Black and White Ball - Dances You Would Like Taught for 2011

Started by tkdteo, June 09, 2010, 12:13:35 PM

So what dances would you like to be taught for the 2011 Black and White Ball?

Waltz (Slow Waltz)
Vienneze Waltz
Tango
Argentine Tango
Salsa
Rumba
Cha Cha
Hustle
East Coast Swing
West Coast Swing
Night Club Two Step
Merengue
Bolero
Samba
Foxtrot
Quickstep

gftgy

How about Quickstep? It shouldn't be more dangerous than Viennese Waltz, which is on the list.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: gftgy on December 27, 2010, 04:12:43 PM
How about Quickstep? It shouldn't be more dangerous than Viennese Waltz, which is on the list.
IMO
I just don't think V Waltz is that dangerous if you focus on the basic than being more technical or exact like the Ballroom scene from what I've seen at the Gaskell Ball and Dickens fair.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

lil_koala

I prefer teaching/dancing quickstep than v.waltz. People tend to go crazy because v.waltz is what they see in movies and stuff. In addition, quickstep is easier to navigate on the dance floor especially with basics and lock steps.
2012-2016 B&W Ball Staff

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: lil_koala on December 30, 2010, 10:54:40 PM
I prefer teaching/dancing quickstep than v.waltz. People tend to go crazy because v.waltz is what they see in movies and stuff. In addition, quickstep is easier to navigate on the dance floor especially with basics and lock steps.
Its all about crowd control if you don't want people to go all crazy and stuff unless they know what they're doing.  Plus from the poll says alots of people want V Waltz is one of the most requested one and sadly quickstep is not mentioned nor brought up on the emails i'm receiving regarding the upcoming B&W Ball.  We just have to figure out how we're suppose to control the crowd and teach the most safest and give ground rules towards learning dance.
You just have to check out Dickens Fair because they there is no dance lessons to learn V Waltz.  Just alots of people who helps out from the Fezziwig group giving assistance and teach the people who's never gone out there how to do it.  From most of the time there, I rarely see people go crazy out there.  Just people going with the flow in rotary traffic.  And at Gaskell Ball they taught as how they do the most basic V Waltz and I thought it is very convenient and set ground rules about the dance floors.
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Kazansky

lady_tomoko

Quote from: michiko nakano on June 09, 2010, 02:44:49 PM
personally, i like the polka.  Like in The King and I ("Shall We Dance" song where Anna teaches the king to dance).  Heck, we could at least use that song.  It's a great song.

I agree, we should include polka. It's SOOOOOOOO much fun XD

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: lady_tomoko on February 22, 2011, 01:00:42 PM
Quote from: michiko nakano on June 09, 2010, 02:44:49 PM
personally, i like the polka.  Like in The King and I ("Shall We Dance" song where Anna teaches the king to dance).  Heck, we could at least use that song.  It's a great song.

I agree, we should include polka. It's SOOOOOOOO much fun XD
Yeah I know Polka is fun since I've done that in Dickens Fair, PEERS event, and Gaskell Ball.  But damn!  That dance is far more dangerous to perform at the dance floor if you don't have enough space.  That dance is more dangerous than people claiming V Waltz if not taught correctly and plus its probably most tiring than most of the dance we're teaching and assisting.  I'm gonna have to say no for that one since its not safe to teach people and do that around on the dance floor.
Kraken Con Staff

Okach

No polka!  The number of potential accidents makes me shudder.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

GoodAsianDriver

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on November 10, 2010, 12:11:59 AM
Quote from: PrincessCake on October 15, 2010, 12:50:38 PM
how about lindy hop? and if you need any teachers I'd love to help teach it!
eeeeee.........
From my experience learning Lindy hop from my swing dance class.  I don't think Lindy hop is appropriate to teach most attendees because I felt like the learning curve is tricky.  I'm still learning Lindy Hop from my Swing dance and takes much longer to get the hang over if you don't learn the basics of EC Swing.

Lindy Hop *Is* East Coast swing. Though many newbies to East Coast Swing tend to stick with a 6 count as opposed to the typical 8 count. What East Coast Swing, can still mean, however, different things to different people based on where you are geographically, and there are a few different styles within east coast swing itself.
--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati

tanntrum

As far as dances go everything looks stellar.
And as a member of the PEERS/Friday Night Waltz crowd I'm more of a fan of rotary waltz

Rather than dance classes, I would like to see a general 'free/practice hour class'
One of the best classes that I went to last year was the one near the end of the second day, where you just brought in everyone, took request on what people wanted to learn, and split into private lessons in groups of 4~8. The small numbers and direct instruction helped the most.

Maybe we could have a small 'mini-ball' some time before the big B&W. Just a 1hr mixed-bag set list to let people practice in a ballroom setting before the ravers take it over?

Wabbit98

There might be private lessons Friday night and Saturday night.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

Okach

Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

tanntrum

Any chance of learning a set choreographed dance like the Congress of Vienna or the Sir Roger De Cloverly.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: tanntrum on May 04, 2011, 10:51:32 PM
Any chance of learning a set choreographed dance like the Congress of Vienna or the Sir Roger De Cloverly.
Sadly to say no since what you see in the dance schedule is what we can offer.  But the good news is whenever I have the time I can teach you the Congress of Vienna since I attended many Dickens fair, PEERS events and Gaskell Ball.
Kraken Con Staff