A fanime Iphone/Android app?

Started by Piccahoe, November 30, 2010, 10:55:40 PM

sysadmin

Okay, official words now.
There are other teams who have created internal websites for their use; I'm only focusing on the public sites/applications.

Last year was the first launch of the mobile schedule site, http://m.fanime.com/
There were three angles: the schedule itself, the ability for Info Desk to update the schedule with last minute changes, and an RSS feed to list those changes.  There was some basic search in there as well.
There was a separate bridge between RSS to the official twitter account.
That was the 2010 version, and I think it did reasonably well.

There is a very long list of updates scheduled for the 2011 version of the mobile schedule site.  One of the key things is that a basic mobile schedule site is platform-neutral.  It is still designed to work on nearly any smartphone with a web browser.

Separately, there are plans for an official iPhone schedule app.  I can't publicly commit to a list of features, though.
I have not given a lot of weight to the Android platform, but who knows how that will change around March/April/May.

As for an overall feature list, I have reviewed a few different convention/conference/trade show applications.  There are a lot of great ideas for features, but some ideas are better than others.

I think that's as much official news as I can give right now.

Best,
sysadmin

Piccahoe

I guess I'm off the hook! *runs*

Are you guys going to hire somebody to design and program this app or is somebody from the staff going to do it?
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

sysadmin

The plan is that the schedule apps are developed in house.

But you're not off the hook yet. ;)

The schedule applications are only focused on the schedule and its updates and some integration with the main site.

A lot of the discussion in this thread was about the social networking features.  These would include things like an IRC chat, something like a four-square check-in, maybe something like a "stamp rally" etc.

While I'm concerned about "fans who walk around the con with their eyes focused on their phone instead of looking around and enjoying stuff", I'm willing to sanction some type of social app.

I'm not sure if this is a direction you were thinking about, but it is an option.

Piccahoe

hmm,  I think the chat would be good to contact the con ops or the lost and found rather than calling and also good for those who are in the artist area selling their art work but besides that, I think people will be paying attention to whats happening around them....I HOPE. I don't mind if we have a chat or not.
Anyways, I am working on one of both designs for both handy device system. I'm going to do the basic features first and then add on some extra stuff. It will be an interesting project to work with both devices and I hope to make it free for everyone!

-Albert Einstein

HunterZero

I'm wondering if the iPhone app will use push notifications to allow you to get updates.

I also wonder if it'll have a built in scheduling calendar.

I wonder...
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Piccahoe

if I had a server, I could prob try for push notification.

-Albert Einstein

Piccahoe

Here kind of a preview of what I'm working on. It's nothing much to be excite about. Everything is done except the nearby places. I'm not too sure how good people's phone connection is going to be or how good the wireless is going to be.

http://img214.imageshack.us/i/fanimeapp.png/

I didn't make the schedule look like the Schedule in the hand book. What I'm trying to do is make it easier to find certain things like if you have a favorite anime show you want to see you can just type in the search box and it will show up. Or if you don't know a name of a show but know it's an anime, you could just click the button of a day and button of anime and it's type (series,fansubbed, industry.

I'm not sure too sure when the next pocket guide for 2011 but it would be great if I could get ahead of time to put it in the database.

Feel free to comment/suggestions/opinion or flame.

Thanks!!!

-Albert Einstein

sysadmin

Oh boy.  I was afraid of this.

I was previously willing to sanction a type of social networking app.  That is a fairly broad net, and I can listen to ideas on this point.

However, I cannot really permit a third-party application that essentially duplicates key functions of existing FanimeCon content.

Let me be more plain:

• FanimeCon is planning a schedule-based iPhone application. This is in addition to existing mobile schedule site.  This means we can't give consent to any app that plans to duplicate this or otherwise re-implement this.
  • FanimeCon 2010 published real-time schedule updates through its mobile schedule RSS feed, as well as other related feeds.  This should be the same or expanded in 2011.  I don't know if you're planning to rebroadcast the twitter updates, RSS feed, or something else, but it is unlikely that we will sanction an application that simply rebroadcasts what we already publish.
  • The FanimeCon 2010 website and program guide included map information (and, I believe, included a "what's nearby" guide).  The FanimeCon 2011 site and guides are expected to do the same.  This means we can't give consent to any app that plans to copy this information.

I understand that I'm being a bit direct, especially when I'm only looking at a picture of an application.

If you want to design an application that isn't simply re-duplicating already extant features, that's different and might turn into a fruitful discussion.

