Looking for more Claymore-like Anime

Started by Junon, January 11, 2011, 03:27:05 PM

Junon

My GF and I are just getting into Anime after she discovered Claymore on Netflix and just decided to take a chance on watching it (randomly). It was so awesome even I got into it as well, and we plowed through it in a couple of days. Now we're sad because we haven't been able to find anything else like it. :'(

We're relatively new to Anime viewing (I have some experience) and we're looking for something similar to Claymore. Anyone have any recommendations?

If this helps, she's into vampires (not the sparkly alternate-dietary needs wimp-pires), werewolves and generally anything where females are the lead roles with unreal powers that destroy everything.

I'm more into Sci-fi. I'm thinking space battles, Star Trek/Wars style.

And we're both not into the too-exaggerated slapstick anime (but funny is good), more into the darker serious stuff like Claymore and Vampire Hunter D).

Thanks. :)

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Junon

Blood+. Never heard of it, will give it a try, thanks. :)

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Junon

Didn't get into Blood+, not sure what was wrong with it (or wrong with us).

We really got into Hellgirl, and I selected that by accident on Netflix streaming. If the Xbox controller didn't die, I woulda hit the back button to find something else. Glad it did die, the first episode got us hooked and we plowed through it all!

Any other anime similar to Hellgirl?

Lizchan33

I have a place you can try :D

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/

It's not the best but most of the time it's pretty good at matching to similar animes or ones that you might like.

Also watch Vampire Hunter: D and Bloodlust if you haven't yet :D

c2chaos

Space battle: (Other than most of the Gundam series) VanDread.
Vampires: Hellsing

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

windowrunner

If you like the dark & gory stuff then I'd recommend Beserk and Shigurui.

For kickass female lead, Kite and Dead Leaves come to mind.

I don't know if all of those are on netflicks but I'm pretty sure Dead Leaves is, which is a fun movie.

themalletofjustice

How about Ghost Hunt or Mononoke (the series, not the Miyazaki movie although that one is awesome too)?

EternalHearts

Hi,if your looking for claymore like anime or other types of animes like some of the ones You've described above,why not see Sword art online,the anime might not catch ur attention in the first 1-5 episodes depending on the person you are,but to totally get you hooked skip right to episode 9 and watch the entire episode,this may be a spoiler but u will be hooked,the anime is amazing ,romantic,and addicting to watch,my favorite anime site is anime dreaming , www.animedreaming.tv  Summary of anime ------>>> The only way to escape is to 'clear' the game. Death in game means actual 'death' ---- The ten thousand who have logged onto the as of yet mysterious game 'Sword Art Online' using their Nerve Gear have been forced into this perilous death game and are trapped inside. Protagonist Kirito, one of the many gamers, has greeted this 'truth'. He plays as a solo player in the giant castle that is the stage for this game ---- 'Aincrad'. To meet the conditions of clearing the game and leaving this twisted virtual world, he must get through all 100 floors. Will Kirito have what it takes to clear the game, or will he die trying? this is the link to episode 9, http://www.animedreaming.tv/sword-art-online-episode-9/   and remeber ENJOY :p.