Maid Cafe 2010 feedback and experiences thread

Started by PyronIkari, June 01, 2010, 08:40:58 PM

PyronIkari

Hey guys, the con is over and I'm exhausted. The cafe had a lot of ups and downs but I'm extremely happy with the turn out even if everything didn't go perfect.

First I'd like to apologize for 2 of the bumps. First the one about maids not being able to handle food on Sunday. I'm sorry for this, but I will not discuss this nor why it happened. Please don't inquire about this.

The second was about wait times and some people being "ignored". I'm incredibly sorry. I don't blame my maids at all, as it's hard for them to manage all of this. We tried our best, and with all the things that was going on, I hope you can understand. I don't think anyone was ignored, as I didn't hear anyone complain about it, but there was one instance, and this is completely my fault. There was an emergency and one of the maids had to leave, and I forgot to get someone to take over for her group. If you were this group, I am especially sorry for it.

But I would love to hear your experiences, comments, both good and bad.

Eri Kagami

First of all, thank you for changing my mind about the maid cafe. Last year, I ran into rude (off duty) maids when I wanted to ask them a simple question about the maid cafe. It left a horrible impression. I wish I could have remembered their names though.

However, I did enjoy my time at the maid cafe. I had a great first time on Saturday, that I had to come back on Sunday.

Favorite Parts
+ Friendly staff.
+ Interactive games...really nostalgic.
+ Relaxed atmosphere. Nice break from the con crowds.
+ Loved getting photos with the maids at the end.
+ Many thanks to Momoichi (sic?) for clarifying the difference between a maid cafe and a host / butler cafe. I was confused about the debate, but in person clarification is always a good thing.
+ Really felt like I was at home.
+ Thanks for the drawing!

Suggestions
+ Can we have hot tea next year? I don't drink soda and I'm trying to cut down on my caffeine intake. Tea just seems to be appropriate for a cafe style setting.
+ Music. Can we have a consistent tone of music? It feels weird hearing the Winnie the Pooh theme and then transition to a genki-ish Akihabara-ish j-pop song. I like a mellow theme.

PyronIkari

Quote from: White Rose Assassin on June 01, 2010, 09:33:44 PMStuffs

mmm... with the music, my playlist was basically all of Momoi's songs, and a handful of other akiba-kei stuff.

If you sat in the back area, the PA system could not be turned off in cafe area, so you may have heard what was being played on the PA over the music that was playing in the cafe.

As for the suggestion with tea. Although we get a small selection on what is served, we don't get to choose everything. This is up to the caterers. However we may bring this up to staff in the future and we might be able to get them to include this. Thanks for the suggestions.

DJcream

I went on Sunday (just before closing) and I enjoyed the experience. Shoutouts to Mei-chan and Kazuki-chan for the pleasant conversations.

Being a party of one, I was really intimidated to enter by myself especially with big, round, party-sized tables being visible from a far. Next time, could there be more smaller-sized tables to accommodate smaller parties?

PyronIkari

Quote from: DJcream on June 02, 2010, 12:01:51 AM
I went on Sunday (just before closing) and I enjoyed the experience. Shoutouts to Mei-chan and Kazuki-chan for the pleasant conversations.

Being a party of one, I was really intimidated to enter by myself especially with big, round, party-sized tables being visible from a far. Next time, could there be more smaller-sized tables to accommodate smaller parties?

I was actually considering this after this year. But thanks for bringing it up as well.

chococlatte

Thank you so much for everything!  I really had a great time.  I liked the fact that you and Jun were able to host our huge group.   All the maids were incredibly polite, even when two members of our group sneaked in through the exit.  Both the mango and chocolate mousse cakes tasted wonderful.  

But it would have been nice to have another set of rock em sock em robots.  I had to leave early, and by the time I got to play with it, I had to go.  D;  I'm not sure who it was, but one of the maids who saved it for me was really considerate about my leaving and left the game for everyone else in my group.  

PyronIkari

Quote from: chococlatte on June 02, 2010, 04:13:45 PM
Thank you so much for everything!  I really had a great time.  I liked the fact that you and Jun were able to host our huge group.   All the maids were incredibly polite, even when two members of our group sneaked in through the exit.  Both the mango and chocolate mousse cakes tasted wonderful.  

But it would have been nice to have another set of rock em sock em robots.  I had to leave early, and by the time I got to play with it, I had to go.  D;  I'm not sure who it was, but one of the maids who saved it for me was really considerate about my leaving and left the game for everyone else in my group.  

We'll have more games next year. This was like a trial of what was popular.

Answer: Everything....

Magical Senpai

I went both days and had nothing but a wonderful time. I had lots of fun talking to the maids, and although you all were busy, you guys took time to ensure each customer is happy. My fiance and I also thank all of you for the love and support you've given us. Ever since you and Jun took charge of the Maid Cafe in 2009, I have had nothing but a wonderful experience both last and this year!

fue-kun

I went Sunday and had an incredible experience. The staff was very accommodating considering that we had a party size of 7 people and we were seated fairly quickly as well. Our maid was very considerate of our needs, provided engaging conversation and mingled well with our group considering the amount of time we spent in the cafe. I think that playing games with the maids turned out to be an excellent way of having fun at the cafe since sometimes conversations can only go so far with complete strangers (nothing's worse than having awkward silence at the table after all). The food was expensive but what the hoo-ha, you paying for a maid too. I was also kinda disappointed that some of menu items had run out, but I doubt that that was the fault of the people running the cafe. I think the only other issue I had is that after my party was done we were waiting just outside the cafe area to wait for some friends who had only just arrived at the cafe. We were pretty much just talking amongst ourselves and minding our own business until a staff member asked if we could leave, since the maids feel uncomfortable with people staring at them. I was mildly offended but it was an innocent misunderstanding. Rather, I was more impressed with how the staff takes care of their maids and try to ensure that they work in an environment where they can feel secure.Oh and lastly, I managed to watch the performance on stage zero on Sunday and thought the maids did a pretty darn good job there as well. Props to the maids and everyone else involved with maid cafe. I look forward to going again next year!

Sen

Quote from: fue-kun on June 03, 2010, 01:23:38 AM
The food was expensive but what the hoo-ha, you paying for a maid too.

Actually, FanimeCon staff aren't paid. Correct me if I'm wrong but the food catering is just downright expensive.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Tony

Yep - the maids aren't paid, and can't even accept tips. It's just convention-center prices.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

PyronIkari

The food wasn't that expensive comparatively. A sandwich was roughly 5$. Cake was expensive for its size, but considering, that it's at the con-center it wasn't that bad. I.E. the prices for a sandwich, size, and taste, is easily comparatively to a starbucks's sandwich. Actually no, the maid cafe sandwich is a lot better.

I ate the food at the cafe, and it was actually pretty tasty.

Some notes about the chef that made the food. He was super awesome. He actually came to the cafe multiple times to pull the food out and throw it away because they had been there for 1.5 hours. "This food is old and shouldn't be served, I'm making more food, DO NOT SELL THIS TO CUSTOMERS".

So although it is kinda pricey comparatively, for a concenter, I think it was very worth it. If you wanted to walk some where else, that's cool too, it's understandable that some people don't want to spend 5$ for a sandwich.

LordKefka

Umm, considering Pizza My Heart charges $4 for a crappy little slice of pizza, I'd say $5 for a sandvich at the convention especially being in the maid cafe is more than fair.

And feedback, yeah said it once and I'll say it again: great job.

You guys really worked hard. I don't think people understand how hard these 4 days were and I don't think some realize it wasn't just a cafe but all the performances outside the cafe that you and the rest of the maids had to take part in.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

fue-kun

Quote from: Sen on June 03, 2010, 03:19:25 PM
Quote from: fue-kun on June 03, 2010, 01:23:38 AM
The food was expensive but what the hoo-ha, you paying for a maid too.

Actually, FanimeCon staff aren't paid. Correct me if I'm wrong but the food catering is just downright expensive.

Yeah, I more or less assumed that neither the staff or maids were actually profiting and that the prices weren't determined by the fanime staff. What I was trying to say is that the fact that I was attended to by a maid makes up for the fact that the food was more expensive than other places I could have gone. But I think we all agree that Maid Cafe was an awesome experience and that's what counts

Sen

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 03, 2010, 08:04:26 PM
The food wasn't that expensive comparatively. A sandwich was roughly 5$. Cake was expensive for its size, but considering, that it's at the con-center it wasn't that bad. I.E. the prices for a sandwich, size, and taste, is easily comparatively to a starbucks's sandwich. Actually no, the maid cafe sandwich is a lot better.

I ate the food at the cafe, and it was actually pretty tasty.

Some notes about the chef that made the food. He was super awesome. He actually came to the cafe multiple times to pull the food out and throw it away because they had been there for 1.5 hours. "This food is old and shouldn't be served, I'm making more food, DO NOT SELL THIS TO CUSTOMERS".

So although it is kinda pricey comparatively, for a concenter, I think it was very worth it. If you wanted to walk some where else, that's cool too, it's understandable that some people don't want to spend 5$ for a sandwich.

Hmm maybe that's why there was always food that's gone from the menu.

Don't get me wrong, I'd spend $5 or more on a sandwich. I think I'd just want a bit more quality and/or quantity but in the end it's what works for you.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Rin_chan

This was my first time at a maid cafe and I thought it was great. My group went in to support our friend who was working in the cafe for the first time. The food was really good (a bit pricey for me, but worth it considering your in a maid cafe and its all catered), the games were fun, and it was great to take a picture at the end of it all. I know with running the cafe and preparing for the live shows it was a lot of work, but I thought it was pulled off really well.

The performances were also really amazing, especially the group dances, but the solo songs were fun to watch as well. I can't wait to watch it all again this year and go back to the cafe. You guys all do a really good job.

Kuudere

Last year was my first time at the cafe, also. I really didn't know what to expect, but it was actually pretty fun. I ordered one of the little cakes with fruit, which was adorable. I wish I'd have taken a picture of it or something. Our maid was Momochi (hope I'm getting it right, it was a while ago). She was definitely attentive and sweet and kept us entertained for our stay. The only negative thing was that once we got to the front of the line, we waited 10 or so minutes to get seating, and I was trying to quietly explain to someone that we already had friends sitting at a table that had spare chairs and that we wouldn't mind eating with them before they leave. Once I finally got someone's attention, they took us directly to the table. I don't really fault the staff at all in that, though, because it seemed that everyone was doing 10 things at once in the register area.

Overall, it was a great experience and I'll be back again this year to enjoy it. I think it's something that really complements the whole convention and it's run smoothly despite being a very popular attraction. Thanks for all the hard work of the volunteers.

What I'd really like to see brought back is the FaniMaid website! I liked reading the little bios of the maids that were going to be there. I hope you guys have time to put something like it together again.