that if you managed to get bored during Fanime, chances are it's because you're a boring person.

"Frah muja lycd sa uid, ed fyc lniamdo fru duug bedo uh sa..."

Kertus

Ha this thread is becoming lulz from people not understand how it is just his personal feeling and he's not trying to criticize the con at all.

I think he was just voicing what he felt and making conversation lol.

but yeah continue the lulzy butthurt ::)
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

Kupo

I think it's because they've banned the "hug lines" and the "dance lines" this year. The hallway that is between the Game Room and the Hilton seemed empty to me. Don't get me wrong, I understand the perspective of why people complained about it the previous years, but it seems like a "anime convention" tradition that shouldn't be taken away. Maybe have a section of the center dedicated for the hug-liners that can be overlooked by Rovers for safety? I don't know, I don't want to start an argument, cause I'm sure there's a solution out there that can satisfy both sides, just don't try to figure it out in this thread.

Anyway, to give a positive look, the fun you have is what you make of it. Don't try to expect Fanime to be perfect every year because there's going to be times where it's the best Fanime, and there's going to be times where it might not. Even though I share the same thought that "It felt odd, compared to last year.", I've had fun. It was my second year attending, first year cosplaying. There was stuff from last year that I've improved on this year. Ironically, I've participated in less events this year. I didn't go to Masquerade, Concerts, etc. I'm planning to go to them next year. Fortunately, I've got to shop more, watch Anime Hell, and see Stage Zero once again (Loved watching the SFIV voice of Ken kicking people's butts). But the majority of the time I was spending it with my friends since it's one of the last times we're going to see each other since we're graduating. I had fun and at the same time I've had a good amount of time spent at Fanime.

Just like last year, I've had withdrawal systems where I got depressed and didn't want to leave. I've got over it, but that's a sign that Fanime was good.

konataFTW

ugh forreal tho... like the con is filled with the 'freakers' while OUTSIDE of the con is filled with the actual cosplayers.

not tryna offend anyone or anything but yeah. Alot looked amazing, some looked WOAH, and some look really out there.

plus the halls were a bit crowded and people really stop in the middle and make traffic to take pics... omg really tho? really?

/pet peeve
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

Jerry

I think I failed because my cosplay sucked.

that and it really is about who you hang out with and how you make the most of any given situation.

otherwise "your just doing it wrong" besides, there always next year.

some years are just honestly better or worse than others--- to each is own. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Kertus on June 01, 2010, 07:48:29 PM
Ha this thread is becoming lulz from people not understand how it is just his personal feeling and he's not trying to criticize the con at all.

I think he was just voicing what he felt and making conversation lol.

but yeah continue the lulzy butthurt ::)
I'm not butthurt or anything, I think that I just don't understand his point. :/

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: chococlatte on June 01, 2010, 03:25:26 PM
I'm going to have to agree with you on the lolitas and cosplayers.  There was an event at the fairmont for the lolitas though, so that would explain all of them.  

I honestly think it's just about the people you go with.  

Yes yes.. so so MANY lolitas.. some were.. unfortunately (no offense to those who dressed as lolitas) not very detailed to even be called a "Lolita."
I agree: It does depend on the people you go with, & how many times you've possibly been at Fanime.

Nevertheless.. I had fun. =3=