San Francisco Anime Faire 2004

Started by Chloe, February 22, 2004, 10:46:41 AM

h-chan

Is anyone going as a FFX-2 character? I am and with that, I would like to extend the invite for group photos. I am going as Trainer Yuna.

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with the way they judge cosplay at the CBF? It seems if you make a full-body costume (cabbit, moogle, etc,) or something extremely large or complicated, or even looks so good, that it looks like it belongs in a live action version of your anime, you are sure to win. I made a very good and pretty accurate Yuna gunner costume last year. I froze my butt off out there and I didn't even get an honorable mention! Fine, okay. It's not like I'm being a baby about it. I just thought it was one of my crowning acheivements.

Over the last few years, the winners have always been the types of costumes I've mentioned above. I mean I'm not whining, persay. I saw other costumes that were outside of the "professional" looking category, that I thought should win. I mean they don't seem to recognize the people who maybe aren't seamstresses or don't know how to make a Gundam costume out of vinyl that's eyes light up too. (If you were there last year, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about...)

Am I the only one here!? Really? I think it's screwed. I mean it does push me to try harder every year, but I only have so much experience and so much disposable income...It seems like they need to change it. I think they need to have different categories like beginner, intermediate and advanced, or something like that, so us "little" guys can get some recognition. I mean that kind of judging can crush a beginning cosplayers spirit. In fact I still dread going to the CBF cosplay contest because I know I'll be outdone by those types of costumes. Like I said, I've been there several years and I have yet to see a "not so professional" costume win! In fact, the ONLY reason I still go is because it's the only other cosplay event I am able to go to besides Fanime and I have yet to enter a cosplay there.

What do you guys think?