Fanime 2011 Karaoke question

Started by nerd-chan, November 11, 2010, 07:41:52 PM

Hank-KKD

So many questions!

Is it possible to choose a song, but turn it into a parody? (ie Take the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" theme but twist the lyrics to make it Anime related.)

We used to have a separate contest for this format, but no longer. You should not change the lyrics around- this is not a "filking" contest.

The first time I Karaoke'd at Fanime was last year, but you can bring your own music if you want?

Yes as long as it's in CD or mp3 format.

here's a rather unusual question: Are songs originally ripped from LP records allowed?

This question reminds me of the days when people actually brought their music on cassette tapes and MDs. But as long as it's in mp3 format and playable on a computer CD/DVD drive, it should be fine.

Will the contest rules be pretty much the same? My ideal song is a cover of a Western song (JiLL-Decoy's cover of Happy Ever After), and covers have not been allowed in the past, so before I plan on anything, I'd like to know if the rules will be the same. (Also, why are covers banned from the contest, out of sheer curiosity?)

The general format will remain the same, but we might open things up a bit as far as the performance itself goes. Rules should be available by mid-March. Covers will still not be allowed- we want this to remain an anime/j-pop/j-rock competition. So your proposed song would not be good. More detail below.

Are there ever situations where people who know the song too jump on stage and start singing?

This is cool during open mic, but not allowed during the contest.

I was wondering if a Japanese song by a Korean artist or group would be okay. For example TVXQ/DBSK, Boa, and many other Korean artists have performed several of their hits in Japanese, some of which were made for or used in animes. So would those kinds of songs be allowed?

Your example would be allowed. What would not be allowed is an English or other western song that was first popular outside of anime, and then used in an anime (such as Fly Me To the Moon). Or if for example, Utada Hikaru covered a Lady Gaga song at her next concert, you can't claim it's an Utada Hikaru song and sing it in the contest.

just as a random question: when do sign-ups happen again?

Signups will be in early May.

OpheliaCat8

I got a question.  If someone happened to record themselves playing an instrumental version of an anime song that did not previously have a karaoke version and then uploaded it on the internet for the world to hear(and gave permission), could we use that track in the contest?
Or if someone created a karaoke version of an anime song through sound mixing etc?
"I like to quote myself."

Cosplays for Fanime 2011
Fri  -  Kanae Kotonami, Skip Beat!
Sat -  Relm Arrowny, FFVI
Sun - Sailor Jupiter, SMStars

Hank-KKD

We're finalizing this year's rules right now, but we're probably going to be a little more open this year wrt to accompanying music.

So, not officially a "yes" yet, but "hopefully" !

Also, we are considering having the contest on Saturday night this year. If anyone has a strong opinion speak up now!

princesskitty18

when would the black and white ball be and some of the other major events? like the masquerade ball?
the only problem would be if these major things conflict
otherwise...its all good :)

will the rules for signups be posted anytime soon?
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

PyronIkari

Oh what I meant by covers, are covers that were turned into JP songs completely, not just them covering the English song, shoulda been clear about that.

Unless that rule was changed, because I don't think you guys have had an instance of this happen since AX 2001. But then again, I've missed the last 3 years of contests.

Hank-KKD

ETA for the rules is currently this weekend.

ETA for contest signups is still the first week of May.

We're considering Saturday because the Masquerade will be Sunday this year (usually our winner gets to perform in the Masq, so we have to be the day before). There will be some concerts Saturday, that's all I know regarding main events.

BTW we've posted some basic event info here, nothing terribly new for you karaoke veterans:

http://www.fanime.com/karaoke/

KusanagiShiro

Hmmmm, this is rather random, but would you be open to brief songs sung in Latin, such as some of the things FF is famous for?

Hank-KKD

Quote from: KusanagiShiro on March 29, 2011, 07:23:51 PM
Hmmmm, this is rather random, but would you be open to brief songs sung in Latin, such as some of the things FF is famous for?

If they're from FF that'd be fine.

yumicchi88

i prefer friday since 28th is SJSU graduation day! ><
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

Hank-KKD

Karaoke Contest Prospective Participants: Please vote in the poll.

KusanagiShiro

Quote from: GaleWolf on March 29, 2011, 08:27:06 PM
Quote from: KusanagiShiro on March 29, 2011, 07:23:51 PM

If they're from FF that'd be fine.

That's cool; I've been toying around with the idea of performing the Aria di Mezzo Carattere at Open Mic...given I've heard rumblings of a FFVI 3DS remake in the future.

Hank-KKD

Just a quick update on the rules- they should be out by Monday. We had to re-create the rules changes due to a computer glitch.

We're going to try and open it up a little bit more this year, to give you guys more creative latitude.