Con Sickness

Started by michiko nakano, June 05, 2010, 08:25:55 PM

Sen

Quote from: Liquid on June 07, 2010, 05:51:46 AM
Quote from: michiko nakano on June 05, 2010, 08:25:55 PM
Anyone get it? A couple of my friends and I did, I think it's just from being around all the people at con, then sharing food/drink and squishing together to sleep.

If you did get sick, my sympathies. 

Sore throat Monday night and then full blown sickness from there. Still kind of fighting off the cough and sniffles. Was funny though, because I never came across anyone else who was sick, that I had noticed. >.<

I had the exact same symptoms. I too am still coughing and sniffling. Whatever this is has also been exacerbating my asthma. I think a number of staff got the plague from the Con- even one of the Chairs.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Tony

What?! Reports of any weakness are exaggerated. FanimeCon and its collective leadership are healthy and leading this great organization to prosperity.

We're just coughing and feverish because there's a lot of dust in the air nowadays, and it's summer...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

michiko nakano

perhaps you're allergic to people who break the weapons policy or provoke the protestors.

Aelia

Quote from: michiko nakano on June 09, 2010, 02:40:00 PM
perhaps you're allergic to people who break the weapons policy or provoke the protestors.
That tends to be a more Rover-specific allergy. We've made some treatment breakthroughs on that particular allergy recently.
Director of Operations

otaku_duckie

Quote from: Sen on June 07, 2010, 06:35:30 PM
Quote from: Liquid on June 07, 2010, 05:51:46 AM
Quote from: michiko nakano on June 05, 2010, 08:25:55 PM
Anyone get it? A couple of my friends and I did, I think it's just from being around all the people at con, then sharing food/drink and squishing together to sleep.

If you did get sick, my sympathies. 

Sore throat Monday night and then full blown sickness from there. Still kind of fighting off the cough and sniffles. Was funny though, because I never came across anyone else who was sick, that I had noticed. >.<

I had the exact same symptoms. I too am still coughing and sniffling. Whatever this is has also been exacerbating my asthma. I think a number of staff got the plague from the Con- even one of the Chairs.
I got the exact same symptoms! I had a sore throat on Saturday which I thought I had gotten from screaming so much during the FLOW concert but then Sunday I was completely bed ridden until Wednesday! maybe it had to do something with the food, I didn't see any sick people around. I've never gotten sick at Fanime before and this year was my first time eating food from the convention center.
Visit my deviantart!
http://i-am-miss-duckie.deviantart.com/
someone tell me how to draw feet! >_<

Yuu

Nope, not sick for the con. but I am now for finals. Id rather be sick now. Finals can pulled off while sick, shenanigans cannot.
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Melly

orz i got sick last night...

:/

not really sure if it's con related or not though...

my sinuses are all hating on me xD;

michiko nakano

yeah my symptoms were sinus problems, neck aching, nausea, and a cough/sore throat.  Still have the sinuses and throat stuff, but it's getting better.  It was pretty bad for four days last week tho.

Xepherian

one of my friends came sick to fanime, the other got sick by her.
soooo, it's our bad.

(not really)

Team SilverHawk

I would recommend coming prepared to Fanime if you tend to get sick easily.

I get sick at least once a year, but I still take percautions nonetheless. It's worth it to learn about medicine and physiology sometimes.

Bring the green stuff. As in what I like to call the "antibiotic gel" cuz it looks like the stuff from Trauma Center. Anyways, use that stuff religiously! Also, wash your hands everytime before you eat, after using the bathroom, or in intervals throughout the day. My family and I do this and it helps us get through the cold and flu seasons scot-free. I even go as far as using the antibiotic gel after washing my hands in a public restroom.

Also, this mainly comes from my OCD, but try to not eat with your hands. Try holding food with things like napkins or eat out of the bags if you can't find time to wash your hands. I can't stress enough just how easy it is to come down with something because you ate with dirty hands. Your mouth is the biggest transmission route just about any pathogen can get past.