However, when we start seeing our content, especially our official logo, appearing on things that are not created by FanimeCon, that gets into a very testy area and I need to come down on that.

Piccahoe

ok I'll just stop then. Thanks. And oops, and I'm sorry!!!

-Albert Einstein

Rhornez

Quote from: sysadmin on January 05, 2011, 03:34:52 AM
Oh boy.  I was afraid of this.

I was previously willing to sanction a type of social networking app.  That is a fairly broad net, and I can listen to ideas on this point.

However, I cannot really permit a third-party application that essentially duplicates key functions of existing FanimeCon content.

Let me be more plain:

• FanimeCon is planning a schedule-based iPhone application. This is in addition to existing mobile schedule site.  This means we can't give consent to any app that plans to duplicate this or otherwise re-implement this.
  • FanimeCon 2010 published real-time schedule updates through its mobile schedule RSS feed, as well as other related feeds.  This should be the same or expanded in 2011.  I don't know if you're planning to rebroadcast the twitter updates, RSS feed, or something else, but it is unlikely that we will sanction an application that simply rebroadcasts what we already publish.
  • The FanimeCon 2010 website and program guide included map information (and, I believe, included a "what's nearby" guide).  The FanimeCon 2011 site and guides are expected to do the same.  This means we can't give consent to any app that plans to copy this information.

I understand that I'm being a bit direct, especially when I'm only looking at a picture of an application.

If you want to design an application that isn't simply re-duplicating already extant features, that's different and might turn into a fruitful discussion.

However, when we start seeing our content, especially our official logo, appearing on things that are not created by FanimeCon, that gets into a very testy area and I need to come down on that.
What about teh Android? I read"FanimeCon is planning a schedule-based iPhone application" What about the Android Phone users though? if I missed that you said it please tell me

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Piccahoe

I could do one for android but I'm not going to do anything unless I get permission and some victims...I mean testers since I don't have an android myself. I think there's nothing wrong with the Android (It's as good as the iPhone IMO) and I think they android should make an app too. But, they're prob make you use m.fanime.com. Sorry.

-Albert Einstein

Rhornez

Quote from: Piccahoe on January 06, 2011, 09:06:46 PM
I could do one for android but I'm not going to do anything unless I get permission and some victims...I mean testers since I don't have an android myself. I think there's nothing wrong with the Android (It's as good as the iPhone IMO) and I think they android should make an app too. But, they're prob make you use m.fanime.com. Sorry.
i has android if u ever need a victim err i mean tester and if they let u :D

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Piccahoe

Thanks.

I can product the both the iPhone and Android version with all the information and not sell it, which I wasn't going to sell it anyways. For the Fans, by the fans, right? But, I'm not going to. I'll rather have their permission first and I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. Oh well, we will all enjoy the m version as I shall call it.

-Albert Einstein

Kuudere

I, for one, would be interested in a foursquare-type application where people can "check in" to events and become mayors of places they frequent and see the other people who visit.

I also think a geocaching app would be fun (like a giant Easter egg hunt), though I don't know what the "treasure" would be once people have found the appropriate spots.

I have Android, so I'm crossing my fingers for something compatible with it.

sysadmin

Words!

Schedule/Maps/official information will be available on the web/mobile web.   I am expecting to have a corresponding iPhone application as developed by FanimeCon staff.  I would like to have a corresponding Android application as developed by FanimeCon Staff, but this is a medium promise, not a strong promise.  Again, these sentences only apply to presentation of official data such as Schedule/Maps/Changes/Guide, etc.

FourSquare-type-games/Social Networking/Geocaching are fantastic ideas.  I would love to see this available for either iPhone or Android.  I would be willing to sanction this type of app, even if it was developed by an independent creator (hint).  Obviously, there are important legal/IP issues to address, but I have seen my share of "officially-blessed but completely unofficial" spin-off concepts.  This could be one of them. 

Piccahoe

if you guys ever need an extra programmer for both device, just e-mail and I'll send you guys my resume.

-Albert Einstein

Kupo

I don't want your work to be crushed man, haha. I have some ideas of an alternative Fanime-related app since you cannot duplicate what that sysadmin person said. So why not make a "Sidekick" app? No not the Sidekick phone. But an app that's like a sidekick for the Fanime Con-Goer.

FanimeCon Sidekick

FanimeCon Community Tweets/Updates/Dispatch - Maybe link an RSS Feed of a "hashtag" #FanimeHappenings or #FanimeCommunity or something. Where people can tweet about issues and updates about what's going on at Fanime? It's more community based. It would seem informative and can also prove helpful. Promotes a better community and increases exposure for problems and information that needs to be brought to attention.

