What are possible jobs in the gaming industry?

Started by Bensonwaugh, January 03, 2011, 02:31:01 AM

Bensonwaugh

What are possible jobs in the gaming industry?

I have a passion for video games and would like to work in the electronic gaming industry.

(Sig removed, user was banned for being a spammer)

kookiekween99

I'll admit, I used google. I broke it down into three main types, since they're usually suited to different types of people.

Development
Designer
Programmer
Animator
Audio Engineer
Writer

Post-Development
Translator
Tester
Tech Support

Manager Stuff
Producer
Marketing
Research
Sales
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Way too many to list.  In this day of age, it could be almost anything.

Can you please narrow it down?  Can you name your experiences, specialties, what you enjoy doing, what you want to pursue learning?  You simply can't say you like video games and say you like to work in the industry without knowing glimpses of what the industry.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

PyronIkari

Yeah seriously. This is like saying "I WANT TO WORK IN THE MEDICAL FIELD!"

The number of jobs that stem from that are near countless.

But for starters. Getting a job in the game industry is just like getting a job in any other industry. Credentials... and knowing people are what get you in. If you want to be in design... get your degree in it, communicate with people, and befriend people in the industry. If you want to be a programmer, sound technician, translator, etc. etc. etc. you get credentials in that field. Then you apply and branch out just like anywhere else.

Piccahoe

Don't be a programmer unless you have a passion for it!! Also, there are hardly any programming job available. I know friends who got a Game Programming Simulation degree and end up becoming game testers. It's hard. It's gonna take a few years before you actually get to do contribute to a game, besides testing.
If you actually want to tribute almost anything to making a video games, you must know how to program from what I had observed and heard.

if you are going to become an artist...good luck....all I have to say is this: drawing sprites sucks and it's rare to find somebody who will do sprites.

good luck...
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: Piccahoe on January 04, 2011, 05:16:00 PMIf you actually want to tribute almost anything to making a video games, you must know how to program from what I had observed and heard.

Observe further than what you believe.

Where did you hear this?  As mentioned already in this topic, the jobs and contributions for video games is EXTREMELY BROAD!

Non-programming positions such as Professional Voice Acting, Marketing, and Motion Capture Models/Actors do not require programming experience.  Does Jack Black know how to program because he's in Brutal Legend?  Do those music artists like Lady Gaga that appear in DDR and Rock Band know how to program those games?  Did all the Football players program themselves on the Madden series?  Did Reggie Fils-Aime code any of the Nintendo games?  I'm not saying they can't nor didn't program at all, but programming wasn't listed their primary duties.

Piccahoe

Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on January 05, 2011, 04:10:51 AM
Where did you hear this? 

I might be wrong but I heard from a Dean/Teacher of GSP. He's been the game industry back in the days and I don't know if what he says still applies. Sorry!!!
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: Piccahoe on January 05, 2011, 05:53:39 PM
Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on January 05, 2011, 04:10:51 AM
Where did you hear this? 

I might be wrong but I heard from a Dean/Teacher of GSP. He's been the game industry back in the days and I don't know if what he says still applies. Sorry!!!

No need to apologize.  Hehe.  I would assume he worked in the industry during the early 90's (SNES/Genesis) or earlier because you said back in the days.  At that time, it holds true as Video Clips, Professional Voice Acting, Character Models, etc. were not as much present at that time; programming/engineering was the biggest chunk for gaming at that time.

However, even if he had said that, just like the everyday job market, it is up to the students to keep up with the current times on their own and match today's demands.  For video games, too many new doors have opened and the non-programming aspect of creating video games have dramatically branched out as mentioned in the previous post.

Mizuki

Come on guys, you can't tell between spam bots and dumbasses? Just look at the sig.