FanimeCon 2011 Cosplay & Peace-Bonding Thread [Final]

Started by Aelia, June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

Aelia

Quote from: udonoodle on March 31, 2011, 10:46:06 PM
Quote from: Aelia on March 31, 2011, 10:39:11 PM
Quote from: udonoodle on March 31, 2011, 10:32:58 PM
Hello!
I have a sword (which i'm planning on altering the handle into a prop)
it's edges are NOT sharpened
but it has a pointy end
It is made of metal

Will this get taken?

No. We don't peace-bond metal swords.

...so why do you say "live steel" rather than "all steel"?
thanks for the update
(although i am a little depressed)

Any sword which is made of metal is made to be potentially sharpened. It's the way they're designed. So all metal swords are "live steel"

What people have done in the past to still have something to carry is cutting off the blade and attaching the handle to hilt. That's your choice though. Other people have substituted bokken, because they basically look like sheathed swords-- unless your sword would be a western-style sword rather than a katana-- and they can be made to work.
Director of Operations

udonoodle

Quote from: Aelia on March 31, 2011, 10:49:23 PM
Hello!
but it has a pointy end
It is made of metal

Will this get taken?

thanks for the update

Any sword which is made of metal is made to be potentially sharpened. It's the way they're designed. So all metal swords are "live steel"

What people have done in the past to still have something to carry is cutting off the blade and attaching the handle to hilt. That's your choice though. Other people have substituted bokken, because they basically look like sheathed swords-- unless your sword would be a western-style sword rather than a katana-- and they can be made to work.

"handle to hilt"?
a hilt is a handle isn't it?
well i guess thanks is order (it would have sucked to finish the prop and then figure this out)
i'll just make the whole thing out of expandable foam and be done with it >.>

BunofGovt

Question for you: 

My cosplay will include a toy cap pistol that has an orange colored barrel and white grip.   

I'm going to remove the cylinder and trigger so the pistol is inoperable.  The orange barrel will also have some rainbow colored stripes added (the tip is going to stay orange).

I read earlier that the gun should be holstered so the tip shows, but can I use a holster that is clear plastic so the whole gun shows?  I wanted the rainbow effect to be visible. 

Here is the original pistol:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Bunnriddler/ToyGunProp?authkey=Gv1sRgCLT7j-avk7bp5wE&feat=directlink
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Aelia

Quote from: udonoodle on March 31, 2011, 10:53:38 PM
Quote from: Aelia on March 31, 2011, 10:49:23 PM
Hello!
but it has a pointy end
It is made of metal

Will this get taken?

thanks for the update

"handle to hilt"?
a hilt is a handle isn't it?
well i guess thanks is order (it would have sucked to finish the prop and then figure this out)
i'll just make the whole thing out of expandable foam and be done with it >.>

I meant scabbard. What people have done is removed the metal so what they have is the grip and the scabbard. And yeah, this thread is here so that people can find this out pre-con, rather than getting there and hearing that it's not allowed.

If it makes you feel better, we don't have any problem with foam. Or wooden blades. People have done wooden swords with silver-painted blades.

Quote from: BunofGovt on March 31, 2011, 11:24:50 PM
Question for you: 

My cosplay will include a toy cap pistol that has an orange colored barrel and white grip.   

I'm going to remove the cylinder and trigger so the pistol is inoperable.  The orange barrel will also have some rainbow colored stripes added (the tip is going to stay orange).

I read earlier that the gun should be holstered so the tip shows, but can I use a holster that is clear plastic so the whole gun shows?  I wanted the rainbow effect to be visible. 

Here is the original pistol:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Bunnriddler/ToyGunProp?authkey=Gv1sRgCLT7j-avk7bp5wE&feat=directlink

I can't get your picture to load. I don't see why there would be a problem with a clear holster.
Director of Operations

BunofGovt

Sorry about the link, should have taken you to my google album.  I purchased the pistol from Walgreens, it's one of the Replica Series Cap Pistol.  Thanks for the info!

SukebeStudios

I was considering a Robocop cosplay. would a replica of his gun used in the movie be acceptable?

Here is a picture:

Rank

Hi! I have a question about one of my props:

In 2009 I cosplayed a character with a baseball bat, but the bat was a home-made REPLICA bat. What I mean by that is, the dimensions are smaller than that of a factory baseball bat and it is not made out of Oak/Birch wood, it's made out of Balsa wood (the kind used for model air planes). It's very light and somewhat fragile and if dropped on a hard floor might actually snap.

here is an image of my prop: http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z105/psyrate/fanime2009/badgirlprogress6.jpg

It looks like it could be real, which obviously is the effect I wanted. But I was wondering, given the actual construction of my prop, is it allowed?

Thanks for your help.

Aelia

Quote from: BunofGovt on April 01, 2011, 06:29:20 AM
Sorry about the link, should have taken you to my google album.  I purchased the pistol from Walgreens, it's one of the Replica Series Cap Pistol.  Thanks for the info!
Can you please get me an actual picture of it? The one to your picasa album gets me a blank screen, I think because it's either deleted, or not properly shared. I don't see an issue with a clear holster, no, but I would like to see the gun in question.

Quote from: SukebeStudios on April 02, 2011, 02:34:49 AM
I was considering a Robocop cosplay. would a replica of his gun used in the movie be acceptable?

Here is a picture:

That's gonna be a No. It looks like a real gun, it's made out of metal, and it doesn't have the required non-removable orange tip.

