Best Places to buy food in and outside the con

Started by pokephirawriter, November 17, 2010, 03:20:40 PM

FanFicGuru

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 09, 2011, 11:22:10 AM
Quote from: garfieldelric on April 08, 2011, 11:03:56 AM
You know, if only In-N-Out were near the con site..... those burgers are so damn good! :D

This is the part where I disagree.
Their burgers are extremely plain and lack any distinct flavor.
From there, their fries can only be described as brittle pieces of chalk.
They lack a legitimate menu of any kind beyond Burger A, B, C, to Z which is hidden requiring the customer to actually have to research the food to get a specific crappy burger. That and regardless they are all variations off the same cheese burgers with very few changes between them beyond the amount of meet cheese and sauce on them.
And finally they have worse service then any other fast food restaurant out their, willing to hire even the most under trained individual and throw him anywhere in the building to work without supervision.

Did I ever mention I got a raw hamburger from them? The sad part is that as much of a problem that was, it only just barely pulls ahead of the rest of the pack with my experiences of bad customer service at In and Out in general.
Still does not beat the price tags stamped to my Burrito and Soft Taco from that one Taco Bell though...

Seconded. I never understood the In-N-Out cult. The only thing that's decent is their shakes. If I'm gonna splurge on a burger I'm going to Johnny Rockets. Mmmm
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

otakuya

Five Guys at the Plant shopping center on Curtner Ave. Way better than In-N-Out IMO. (A-1 sauce and bacon!!!)

Glitch

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 09, 2011, 11:22:10 AM
Quote from: garfieldelric on April 08, 2011, 11:03:56 AM
You know, if only In-N-Out were near the con site..... those burgers are so damn good! :D

This is the part where I disagree.
Their burgers are extremely plain and lack any distinct flavor.
From there, their fries can only be described as brittle pieces of chalk.
They lack a legitimate menu of any kind beyond Burger A, B, C, to Z which is hidden requiring the customer to actually have to research the food to get a specific crappy burger. That and regardless they are all variations off the same cheese burgers with very few changes between them beyond the amount of meet cheese and sauce on them.
And finally they have worse service then any other fast food restaurant out their, willing to hire even the most under trained individual and throw him anywhere in the building to work without supervision.

Did I ever mention I got a raw hamburger from them? The sad part is that as much of a problem that was, it only just barely pulls ahead of the rest of the pack with my experiences of bad customer service at In and Out in general.
Still does not beat the price tags stamped to my Burrito and Soft Taco from that one Taco Bell though...
0_0

Although while were on the subject of complaining, I'll say you should also avoid Peggy Sue's. The pretty average burgers are ok but definitely way too overpriced. You wind up paying 10 bucks for something that's like 5 or 6 bucks at most fast food places. Not worth it.

GoodAsianDriver

Quote from: Otakuya on April 08, 2011, 05:15:40 PM
The nearest In-N-Out from the CC is the one on Coleman Ave next to the airport and Lowe's. It just opened last year, I believe

I like to sit next to the window at this one and watch the airplanes take-off and land. :D
--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati

zeroelement

There is a train outside of the con that you can follow (north) or ride for $2 for 2 hours to a Johny rockets togo's quikke (that sweet tea drink) sushi place and few other food places. A street before that is a pizza my heart bens and jerrys (icecream) and jack in the box and McDonalds. between first and 2nd stop on the train is a PF changs (chinese bistro family style) subway and other food locations including a SafeWay which is a food store. A few more stops and you get to san jose's japan town with Japanese themed food.

The location is near my college so there are TONS of food locations around it. Look up food around San jose state University for good food within walking distance.

Street view map labels food near by zoom in to even get a street veiw

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=vei&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=iguanas+san+jose&fb=1&gl=us&hq=iguanas&hnear=San+Jose,+CA&cid=0,0,13687263215021969888&ei=7g2tTZGCK5G6sAPB04jPCQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQnwIwAA
Cosplayer of Host club (nekozawa) and Soul Eater (Free)
Looking for local cosplay groups and new friends.

