AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PatrickD

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on January 27, 2011, 08:45:17 PM
Well it's interesting that AnimeCons.com won't rank FanimeCon 2010 in their most recent podcast because they "never got a press release" and they didn't find the information on the website. Then again it was filmed before the new website went up, so I'll bet that someone told them so that they can correct that list.
Yeah, the January episode was filmed the Monday before Christmas.

The 2010 attendance number is posted on our site now:
http://animecons.com/events/info.shtml/2059

ewu

note that the number says "(estimated)" because they don't have the numbers. I don't even have the numbers because its NOT DEFINED.

I could say we had 30,000 people walk through our doors, but that's cuz there were three people that could not decide where the best place was for their cosplay photo and walked in and out 10,000 times....

or I could say there were 56 because the attendance numbers are defined as a very special and particular category of member from a special class...

Numbers are inaccurate and do not represent the con and even more so do not represent the con in relationship to other cons. Other cons may choose to inflate their numbers or be loyal to what THEIR conception of their attendance. But two cons will almost never come to their conclusion of their numbers in the same way....

ugh, leave it be...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

M

Quote from: ewu on February 03, 2011, 12:04:47 PMNumbers are inaccurate and do not represent the con and even more so do not represent the con in relationship to other cons. Other cons may choose to inflate their numbers or be loyal to what THEIR conception of their attendance. But two cons will almost never come to their conclusion of their numbers in the same way....
Personally, this is how I feel. Even when I was helping out other events, it would bug me when I found out how they were counting numbers.

There was a LAN party, where the organizers counted whenever a person used a station as a "player". So they had stations set up for people to check e-mail and what not and a single PC station counted as close to 100 "players". This was never publicly disclosed and I really felt that it was unfair to other events.

On that same note though, I also dislike when people try to size up events. It tends to do more bad. I'm just happy that the state of conventions is not dead and that they keep happening. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

LordKefka

Numbers don't appeal to me and I fail to see why it should matter ( I mean... unless a con is getting like 3 people or something -_-) . I rather see quality over quantity in the people. Like for example ***** /b/**** (fill in the blank game yay =P ) proudly announced their attendance number last year at the closing ceremony like it meant the world to them. To me, seeing 70% of the people dressed up as Pokemon/tree/TF2/random...random cosplayers and screaming 4chan memes left, right, up down and all over the walls didn't cut it for me.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Himeno

There are two types of raw numbers. Attendees and Attendance.
Attendees are the amount of individual people at the event across the course of the weekend. (eg, you get a weekend badge and you count once)
Attendance is the amount of people who show up – per day. If you go 4 days, you get counted 4 times.

Each number is valid and useful for different things. However, there are many ways to generate those numbers. Some more accurate then others. How an event chooses to generate those numbers is up to that event. Some simply lie. Others guess. Some will take the amount of badges sold. Others will count the amount of badges actually given out.

Getting a useful and accurate number of attendees isn't as straightforward as many people might think.

M

Quote from: Himeno on February 19, 2011, 12:39:56 AM
There are two types of raw numbers. Attendees and Attendance.
Attendees are the amount of individual people at the event across the course of the weekend. (eg, you get a weekend badge and you count once)
Attendance is the amount of people who show up – per day. If you go 4 days, you get counted 4 times.

Each number is valid and useful for different things. However, there are many ways to generate those numbers. Some more accurate then others. How an event chooses to generate those numbers is up to that event. Some simply lie. Others guess. Some will take the amount of badges sold. Others will count the amount of badges actually given out.

Getting a useful and accurate number of attendees isn't as straightforward as many people might think.
So the differences that you have listed as "attendees" and "attendance" have been used many times with other titles. Some events are more open about it ("we count x and y and then multiply it by z sometimes!") while some events are more secretive of this ("this is the number of people that are here!" -- no explanation on what "here" refers to).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!