FanimeCon 2011 Cosplay & Peace-Bonding Thread [Final]

Started by Aelia, June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

Aelia

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on September 27, 2010, 03:24:37 PM
Also, just to make sure... a non-functional giant hammer that is small enough to fit through doorways (it will probably end up being ~5'7" or 5'8" so) would be allowed if I get it tagged, correct?

That looks OK to me. Should be fine.
Director of Operations

DennisTheMennis

If I cosplay as Kouta Hirano from HOTD and use a real nail gun, that is gutted + has painted orange tip, will that have to be peace bonded? Or is the fact that I have a 'real' nail gun enough that I cannot use the prop.

Also, I am a little confused about the peace bonding. I recall seeing people walk around with props not tied down to anything but the rules say "If you want to carry a prop at FanimeCon, it must be peace-bonded...," So would this prevent me from holding any prop, such as the nail gun or staff?

Charis

Dennis, "peace bonding" doesn't necessarily mean binding the weapon to its sheath or otherwise to the person -- though that may vary from convention to convention.  Typically, peacebonding means con staff places a coloured zip tie or some other distinctive marker on the prop/weapon that means the person holding it has agreed to the convention terms with regards to that item (which will usually include things like "I won't swing it around" and "I won't threaten anyone with it, except in posing for pictures").
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Aelia

Quote from: DennisTheMennis on October 13, 2010, 10:02:09 PM
If I cosplay as Kouta Hirano from HOTD and use a real nail gun, that is gutted + has painted orange tip, will that have to be peace bonded? Or is the fact that I have a 'real' nail gun enough that I cannot use the prop.

Also, I am a little confused about the peace bonding. I recall seeing people walk around with props not tied down to anything but the rules say "If you want to carry a prop at FanimeCon, it must be peace-bonded...," So would this prevent me from holding any prop, such as the nail gun or staff?

Charis had it right; we don't have to attach it to you just because it's peace bonded.

What sort of nail gun are you planning on carrying? (Brand? Pics? Anything distinguishing?) I mean, a pneumatic nail gun would be fine, because unless you have an air compressor with you, it's harmless. An electric one though, would be harder to establish as "gutted" and nailguns are actually very dangerous. Before I can OK it, I'd like a little more detail on the gun you want to use.
Director of Operations

ayame_nguyen

1. would aisaka taiga's wooden sword//bokken be okay?
pictures : http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/225/f/a/Toradora__The_Tiger__s_Tears_by_behindinfinity.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/taiga%20sword/kyubichan/random%20pics/tenori_taiga_PNG.png
http://media.photobucket.com/image/taiga%20sword/MetalSonic700/08983d95b874998f7cc3caba39d577eb4b5.jpg
2. also if this is allowed it needs to be peacebonded correct ?
3. do ALL props need to be peace bonded or is it just weapon props ? for example hatsune miku's meagaphone in love is war. i used it last year and did not get it peacebonded and no one stopped me for it so would the megaphone be okay?

thanks~ 

Aelia

Quote from: ayame_nguyen on November 07, 2010, 09:41:35 PM
1. would aisaka taiga's wooden sword//bokken be okay?
pictures : http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/225/f/a/Toradora__The_Tiger__s_Tears_by_behindinfinity.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/taiga%20sword/kyubichan/random%20pics/tenori_taiga_PNG.png
http://media.photobucket.com/image/taiga%20sword/MetalSonic700/08983d95b874998f7cc3caba39d577eb4b5.jpg
2. also if this is allowed it needs to be peacebonded correct ?
3. do ALL props need to be peace bonded or is it just weapon props ? for example hatsune miku's meagaphone in love is war. i used it last year and did not get it peacebonded and no one stopped me for it so would the megaphone be okay?

thanks~ 

The bokken would need to be peacebonded, but it is alright to carry. The megaphone is allowed as long as it does not become a problem; don't use it indoors, keep control of it, etc. You know, standard common courtesy. If it becomes a problem, that may change, but it does not need to be peacebonded.
Director of Operations

DennisTheMennis

Aelia

Quote from: DennisTheMennis on November 16, 2010, 12:37:08 AM
So it turns out I am not allowed to gut the nailgun. However, it is only usable with an air compressor.
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8987/nailgund.jpg

instructions booklet as well
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/campbell-hausfeld/NB003008/

As I said, a pneumatic nail gun would be fine (even un-gutted). I'm sure we'd notice you hauling around the air-compressor which would be necessary to make it dangerous. Just don't put any nails in it while on premises, and get it peacebonded properly.
Director of Operations

Chaye

Quote from: Aelia on June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM
- Especially in crowded areas, attendees are expected to carry their props carefully & in neutral positions. Long or tall props must be carried vertically, and sword-like and gun-like props should be holstered.

What if you won't have a sheath for your gun? I don't plan on making Caliburn's sheath at all because I won't have time nor the skill to do it. This threw me off..