SukebeStudios

I actually work around this area as a pizza delivery guy for Pizza Hut. If you're looking for the Pizza Hut that delivers to the Fanime hotels, you want the one on 52 Keyes St. Not plugging the store, just saying, if you're looking in the phone book for the PizzaHut that delivers to the Marriot or Hilton for example, that's the one. Also, if you're driving by car and have a SMALL budget, there is a Wienerschnitzel nearby. Just go south on Market St untill it turns into 1st St. It will be on your right hand side. Btw, it's only a coincidence that it's near the Pizza Hut, lol. 79 cent corndogs, and if it's a Sunday, 89 cent chili dogs. Good idea if you need a reason for someone NOT to share a bed with you that Sunday night...if you catch my drift.

hikanteki

Hydration Cafe & La Vic's Taqueria...both near 4th & San Carlos & both of these are open waaaay late.  @ La Vic's, if you get the super nachos w/ meat to go then they give you a HUGE portion.  Hydration Cafe has Taiwanese-style lunch boxes & lots of good milk teas.  They keep the artificial stuff to a minimum, too (i.e. their taro smoothie is made with real taro)

There's a few good Vietnamese restaurants around the area...Dalat @ 10th & William, all purpose, though they close early (like 7:30), & Dakao, mostly banh mi, @ 3rd & San Salvador.

There's Japantown...it's about a half hour walk but quicker on the light rail.  I agree with the comments that most restaurants in Japantown have conservative hours...e.g. only open for normal lunch & dinner hours.  They're also pretty small, so they might get crowded.

Mango Bunny

Again for Groupon.... Today there's a deal for PJ's Deli/Cafe, which seems to be right around the corner. I can't say I've been there, but 8 dollars for 16 dollars worth of sandwiches sounds good to me. I'll probably pick some up and keep them in the room.

Moonblossom

Aside from Groupon, there's a coupon place called TownHog that's had some good deals lately, but for slightly fancier stuff generally. I got two 50$ coupons for 25$ each for Scott's Seafood. I have a sick weakness for fresh raw oysters on the half shell, so I am gonna indulge XD

They also had a deal a while back for movie tickets, I'm hoping they have another one soon.

Persona

Raw oysters are delicious. I had my first (good) oysters a few weeks ago and now I'm addicted =D I hear the seafood place on Race is good and cheap if you have the resources to make it out there =)

My picks:

Chicago Pizza
Pizza My Heart
Iguana's (for the fries, which are a guilty pleasure)
Hydration
Quickly's (2 for 1 pearl teas)
Pita Pit
Sonoma Chicken Coop

If you can afford it:

Scott's
Morton's (but if you're spending that money, get yourself to Alexander's)
Il Fornaio
Gordon Biersch

Psycho Donuts is... okay, sometimes their filling is inconsistent/scant but their flavors are decent. They sometimes have the Econ 101 donut which is great for groups ;)

Moonblossom

I ate at Gordon (typed Gorgon there wtf) Biersch's last time I was down there and it was very tasty. I don't remember it being too expensive either, it was under $100 for three of us, two of whom are.. quite fond trying new beer, to say the least XD I'm pretty sure the booze was responsible for the bulk of our bill.

Rin_chan

Quote from: Moonblossom on May 02, 2011, 04:29:19 PM
I ate at Gordon (typed Gorgon there wtf) Biersch's last time I was down there and it was very tasty. I don't remember it being too expensive either, it was under $100 for three of us, two of whom are.. quite fond trying new beer, to say the least XD I'm pretty sure the booze was responsible for the bulk of our bill.
Isn't booze always expensive in those places? XD

I went to BJ's last week in my town of Modesto and my friends drink was as much as his meal.

Persona

Quote from: Moonblossom on May 02, 2011, 04:29:19 PM

It's pretty reasonable, but I was considering smaller food budgets -- I work FT so it's in the a-okay range for me XD most of the restaurants along there (San Fernando, I think) are around the same range as well.

Moonblossom

Yeah, it's not the sort of place I'd recommend grabbing a quick lunch every day at, but even for people on a tight budget it would be a good place to have one nicer dinner.

Persona

I agree.

Speaking of watering holes, if you're in a group, take advantage of happy hour specials! They're obviously still not going to be as cheap as fast food, but usually you can get a good salad and/or some yummy eats for a decent price (around $5 a plate).

Hatch Guy

Flames Eatery on S. 4th St. was pretty good when I went couple years ago.
http://flameseatery.com/

RowanRavensong

PIZZA MY HEART! OMG! Best Pizza around in my opinion
The address is;
117 East San Carlos Street San Jose, CA 95112

SuperSheba

Quickly is good if you want Boba or spicy pepper chicken.  It's near Tengu Sushi, between third and fourth street (on the fourth street side).  It's a bout half a block up from the library and across the street.

RowanRavensong

Quote from: SuperSheba on May 07, 2011, 11:56:02 AM
Quickly is good if you want Boba or spicy pepper chicken.  It's near Tengu Sushi, between third and fourth street (on the fourth street side).  It's a bout half a block up from the library and across the street.
I didnt know there was a Sushi restaurant around (I knew about the one inside the COn... But... how is this place?

Persona

Oops, forgot to mention Amici's -- really good NY style pizza. It's a little more of a walk from the Convention Center than Pizza My Heart, but it's soooo much better.