First fanime what to expect

Started by Antstep, November 15, 2010, 12:08:50 AM

Antstep

Hey all! So in may I'm going to fanime for my first time. I have some friends that have gone and are goin this year too. I'm planning to cosplay as a red spy from team fortress 2. I was wondering what to expect? Prices, wear stuff is sold, crowds all that. Also is it all just anime and manga or is there also video game and other stuff too?  ;D ::)

Runewitt

expect crowded elevators, crowded walkways, prices for things at a convention are always higher than in a store, so if there is something you are really looking for, do your research first. last year i dont remember seeing any games for sale outside of the swap-meet. there are a three giant rooms, the gaming hall, the artist alley, and the dealers room. there are also rooms for panels, video rooms, karaokee, etc.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

TC X0 Lt 0X

There are 3 main rooms:
Dealer's Hall
Artist Alley
Gaming Hall

You will likely be bying things in the Dealers Hall, however the Swap Meet (Thursdays and Fridays) take place in the Gaming Hall. You can also buy artwork/buttons/shirts/Similar in Artist Alley from the Artists.
Prices in the Dealers hall can be pretty expensive, and in many cases you can find a better deal online or potentially at your local store (assuming you have one in the area). The one exception I can think of however is Manga. A few of the vendors have deals on Manga when you but in bulk. You can buy Japanese snacks and candy (Pocky, Hi-Chews, Ramune, etc) for decent prices as well. On Monday in the last few hours some vendors lower there prices to get products off the table. Though rare or items in demand that have limited quantities will be expected to be sold out by then. The best bang for your buck will be at the Swap Meet. Things either sell really cheap, or potentially too expensive in here. Some overprice there items way too high. But for the most part you can find a good amount of stuff in here for cheap, particularly Manga, Games, and miscellaneous things.
There is more then just Anime. Video Games, SCi-Fi, Comics, and other common nerd stuff can be seen. You will find a lot of the panels have nothing at all to do with Anime. While it is centered towards Otakus, any nerd can have fun at Fanime. I have met multiple people who go despite not even liking Anime at all.
The crowds can be hectic at times and places. Particularly the narrow ends of the walkways, the Dealers Hall, and Hotel Elevators. And don't even mention Mondays (lets just say I decided to use the stairs that day). Though besides that it won't be too crowded. You probably will be able to get into most events past the really popular ones with limited space.

Anymore Questions?

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Antstep

Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it. ;D

jackiemarie90

Expect pedo bears and other internet memes
there will be protesters
Awesome music fest
The attendees are generally great nice people
An awesome 24 hour gaming room
If you have good cosplay there will be people wanting to take your picture
There will also be a dance and ball as well
You haven't idealized mankind, you have deformed it, and that's the real practical joke.

Antstep

Sound really funn!! What kinda stuff do they have in the gaming room? I <3 pedobear

TC X0 Lt 0X

They have Arcade setups, a console center with about 15-20(?) Systems set up with popular games. There will be PC Gaming (Probably) with a few systems up as well. And there are several large tables for Table Top Games (Boardgames, TCGs, Warhammer, D&D, etc, etc).

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Antstep

ooo so i should bring some MTG decks? ;D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Yes you should be able to find plenty of players.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Andy

Yeah bring all types of card. If this is your first Fanime you probably won't be sitting down and playing games to be honest, more like walking around and mingling with people. Be sure to have a nice sum of money prior to fanime, the urge to buy things will arise.
Pro, as in: Accomplished, educated, perservering, passionate, precise, great, heroic, better than the rest, pokemon master. Jank, as in: weak, undernourished, failure, disgrace, uneducated, smellys like fish.

Jerry

the only thing you should "expect" is you should Expect to have a great~Epic time.

Otherwise you're doing it wrong.  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Knightfire

Starting work for Fanime 2011

lummy

Expect Loud noises, loud people, some over annoying fan girls/boys, some nice people, and some (pardon my french) douche bags.

Generally its a great experience, I've been doing it since 2002 on and off, and the only people I thought was annoying and didn't like were people who went to my high school. I even see my high school bio teacher there sometimes taking the Anime Club.
But its best enjoyed with friends.   
nothing elaborate, pretty anti-social
Been doing Fanime since 2002
has a Tonberry Cosplay... from 06. :D

Rin_chan

last year was my first time there and the number one thing i learned is to ALWAYS wear comfy shoes and keep a water bottle with you, all that body heat in one building will get to you eventually.

but yeah, as long as your nice to other people they'll generally be nice to you (of course there's always buttheads trying to ruin the fun for everyone, i just ignore them and go on my happy way)

also i agree with crowded elevators. i stayed at the marriott(top floor unfortunately ><) and it took at least 10 minutes just to get in an elevator(also be prepared for your group possibly being split between elevators, it was faster for us to take separate ones then wait till all 7 of us could fit in one) and it would take another 5-10 to get to our floor. so if your on a timed schedule like my friend who was in the maid cafe, give yourself plenty of time to get there.

as long as you go in with a positive attitude and don't let little annoyances get to you, you'll have a great weekend for sure.  

(and please, be kind to others WEAR DEODORANT, elevators full of smelly people are not fun XD)

TofuHopper

I don't remember if I seen a purikura machine in the gaming room, is there one there usually? And if so anyone know the price it's usually is there?

Also... yeah, I agree with the comfy shoes! I wore the most uncomfortable lolita shoes last year =_= And had to walk back and forth from the De Anza in pain hahaha it was so fun though! Love every moment of Fanime<3

ispyangie

Last year, the purikura machine was in the Artist Alley, right near the left entrance. The pikapika store brings in their machines. I don't remember if they raise the price for fanime, but the usual prices vary from $9-$12 for a sheet. I believe I purchased mine for $9 last year.
Tweet @ispyangie

TofuHopper

Ohh very nice, thank you for the reply :)

Rin_chan

Also expect to want to buy everything your eyes land on in the Dealers Hall. I had that problem >.<

My friend spent all his money on a huge sword the first day(he regretted it later) I prefer to buy a few smaller items. Figures, wall scrolls, I feel like my money goes further then buying one or two big expensive things.

Glitch

Be cool to people and join in the madness.

fanime_lo-ve

Expect to be with ppl who love the same things with you, but also expect some of those ppl to be meshed together in a super crowed area all in one time and space. :}
(>*0*)>Cosplays for 2010:<(*3*<)
{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus
{Naruto Shippuuden}-7th Tailed (Shichibi)
{Bleach}- (Pendulum Arc) Yoruichi
{Teen Titans}- Bumble Bee
{Left for Dead 2}- Rochelle