Also, if you see someone that's sick, try to keep away from them. About 6 feet should do it if you don't want to go overboard with safety. And try to eat healthy and make sure your blood sugar doesn't hit the floor from forgetting to eat. If you feel shaky, weak in the knees and arms, or feel hot flashes, that's a sure sign of low blood sugar.
"Check it out, RONI--It's three sevens!" -Dr. Gabriel Cunningham (Trauma Team)

monikamilani

I got a buncha scrapes, scratches, cuts, and all that stuff but never got sick anytime =DD
Just that weird, surprising, and awkward kid that's always there.
In the corner.
Watching your every move.
Secretly stalking you and watching you sleep. ;)
Fanime/Japan Expo Cosplays 2013~
-Cooking Mama
-Fem. Sasori
...pffft who the hell cares iunno kbye~

michiko nakano

Quote from: Team SilverHawk on July 03, 2010, 03:26:28 PM
I would recommend coming prepared to Fanime if you tend to get sick easily.

I get sick at least once a year, but I still take percautions nonetheless. It's worth it to learn about medicine and physiology sometimes.

Bring the green stuff. As in what I like to call the "antibiotic gel" cuz it looks like the stuff from Trauma Center. Anyways, use that stuff religiously! Also, wash your hands everytime before you eat, after using the bathroom, or in intervals throughout the day. My family and I do this and it helps us get through the cold and flu seasons scot-free. I even go as far as using the antibiotic gel after washing my hands in a public restroom.

Also, this mainly comes from my OCD, but try to not eat with your hands. Try holding food with things like napkins or eat out of the bags if you can't find time to wash your hands. I can't stress enough just how easy it is to come down with something because you ate with dirty hands. Your mouth is the biggest transmission route just about any pathogen can get past.

Also, if you see someone that's sick, try to keep away from them. About 6 feet should do it if you don't want to go overboard with safety. And try to eat healthy and make sure your blood sugar doesn't hit the floor from forgetting to eat. If you feel shaky, weak in the knees and arms, or feel hot flashes, that's a sure sign of low blood sugar.
Everyone here already knows basic hygeine and nutrition.  Con sickness is bound to happen because of the crowds at con.

Team SilverHawk

Yeesh, is this the kind of thanks I get for at least trying to be helpful? No need to be rude.

And people wonder why us EMTs don't get much respect...
"Check it out, RONI--It's three sevens!" -Dr. Gabriel Cunningham (Trauma Team)

Haruka

For the first time in 7 years, I caught the Fani-Plague.  Actually half my party got it.  It laid us all out for like 2 weeks!
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: michiko nakano on July 03, 2010, 04:28:42 PM
Everyone here already knows basic hygeine and nutrition.  Con sickness is bound to happen because of the crowds at con.

That's not what the stereotypes say!

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but thanks for the tip on low blood sugar signs, SilverHawk.

Jelly Soup

I made a topic last year about the water being the cause of some of the sicknesses. A friend kept getting a swelled throat every time she got any of the water in or around her mouth. This year, a different friend was bed ridden for a day after consuming water from the tap.

Cosplay_Raver

I always get con sickness...as you drive away from the convention center and stare at it till its outta site, the next 3 days after fanime home are so lonley :(

Jerry

Quote from: Cosplay_Raver on July 30, 2010, 05:54:19 PM
I always get con sickness...as you drive away from the convention center and stare at it till its outta site, the next 3 days after fanime home are so lonley :(

your talking about PCD [ post con despression ]  

- the Con "sickness" is actually getting sick like colds, flu, etc.

just be glad there isnt a fanboy/girl equivalent of "mad cow" disease.

oh wait, there already such a thing as rabid fanboys and girls already... oh well. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Tsu

I used to get sick after every single con I went to, for about 3 years running. Fourth year, I decided to reduce my chances before it happened- I took an Airborne everyday (starting a few days before the con) about an hour before heading downstairs to help boost my immune system.  Didn't get sick that year. Repeated it the next year and added hand sanitizer as it was one of the H1N1 years. I've now been illness free for 3 years running.  w00tsauce!
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Runewitt

i used to just be hungover at the end of con..
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.