FanimeCon 2011 Cosplay & Peace-Bonding Thread [Final]

Started by Aelia, June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

Runewitt

nothing that can look real. no moving parts. sorry, i messed up the link.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Brutal

What if it makes noise? I'm trying to find one for kids so it's not threatening but they make noise.
I'm having the hardest time trying to find something x.x
How about this

2012 Cosplays ยป Zoey | Scout's Mom | Caroline | Rebecca Chambers | Panty | Miku

Aelia

Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 08, 2011, 10:02:38 PM
Quote from: Aelia on April 08, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 08, 2011, 06:59:51 AM
Quote from: Aelia on April 05, 2011, 11:10:04 PM
Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 05, 2011, 10:57:18 PM
If I'm doing a Gijinka version of a teddy bear character, who carries a chainsaw, would I need to tell the Rovers that it's a gijinka?
So..... ..... a bear-suit and a chainsaw? To be honest, that doesn't sound like the sort of thing we can or should be peace-bonding. The reason being that our rule is that the prop must suit the costume. In this case, I can see no reason why a teddy bear needs to have a chain saw.

On that note, what materials would said chainsaw be made out of? I hope it's obvious that a real one could not be carried.

Well, it's not exactly a bear suit, it's a hoodie modified to look like the character. And the chainsaw is made of paper mache and foam
Alright. A paper mache and foam chainsaw is ok IF you can tell me why I should let a bear carry a chainsaw, and I buy it. Who is this bear? Why do they need a chainsaw? Is it a specific character, or what?

The biggest part of our props policy is that you have to be in a costume, and the prop has to suit it.

Whoops sorry to post the character in the first place ^^"
Hyde: http://img2.bleachexile.com/manga/hyde-and-closer/001/Hyde_001_52-53.png

As you can see, he's a bear that carries a chainsaw. But since I don't have enough money for a real teddy bear fursuit, I just went with the simple gijinka version

Well, the good news is that since it's a legitimate bear-with-chainsaw character, you've got the go-ahead, whether it's a fur-suit or gijinka version.
Director of Operations

Runewitt

Quote from: Brutal on April 09, 2011, 04:59:52 PM
What if it makes noise? I'm trying to find one for kids so it's not threatening but they make noise.
How about this
looks kinda real. good rule of thumb is if it can be mistaken for a real one from a distance, don't bring it. i'm not staff, so this is all just stuff i remember from previous years, but i don't think the policy has changed.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

EnmaRaeg

Quote from: Aelia on April 09, 2011, 05:29:36 PM
Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 08, 2011, 10:02:38 PM
Quote from: Aelia on April 08, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 08, 2011, 06:59:51 AM
Quote from: Aelia on April 05, 2011, 11:10:04 PM
Quote from: EnmaRaeg on April 05, 2011, 10:57:18 PM
If I'm doing a Gijinka version of a teddy bear character, who carries a chainsaw, would I need to tell the Rovers that it's a gijinka?
So..... ..... a bear-suit and a chainsaw? To be honest, that doesn't sound like the sort of thing we can or should be peace-bonding. The reason being that our rule is that the prop must suit the costume. In this case, I can see no reason why a teddy bear needs to have a chain saw.

On that note, what materials would said chainsaw be made out of? I hope it's obvious that a real one could not be carried.

Well, it's not exactly a bear suit, it's a hoodie modified to look like the character. And the chainsaw is made of paper mache and foam
Alright. A paper mache and foam chainsaw is ok IF you can tell me why I should let a bear carry a chainsaw, and I buy it. Who is this bear? Why do they need a chainsaw? Is it a specific character, or what?

The biggest part of our props policy is that you have to be in a costume, and the prop has to suit it.

Whoops sorry to post the character in the first place ^^"
Hyde: http://img2.bleachexile.com/manga/hyde-and-closer/001/Hyde_001_52-53.png

As you can see, he's a bear that carries a chainsaw. But since I don't have enough money for a real teddy bear fursuit, I just went with the simple gijinka version

Well, the good news is that since it's a legitimate bear-with-chainsaw character, you've got the go-ahead, whether it's a fur-suit or gijinka version.

