Which Hotels Offered Suites for Fanime?

Started by elley, December 25, 2010, 01:59:44 PM

elley

Hey, I'm doing a little research so that I can make a quick decision once hotel registrations go up.

I know the Marriot had Junior Suites and I think the Hilton. Did any other hotels offer them too?

I stayed at the Marriot this year, but the sofa bed was not comfortable according to my friends. But it's a toss up between more space (junior suite) or comfy beds (double bed guest room). So any info. to help me decide would be great too.

Thanks.

Kyra_Maverick

The Fairmont has some really nice suites. I've never stayed in one, but I visited one last year. The place was huge with multiple beds, chairs and a sofa/couch area.

I know that the Crowne Plaza also has suites, but I've never seen them. Also, suites aren't always available through the website. You may have to call the housing department directly to reserve a suite with Fanime pricing.

elley

Yea, now that you mention it, that sounds like what I did for this year. I had booked a double first with Fanime, but I had to e-mail them later to switch to a junior suite with the Marriot. It's been only half a year but I totally forgot! ^_^'

What about the Sainte Claire? Their parking fees are more affordable for me. It's for this reason that I stayed at the Marriott since they gave a discount for con goers.

Laylian

Out of curiousity, do you remember the price you paid last year for a suite at the Marriot (or the Hilton)? I'm considering going that route, but I think I'm going to have to budget more, haha.

I remember seeing suites in the Sainte Claire, but I can't remember if they were available at the Fanime price or not >.<;;

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: Laylian on January 08, 2011, 11:58:16 PM
Out of curiousity, do you remember the price you paid last year for a suite at the Marriot (or the Hilton)? I'm considering going that route, but I think I'm going to have to budget more, haha.

I remember seeing suites in the Sainte Claire, but I can't remember if they were available at the Fanime price or not >.<;;
I am interested in hearing this myself. ^_^ It is very hard finding a room that holds more than four people. A suite sounds like a good idea, but I am pretty sure that if I book one outside of the Marriot or Hilton my group and husband will probably shoot me lol. They don't like walking outside of the convention center haha.

elley

You're all in luck, I kept all my e-mails from last year's Fanime.  :)

I paid $154 per night at the Marriott for a junior suite. Plus, the parking was only $12.50 per day for Fanime attendees.

Jerry

Quote from: elley on January 11, 2011, 10:55:23 PM
You're all in luck, I kept all my e-mails from last year's Fanime.  :)

I paid $154 per night at the Marriott for a junior suite. Plus, the parking was only $12.50 per day for Fanime attendees.

Hi elley --- im thinking about getting a Suite with a couple of friends...

Could you describe the difference between the "normal" room and the suite you had? Do you think it was worth what you paid for?

Also --- just out curiosity what floor did you end up on?

Thanks in advance for your input and info! :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

elley

You basically get double the space. The room is basically a long rectangle. One end had the king sized bed, in the middle is the sofa bed against the long side of the wall with the coffee table in front of it and the desk directly on the wall across. There was also a small arm chair there too. Then the other side had the bathroom (sliding door) and closet. Oh and the TV was placed somewhere between the bed and sofa.

A normal double bed room is more like a square with a small and short hallway on one side. The hallway is where the bathroom and closet would be located, directly opposite of each other. In the main area, you would have two full sized bed I believe, with an armchair and desk somewhere. At least, that's what my rooms were like, unless you get a corner room. My corner room had a longer hallway and a type of small empty foyer (so think big square and littler square connected by a short and skinny rectangle at the top between them).

There is more walking space in a junior suite for sure. There's just more space period. In a regular double room, I was always walking over something or crawling over the beds to get somewhere. However, in a regular room, you get 2 nice beds to sleep on. The junior suite's sofa bed is not as comfortable. The daylight was brighter in my junior suite though, there were just more windows.

As for the price, it wasn't too bad. I wish the sofa bed was more comfortable though. It worked as a great sofa, but it wasn't great to sleep on when you pulled the bed out. I think that was the biggest downer of the junior suite. But we definitely had more space and light.

My room was on the 10th floor btw. I walked up and down those stairs quite a bit.

Velveteen Rabbit

So, in the junior suite it sounds like five people could sleep there? Also, when you say the normal room you mean just like the room with two beds right? Sorry, I just really want to get things staight as that I have a few poeple in my group who will freak out if I don't get all the info lol

elley

Yes, a normal double bed room has two full sized beds, hence the name double bed.

