Stream or Download?

Started by otakuya, July 09, 2010, 02:24:42 PM

otakuya

To save up space in my laptop, desktop, and external hard drives, I recently put to data DVDs all of the anime I have and simply stream new episodes through sites like AnimeSeason and AnimeCrazy. I also use MangaFox and OneManga to read manga online.

Do you stream anime and other shows? If so, what sites do you use often? (not YouTube!)

If you download anime, I'm curious as to how many estimated GBs of anime you have stored, too.

TC X0 Lt 0X

I usually download my Anime for the higher quality. Though I don't keep any of it sense my Computer is 10 years old and only has a 40GB Harddrive, with only 1GB ever available. I usually download from AnimeTake and AnimeA.
Though also do to my computer being outdated, I can't watch MKV Format and am limited to MP4 and AVI, and when they are not available I MAY Stream, though this is mainly done for older series which I can't expect to find as easily or wait for a different format to be released. If so I stream from WatchAnimeOn.

I should be getting a new PC by the end of the month though so I should have nothing to worry about soon.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

rockmanpet

I use to Download alot and while of course makes it easy to have on hand, I've been jumping over to streaming just because that way I dont have to fill my hard drive, external and internal and something like Crunchyroll has a huge library and is free a week after the anime out so I can easily just click and watch. I call it my anime Hulu XD just with tons of good series

Barnes

I do a bit of both. Animetake for downloads and ANN for streaming are what I mainly use. If I can't find what I'm looking for at either, I do a Google search and go from there, blah blah blah.
Also, may I suggest a poll? Like one option for download (mostly), one for stream (mostly) and one for both. I'm just saying.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Yukari Kaiba

I stream - saves up so much more space on my computer. Actually used Anime Season to watch the first season Hakuouki recently (friend had recommended the site to me). Other than that I usually watch Funimation's Youtube channel since they also have complete titles up on their Youtube page.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

otakuya

Quote from: Barnes on September 10, 2010, 04:50:04 PM
Also, may I suggest a poll? Like one option for download (mostly), one for stream (mostly) and one for both. I'm just saying.
Can I create a poll after the thread's been made?
If not, mods, make a poll for me, plzthx!
Choices: Stream, Download, both Stream and Download, Buy/Borrow DVDs, Watch Broadcast TV

AngieDesu

143 GB so far, I just checked. I usually download it. It's a habit.

Poof-Aro

For the sake of space and my patience I stream. AnimeCrazy, AnimeFuel, and a bunch of other sites. I must have my back up sites for when links fail, Cruchyroll and YouTube being the absolutely last resort.
I have a few anime movies on my external harddrive (I wanna say 8-12gb) because I don't save too many and I generally buy the anime (if it's a fairly short series and complete) if I feel the need to have it available whenever I want to see it.
As for manga... I read scans online or borrow from friends. I'm sad to say that I don't read too many but I have about 16GB of Doujinshi that my friend just copied onto my External Harddrive so yeah.... I delete mangas though once I've read them (if I download) I like the free space and I don't ever go back to reread.
Fanime 2014 Cosplays:
Vaporeon
The Black and Silver Steampunk

My Cosplay Page

rockmanpet

its being a problem where companies are starting to sue streaming websites because Japan is pissed. Fansubs are by all means legal but since they see it as taking their work they want America to crack down in it.

I mean look what happened to a lady who in trouble for putting a 2 eps online and now she faces criminal charges, the govt wants to do similar things but luckily we are more protected.

Companies like Funimation, Viz, Aniplex realize fans want to see the fansubs so they start streaming their own subs the same day the anime is released so fansubbers can't touch it yet still do which causes problems.

Crunchyroll on the other hand buys out the licenses to show the series in america since most dont have a company that is interested and do it all via legal means since things will probably only get worse before they get better for us, since everything is available online, which leads people to complain about why x doesn't get an English release, why certain series never continue, why companies are shutting down its because more people pirate over support, now this isn't everyone but things need to change before they get worse.

c2chaos

I DL my animes, mostly because my PC isn't good enough to handle stream despite having cable internet. Even after DLing I might still have to convert and reduce video resolution to watch it later. Sometimes I'll stream an episode of something I haven't seen yet. I might buy series that I were or are interested in when they get liscensed in the US.

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

Sherbert

I always download because I'm a sucker for the newer anime shows in HD, like Eden of the East is amazing in 1080p! I have 209GB downloaded so far on my main computer at the moment, all higher quality if I can get it. And I have probably a good 50 GB+ more on an external somewhere. So like K-ON in 1080p, Black Lagoon, Gundam 00, Gurren Lagann, several anime movies, etc. And I get so attached to my shows I can't delete them. T.T Of course I have non-HD stuff too, but download all the way, my eye twitches if I watch anything streamed, has to be at least good DVD quality for me and streaming just hasn't reached that level for anime yet. I have a laptop with 2 500 GB drives in it, can't wait until TB drives are available commonly in the laptop form factor! :D

I was Snow Villiers from FFXIII accompanied by a Sazh Kastroy from the same game at Fanime 2011. If you have pictures of either of us send me a pm or email! Thanks!