Quote from: Rank on April 03, 2011, 03:29:51 AM
In 2009 I cosplayed a character with a baseball bat, but the bat was a home-made REPLICA bat. What I mean by that is, the dimensions are smaller than that of a factory baseball bat and it is not made out of Oak/Birch wood, it's made out of Balsa wood (the kind used for model air planes). It's very light and somewhat fragile and if dropped on a hard floor might actually snap.

here is an image of my prop: http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z105/psyrate/fanime2009/badgirlprogress6.jpg

It looks like it could be real, which obviously is the effect I wanted. But I was wondering, given the actual construction of my prop, is it allowed?
Going by our props policy, it is still a wooden bat, and the answer should be no.
Director of Operations

BunofGovt

Aelia

Quote from: BunofGovt on April 03, 2011, 07:17:49 PM
Here's the pistol

With rainbow stripes added, eh? I don't see that being mistaken for a real gun. I don't think it'll be a problem, just make sure while at-con it doesn't get pointed at anyone.
Director of Operations

BunofGovt

quote author=Aelia link=topic=14641.msg411923#msg411923 date=1301888970]
Quote from: BunofGovt on April 03, 2011, 07:17:49 PM
Here's the pistol

With rainbow stripes added, eh? I don't see that being mistaken for a real gun. I don't think it'll be a problem, just make sure while at-con it doesn't get pointed at anyone.
[/quote]

Will do, thanks!  One of the reasons for having the clear holster, so I wouldn't have to carry it.   :D

EnmaRaeg

If I'm doing a Gijinka version of a teddy bear character, who carries a chainsaw, would I need to tell the Rovers that it's a gijinka?

Aelia

Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 05, 2011, 10:57:18 PM
If I'm doing a Gijinka version of a teddy bear character, who carries a chainsaw, would I need to tell the Rovers that it's a gijinka?
So..... ..... a bear-suit and a chainsaw? To be honest, that doesn't sound like the sort of thing we can or should be peace-bonding. The reason being that our rule is that the prop must suit the costume. In this case, I can see no reason why a teddy bear needs to have a chain saw.

On that note, what materials would said chainsaw be made out of? I hope it's obvious that a real one could not be carried.
Director of Operations

heeroyuy135

http://www.acparadise.com/photographers/10464/5835/1937a0a17acc40c5d9a9b4f6c2e40195.jpg

So I have this prop evoker that I use for Junpei from Persona 3. I also have a holster that I keep the evoker in when not in use for photo shoots. How would this work?

EnmaRaeg

Quote from: Aelia on April 05, 2011, 11:10:04 PM
So..... ..... a bear-suit and a chainsaw? To be honest, that doesn't sound like the sort of thing we can or should be peace-bonding. The reason being that our rule is that the prop must suit the costume. In this case, I can see no reason why a teddy bear needs to have a chain saw.

On that note, what materials would said chainsaw be made out of? I hope it's obvious that a real one could not be carried.

Well, it's not exactly a bear suit, it's a hoodie modified to look like the character. And the chainsaw is made of paper mache and foam

Aelia

Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 08, 2011, 06:59:51 AM

Well, it's not exactly a bear suit, it's a hoodie modified to look like the character. And the chainsaw is made of paper mache and foam
Alright. A paper mache and foam chainsaw is ok IF you can tell me why I should let a bear carry a chainsaw, and I buy it. Who is this bear? Why do they need a chainsaw? Is it a specific character, or what?

The biggest part of our props policy is that you have to be in a costume, and the prop has to suit it.
Director of Operations

EnmaRaeg

Quote from: Aelia on April 08, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 08, 2011, 06:59:51 AM

Alright. A paper mache and foam chainsaw is ok IF you can tell me why I should let a bear carry a chainsaw, and I buy it. Who is this bear? Why do they need a chainsaw? Is it a specific character, or what?

The biggest part of our props policy is that you have to be in a costume, and the prop has to suit it.

Whoops sorry to post the character in the first place ^^"
Hyde: http://img2.bleachexile.com/manga/hyde-and-closer/001/Hyde_001_52-53.png

As you can see, he's a bear that carries a chainsaw. But since I don't have enough money for a real teddy bear fursuit, I just went with the simple gijinka version

Brutal

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Well I'll be cosplaying Zoey from Left 4 Dead and I was looking through some guns and I found this awesome AK-47.
Though I'm not sure if it's ok to bring, the gun is awesome and I'd love to buy it and bring it but I'm not sure if its ok.
These guns are NOT real! They are fake, they do have the orange tip!
I DO NOT WANT A REAL GUN TO BRING JUST A FAKE ONE THAT WOULD GO GOOD WITH MY COSPLAY!
AK-47
M16A1

If anyone has any other websites I can buy a fake gun from please let me know.
Here is the list of the guns the game has if anyone wanted to know.

http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

IF ANYONE... can help me out that'd be great ♥
QuotePILLZ HERE!

2012 Cosplays » Zoey | Scout's Mom | Caroline | Rebecca Chambers | Panty | Miku

Runewitt

No.

Airsoft weapons are not allowed, under any circumstances.

from the costume and weapon policy
Quote from: costume and weapon policyCertain weapons are banned no matter what:
Anything which is illegal in the United States, or in California.
Real weapons, projectile weapons (such as airsoft or bb guns), live steel1, metal/wooden baseball bats, metal kunai, incendiary devices, solicitous signs, lasers, laser pointers, paddles, whips, floggers, brass knuckles, butterfly knives, concealed blades, throwing stars, tonfa, saps, clubs, nunchaku, sai, and metal or glass props.
Guns which are suitably realistic that they could be mistaken for a real gun, or which utilize parts of a real gun.
Any item may be added to this list at any time by FanimeCon.

and the entire policy here/
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Brutal

2012 Cosplays » Zoey | Scout's Mom | Caroline | Rebecca Chambers | Panty | Miku