Black and White Ball - Dances You Would Like Taught for 2011

Started by tkdteo, June 09, 2010, 12:13:35 PM

So what dances would you like to be taught for the 2011 Black and White Ball?

Waltz (Slow Waltz)
Vienneze Waltz
Tango
Argentine Tango
Salsa
Rumba
Cha Cha
Hustle
East Coast Swing
West Coast Swing
Night Club Two Step
Merengue
Bolero
Samba
Foxtrot
Quickstep

tkdteo

Hello,

I am just taking a poll to see what dances people would like to learn for FanimeCon 2011.  This gives you an opportunity to vote for three (3) of the dances you would like to see taught at FanimeCon for next year.  This way, we can start planning for these dance lessons.  Please do remember though, these classes are going to be geared more toward beginning lessons than intermediate or advanced.  Thanks!

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

NekoMiki

michiko nakano

perhaps another historical type movie (like Gone With the Wind or something else with the viennese waltz in it) will come out and people will be like "oh my goodness, doesn't Viennese waltzing look fun?" and then it will be all popular and stuff. 

personally, i like the polka.  Like in The King and I ("Shall We Dance" song where Anna teaches the king to dance).  Heck, we could at least use that song.  It's a great song.

tkdteo

Quote from: NekoMiki on June 09, 2010, 02:26:40 PM
I demand Samba to be put on the list >:|

Done. ;)

Quote from: michiko nakano on June 09, 2010, 02:44:49 PM
perhaps another historical type movie (like Gone With the Wind or something else with the viennese waltz in it) will come out and people will be like "oh my goodness, doesn't Viennese waltzing look fun?" and then it will be all popular and stuff. 

personally, i like the polka.  Like in The King and I ("Shall We Dance" song where Anna teaches the king to dance).  Heck, we could at least use that song.  It's a great song.

Viannese Waltz is a popular dance and most of the waltz song suggestions from this past year were for Viennese Waltz, the only problem we are running into is having students pick up on the dance (it is one of the hardest dances to teach), having an instructor to teach the dance, and floor control during the dance because there are people who remain stationary or start a group dance so people dancing a traveling dance like V. Waltz will run into them.  We will see what we can do about it for next year.  But keep the votes coming.  :)

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

michiko nakano

as for the traveling problem, what if you cleared the floor and let the traveling couples have the first half of the song, then let everyone else filter on for the rest of the song?  it would be sooooo magical to have a waltzing circle...

Green_Tea

I personally only chose dances that I went to the classes for but had a lot of fun with the others as well.

Waltz - because most people seemed willing to actually try and do this dance and for me it seemed the easiest to learn. Plus, it's slow which people like.

East Coast Swing - Really really fun dance and there were a lot of songs for this and West Coast swing. (currently taking a west coast swing class with my husband and it is soo difficult. lol)

Argentinian tango - I had the most fun and felt the most comfortable with this dance after the class. Despite the amount of people on the floor too, with an experienced lead it was quite easy to get around. Plus I felt that the moves were more easily changed up from this style.. like the pace. I don't know if that makes sense.
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

Piccahoe

I always like the Waltz,  I think it's romantic esp with good music!
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

michiko nakano

that's the thing, waltzes are so classique and romantic that everyone's gonna get out on the floor and waltz, even if they don't know how to.  if we had a class, more and more of those people would have an even more special time because they'd actually know the steps.

tkdteo

Quote from: michiko nakano on June 18, 2010, 10:13:56 AM
that's the thing, waltzes are so classique and romantic that everyone's gonna get out on the floor and waltz, even if they don't know how to.  if we had a class, more and more of those people would have an even more special time because they'd actually know the steps.

The waltz is seen as a romantic dance and people do like the feel of having the Waltz as part of the Ball.  We offered two lessons this year along with private lessons where people were able to brush up on their Waltz steps.  Still, there are people who don't go to the lessons who just jump on the dance floor and do what they see on television.  There are a couple of things to consider when having a Waltz though.  Most people see the Vianesse Waltz on t.v. or in the movies and that is the one they try to emulate on the dance floor.  The only thing is, V. Waltz is very hard to teach and learn and it requires couples to move around the dance floor while turning.  We focused on teaching slow waltz because it was easier for people to pick up the steps and people could still move around the dance floor.  Another concern was that no matter how much crowd control staff did and no matter how many announcements we made, people were still standing on the dance floor or doing their own thing in the path of the dancers. 

We are not against the V. Waltz and will take a look at what we can do to maybe incorporate the dance in for next year (provided we have instructors who can teach it and come up with a way to ensure the safety of all the dancers).  But if you really want to make sure that you get the dance in there, vote for the dances you want to see taught next year.  :)

2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

michiko nakano

the thing is, i know there are people there who actually know how to do the viennese waltz... myself included... but i can't really think of a way to make it so those people could have a "waltzing circle" or whatever.  the only thing i can think of is if they did it after the ball ended, since everyone clears the floor and starts to leave... but that doesn't seem like it would really work either.  curses. 

my partner and just made a tiny circle of our own (like five feet in diameter) and though it was a bit awkward we still had a lot of fun :3

Piccahoe

I figured this Black and white ball would be more classy and romantic than raves and dances where people just go wild.
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

himitsu_

I voted for Tango and Slow Waltz.
Ah, the tango is so lovely <3

GoodAsianDriver

I know of some quality teachers for Salsa and East Coast Swing, as I am deeply involved in those communities of the bay area. So, if those dances rank high enough I know the right people to book.

And this is my first post on the fanime forums. Hello everyone!
--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati

tkdteo

Quote from: GoodAsianDriver on June 29, 2010, 10:36:05 PM
I know of some quality teachers for Salsa and East Coast Swing, as I am deeply involved in those communities of the bay area. So, if those dances rank high enough I know the right people to book.

And this is my first post on the fanime forums. Hello everyone!

Well let me be the first to welcome you to the forums.  :)  Thank you for your input on the dances that you would like to see for next year's ball.  We are always looking for any interested instructors or assistants for the lessons.  If you, or someone you know, is interested in teaching please feel free to drop us a line at [email protected].  Many of the instructors that we had on staff this year are instructors at their own respective studios also.  :)  Again thank you for your post and hope to hear from you soon.

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Okach

And some of us are just really avid hobby dancers :P.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

ININ

Please add Fox Trot to the list.  It's a great beginner dance :)

tkdteo

Quote from: ININ on July 08, 2010, 04:12:21 PM
Please add Fox Trot to the list.  It's a great beginner dance :)

I did not realize I had left that out.  Thanks for catching that.
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

PrincessCake

how about lindy hop? and if you need any teachers I'd love to help teach it!
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Team Magma Grunt from Pokemon Hoenn Season
- Rave/Dance Outfit

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: PrincessCake on October 15, 2010, 12:50:38 PM
how about lindy hop? and if you need any teachers I'd love to help teach it!
eeeeee.........
From my experience learning Lindy hop from my swing dance class.  I don't think Lindy hop is appropriate to teach most attendees because I felt like the learning curve is tricky.  I'm still learning Lindy Hop from my Swing dance and takes much longer to get the hang over if you don't learn the basics of EC Swing.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

PrincessCake

aww man its just so fun though...

but i would love to assist in west coast!
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Team Magma Grunt from Pokemon Hoenn Season
- Rave/Dance Outfit