This year's convention seemed kinda... meh

Started by bebop, June 01, 2010, 03:06:41 PM

AntiVonn

Quote from: Jerry on June 01, 2010, 10:06:53 PM
I think I failed because my cosplay sucked.

You funny.  You had the most excellent cosplay this year!

r3za1264

Quote from: Kupo on June 01, 2010, 09:17:23 PM
I think it's because they've banned the "hug lines" and the "dance lines" this year. The hallway that is between the Game Room and the Hilton seemed empty to me. Don't get me wrong, I understand the perspective of why people complained about it the previous years, but it seems like a "anime convention" tradition that shouldn't be taken away. Maybe have a section of the center dedicated for the hug-liners that can be overlooked by Rovers for safety? I don't know, I don't want to start an argument, cause I'm sure there's a solution out there that can satisfy both sides, just don't try to figure it out in this thread.

Anyway, to give a positive look, the fun you have is what you make of it. Don't try to expect Fanime to be perfect every year because there's going to be times where it's the best Fanime, and there's going to be times where it might not. Even though I share the same thought that "It felt odd, compared to last year.", I've had fun. It was my second year attending, first year cosplaying. There was stuff from last year that I've improved on this year. Ironically, I've participated in less events this year. I didn't go to Masquerade, Concerts, etc. I'm planning to go to them next year. Fortunately, I've got to shop more, watch Anime Hell, and see Stage Zero once again (Loved watching the SFIV voice of Ken kicking people's butts). But the majority of the time I was spending it with my friends since it's one of the last times we're going to see each other since we're graduating. I had fun and at the same time I've had a good amount of time spent at Fanime.

Just like last year, I've had withdrawal systems where I got depressed and didn't want to leave. I've got over it, but that's a sign that Fanime was good.

YESSSS!!!!!!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I THINK!)&$*)@&$*@_#_R why would you destroy the hug line D: i just noticed how much of an impact it does to fanime. I think it opens people up, like last year i was all quiet but i went through the hug line and got me pumped up! it got people to dance and do the things that they do at fanime! sorry its just an opinion. sorry if i offend anyone. I started one this year but got messed up by rovers...

TC X0 Lt 0X

I agree. I had a few bad moments this year but past those it just fell a little empty compared to last year. Still I can't say it was not fun.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on June 01, 2010, 04:51:47 PM
Lolita isn't cosplay, you guys. @____@

Kind of nick-picking there aren't you? It's basically treated as Cosplay by most. It may not be actual costumes but most people don't where Lolita all day long, they where it for special events to get attention. Or so my observations and personal opinion tell me.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

chococlatte

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on June 01, 2010, 10:15:43 PM
Quote from: chococlatte on June 01, 2010, 03:25:26 PM
I'm going to have to agree with you on the lolitas and cosplayers.  There was an event at the fairmont for the lolitas though, so that would explain all of them.  

I honestly think it's just about the people you go with.  

Yes yes.. so so MANY lolitas.. some were.. unfortunately (no offense to those who dressed as lolitas) not very detailed to even be called a "Lolita."
I agree: It does depend on the people you go with, & how many times you've possibly been at Fanime.

Nevertheless.. I had fun. =3=

Oh gosh, don't even get me started on some of the girls' coordination of outfits.  /snaps fingers

TC X0 Lt 0X

that and it really is about who you hang out with and how you make the most of any given situation.

otherwise "your just doing it wrong" besides, there always next year.

some years are just honestly better or worse than others--- to each is own. :P

No way Jerry your Cosplay was one of the best and stuck out a lot. I saw you so much this year it was not even funny =P

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

jacktchance

Quote from: AntiVonn on June 01, 2010, 10:16:38 PM

You funny.  You had the most excellent cosplay this year!

Seconded.  Jerry, you crazy.

iomoon

Perhaps it's because of the lack of excitement that I was able to relax this year.

What's up with the lolita hate? It was hot, and therefore a lot of lolitas didn't wear over-the-top coordinates. The point for some is to be comfortable walking around for 8 hours a day. Hey, just enjoy watching the others.  :P

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 01, 2010, 10:29:35 PM
I agree. I had a few bad moments this year but past those it just fell a little empty compared to last year. Still I can't say it was not fun.

Kind of nick-picking there aren't you? It's basically treated as Cosplay by most. It may not be actual costumes but most people don't where Lolita all day long, they where it for special events to get attention. Or so my observations and personal opinion tell me.

Uh... you've never seen us in San Francisco, have you? Lolita is worn on a regular basis.