Thanks, I'll look forward to Fanime ^^

Aelia

How about this
Think... more... toy-ish.

Runewitt's been giving you good answers so far, and BSaphire merged topics, so now you're in the peace-bonding and props-policy thread. Please check out the first post.

The thing about gun-props specifically is that we really need them to look as toy-ish as possible. Our minimum requirement is that they not be threatening, they not point at people, and they have an orange tip at the end.

I've seen people make "guns" which meet those requirements out of wood, foam, and plastic. I've seen purchased toy-guns-- typically NERF or water-guns-- which have been modified so that they do not "function", so they meet weapons policy.
Director of Operations

shy-cosplayer

Sooo.... at last summer's sacanime I had my flagpole taken away because it was a metal flag pole, and I was forced to carry my 3x5 flag in my pocket >.> are there any rules/limitations in regards to the type of flagpole one is allowed to bring?

Aelia

Quote from: shy-cosplayer on April 10, 2011, 11:15:34 AM
Sooo.... at last summer's sacanime I had my flagpole taken away because it was a metal flag pole, and I was forced to carry my 3x5 flag in my pocket >.> are there any rules/limitations in regards to the type of flagpole one is allowed to bring?
We actually just had a discussion about this. We prefer wood or plastic flagpoles. I don't *think* we'll be confiscating metal ones. Email me at -- RoversAelia {at} gmail tonight and I'll get you a 100% answer.
Director of Operations

Miradori

How about this
I am still just a rookie, but I don't think noise would be smart, as in if you make a noise that sounds like a gun in the middle of San Jose or in the middle of the con center, it could possibly start a panic and get you in trouble. I would really recommend Aelia's suggestion of molding a wooden or styrofoam gun, or modding a water gun and leaving a few parts obviously fake, including the tip. I would also recommend the handle, where your hand can cover it if you are posing, but when it is holstered, that it is very obviously neon/clear see through and FAKE. This gives you less trouble from various rovers, and will make fanime easier for everyone and happier overall.

If you have a prop that you want to show off that is very realistic, I would suggest doing a private photo shoot OFF grounds and preferably not in a public place, or joining the masquerade.

Miradori

Quote from: Aelia on April 03, 2011, 11:45:52 AM

Quote from: Rank on April 03, 2011, 03:29:51 AM
In 2009 I cosplayed a character with a baseball bat, but the bat was a home-made REPLICA bat. What I mean by that is, the dimensions are smaller than that of a factory baseball bat and it is not made out of Oak/Birch wood, it's made out of Balsa wood (the kind used for model air planes). It's very light and somewhat fragile and if dropped on a hard floor might actually snap.

here is an image of my prop: http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z105/psyrate/fanime2009/badgirlprogress6.jpg

It looks like it could be real, which obviously is the effect I wanted. But I was wondering, given the actual construction of my prop, is it allowed?
Going by our props policy, it is still a wooden bat, and the answer should be no.
I have a question about the bat thing, what if it is a wiffle ball bat or a bat made out of paper mache and then painted or treated to look like wood. would either of those work?

udonoodle

hello again!

is a wooden sword okay?
(made of wood, but looks like metal?)

Aelia

Quote from: Miradori on April 10, 2011, 01:31:28 PM
Quote from: Aelia on April 03, 2011, 11:45:52 AM

Quote from: Rank on April 03, 2011, 03:29:51 AM
In 2009 I cosplayed a character with a baseball bat, but the bat was a home-made REPLICA bat. What I mean by that is, the dimensions are smaller than that of a factory baseball bat and it is not made out of Oak/Birch wood, it's made out of Balsa wood (the kind used for model air planes). It's very light and somewhat fragile and if dropped on a hard floor might actually snap.

here is an image of my prop: http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z105/psyrate/fanime2009/badgirlprogress6.jpg

It looks like it could be real, which obviously is the effect I wanted. But I was wondering, given the actual construction of my prop, is it allowed?
Going by our props policy, it is still a wooden bat, and the answer should be no.
I have a question about the bat thing, what if it is a wiffle ball bat or a bat made out of paper mache and then painted or treated to look like wood. would either of those work?
Yes. Either/Both would be ok.

