Cosplayer Hangout 2012 ~ 1st & last post ~ 8/8/2011

Started by BSaphire, January 18, 2011, 08:06:51 AM

Cosplayer Hangout 2011

4 Stars ~ LOVED IT and will use it again!
4 (80%)
3 Stars ~ Great idea and I might use it again.
1 (20%)
2 Stars ~ It's was ok, but I didn't use it.
0 (0%)
1 Stars ~ Nice try, but won't really help cosplayers.
0 (0%)
0 Stars ~ I'm the devil... What were you thinking!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

BSaphire

I have updated the Cosplayer to Cosplayer Repair Kit on the first post. I really want to do something concerning Fabric swapping & scraps... so we'll give that some more ponder.

As for ideas for the room:
I have been talking with lots of people and a couple of suggestions have come up.
1. Have the CH where cosplayers are in a "Free from Photos" zone. I can relate to this because when you are cosplaying you can be asked to death for photos and you can't really sit anywhere "safe" from the requests. What do you think?
2. Have a Cosplayer to Cosplayer Q & A where the cosplayers can come and talk to another cosplayer about how they did ______ and/or _____ on their costume or costumes. This would be really good for some topics like wigs, make up techniques, dolfie clothing, mechanical props, armor, working with feathers, making wings, etc. It would be a low key atmosphere where cosplayers can get some 1 on 1 Q & A with another cosplayer who can tell/show them how they did it. What do you guys think?
3. music that is J rock, J pop, anime, game playing quietly in the room. What do you think?
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Chaye

This is an absolutely amazing idea >__<!

I can donate Q-tips, a pack of assorted sized scissors (right handed), Fingernail Polish Remover Wipes, and some Tissue :3

donations can be brought on Day 0 right? cause I'm in SoCal =[

AX Staff
Exhibit Hall: Asst Manager
o(≧∀≦)o

Rodney_Pheonix

1: Like that idea.
2: Is brilliant too.
3: so kinda anime/japanese themed elevator or lobby music?...Scored a home run.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

tatterpixie

Quote from: BSaphire on January 22, 2011, 01:41:24 PM
As for ideas for the room:
I have been talking with lots of people and a couple of suggestions have come up.
1. Have the CH where cosplayers are in a "Free from Photos" zone. I can relate to this because when you are cosplaying you can be asked to death for photos and you can't really sit anywhere "safe" from the requests. What do you think?
2. Have a Cosplayer to Cosplayer Q & A where the cosplayers can come and talk to another cosplayer about how they did ______ and/or _____ on their costume or costumes. This would be really good for some topics like wigs, make up techniques, dolfie clothing, mechanical props, armor, working with feathers, making wings, etc. It would be a low key atmosphere where cosplayers can get some 1 on 1 Q & A with another cosplayer who can tell/show them how they did it. What do you guys think?
3. music that is J rock, J pop, anime, game playing quietly in the room. What do you think?

1. SO MUCH YES. Last year I couldn't walk five feet without getting people wanting their picture taken with the "cute mouse". XD
2. I'd really like this! I'm new to cosplaying and would love to pick the brains of those more experienced.
3. Absolutely! ^_____^
Fanime 2013 cosplay plans:
Tochiro Oyama (Captain Harlock)
Pinako Rockbell (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Dany

Quote from: BSaphire on January 22, 2011, 01:41:24 PMI have updated the Cosplayer to Cosplayer Repair Kit on the first post. I really want to do something concerning Fabric swapping & scraps... so we'll give that some more ponder.

Yay *KermitFlail!*

QuoteAs for ideas for the room:

I like this. Not that I get hounded for photos, but still, a break is a break, or it should be.

2. Have a Cosplayer to Cosplayer Q & A where the cosplayers can come and talk to another cosplayer about how they did ______ and/or _____ on their costume or costumes. This would be really good for some topics like wigs, make up techniques, dolfie clothing, mechanical props, armor, working with feathers, making wings, etc. It would be a low key atmosphere where cosplayers can get some 1 on 1 Q & A with another cosplayer who can tell/show them how they did it. What do you guys think?[/quote]

So are we talking perhaps mini-panels with a particular theme? Could be kind of nifty ;)

Quote3. music that is J rock, J pop, anime, game playing quietly in the room. What do you think?

Spa music. Get the right stuff and it'll be like being in an onsen! Ommmmmmmmmmmmm :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

BSaphire

@ Chaye: Oh thank you! I've added your donation items to the list :) Yes, Day zero drop off will happen, but I need to do some set up as to where and when so I listed it as TBA.

@ Dany: Not really mini panels because Fanime Con has a whole department that is well run for panels of all sizes. Panels are designed to be largely informative in a large group setting and for some people it is hard to ask questions in that set up. Panels are awesome and really help get a subject out to a large group.

