Should expand Masquarade time limit

Started by miyakochiba, October 28, 2010, 03:22:55 PM

Asagilover

I think having an extension is perfectly fine, seriously if people want to stay longer they have the option to and if they don't they can just leave but I agree that the groups don't have a lot of time to create something.

eralston

Quote from: Asagilover on January 23, 2012, 10:25:56 PM
I think having an extension is perfectly fine, seriously if people want to stay longer they have the option to and if they don't they can just leave but I agree that the groups don't have a lot of time to create something.

You are assuming FanimeCon has the option of running longer in the venue.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

Enkai

Having been in a few masquerades (skits in 2008 and 2009; we planned a skit in 2010 that didn't actually get performed), the only increase I could *possibly* see would be going up to 3 minutes for large groups (like, 8 or more).  But 3 minutes max, and really 2:30 is fine.  We did struggle with the time decrease in 2009 (10 person skit that year, 12 the previous), but we still managed to pull it off.  The limit's reasonable.  Most any skit can be distilled down.  You'd be surprised at how long 2:30-3:00 is to the audience.

Keep in mind that in addition to the limits placed upon Fanime, there's also setup and take-down, as well as judging time.  While actual skit time may be "only" 5 hours, you'd probably need to add *at least* one more for downtime.  And if you were in 2009's masquerade, you'd know the setup and takedown time can be pretty insane.

M

Quote from: eralston on January 24, 2012, 11:31:28 AM
Quote from: Asagilover on January 23, 2012, 10:25:56 PM

You are assuming FanimeCon has the option of running longer in the venue.
This is correct. As it has been stated before, we just can't have the masquerade go longer without having to remove other programming options (the biggest reason would be budgeting).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

ewu

I elect removing registration...the con does not need that....its BORING! JK kids....load in and load out take a long time, and it gets ugly when you hit overtime and double time.....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Dany

Quote from: ewu on January 24, 2012, 09:34:38 PM
I elect removing registration...the con does not need that....its BORING! JK kids....load in and load out take a long time, and it gets ugly when you hit overtime and double time.....

I totally agree...on the time, not on the getting rid of reg XD. Every second counts, especially when the venue requires you to be OUT by a certain time...the longer you stay, the bigger the convention pays.

Something half-related, but not...the pre-masquerade show. While I think the shows have been pretty good, I must admit, they have seemed awfully -long- to me.. The first year I attended in 2010, I was a contestant, the second, I was just in the audience, and I felt the same way about both.  I remember seeing that the reason that the performances are scheduled for pre-show is because it means that you have a "captive audience" since many leave after the performances and do not wait for the awards.  But at the same time, you have people who show up in costume...some of those costumes being quite complex and hard to wear for long periods, and then they have to wait out the pre-show. Even if you're early in the running order, it's still strikes me as a challenge to sit through that.

I have two suggestions I'd like to throw out there for consideration:

1. Slightly shorten the pre-show. I am pretty sure it runs at least 45 minutes, but I could be wrong.

2. Split up the show between pre-show and halftime/judging. Say, 20 minutes pre-show and 20 minutes halftime, with maybe the AMV awards to stretch things out if the judges need time, or something that can easily be interrupted.

I am sure that I will be neenered for such a suggestion, but I figure it can't hurt to put it out there.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Charis

Quote from: Dany on January 25, 2012, 10:57:41 AMI am sure that I will be neenered for such a suggestion, but I figure it can't hurt to put it out there.

Not from this corner you won't!  I remember feeling the same way about the preshow both times I went to Masq.  You have a captive audience, but you also have an audience that's always seemed to me somewhat restless.  By the time things roll around to the later skits, it already seems like they're antsy, and when you tack on the preshow to that, it certainly doesn't help.

(Granted, this doesn't relate to extending skit time -- which I don't think is something that should be done -- but since the topic's already been brought up ... ;) )
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Dany

Quote from: Charis on January 27, 2012, 08:33:45 AM
Quote from: Dany on January 25, 2012, 10:57:41 AMI am sure that I will be neenered for such a suggestion, but I figure it can't hurt to put it out there.

Not from this corner you won't!  I remember feeling the same way about the preshow both times I went to Masq.  You have a captive audience, but you also have an audience that's always seemed to me somewhat restless.  By the time things roll around to the later skits, it already seems like they're antsy, and when you tack on the preshow to that, it certainly doesn't help.

(Granted, this doesn't relate to extending skit time -- which I don't think is something that should be done -- but since the topic's already been brought up ... ;) )

You know, if one -wanted- to connect the two, it's possible. Shorter preshow means more time for entries, significant time if the preshow was completely eliminated. It could also mean less chance of running overtime on the venue, which makes the contestants happy because they can go back to the hotel and change sooner, it makes the audience happer because they can get back for later evening programming, and may even make Fanime happy because there's a better chance they will not be rushing against the clock to load out of the theater in time, therefore reducing, or even eliminating, overtime/doubletime fees.

But I'm with you, Charis; it's bad enough that the audience has a short attention span (I always describe masquerade audiences, no matter the event, as a room full of kindergarteners with bags of candy), don't make that attention span worse by sticking a long, unrelated performance in front of them.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Ali

I'm all for cutting down the running time of the pre-show... last year was exceptionally difficult to sit through, in my opinion, and not just because of the costume I was wearing.

But even if the masquerade could round up another hour or two of running time, I don't think I'd want that applied to skit time limits. I do honestly understand feeling like you need more time, and while I definitely have seen skits that entertained me for 4 or 5 minutes, I don't think I've ever seen a skit that really NEEDED that extra time. Music and dialogue can be cut, and I want to say in a lot of cases, they shouldn't stop at 2:30. In watching the skits I've done that ran over 2 minutes, I kind of regret not cutting them down further.
Try rehearsing the skit in advance in front of other people, or showing them a script, and get some feedback on where the slow bits are. What felt repetitive/dull/extraneous? What were the important/exciting/funny parts?
You don't need to fill a time limit. You just need to get the gist across and try to be entertaining in the process, and you should definitely be able to do that in two and a half minutes.
Clothes make the man.
Naked people have little or no influence in society.