Abridging a Series Panel 2011

Started by Eliteslayer, January 14, 2011, 08:22:46 PM

Eliteslayer

Well, last year's panel on Abridged Series was a huge success, so it's time to make a thread for next year's. At this panel, we discuss what goes into the creation of Abridged Series, their popularity, history, and then audience volunteers come up and lend their voices for the creation of a one-shot episode.

This year, the panel will be run by myself (co-creator, writer, editor, and actor for Ranma 1/2: The Abridged Chronicles), as well as xXNeokaXx, editor of Negima The Abridged Series. We were cut off a little early last time, so we're going to aim for a 2-hour timeslot this time. That way the first hour can be spent discussing Abridged Series, while the second can be used for making the one-shot.

The videos from previous years can be found through these links:
2009: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/anime/watch/v1852278369zXfg6M
2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZG56Lvk1NU
2011: http://youtu.be/KtMAiSYPcXo

We haven't yet decided what to abridge this year at the panel, so feel free to suggest a series you'd like to see. Please remember that it cannot be a licensed series, at the request of Fanime's staff. (The legality of Abridged Series will also be discussed at the panel. Spoiler: it's totally legal.)
Cosplay battle! Three-pose Fight
The works of Ken Akamatsu 2010
"Abridging a Series" Panel

Hope you can attend 'em!

Rodney_Pheonix

I'm a bit confused by what you mean licensed. IE: The anime isn't licensed in the U.S. or someone hasn't already created an abridged series.

I have a couple suggestions but I'm tentative to pitch them for fear of having them shot down.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Eliteslayer

One that hasn't been licensed in the US, since we don't want to get caught up in a copyright debate, but if it hasn't been abridged yet, then that's even better. Feel free to throw any ideas you have out there, I'll be sure to consider them.

Hope you can attend 'em!

Rodney_Pheonix

Hmmmm... in that case here's a few ideas. Feel free to shoot them down though.
Ah. Ok. I'm not completely up on my Anime knowledge as I've basically completely gone over to reading Manga so I've split the list into two groups.

Ones I think are unlicensed.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

XXXHolic

Bartender

Katekyō Hitman Reborn!

One's I'm not completely Sure are unlicensed.

Trigun

Robotech

S-Cry-Ed  (I think this one would make for an awesome Abridged Series BTW... Lost of yelling and fight scenes. Kinda like DBZ on Crack only without making a single attack's power up span multiple episodes.)
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Eliteslayer

Let's see... some of those I know are licensed, but I'm not too sure about others, so I'll look into them to see if they're free game or not. Bartender I'll definitely look up, thanks for your suggestions!

Hope you can attend 'em!

xxNeokaXx

I do think we should include a DOs and DON'Ts of abridging section, so we can give tips or helpful advice to promising abridgers. I'm sure some of these will also come up during questions, so maybe we should even have a few minutes for just questions?

Eliteslayer

Aye, we discussed that earlier, and it's a good idea. At the last panel there were a LOT of questions, so I'm setting aside a good chunk of time to answer those, of course. We should use some time this weekend to discuss the basic outline that we'll use for the panel.

Hope you can attend 'em!

Fazio

Hey guys!  Thought you might want to check out our panel!

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,15599.0.html

It's the same concept as yours, but it's a competition.  If you want to mention us we'd really appreciate it (we'll do the same for you of course :D ).

Eliteslayer

Sure, I'll throw a plug your way if you throw one our's, no prob.

Hope you can attend 'em!

Fazio

Eliteslayer

Okay, time to get some opinions: what anime should we abridge at this panel? It has to be something that isn't licensed by an American company, and I have to be able to find it somewhere, logically.

Right now I'm leaning towards Bakuman, but any other suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Hope you can attend 'em!

Eliteslayer

So, the panel has been set for Saturday at 4:00 in Panel Room 1. The series we'll be abridging has been chosen and the script has been written. The panel is looking like it'll be a good one!

I've also made a little commercial for the panel, which will hopefully draw in a few more attendees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2Eu5-MzrY

Hope you can attend 'em!

Fazio

Super stoked for this one!  Looks like all the best panels are on Saturday  ;D

Phantom Roxas

I'm the one who voiced Jigsaw in the one-shot. That was a seriously fun panel, and I'm looking forward to next year's.

Eliteslayer

Thank you, everyone who came! I hope everyone had a good time. It was a lot less crowded than last year, so I'm sorry we didn't have material for all two hours, but I think it still went well. I'll post here as soon as the video is finished and uploaded.

Hope you can attend 'em!

Eliteslayer

The video is up! Thank you once again to everyone who participated, I hope you enjoy.

http://youtu.be/KtMAiSYPcXo

Hope you can attend 'em!