FanimeCon 2011 Cosplay & Peace-Bonding Thread [Final]

Started by Aelia, June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

username_error

Question. What does 'shoe' mean? I mean if it just has a sole is it considered a shoe?
Example, if I get flat thong-sandal and cut off the thong part and some how attach it to my foot to make it look like I'm barefoot, would that count against the rules?
Cosplays for Fanime-
Izaya Orihara Durarara 95% Done
Suit Izaya Durarara 75% Done
Aoba Kuronuma Durarara 90% done

Aelia

Quote from: username_error on April 22, 2011, 08:36:24 PM
Question. What does 'shoe' mean? I mean if it just has a sole is it considered a shoe?
Example, if I get flat thong-sandal and cut off the thong part and some how attach it to my foot to make it look like I'm barefoot, would that count against the rules?
As long as it's a legit sole, then yeah, that'd be fine. Do expect to be stopped a couple times by our rovers though.

People have had a lot of success with thongs that they painted to match their feet. So you're wearing shoes which are obviously shoes while you're walking, but which are discreet in pictures.
Director of Operations

username_error

Oh thank you so much! I think I'll try attaching it to my foot first. Those kind of sandals are very uncomfortable. Thank you! <3
Cosplays for Fanime-

Tangosucka

I know this may sound like a noob question for me to ask, but is there a way to get a bb gun/rifle (with a unremovable orange tip, plastic, and no magazine inside) peacebonded?

I've read the rules of the weapons policy and understand them perfectly, but from my experience last year is that one of my friends couldn't get his gun peacebonded, even though it was plastic with an orange tip and the trigger was completely broken and my other friend got his peacebonded and the trigger of his gun was pulled back from the tag. I also have another friend who managed to get his bb machine gun peacebonded by glueing the barrel to show that there won't be any projectiles.

I'm planning to cosplay was Chris Redfield from Resident Evil 5 and I just want to make sure that if its ok to use a bb gun/rifle as a prop. If there are other ways to use a gun as a prop without making it too real or too tacky (styrofoam), I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Aelia

Quote from: Tangosucka on April 25, 2011, 03:50:44 AM
I know this may sound like a noob question for me to ask, but is there a way to get a bb gun/rifle (with a unremovable orange tip, plastic, and no magazine inside) peacebonded?

I've read the rules of the weapons policy and understand them perfectly, but from my experience last year is that one of my friends couldn't get his gun peacebonded, even though it was plastic with an orange tip and the trigger was completely broken and my other friend got his peacebonded and the trigger of his gun was pulled back from the tag. I also have another friend who managed to get his bb machine gun peacebonded by glueing the barrel to show that there won't be any projectiles.

I'm planning to cosplay was Chris Redfield from Resident Evil 5 and I just want to make sure that if its ok to use a bb gun/rifle as a prop. If there are other ways to use a gun as a prop without making it too real or too tacky (styrofoam), I'm all ears.

Thanks!

No, you cannot get a BB gun peace-bonded, and we have changed the way we did our training so that un-even-ness won't be happening this year.

I'm not sure what to suggest as an alternative.
Director of Operations

username_error

you can make a replica out of wood. Or shaping PVC pipes with a heat gun.
Cosplays for Fanime-

Tangosucka

Quote from: Aelia on April 25, 2011, 10:36:00 AM

Thanks!

No, you cannot get a BB gun peace-bonded, and we have changed the way we did our training so that un-even-ness won't be happening this year.

What if I take out all the springs inside, cover the barrel of the bb gun with glue, and take out the trigger-pretty much rendering it to the point that there cannot be any moving parts

Aelia

Quote from: Tangosucka on April 25, 2011, 10:42:27 PM
Quote from: Aelia on April 25, 2011, 10:36:00 AM

Thanks!

What if I take out all the springs inside, cover the barrel of the bb gun with glue, and take out the trigger-pretty much rendering it to the point that there cannot be any moving parts

Our rule is not just about functionality. It really is about the form as much as anything else.
Director of Operations

ClavigerBS

for Barret's Gunarm from Final Fantasy 7, does it need to have the orange tips on it?

Aelia

Quote from: ClavigerBS on April 27, 2011, 01:21:02 PM
for Barret's Gunarm from Final Fantasy 7, does it need to have the orange tips on it?

Depends on how realistic you get with the barrels. Do you have a picture?

Quick rule of thumb is: if it looks like a *real* gun barrel, and not just a pipe sticking out of a bucket, it's probably going to need an orange tip.

If it looks like a bucket with pvc pipes sticking out, it shouldn't be an issue.
Director of Operations

will [ishida]

I don't know if this has been asked yet, and if it has I humbly apologize for this post, but I seek an answer to a question involving LIGHTSABERS.

I'm planning on cosplaying Henry Cooldown from No More Heroes 2, seen here: http://j.mp/itvWsH (with a friend as Travis Touchdown) and I was wondering what the policy is on Force FX-brand Star Wars lightsabers. I was planning on using a Mace Windu purple one (seen here: http://j.mp/jWukej ) as Henry's beam katana, but last year I was refused a peace-bond on two different occasions. I'm inquiring about whether I'll still be refused one this year or if things have changed. Thanks for your time!

P.S. I fail at hyperlinking, oh well!
Dan Smith - killer7
"watashi" - The Tatami Galaxy
Woolf Enneacle - Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Raymond Vester - Resident Evil: Revelations
Shintaro Goto (Kamen Rider Birth) - Kamen Rider OOO
Takashi Dai (Banker) - Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto

Aelia

Quote from: will [ishida] on April 30, 2011, 02:32:55 AM
I don't know if this has been asked yet, and if it has I humbly apologize for this post, but I seek an answer to a question involving LIGHTSABERS.

I'm planning on cosplaying Henry Cooldown from No More Heroes 2, seen here: http://j.mp/itvWsH (with a friend as Travis Touchdown) and I was wondering what the policy is on Force FX-brand Star Wars lightsabers. I was planning on using a Mace Windu purple one (seen here: http://j.mp/jWukej ) as Henry's beam katana, but last year I was refused a peace-bond on two different occasions. I'm inquiring about whether I'll still be refused one this year or if things have changed. Thanks for your time!

P.S. I fail at hyperlinking, oh well!

What's it made of, exactly? Because if that's a glass tube with a metal handle, it won't be peacebonded this year, either.
Director of Operations

lady_tomoko

Just wanted to come to the forums to make sure it was ok(since it's a bit of a grey area; looked at the rules and didn't say too much about cosplay regulation).Cultist-Chan is a pretty scantily clad character, so just wondering if I would get in trouble with rovers XD. I know I have seen a couple of threads that deal with the decency issues when it comes to cosplay, since Fanime is a "family convention", so what do you guys think?

Here's a visual referance: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=cultist-chan#/d23l8tb

BSaphire

Quote from: lady_tomoko on May 01, 2011, 02:27:12 AM
Just wanted to come to the forums to make sure it was ok(since it's a bit of a grey area; looked at the rules and didn't say too much about cosplay regulation).Cultist-Chan is a pretty scantily clad character, so just wondering if I would get in trouble with rovers XD. I know I have seen a couple of threads that deal with the decency issues when it comes to cosplay, since Fanime is a "family convention", so what do you guys think?

Here's a visual referance: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=cultist-chan#/d23l8tb
I moved your topic here so that Aelia can look at your cosplay from a rovers point of view since if you were to wear it and anyone would have an issue with it it would be rovers.

Personally, from what I could see in the link to pics you provided I would not see any problem with it. A female cosplay should cover at least what a bikini would cover. This cosplay does more than that in the waist section so I don't see why you couldn't. Aelia will take a look and let you know though.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Aelia

Quote from: lady_tomoko on May 01, 2011, 02:27:12 AM

Generally with Rovers, what we're concerned about is that there's no indecent exposure-- which doesn't seem to be the case here-- and that there's no risk of "wardrobe malfunctions." So, provided what you make of the costume covers all your private areas, and doesn't pose any risk of being overly revealing (typically by using special glues/adhesives and/or pasties), I don't see an issue with it. -- basically, what I'm saying is be sure your boobs aren't falling out, and we're all good here.

(With the bottoms; we'd like nylons, but as long as it's full-coverage underwear or a bathing suit bottom, it should be ok.)
Director of Operations

lady_tomoko

@Aelia :Yes, everything will definately be taped up so here is no possibility of any wardrobe malfunctions ^-^

Thank you guys for your input, I guess I can go ahead and start making my cosplay :)

azreale

Does yoko. Littner's rifle need an orange tip? If made of pvc and card board?
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Aelia

Quote from: azreale on May 01, 2011, 09:03:35 PM
Does yoko. Littner's rifle need an orange tip? If made of pvc and card board?
Gonna say yes to this one, because even out of pvc and cardboard it's going to have a gun-like shape overall.
Director of Operations

microgamer2vs2

Hi, I'm concerned whether my chainsaw prop complies with FanimeCon peace-bonding rules or not.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/MghtyAxWlder/P1010627.jpg
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222191_1904517607175_1068803291_2226889_1651115_n.jpg

My main concern is that I used a drive chain from a bike while making the prop.

Here's the reference picture from the anime the coplay comes from.
http://wideface.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/ayumuref.jpg

If that's not acceptable, then I hope making another replica completely out of cardboard/paper would be acceptable.
(X'______') wideface the blog

Aelia

Quote from: microgamer2vs2 on May 02, 2011, 09:35:03 AM
Hi, I'm concerned whether my chainsaw prop complies with FanimeCon peace-bonding rules or not.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/MghtyAxWlder/P1010627.jpg
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222191_1904517607175_1068803291_2226889_1651115_n.jpg

My main concern is that I used a drive chain from a bike while making the prop.

Here's the reference picture from the anime the coplay comes from.
http://wideface.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/ayumuref.jpg

If that's not acceptable, then I hope making another replica completely out of cardboard/paper would be acceptable.

1) Does it work? (Not: is it a chainsaw, but does anything move?)

2) Aside from the chain, what's it made of?
Director of Operations