A fanime Iphone/Android app?

Started by Piccahoe, November 30, 2010, 10:55:40 PM

Piccahoe

I'm a programmer and I was thinking of making a fanime iphone/android app. In this app would be information about the con, a map with GPS, a game (in which you have to visit panels or get as many people with iphone/android), and other things. I'm open to suggestions. I'm still not sure if I do want to do it or if it's a good idea or not. What do you guys think?

(please leave the whole iphone vs android argument else where!! I think both phones are great)
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

Avairrianna

I'd use the android app for sure! Especially since I refuse to use facebook and twitter and lose out on a lot of information because of that.

I totally support the idea!!!!!!! ^^
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Somebody

Sounds like a lot of work, but I'd use the iPhone app if it existed.  :P
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Piccahoe

I heard from a friend of mine that a iPhone app is already in the making. I haven't heard anything for the android. I admit that I am more experience with the iPhone since I have an iPhone but I think can do a fanime app for the android if there isn't one. I just need a victim....I mean a tester.

-Albert Einstein

Nina Star 9

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13937.0.html

Quote from: MPLe on April 27, 2010, 12:42:46 AM
I'll take the time to put an actual reply instead of my boss and former minion up there. >:P

There is definitely plans to come up with a mobile version of our schedule. However, I'm not sure if it'll just be our schedule or possibly the entire fanime.com heirarchy.

NOTE: This is still in the planning stages and might not surface until after FanimeCon 2010. :)

Not sure what has happened since that thread, though...

ewu

http://m.fanime.com/ happened. a mobile version of our schedule that was updated live for any updates and changes.

However that does not foreclose an app.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Piccahoe

I guess I'm a year late...

It seems like the mobile site is good enough, I guess.

-Albert Einstein

ewu

I'm sure you can build on that. Fanime puts out twitter posts whenever things are changed. Maybe some compliation of those notices as well as a compilation of tweets and locations. Social networking @ fanime:)

stuff like that. There is much room to grow!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Nina Star 9

Quote from: ewu on December 07, 2010, 12:15:10 AM
http://m.fanime.com/ happened. a mobile version of our schedule that was updated live for any updates and changes.

However that does not foreclose an app.
Ah, okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't really know the difference, so...

OGIGA

Hmm, a mobile site sounds good because it'd be compatible with everything. But I don't think you can do anything GPS related. =/

Piccahoe

I guess I'll start with the "easy" stuff like the twitter updates. I am looking into it for both the Android and iPhone.

-Albert Einstein

Piccahoe

I did a test on both the android and iPhone and I can get update from fanimecon's twitter. I am also going to add a SQLite data with all the scheduling from the pocket guide (I'm gonna use last's year data as an example). You will be able to search for anything in this schedule. What else would you like to see? I'll try to draw out the app's design and I will try to make the app non phone biast, although I don't have an android to test it on. I will also download comiccon's app and see what they did with theirs. If you have any question or suggestion, feel free to ask. Thank you!

-Albert Einstein

ewu

i donno how complicated it would be, but using tweets or some other method, do a social networking things. AKA, 3 other users at this event now. and other fun games:P
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Piccahoe

hmm....like umm an irc chat room in the app?

-Albert Einstein

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Avairrianna

If you want an android tester do you actually have to have the phone in hand? Cause I'd volunteer but I probably live far away from you...
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Jerry

ironically - the Rovers are working on a real time -- basic internet phone friendly app (website technically) [specifically for rovers]

- so the rovers can get updates on where rovers are needed [for example: long lines, wait times @ reg line etc and prep work for large events like Music fest, Masquerade, etc] and then even page specific rovers [like veterans and leads/head] to rendezvous at specific meeting places.

Its almost having like a superhero watch! :D

maybe someday we'll develop something like that for the fans...
but for now, you really should just keep an eye on the Twitter feeds since thats the next bext thing!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Piccahoe

a rover app sounds cool, it would prob help the rover be more organize? The rovers seems to be doing well.

I'm not sure how to install an android app but I can find a way to upload it and let you test it!

I downloaded animeexpo's app and it's ok. I really that if you pick an event from the exhibit, it will put a mark on the room it's in and the nearby tells you how many miles a store is.  It cost 1.99 tho.

So far for the app I have:

Twitter update
Schedule *with search* + alarm clock??
IRC chat
Map
Nearby food/stores
games of some sort.

I think I'll include maybe easter eggs....

-Albert Einstein

Jerry

Quote from: Piccahoe on December 13, 2010, 05:47:17 PM
I think I'll include maybe easter eggs....

just a reminder... Fani Eggs are REAL :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

c2chaos

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.