Best Places to buy food in and outside the con

Started by pokephirawriter, November 17, 2010, 03:20:40 PM

billgoku

I work at the Red Robin that's maybe 10-15 away from the convention center. Prices are well worth it and the food is pretty good, not just saying this because I work there, just for the simple fact I hate yet love it. Plus, if you happen to go with me or are in my group, discounts are involved. :D
Fanime 10 2 weeks away...
Member of Bleach Gathering 2009
Cosplays plans in 10: Ichigo , few possibles...
: Onizuka (GTO) (Yes, this year I will do him no matter what.)

Moonblossom

Proof that advertising works. I totally heard the "yummmmm!" in my head when I read your post XD

billgoku

Yeah, with the new "radio" station that plays music in the resturant...I can't go 10 mins while serving my tables or training without hearing that.
Fanime 10 2 weeks away...
Member of Bleach Gathering 2009
Cosplays plans in 10: Ichigo , few possibles...
: Onizuka (GTO) (Yes, this year I will do him no matter what.)

redroses3164

There's a Red Robin nearish the con? Bloody I must go at least once.

Unlimited fries yeeeeeeees (your advertising has worked damn you hah)

eHash

I'd suggest bringing a cooler with cold cuts for the first day or two...
bread, pb&j...<---you will always have decent food i
there's a safeway in downtown, or if you go out on coleman, there is a strip mall with a target, supermarket, el pollo loco, few other fast food places.

you can always take the bus or vta to j-town where there are small japanese eateries (i'd suggest the manju) and the wannabe and pricey hawaiian place: hukilau.

if you're staying in the hotel, bring your own water and drinks...the hotels are a rip off (aren't they always?) i went to a staff meeting a few months ago and bought a $7 rockstar <- didn't realize i was getting ripped off till i already got rang up.

there's lots of places nearby.. iguanas (which is open late) denny's (down the street), lots of subways, jack in the box, johnny rockets, a hot dog stand in the parking lot behind studio 8 (nightclub) at santa clara and 2nd., old spaghetti factory (bleh)...

but if you are an out of towner and are looking for some interesting eateries in the area:
gochi (cupertino)
ramen place inside mitsuwa (saratoga ave. in san jose)
pepper lunch in milpitas
abc (for dim sum) in milpitas I'd skip the dynasty seafood 2 plazas down
palace bbq buffet (sunnyvale)
sweet breams for taiyaki (san mateo)
Himawari-Tel or Santa Ramen for Ramen (san mateo)
Ajisen Ramen (fremont) much better than in sf galleria
Old Town Sushi (Newark)
Izakaya Mai for izikaya in san mateo

otakuya

^ great info! :)

I'd like to add that nutrition may be underrated at the con. Weirdly, you'd have to think like it's gonna be a marathon: drink lots of fluids (water, Gatorade) and non sugary energy snacks (trail mix). Of course, its an anime con, meaning tons of Mountain Dew, Pocky, and candy. But if you stick to a healthier con diet (lol), you may get to enjoy the con more instead of having caffiene, sugar, or fat withdrawls.

*eats a Big Mac*

mdarkpoet

ORIGINAL JOE'S! - pricey on certain items but SAVE UP FOR IT the food is amazing, my fiance and I go every Fanime year to Original Joe's to enjoy a nice dinner. But be warned, call ahead or go early because it takes time to get a seat (everyone wants to go because of how fantastic the food is).... oh and the waiters are amazing. Last year we were going to swipe some butter packets for our bread and the waiter came by and is all "Oh just take them, in fact let me get you more haha" we're all "Zomg thank you!" XD lolololol!

McDonald's - down the street from Original Joe's, a bit of a walk but hey, it's quick and easy and it's McDonalds (dollah menu ftw)

There are a couple other little places around downtown San Jose but I don't have much experience with them. I usually ALWAYS bring my own food (last year my friend brought a rice cooker lol), and if I want to get something to munch it's Joe's or McDonald's.

Moonblossom

BigDaddy

If you have a car (about a 8-10 minute drive), try Boiling Crab. This is easily the best seafood you can get in the bay area. It normally takes 2 1/2 hours to get a table, but I've been there in the afternoon and got seated within 15 minutes. There are 3 different kinds of sauces you can get but I suggest "The Whole Shabang" which mixes all three together. The shrimp is soooooooooooooooooo good!

Tip: Last year, we had a friend go by Boiling Crab to put our name in a few hours before we planned on going. By the time we were hungry, we drove over there and got seated shortly afterwards. Trust me, its worth the planning.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me"
-Michael Scott

Rhornez

anyone know if theres a nearby place that sells Bahn Mi Sandwhiches?