Examples:
"Oh no! Don't go to the Marriot Elevator right now, someone just threw up in there. #FanimeCommunity"
"Starting at 5pm, for only 5 Minutes. I'm doing a buy one, get one free deal @ Artist Alley Booth #21 #FanimeCommunity"
"Anyone seen my Fanime Badge? I think I dropped it... The ID is Blue, the name Bob Smith and nickname is ShoryukenBob #FanimeCommunity"
"The lines are starting for _______'s concert! So if you don't want a long wait, start lining up now! #FanimeCommunity
"Wow, I just beat @ReubenLangdon at MvC3! He's at Stage Zero right now if you want to see some fights. #FanimeCommunity
"There's a fight going on between the Christian Protesters and some irate Fanime Con-goers outside. #FanimeDispatch

FanimeCon Tips - Have a thread on the forum asking people for tips on how to survive at a convention, how to deal with hotel rooms, good times to go to this place, where are the bathrooms at, a list of places to eat ranging from cheap to expensive, etc. For the food places, maybe have different catagories such as "Nearest/Farthest from Con, Busy/Quiet from Con, Expensive/Cheap, etc."

Planime/To Do List - I know you can just use a notepad on the phone or another app. But if you can pull it off and it's simple. Then why not?

Example:

Utada Hikaru's Autograph Signing
Saturday, May 28, 2011 @ 3-4pm
Additional Notes: Remember to pick up the CD I want her to sign back at the hotel room.

Nintendo Cosplay Gathering
Sunday, May 29, 2011 @ 12pm
Additional Notes: Get lunch with friends after the gathering.

Fanime Picture Book:

Take some general locations of the convention center if you're allowed to. Or use reference pics from past Fanimes. It'd be a fun thing for people to look at. Basically it's a page with the name of the area of the convention center or the name of the panel along with a description of it.

Example:

Convention Center - Front
[Insert Actual Picture]
Description:
[Insert Zoomed In Portion of the Map that shows where it's at and some of the surrounding areas. Add a dot/star that would pinpoint where it's at.]

Stage Zero
[Insert Actual Picture]
Description:
[Insert Zoomed In Portion of the Map that shows where it's at and some of the surrounding areas. Add a dot/star that would pinpoint where it's at.]

Interactive Map:

I just got inspired from the Picture Book that I thought that we should also have an interactive map. A picture of the entire map that we can zoom in. There would be icons that would either symbolize what that place is or something that we can touch and a pop up window will appear telling you what's there. Bathrooms, Convention Food Areas, Water Locations. It'd be convenient. I just don't know if this is considered duplicate. But if the official Fanime people want to use this idea for their app, go ahead.

Reviews

Allow people to review events/panels?

---

Anyway, that's it for now on ideas that I'll contribute. If my main computer gets fixed, I'll make a visual presentation so that my ideas would get more clear. But yeah, there's obviously pros and cons to this, but what do you guys think?

M

Quote from: Kupo on February 24, 2011, 04:29:02 PMFanimeCon Community Tweets/Updates/Dispatch - Maybe link an RSS Feed of a "hashtag" #FanimeHappenings or #FanimeCommunity or something. Where people can tweet about issues and updates about what's going on at Fanime? It's more community based. It would seem informative and can also prove helpful. Promotes a better community and increases exposure for problems and information that needs to be brought to attention.

Examples:
"Oh no! Don't go to the Marriot Elevator right now, someone just threw up in there. #FanimeCommunity"
"Starting at 5pm, for only 5 Minutes. I'm doing a buy one, get one free deal @ Artist Alley Booth #21 #FanimeCommunity"
"Anyone seen my Fanime Badge? I think I dropped it... The ID is Blue, the name Bob Smith and nickname is ShoryukenBob #FanimeCommunity"
"The lines are starting for _______'s concert! So if you don't want a long wait, start lining up now! #FanimeCommunity
"Wow, I just beat @ReubenLangdon at MvC3! He's at Stage Zero right now if you want to see some fights. #FanimeCommunity
"There's a fight going on between the Christian Protesters and some irate Fanime Con-goers outside. #FanimeDispatch
There's already a #Fanime (some also use #FanimeCon) hash-tag that we use during the convention. ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

ewu

btw, please not Sysadmin's post:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,15116.msg403139.html#msg403139

if you would like this thread unlocked, please PM me as to why.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom