FanimeCon 2011 Cosplay & Peace-Bonding Thread [Final]

Started by Aelia, June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

MyMidnightAffair

Thanks for all the info,  8) but I still have a few questions:
1) Are Bokkens allowed?
2) If yes, I can get them peace-bonded just by finding any Rover, & all I have to do is ask them to P-Bond it for me?
3) Would you need a picture to prove that the weapon we carry matches our cosplay?

Aelia

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on July 18, 2010, 01:30:39 AM
Thanks for all the info,  8) but I still have a few questions:
1) Are Bokkens allowed?
2) If yes, I can get them peace-bonded just by finding any Rover, & all I have to do is ask them to P-Bond it for me?
3) Would you need a picture to prove that the weapon we carry matches our cosplay?
1) Are Bokken allowed?
Yes
2) Who can peace bond them?
Rovers at peace bonding stations-- in 2010 there was a station in the convention center entrance hall next to the gatherings table, and a station on the marriott second floor, near the panels rooms. These two tables (at minimum) should return in 2011.
3) Would you need a picture to prove it matches?
The rule about props is: Only props which are part of a cosplay and suit the costume will be peace-bonded. It should be clear just by looking at you that the bokken is appropriate for the costume, and it should not be necessary to have a picture for it to be clear that you are cosplaying.

Questions 2 and 3 are answered by the first two bullet-points under "Prop Rules & Limitations," but I'm guessing you asked because it wasn't clear, so I hope this explanation was clearer.

What are you cosplaying?
Director of Operations

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: Aelia on July 18, 2010, 07:24:09 AM
Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on July 18, 2010, 01:30:39 AM
Thanks for all the info,  8) but I still have a few questions:
1) Are Bokkens allowed?
1) Are Bokken allowed?
Yes
2) Who can peace bond them?
Rovers at peace bonding stations-- in 2010 there was a station in the convention center entrance hall next to the gatherings table, and a station on the marriott second floor, near the panels rooms. These two tables (at minimum) should return in 2011.
3) Would you need a picture to prove it matches?
The rule about props is: Only props which are part of a cosplay and suit the costume will be peace-bonded. It should be clear just by looking at you that the bokken is appropriate for the costume, and it should not be necessary to have a picture for it to be clear that you are cosplaying.

Questions 2 and 3 are answered by the first two bullet-points under "Prop Rules & Limitations," but I'm guessing you asked because it wasn't clear, so I hope this explanation was clearer.

What are you cosplaying?
Thank you for the helpful answers: This is will be my first time bringing a weapon to Fanime.  
I will be cosplaying as Izuna from the video game Izuna:Legend of the Unemployed Ninja, and as Kyubei Yagyu from Gintama.
Izuna is mostly seen holding a steel katana, & since I do not have that, I decided to bring a bokken instead.
For Kyubei Yagyu's cosplay, same thing.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: Aelia on June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM
FanimeCon Prop Rules & Limitations
  • Some props are allowed conditionally:
    - Signs which are an integral part of a cosplay, and which an actual character carries may be peace-bonded.
So does that mean that my Brain Age cosplay need to be peace-bonded?
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/292689/
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Aelia

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on July 23, 2010, 02:23:17 AM
    - Signs which are an integral part of a cosplay, and which an actual character carries may be peace-bonded.
I would consider your particular sign to be clothing, rather than a prop... because of the way it's used.
Director of Operations

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: Aelia on July 23, 2010, 10:18:12 AM
Quote from: OniCourseMusha on July 23, 2010, 02:23:17 AM
I would consider your particular sign to be clothing, rather than a prop... because of the way it's used.
Thanks for clarifying.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

azreale

can i use tonfa made out of cardboard or foam as a prop or is that also not ok?
also if i have two props, a stand alone giant Kirara and sango's hiraikotsu, can they both be long and large or do they have to fit the sixe restriction as if they were one large prop?
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Aelia

Quote from: azreale on August 03, 2010, 11:20:20 PM
also if i have two props, a stand alone giant Kirara and sango's hiraikotsu, can they both be long and large or do they have to fit the sixe restriction as if they were one large prop?
Our size restriction is intended to make it so that in the case of an evacuation, we would not have huge cosplayers with huge props clogging doorways and slowing everything down. If you feel that your Sango props and costume combined would not pose a moving hazard in such a situation, then everything should be fine.
Director of Operations

azreale

Quote from: Aelia on August 03, 2010, 11:33:28 PM
Our size restriction is intended to make it so that in the case of an evacuation, we would not have huge cosplayers with huge props clogging doorways and slowing everything down. If you feel that your Sango props and costume combined would not pose a moving hazard in such a situation, then everything should be fine.
alright thank you
but what about the cardboard tonfa? they'de be sewn to the costume so that the only way to hurt anything would be to willingly use my fists as a weapon instead

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Aelia

Quote from: azreale on August 04, 2010, 09:45:15 AM
alright thank you
but what about the cardboard tonfa? they'de be sewn to the costume so that the only way to hurt anything would be to willingly use my fists as a weapon instead
Sorry-- forgot to answer the tonfa bit.
We're not allowing tonfa (regardless of material) because it violates California weapons code. Until I manage to get an appointment with SJPD to talk about "what if it's made of ____" I'd rather say no. (Because I'm less of a jerk if I start with no and switch to yes later than the other way around.) Keep an eye on any updates which may or may not happen later this year.
Director of Operations

azreale

Quote from: Aelia on August 04, 2010, 04:41:27 PM
Quote from: azreale on August 04, 2010, 09:45:15 AM

alright awesome. will do!
alright thank you
Sorry-- forgot to answer the tonfa bit.
We're not allowing tonfa (regardless of material) because it violates California weapons code. Until I manage to get an appointment with SJPD to talk about "what if it's made of ____" I'd rather say no. (Because I'm less of a jerk if I start with no and switch to yes later than the other way around.) Keep an eye on any updates which may or may not happen later this year.

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

gr33nt3a

I have a kind of odd question. What I will have isn't necessarily a weapon, but I wanted to check just in case.

I am planning on making a doctor/apothecary steampunk costume for the theme gathering in 2011. For part of the costume I was wanting to make a backpack with specimen jars on the outside and filling them with things that looked like medicine.

As long as nothing in them is actual medicine/flammable/ not given to other people/etc...should this be ok?

For example I was planning on filling one jar with peppermint tea to look like herbs or another with a candy like good and plenty to look like pills.

Would it be ok to just come and get this inspected/peace bonded say if the jars are glued shut or should I bring the materials (like the good and plenty in the box), show the staff doing the peacebonding, and let them watch me put it into the jars so they know exactly what it is?

Thanks, and sorry if this is confusing. I just wanted to check in before I start making this. =)

Aelia

Quote from: gr33nt3a on August 08, 2010, 01:09:29 PM
I have a kind of odd question. What I will have isn't necessarily a weapon, but I wanted to check just in case.

I am planning on making a doctor/apothecary steampunk costume for the theme gathering in 2011. For part of the costume I was wanting to make a backpack with specimen jars on the outside and filling them with things that looked like medicine.

As long as nothing in them is actual medicine/flammable/ not given to other people/etc...should this be ok?

For example I was planning on filling one jar with peppermint tea to look like herbs or another with a candy like good and plenty to look like pills.

Would it be ok to just come and get this inspected/peace bonded say if the jars are glued shut or should I bring the materials (like the good and plenty in the box), show the staff doing the peacebonding, and let them watch me put it into the jars so they know exactly what it is?

Thanks, and sorry if this is confusing. I just wanted to check in before I start making this. =)
Oh man dude... way to come up with quite the doozy. I think... as long as you're not pretending to be a doctor in inappropriate situations-- that is, no rushing up to an actual medical situation and pretending you can help-- and you're not giving people "medicine", and it stays in your backpack, you should be OK.

You won't have to glue your jars shut, I think.
Director of Operations

CosplayDevotee

THANK YOU SO MUCH for putting this up so early! OMG you have no idea how much this will help me with my concerns with my cosplays! I was hoping you could help me out with two in particular. My group of friends decided that we should all go as Soul Eater. My character is Death the Kid who carries guns! I can go without if needed, but the whole point of this guy is his guns which sucks. I saw above that the policy mentioned we could use toy or fake guns that had no working parts AND the orange tip. Here is a picture of the cosplay I would be going as and I would make sure there was an orange tip. Let me know if this is okay.

and my friend would be going as Maka from Soul Eater with the possibility of using her scythe which I have seen others from last year carrying around, and I see that the image below shows a girl using one in the convention center (I am aware the rules can change however). We both understand that she would not be able to swing it around (as if a 24 year old would, but you never know lol) and that it must remain vertical at all times.

And thanks again for this! I have already favorited this on my computer.
EDIT: just realized how big this post is because of the pictures. SORRY

Aelia

Junsui_87:  The scythe is the easier question; yes, she can carry it provided it can fit through a normal doorway.

The guns are a little trickier (but not by much) you have to make sure they don't work in any way, and they have to have the orange tip.

Both of you would have to get peace-bonded to carry those.
Director of Operations

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: Aelia on August 16, 2010, 10:08:18 AM
Junsui_87:  The scythe is the easier question; yes, she can carry it provided it can fit through a normal doorway.

The guns are a little trickier (but not by much) you have to make sure they don't work in any way, and they have to have the orange tip.

Both of you would have to get peace-bonded to carry those.
I figured as much since ANYTHING resembling a weapon should be peacebonded. (I guess I forgot to mentioned that in my post.) :o It states all of the above on the first page in your post, but I wanted to double check. I don't want to lug something as large as a scythe all the way there, just to have it left in the hotel room for "funzies." I was more worried about my weapons since they are guns. Thanks for the advice though. ^_^

azreale

my Stand alone kirara would be rather large.... but on wheels and easy to move but horizontal do to her structure. do you think that would be ok? 
like in this picture: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1108608/
this cosplayer did the same think that im thinking of. she doesn't have her boomerang in this picture but she did have both

this ok? or to much of a potential hazard?

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Aelia

Quote from: azreale on August 18, 2010, 10:29:23 PM
my Stand alone kirara would be rather large.... but on wheels and easy to move but horizontal do to her structure. do you think that would be ok? 
this cosplayer did the same think that im thinking of. she doesn't have her boomerang in this picture but she did have both

Err.... I'm gonna say that Kirara should stay outside-- that is, on the first floor concorse, and out front by the fountains. Just for crowd reasons (both when you're trying to move, and when you get stopped for fifty bazillion pictures) It would not be okay in the exhibit halls, because they get too crowded.

If you do actually make that, please do enter in masquerade. I think it would be prize-worthy. Grab some other inuyasha cosplays, too.
Director of Operations

azreale

Quote from: Aelia on August 19, 2010, 12:19:15 AM
Quote from: azreale on August 18, 2010, 10:29:23 PM

Err.... I'm gonna say that Kirara should stay outside-- that is, on the first floor concorse, and out front by the fountains. Just for crowd reasons (both when you're trying to move, and when you get stopped for fifty bazillion pictures) It would not be okay in the exhibit halls, because they get too crowded.

If you do actually make that, please do enter in masquerade. I think it would be prize-worthy. Grab some other inuyasha cosplays, too.
haha thanks
well what about if kirara was alone? would she be aloud in  the halls? im asking because the plan i have now is to make it so that i can either walk with a stand alone kirara with me. or wear the kirara myself as a costume.  As Kirara i'd have a handler but as she is still big i wanted to know if she'd be allowed upstairs in the more popular areas?  i did this two years ago with Akamaru  but kirara's a tad bigger with her tails & all.  just making sure this would be ok
thanks!

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

MyMidnightAffair

Ah.. -raises hand- I still need a little help on peace-bonding.. >-<"