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Kaycea

Quote from: Otakuya on May 10, 2011, 01:25:15 AM
^ great info! :)

I'd like to add that nutrition may be underrated at the con. Weirdly, you'd have to think like it's gonna be a marathon: drink lots of fluids (water, Gatorade) and non sugary energy snacks (trail mix). Of course, its an anime con, meaning tons of Mountain Dew, Pocky, and candy. But if you stick to a healthier con diet (lol), you may get to enjoy the con more instead of having caffiene, sugar, or fat withdrawls.

*eats a Big Mac*

Not having a good nutrition balance is a mistake I made a few years back. I had to go a nite without having a hotel because I was broke(and my "friend" was a jerk..). I danced for munny offerings which got me a what I thought was a decent amount. But I only had enough munny to buy a pretzel(saltiest one of my lifeT_T). So I was dehydrated from dancing for cash/and even more so from the pretzel. Later in the nite I felt the worst feeling of sleepiness/exhaustion/fatigue and I just so happened to be walking by the Starbucks. Long story short I told my sad sad tale to the manager and he had the bright idea to give me an "experimental" espresso. He told me he had never given anyone a drink that powerful before, and with the common sense I had at the age I thought "oh great this should help me!"...Worst mistake ever..It tasted like liquid death(even AFTER drowning it in Milk/sugar) and after a short while I went into a hell like zombie state. And I bordered on the line of consciousness for the rest of the nite. I don't remember much after that...I think I talked to a bum..*sigh*

Basically let that story be a lesson for those of you with bad diets that don't have a room to go back too, to crash>,>.
My daily mantra is L.I.F.E.= Losing.Is.Failing.Excellently.
So it's not that I didn't win...I just choose not to succeed.
Cosplays I've done:
Everyday of my life-Me
Fanime 08'-Dosu Kinuta
Fanime 11'-Kuro Shinobi no Mono
Sacanime 11'-(Same)+Kuroneko

eHash

i like crawdaddy better than boiling crab.

for viet sandwiches there's the numerous lee's and a few others, you can yelp vietnamese sandwiches in san jose.
(also look up vietnamese mall, san jose)

xichisex

I have to say for cheap FanimeCon food I ALWAYS go to Safeway in my town or a CVS or Dollar Store and I buy a bunch of stuff. Like sandwiches, chips, waters.. Etc. And then when I get to a hotel - or rather when other people get hotels because I have another house I stay at that's 30 minutes away in Menlo Park - I just throw it all in the fridge and then when I go to the convention I pack that stuff as lunch and dinner. BUT YOU SHOULD DO IT IN YOUR HOMETOWN! I have seen it where convention goers totally clean out stores that sell cheap food around the convention areas and going out to eat isn't always that cheap. Especially if you are at the convention on a budget.

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

Rhornez

^ gotta get sandwhiches this time around last year had chips juice and poptarts in our food reserves at the room

otakuya

^ nearest Vietnamese sandwich shop is Dakao on San Salvador St. 3 blocks from conv center. With Pho too

freewayangel092

I just want to say thank you to everyone who knows the area and has giving alot of great food choices.....going to make a list and try new places this year!!!  THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

Narzake

I live in San Jose and I believe that one of the best restaurants u can find is probably Henry's Hi-life. the baby back ribs there are AMAZINGGG. ribs cost $17 which includes a potato with some kind of cream/cheese which also tastes awesome. if you wanna know where it is, its right behind HP Pavilion and you should also check their website, http://henryshilife.com/.

Since im vietnamese, i know my Pho (delicious viet noodles)... Probably the best Pho restaurant in downtown is Dac Phuc. Most of the meals would cost you around $5-$8

If you need quick food thats pretty close to fanime, theres mcdonalds, iguanas, some kinda cheesesteak place, jack n the box, and other restuarants of that area. you'll see alot of people walk towards and away from there. Just go east on san carlos street and ull be right there.

Rhornez

N.E.R.V.agent220

All right everyone with Fanime only 7 days away. I need to know which of you attendees will be dining at one of my top places to eat.
This year is going to be awesome so hopefully you guys will drop on by and order an awesome brick oven pizza. 

SukebeStudios

Honestly, I've had Amici's pizza after hearing so much about it on the radio. Amici's is good, but HIGHLY...HIGHLY overrated for the price. Not just because I work at Pizza Hut, because I like our "rival" Dominoes Pizza better. Besides, you can get more pizza from Pizza Hut with the deals we got currently...although the best one won't work with delivery. But that's my own opinion.