Nina Star 9

Lolita may be treated like a cosplay, but it isn't. I don't feel like I'm nitpicking by informing people that the fashion I wear on a daily basis isn't a costume, but that could just be me. :/

Though, a lot of people do treat it like a cosplay when they wear it, and those are usually the ones who don't have the best quality outfits or coordinations, but I still hope to encourage them to improve~ Most of us probably started out getting it "wrong."

Quote from: iomoon on June 01, 2010, 10:43:53 PM
What's up with the lolita hate? It was hot, and therefore a lot of lolitas didn't wear over-the-top coordinates. The point for some is to be comfortable walking around for 8 hours a day. Hey, just enjoy watching the others.  :P

So true~ The girls wearing Tea Parties and without wigs were probably in the best shape by the end of a day, but I know that I was in heels most of the time and in wigs the rest of the time (I wore a wig Saturday night because I didn't feel like doing my hair, haha) while I was in lolita, which I wore to take a break from uncomfortable cosplays. My feet still hurt from wearing 4" heels all night at the Ball!

Thinking about this thread, I guess I can understand where the OP is coming from, but it shouldn't be phrased in a way where (s)he seems to expect something to be fixed when really there is nothing to fix. It's perfectly understandable to not have fun or as much fun at a con for whatever personal reasons, but if that's the case... then why does this thread sound more like complaining about how the con needs to be better instead of complaining about whatever personal reasons it wasn't as enjoyable this year? I think that I was just getting the wrong vibe from the thread, since it is hard to convey meaning over the internet with no intonations or anything.

Though, my point still stands that if you didn't have fun, then it's a personal problem more than a con problem, but I guess that's the point of the thread? I'm still not sure if I fully get the OP's point in posting this.

monotone

Quote from: r3za1264 on June 01, 2010, 10:26:57 PM
I think it's because they've banned the "hug lines" and the "dance lines" this year. The hallway that is between the Game Room and the Hilton seemed empty to me. Don't get me wrong, I understand the perspective of why people complained about it the previous years, but it seems like a "anime convention" tradition that shouldn't be taken away. Maybe have a section of the center dedicated for the hug-liners that can be overlooked by Rovers for safety? I don't know, I don't want to start an argument, cause I'm sure there's a solution out there that can satisfy both sides, just don't try to figure it out in this thread.

YESSSS!!!!!!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I THINK!)&$*)@&$*@_#_R why would you destroy the hug line D: i just noticed how much of an impact it does to fanime. I think it opens people up, like last year i was all quiet but i went through the hug line and got me pumped up! it got people to dance and do the things that they do at fanime! sorry its just an opinion. sorry if i offend anyone. I started one this year but got messed up by rovers...

As far as I know, "Hug lines" and spontaneous dance parties were not banned this year, as long as they did not block the general flow of traffic. This year we had the spontaneous sing along/jam session, as well as the cuddle fest and Spin the Bottle in the gaming room, and we didn't really care about them, though Spin the Bottle did get eventually shut down because not all the participants were over 18.

"Hug Me" signs have always been forbidden -- California has pretty strict laws about solicitous signs, and we have no choice but to enforce those. It's the same with weapons.

You also have to keep in mind that Rovers aren't the ones who decide what is allowed or not. Any time there is a question about something being allowed, Rovers report to Con Ops, who then report to... someone else. Not sure where it goes from there. And then Rovers just enforce whatever decisions are made, whether we agree with them or not.
Fanime Rovers
Callsign: Zombie

r3za1264

Quote from: monotone on June 01, 2010, 10:56:53 PM
Quote from: r3za1264 on June 01, 2010, 10:26:57 PM

As far as I know, "Hug lines" and spontaneous dance parties were not banned this year, as long as they did not block the general flow of traffic. This year we had the spontaneous sing along/jam session, as well as the cuddle fest and Spin the Bottle in the gaming room, and we didn't really care about them, though Spin the Bottle did get eventually shut down because not all the participants were over 18.

"Hug Me" signs have always been forbidden -- California has pretty strict laws about solicitous signs, and we have no choice but to enforce those. It's the same with weapons.

You also have to keep in mind that Rovers aren't the ones who decide what is allowed or not. Any time there is a question about something being allowed, Rovers report to Con Ops, who then report to... someone else. Not sure where it goes from there. And then Rovers just enforce whatever decisions are made, whether we agree with them or not.

Nah dude, i started one for like 15 minutes. without signs. they said they had to bring it down. if it wasnt banned there would be more of them.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: iomoon on June 01, 2010, 10:43:53 PM
Perhaps it's because of the lack of excitement that I was able to relax this year.

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 01, 2010, 10:29:35 PM

Uh... you've never seen us in San Francisco, have you? Lolita is worn on a regular basis.