As for how many people could sleep there. Officially, a junior suite is only supposed to have 4 guests only. But there is plenty of space in the junior suite. So I'll leave it at that.  ;)

Kuudere

I had the Jr. Suite in Marriott last year for the first time. It was on the 6th floor (which, according to hotel staff was the lowest suite we could get because Fanime staff reserved the lower ones). It was definitely roomier and a lot less dark (tons of windows). The closet space was larger, and actually had a window, too. I used it to change a couple times. Bathrooms looked slightly bigger. The only downside is that our couch was NOT a bed, like they said it would be. We asked about it, but they just kind of shrugged their shoulders. We had 5 people and fit everyone in there just fine, with one person sleeping on the couch as it was. Would I recommend it? If you have a lot of stuff/people (within reason, of course) to store, and have the budget for it, sure.

We did a bit of research on the floor plans last year, so if there are people interested, I have the pdf files of them saved. It looks pretty much identical to the floor plan. The only thing that might be confusing is that the small room at the entrance is shared between you and another suite.

Jr. Suite floor plan:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1386339/SJMarriott_JrSuite.pdf

Regular floor plan:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1386339/SJMarriott_GuestSuites.pdf

Hope that helps you make your decision!

EDIT: I'm looking at the floor plan more closely, and noticed that there is a difference. That little tail end of the bathroom was actually the closet, and it was not connected to the bathroom like that. It had sliding mirror doors that faced the room. Weird how they attached it to the bathroom. I also really can't remember if there were two TVs or not, since we really never used them.  ???

Tsu

Meowdesu, or anyone else who had a junior suite, was there a half wall or partition between the sofa and couch like on the floorplan? And aside from that, if you get a regular sofa and not what you were promised, you're definitely within your rights to fuss. Its not what you paid for, after all.. they might give you a discount.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Kuudere

Quote from: foester on January 14, 2011, 04:26:05 PM
Meowdesu, or anyone else who had a junior suite, was there a half wall or partition between the sofa and couch like on the floorplan? And aside from that, if you get a regular sofa and not what you were promised, you're definitely within your rights to fuss. Its not what you paid for, after all.. they might give you a discount.

Yes, it's a short wall that came up to about my stomach if I remember right. Nothing really functional. And yeah, that whole couch thing messed up our sleeping arrangement, but I think we were just happy to get the room we did, so we didn't fuss too much over it. It is definitely a good question to ask the hotel about should you reserve the suite, though, if you plan to use the couch.

elley

Well, that's a bummer about the sofa. Although, you know, the sofa's bed was uncomfortable enough that my friend decided to turn it back into a sofa a sleep on it while my other friend slept in the arm chair.

@foester: there is a half wall between the king sized bed and the sofa. I'm basically 5ft tall and it came up to my chest. So, I'd say it's 4ft tall.

Kuudere

Quote from: elley on January 14, 2011, 05:36:34 PM
Well, that's a bummer about the sofa. Although, you know, the sofa's bed was uncomfortable enough that my friend decided to turn it back into a sofa a sleep on it while my other friend slept in the arm chair.

@foester: there is a half wall between the king sized bed and the sofa. I'm basically 5ft tall and it came up to my chest. So, I'd say it's 4ft tall.

Heh, well I guess we both didn't have any luck with that couch.

3.5 - 4ft sounds about right to me. I'm 5'9", and that rests a bit higher than my stomach, which is around what I remember.

Mahou_Negi

Um.. question. How do you reserve a suite? Do you have to call the hotel or Housing or email or what? :-\

venus_ivy

Quote from: Mahou_Negi on January 14, 2011, 08:06:02 PM
Um.. question. How do you reserve a suite? Do you have to call the hotel or Housing or email or what? :-\

Suites are available at the St. Claire. Feel free to also call CMR to check on any additional choices- they will be open again on Tuesday after the holiday weekend.
What do I do for Fanime? I say No!

ichigocorcor

Well, it's official, Hilton has no available suites for Fanime this year, so it's up to either the Marriott or Fairmont.
Fairmont has two suite types available, the Signature Suite (3 person, $231/night) and the Executive Suite (4 person, $224/night).

Hope that helps!
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

elley

I debated about the Sainte Claire suite, but settled on the double bed rooms. Less space, but better sleep.

EJAY420

I booked me a king suite at the St. Claire Hotel from fanime friday to fanime monday. Now comes the searching for roomies part.

Most Impressive.