Also I have a cosplay I'm working on and she has chains from her hip to her wristson both the front and back. Do I have to have plastic chains or am I allowed to use metal ones?

AX Staff
Exhibit Hall: Asst Manager
o(≧∀≦)o

Aelia

Quote from: Chaye on November 16, 2010, 06:17:11 PM
- Especially in crowded areas, attendees are expected to carry their props carefully & in neutral positions. Long or tall props must be carried vertically, and sword-like and gun-like props should be holstered.

What if you won't have a sheath for your gun? I don't plan on making Caliburn's sheath at all because I won't have time nor the skill to do it.
Err... Caliburn? Let's start with who Caliburn is and work from there. Caliburn from Fate Stay Night, the cute girl with the big sword? Does she have a gun? If you can't do the sheath, you can't do the sheath, but a loop on a belt would suffice for the "holstered".

Also I have a cosplay I'm working on and she has chains from her hip to her wristson both the front and back. Do I have to have plastic chains or am I allowed to use metal ones?
This isn't Caliburn anymore? She doesn't seem to have chains. Who is this cosplay?
Director of Operations

Chaye

Quote from: Aelia on November 16, 2010, 11:52:37 PM

What if you won't have a sheath for your gun? I don't plan on making Caliburn's sheath at all because I won't have time nor the skill to do it.
Err... Caliburn? Let's start with who Caliburn is and work from there. Caliburn from Fate Stay Night, the cute girl with the big sword? Does she have a gun? If you can't do the sheath, you can't do the sheath, but a loop on a belt would suffice for the "holstered".

Sorry I probably should have been more clear. Caliburn is the sword's name. Saber uses it. I do have one other question regarding this sword though. It's going to be proportionately large. Seeing I'm tall I have to make it so I can comfortable rest my hands on it like so: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:72CwJrUf_pQVzM:http://www.kevinlmw.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/fate_stay_night-fate_unlimited_codes-saber-saber_lily-sword_thumb.jpg&t=1
I'm not sure if it will be too large to put in a loop on my waist and not be worried about hitting anyone with it. Would it then fall under the category of a larger prop and need to be carried vertically?

This is Caliburn for your reference on the look of the sword. http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090730164911/typemoon/images/7/7d/W._Caliburn.jpg

Quote from: Aelia on November 16, 2010, 11:52:37 PM
Also I have a cosplay I'm working on and she has chains from her hip to her wrists on both the front and back. Do I have to have plastic chains or am I allowed to use metal ones?
This isn't Caliburn anymore? She doesn't seem to have chains. Who is this cosplay?

I was talking about a completely different cosplay, thus why I used the spacing I did. This one is Magical Exemplar from the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game. she has chains that extend from her belt on her waist  to her wrists. this is on both the back and the front. I am curious on whether I am allowed to use metal or if it has to be non-metal.
The best I can do for a reference picture for her is to show you a picture of the card seeing she has not been in the anime series. Though, I may be wrong about it being on both the back and front. Re-looking at the picture it seems like it comes from the back and is wrapped around to the back. But I still need to know what type of material is allowed for a chain like that.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100725061521/yugioh/images/3/3f/MagicalExemplarSDSC-EN-C-1E.png

Sorry if I ranted a little on the last one I am literally in the middle of constructing that cosplay so I'm on a totally different thought process than normal.

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Aelia

Chaye-- the spacing makes sense when you mention it, but when initially posted/read it just made me think you were talking about two different props.

Anyway, regarding the Sword: It's large enough that it would qualify as a "large prop" and would just need to be carried neutrally, rather than you having to find a way to make a sheath for it... which would be awkward at best.

Regarding the chains: If you have the ability to do so, it would be better to use plastic. As far as OK-ing metal, let me ask the powers that be and get back to you. In the past, we haven't allowed it, but I'm not entirely sure about our opinion for this year.
Director of Operations

Runewitt

Side not to Chaye, if you decide to do the second cosplay mentioned, do you really want to be walking around with metal chains dragging your arms down? even smaller chains will feel heavy if you have to walk around with them for a few hours.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Aelia

As far as the chains go, plastic would be best. Metal chains, provided they are lightweight metal chains would be alright. (By "lightweight" I mean like jewelry chain, 13mm or less. Not hardware chains, which would be Grade 10 and up.) Make sure that they are secured, and that they cannot be swung around, and that you can still safely move.

Add some sort of safety fastener at either end; a carabiner or something, so if anything happens, you can be unhooked quickly.
Director of Operations

Chaye

Quote from: Aelia on November 17, 2010, 10:22:35 PM
As far as the chains go, plastic would be best. Metal chains, provided they are lightweight metal chains would be alright. (By "lightweight" I mean like jewelry chain, 13mm or less. Not hardware chains, which would be Grade 10 and up.) Make sure that they are secured, and that they cannot be swung around, and that you can still safely move.

Add some sort of safety fastener at either end; a carabiner or something, so if anything happens, you can be unhooked quickly.

I am still looking for plastic chain, I assure you! I'm just having a difficult time finding plastic chain in small enough links, but I haven't given up looking. I just wanted to know in case I have to last resort to it. And thanks! Now I know that if all else fails to use jewelry grade.

Runewitt- thank you for your concern, but I had considered such things before deciding on making this cosplay. I'm already 65% done with it.

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Aelia

If you really need to use hardware grade, use the very lightweight stuff. (If it's going to be horribly difficult or expensive to find jewelery stuff) My point is mostly to use smaller chain...
Director of Operations

Chaye

Quote from: Aelia on November 18, 2010, 10:38:29 AM
If you really need to use hardware grade, use the very lightweight stuff. (If it's going to be horribly difficult or expensive to find jewelery stuff) My point is mostly to use smaller chain...

Jewelry chain is actually not hard to get at all nor is it all that expensive (not that I find things to be too expensive when it comes to cosplay lol) But thank you! I'm glad I know what I can use now ^__^

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Saulon-the-Nekoromancer

Forgive me if something similar has already been asked and answered, but I'm trying to put together a Griffith costume for the upcoming con, and I'm considering crafting the sabre and scabbard of wood. Will I be able to wear it around with no problem after having it peace bonded? Will I be able to draw and pose with it for pictures?

Aelia

Quote from: Saulon-the-Nekoromancer on December 06, 2010, 09:45:33 PM
Forgive me if something similar has already been asked and answered, but I'm trying to put together a Griffith costume for the upcoming con, and I'm considering crafting the sabre and scabbard of wood. Will I be able to wear it around with no problem after having it peace bonded? Will I be able to draw and pose with it for pictures?

As long as it's made of wood, you only need a peace-bond. It would still be draw-able.
Director of Operations

azreale

Quote from: azreale on August 20, 2010, 12:52:17 AM
Quote from: Aelia on August 19, 2010, 11:25:24 PM
Quote from: azreale on August 19, 2010, 10:51:48 PM
Quote from: Aelia on August 19, 2010, 10:37:35 PM
Quote from: azreale on August 19, 2010, 08:28:10 PM
Quote from: azreale on August 19, 2010, 03:14:56 PM
Quote from: Aelia on August 19, 2010, 12:19:15 AM
Quote from: azreale on August 18, 2010, 10:29:23 PM
Quote from: Aelia on August 03, 2010, 11:33:28 PM
Quote from: azreale on August 03, 2010, 11:20:20 PM
can i use tonfa made out of cardboard or foam as a prop or is that also not ok?
also if i have two props, a stand alone giant Kirara and sango's hiraikotsu, can they both be long and large or do they have to fit the sixe restriction as if they were one large prop?
Our size restriction is intended to make it so that in the case of an evacuation, we would not have huge cosplayers with huge props clogging doorways and slowing everything down. If you feel that your Sango props and costume combined would not pose a moving hazard in such a situation, then everything should be fine.
my Stand alone kirara would be rather large.... but on wheels and easy to move but horizontal do to her structure. do you think that would be ok? 
like in this picture: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1108608/
this cosplayer did the same think that im thinking of. she doesn't have her boomerang in this picture but she did have both

this ok? or to much of a potential hazard?

Err.... I'm gonna say that Kirara should stay outside-- that is, on the first floor concorse, and out front by the fountains. Just for crowd reasons (both when you're trying to move, and when you get stopped for fifty bazillion pictures) It would not be okay in the exhibit halls, because they get too crowded.

If you do actually make that, please do enter in masquerade. I think it would be prize-worthy. Grab some other inuyasha cosplays, too.
haha thanks
well what about if kirara was alone? would she be aloud in  the halls? im asking because the plan i have now is to make it so that i can either walk with a stand alone kirara with me. or wear the kirara myself as a costume.  As Kirara i'd have a handler but as she is still big i wanted to know if she'd be allowed upstairs in the more popular areas?  i did this two years ago with Akamaru  but kirara's a tad bigger with her tails & all.  just making sure this would be ok
thanks!
??? the above quote????
I'm gonna need some real dimensions to be able to visualize just how large we're talking here.
hmmmm.... at the tallest she'll be about 4'5" or shorter. and in length about..... 5-6.5 ft long?  at the VERY longest 7. but thats doubtful
The verdict is something along the lines of:
Provided that she really stays within the 4.5' x 6.5' range, you can have her out on the concourse, in the public areas of the convention center. Kirara would not be allowed into panels, video rooms, or exhibit halls.

thats fine. but if i/kirara were to enter the halls for a moment and stayed in the open areas to hide from the crowds  or in the alcoves by the exits of the halls, would that be ok?  (i.e. open areas in the gamers hall or  the open spots by the exits that are usually very uncrowded?)

i know you said to stay out of the halls  but what about nearest bathroom access? or will my hotel room be the only option? as well as drinking fountains?
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)