Quote from: udonoodle on April 10, 2011, 04:30:27 PM
is a wooden sword okay?
(made of wood, but looks like metal?)
Yes. Those are fine.
Director of Operations

Anicofe

Okay, I have just a couple quick questions.

1. What kind of flagpole am I allowed to use? Would metal be okay like shy-cosplayer asked?

2. My Spain cosplay has an ax for a prop, and I made mine out of wood with all the sharp edges dulled. Is this okay for me to bring?

Mint

I heard something about no free-hanging chains. Does this count? -- http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_leryoq2rl71qeqezm.png    (the chain coming off the collar).
2012 YO.
Friday: Yin (Darker than black)
Saturday: Alibaba (Magi); Sheryl (Macross Frontier); CC (Code Geass)
Sunday: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara); Peter Pan (Disney)
Monday: Panda Kigurumi

Chesid

I have a friend that's going to be cosplaying as Cody (as he appears in Super/Street Fighter IV). He's concerned about the chain - whether or not he'll be allowed to be chained (it only affects his arms), or even if he'll be allowed to have the chain at all.

Now, I've looked over the costume and weapon policy; I doubt the chain (since it only affects his arms, not his legs or the rest of his body) will restrict movement, so I don't think he'll need a handler. And the weapons policy doesn't mention chains (not that he'd be using these as a weapon; but they're handcuffs; while not free-flowing chains, I could see where it'd be  a concern).
Fanime '13:
(The Great and Powerful) Trixie - MLP:FiM
Ariel, "Kiss the Girl"/town dress - The Little Mermaid

Inai

I have a question, I'm making a gun out of insulation foam and pvc (or wood), do I still need to color the tip of the barrel orange or will I be ok since it's 90% foam?

Aelia

Quote from: Anicofe on April 11, 2011, 04:09:47 AM
Okay, I have just a couple quick questions.

1. What kind of flagpole am I allowed to use? Would metal be okay like shy-cosplayer asked?

2. My Spain cosplay has an ax for a prop, and I made mine out of wood with all the sharp edges dulled. Is this okay for me to bring?
We'd really prefer wood flagpoles. What I've said previously is "finished ends" which really means that if it must be metal, it should be lightweight aluminum with no sharp edges. However, wood or plastic is preferred by far.

I don't see an issue with that axe, no.
Quote from: Mint on April 12, 2011, 11:12:29 PM
I heard something about no free-hanging chains. Does this count? -- http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_leryoq2rl71qeqezm.png    (the chain coming off the collar).
As long as it's light-weight jewelery chain, it'll be ok in that instance. Be very careful about that though.

Quote from: Inai on April 19, 2011, 07:55:43 PM
I have a question, I'm making a gun out of insulation foam and pvc (or wood), do I still need to color the tip of the barrel orange or will I be ok since it's 90% foam?
Orange tip is required. No mater how fake looking.
Director of Operations

Inai

Quote from: Aelia on April 19, 2011, 09:32:29 PM

Thanks! I guess my next question is could I use orange tape instead of painting it?

Aelia

Quote from: Inai on April 20, 2011, 07:30:38 AM
Quote from: Aelia on April 19, 2011, 09:32:29 PM

Thanks! I guess my next question is could I use orange tape instead of painting it?
The rules say "non removable" orange tip. Tape is removable, and doesn't really follow the guidelines.
Director of Operations

Inai

Oh well, sorry about that. I must have missed it when going through the rules. Thanks for the quick replies, I really appreciate it.