Explain it to me

Started by otakuya, June 05, 2010, 12:19:23 PM

otakuya

I would like the know the origin, history, effects, and usages of several of the running gags and trends found at Fanime and internet. I'm curious and oblivious.

-Pedo-bear

-"The Game" a.k.a. "You just lost the game"

-Carmeldansan (sp?)

-others when I think of them

Knightfire

All of them are memes from 4chan.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

PyronIkari

Quote from: Knightfire on June 05, 2010, 12:41:06 PM

... No

Pedo-bear is a 2ch meme that came to 4chan and they changed the name of. KUUMA was an ascii art character of similar design.

THE GAME is a book that people turned into a meme via 4chan and Something Awful

Carmel Dansen is a song that was popularized on niconicodouga in a parody of Popotan(the original video from the meme) of Mai and Mii doing the dance.

Knightfire

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2010, 01:46:40 PM

... No

Pedo-bear is a 2ch meme that came to 4chan and they changed the name of. KUUMA was an ascii art character of similar design.

Carmel Dansen is a song that was popularized on niconicodouga in a parody of Popotan(the original video from the meme) of Mai and Mii doing the dance.

...so yes, to a loose extent then(except for  carmel dansen)

Jerry

what about the one where they just chant

" Chair! " at the Masquerade back in the day.

that was my personal fav. :p
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Damn Memes kill me inside a little every time...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mizuki

Actually, Caramelldansen was a 4chan thing at first, it only took nico nico 5+ years to find it. The flash was pretty much created when Popotan was made.

And random note: "The Game" has been rumored to have been played in Europe in early 00's from what I've heard, but that's only a rumor.

Runewitt

IIRC: the game

was played by a group of friends in a pub in england, where they couldnt think about a certain place, eventually they decided that they couldn't think about the game where they couldn't about the place, and they had to announce whenever they thought about it.

i remember reading it somewhere a while ago, but dont remember all the detail.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Knightfire on June 05, 2010, 02:55:48 PM

... No

Just because people on 4chan use the meme, does not make it from 4chan, so no... it's not.

And to correct Mizuki, I said popularized on nico, because that's when it became big. Originally it was a flash video on 2ch's flash board some time around 2000. It came out around the same time as Natsume Step did.

Mizuki

Oh, popularized on Nico, yes. From 2ch it's probable, I just know it's no way originated from Nico.

Knightfire

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 06, 2010, 01:02:54 PM
Quote from: Knightfire on June 05, 2010, 02:55:48 PM

... No

Just because people on 4chan use the meme, does not make it from 4chan, so no... it's not.

And to correct Mizuki, I said popularized on nico, because that's when it became big. Originally it was a flash video on 2ch's flash board some time around 2000. It came out around the same time as Natsume Step did.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Knightfire on June 06, 2010, 06:58:43 PMstuff

Uh... weren't you the one that went out of your way in an attempt to prove that your first statement was right despite it... not being right?

But on this note, I totally want to go watch old 2ch flash vids now.

Knightfire

I just found it funny that you said 4chan wasn't the source even though you cited it in your statement... twice. Seems contradictory. But if you seem so sure, I'll just let you have this one.

: )

Loktera^2

http://knowyourmeme.com/

I'm inclined to state, that these people know their shit.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
~Adam Savage

Dagger-6

Explain to me where the nifty little Mass Effect animation in Knightfire's avatar is from.

And while you're at it, where's the Pyron's avatar from? 

PyronIkari

Quote from: trooper715 on June 08, 2010, 10:52:29 PM
Explain to me where the nifty little Mass Effect animation in Knightfire's avatar is from.

And while you're at it, where's the Pyron's avatar from? 

Jun drew this and Sysadmin forced it to be my avatar.

Knightfire

Quote from: trooper715 on June 08, 2010, 10:52:29 PM

I found it on the internet. I am unsure of the actual origins, but the picture was based off the screen capture from Beauty and the Beast where Belle meets with Gaston in the opening sequence (or soon after).

Yuu

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 05, 2010, 10:09:52 PM

*sigh* They do, so many of them should have been dead a buried  loong ago.

My most hated is the " Why so.." I cant bring myself to finish the line.  When people of a line before even SEEING the damned movie, that means its time to end it.
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

G.I.R

Quote from: Yuu on June 10, 2010, 10:47:42 AM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 05, 2010, 10:09:52 PM

*sigh* They do, so many of them should have been dead a buried  loong ago.

My most hated is the " Why so.." I cant bring myself to finish the line.  When people of a line before even SEEING the damned movie, that means its time to end it.
"Why so Serious" is actually viral advertising.  And if people were repeating it before the movie came out, apparently it worked quite well.