I see. Still I can't say I don't see it as just a way for people to attract attention. But whatever, in the end it does not matter =P

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mister_E

I saw a lot of heart put into the cosplays this year.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Okach

Quote from: bebop on June 01, 2010, 03:06:41 PM
- The Black & White Ball's music this year was sorta crappy, and not even loud enough for an energetic dance.

This was the first year for B&W Ball in the new ballroom, so we got caught a little off guard with the acoustics.  Unfortunately, it seemed that from song to song we were getting significant variation in volume.  Some songs were too soft and some were too loud.  We did tempo shift some of the songs in the playlist such that it would be easier to dance to for people who attended the dance classes.  Sorry if the end result disappointed you.  As for energetic dancing, we were having a blast near the DJ booth.  I think I ended up leading two followers, being part of a three leader swap and doing partner swaps every chorus in one of the songs.  Lotsa fun.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

mdarkpoet

This fanime was my first con so maybe that makes me biased but I enjoyed all the costumes, lolitas, cheap, or otherwise. I'm someone who never has a lot of money so I worked with what I had for my outfits, I don't think that cheap costumes can make a con good or bad.

I was disappointed by the Rovers as well as the behavior of the judges at the Gong Show, as well as some of the haters among the con. I feel that a convention atmosphere should be friendlier, not about hating on whatever everyone else decides to do.

With that being said I had an amazing time, met some amazing people, and look forward to Fanime 2011

TC X0 Lt 0X

Another thing I noticed this year was a lack of Naruto and Bleach Cosplay.
... No I am quite happy with that. F them Narutards and Bleachfags =P

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Green_Tea

Wow.. I'm kind of surprised at the lolita comments. I have to admit that I'm guilty of being one of those "not so good lolitas" despite never claiming to be.

I made a couple of skirts and a dress there were inspired by the lolita fashion and they were the first things I've ever sewn from a pattern so they weren't that great.. but I wore them anyways because I thought they were fun and I put a lot of work into them.

I even went to the Lolita picnic to try and learn more about the fashion so that as I learn I can do things correctly.

Besides, I'd rather see people trying and wearing different things at the con even if it isn't right. I think that is one of the good things about going to Fanime!
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

mdarkpoet

Oh yeah I saw the Lolita picnic when my boyfriend and I went outside where it was being held to look and to finish our foodz. It was cute  :D

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 01, 2010, 11:28:53 PM
Another thing I noticed this year was a lack of Naruto and Bleach Cosplay.
... No I am quite happy with that. F them Narutards and Bleachfags =P

Same here. It was toned down so much that I was very happy with me. IMO, I saw more variety this year Cosplay wise and that's a good thing. I had fun at Fanime, mostly cause i was doing photos and hanging out with friends. That's what made my fanime. Specially doing a photoshoot at San Jose City Hall till 1:30 a.m lol
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Green_Tea on June 02, 2010, 11:28:59 AM
Wow.. I'm kind of surprised at the lolita comments. I have to admit that I'm guilty of being one of those "not so good lolitas" despite never claiming to be.

I made a couple of skirts and a dress there were inspired by the lolita fashion and they were the first things I've ever sewn from a pattern so they weren't that great.. but I wore them anyways because I thought they were fun and I put a lot of work into them.

I even went to the Lolita picnic to try and learn more about the fashion so that as I learn I can do things correctly.

Besides, I'd rather see people trying and wearing different things at the con even if it isn't right. I think that is one of the good things about going to Fanime!
Don't worry about it~ I don't remember who you were at the picnic (I was the girl in the black dress with the cityscape on it), but I'm sure that you were fine. Besides, it's all about having fun, right? You seem to be willing to improve, so that's a good thing. :D (I'd say that most lolis started out not quite getting it, but with some work and some practice, it comes pretty naturally, so keep at it and maybe next year your outfit will wow everyone!)

NerdyBirdAsh

Quote from: bebop on June 01, 2010, 03:06:41 PM

- Too much Gothic Lolita cosplayers instead of actual anime cosplayers

Lolita =/= Cosplay. The only time it is cosplay is if the character you play is lolita. D:

[Edit] Wow, I'm not late to the party or anything am I? /sarcasm

Quote- The Black & White Ball's music this year was sorta crappy, and not even loud enough for an energetic dance.

I didn't go personally, as I didn't have a date...but I didn't get the impression that it was supposed to be energetic.
It conjures images of grandeur and sophistication not lots of energy. I thought that's what the rave was for. but I could be wrong. :P

I personally had a ton more fun this year than years past. My first year was amazing, and ever since then if didn't feel the same but this year I had a sort of epiphany and realized how much I love this con. 7 years of attending has given me great times. Even when FanimeCon "Sucks" it doesn't suck...you know?

I actually spent what felt like most of the time in my hotel room (injury inflicted on Friday), and yet I still feel like I had the best time ever!
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019