I'm thinking smaller and more personal in the setting where you really get to know a fellow cosplayer and would possibly feel more comfortable asking questions to create/solve/ or inspire your own projects. It might be a great place for some testing of panel ideas though*LOL :)

There are some REALLY Talented cosplayers out there! From make-up techniques to wigs, from moving parts to props, specialties like ears, gloves, wings and hats to special sewing techniques or even pattern manipulation, not to mention armor making techniques or working with a particular product like wonderflex or foam. I have seen great YouTube videos and informative documentation on many concepts, but there is nothing like being able to talk with someone about how they did it or how to do it.

I have a friend who cosplay's Sephiroth from Final Fantasy and last year he had the moving black wing. LOTS of people would talk to him about how he did it and stuff, but normally he would be interrupted by people wanting photos.

This would be an opportunity to meet cosplayers like him who have a really good example &/or understanding of a concept where they could sit and talk about what they did, how they did it, what worked or didn't, etc with people who are interested because they need help figuring out their own projects. More along the lines of a 1 on 1 with _____ on _____ subject with out the interruption of "Can I have a photo please?"

I was thinking 2 ~ 1 hour time slots each day, probably afternoon to early evening. Listing the cosplayer w/their cosplay and subject along with the day and hour they would be available for discussion. Then cosplayers could come in and listen, ask questions, maybe get some hands on learning, swap emails so that they can continue to communicate after Fanime Con.

I want to figure out who would be interested in doing a "1 hour Ask the Cosplayer Q&A" and/or what ideas would be good for it.

BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

maikiritori

Mebbe instead of a 1 hr Q and A, we could do something a little less "formal" sounding. Like a 20 questions to ____ cosplayer on _____ subject, to get the ball rolling, and then have a more personalized discussion after the initial 20 Q's as we're introducing the next cosplayer.  

Also, I got something awesome for an on-site suggestion box type thing. If not, we use it as a scraps/thread trash can. ^^

I also have one small basket (for pins/needles/safety pins/whatnot), and one medium-ish (a small shoebox) plastic rubbermaid tote with lid that is perfect for sharpies. I will also be bringing white out.

I know this is kind of random, but I might also be able to bring some blank sheets (16"x24" ish) butcher type paper. Would we need any in the first place? Because I don't want to bring it if we don't need it, but I think there will probably be a used for it. >>

@ B, I my battery died, I didn't hang up on you. I'll call you Thurs afternoon/night sometime. ^^
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

BSaphire

Quote from: maikiritori on January 27, 2011, 02:20:13 AM
Mebbe instead of a 1 hr Q and A, we could do something a little less "formal" sounding. Like a 20 questions to ____ cosplayer on _____ subject, to get the ball rolling, and then have a more personalized discussion after the initial 20 Q's as we're introducing the next cosplayer.
Yeah! The hour is so that people who are tied up with a gathering or something can come in there sometime with in the hour to ask questions. Definitely an "informal" format and I do like the 20 questions type explanation. This isn't designed to be a panel but a place where a cosplayer can meet another cosplayer to help iron out ideas towards their own cosplay. :)

I'll add your stuff to the list later :) and I don't think we will need the butcher paper at this point... unless someone can think of a logical use for it XD
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

maikiritori

I just realized that I have this old suitcase of medium size with fairly hard sides that has wheels... that is currently collecting dust in my closet. This would be a great thing for us to use to haul CH stuff around in. So, I'm packing it with the stuff that I am donating to the CH room, and I will be bringing it to con with us. Muahahha! More stuff to Tetris into my car.

Things that are currently in the CG Suitcase:

3 black sharpies
2 liquid white out (I just know someone will need this)
95 yards of clear packing tape
10 yards of duct tape
250 pack of q tips
80 pack of cotton rounds
1 clear nail polish
200 assorted sizes safety pins (3/4", 7/8", and 1 1/2")
55 2" size safety pins
1 pump hair spray
1 aerosol hair spray
1 glue stick (it was already in the suitcase, so I left it)
30 fabric band aids
25 waterproof band aids
1 neosporen
1 small plastic basket
1 medium/small container with lid (perfect size for sharpies and such)
AND, one inventory list.

The dollar store is a wonderful place <3

Also, 20 questions (in my experience) takes FOREVER if there are some good questions. I don't think we'll have to worry about not taking up a whole hour or anything (if that's what y'all were worried about.)
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

BunofGovt

Say, B, I know Charis has steam-a-seam and a glue gun.  As you will be in the Hilton, I assume there will be at least one outlet in the room.  Will you need an extension cord and/or an iron? 
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Necara

This sounds like the perfect idea! I know many girls who wear platforms/high heels would love a nice place to be able to sit and relax and rest their feet. Plus the repair station there is a very neat idea.

BSaphire

Currently the Cosplayer Hangout looks to be in the Market Room of the Hilton (the room next to the bar) and there will be a water station with some tables & chairs.

There will NOT be any outside food or drink allowed, HOWEVER, if you order food from the bar or restaurant it will be allowed, otherwise it is just the water station food &/or drink wise that can be allowed. Tea parties will have to use CPMS, or PM me cause I do have another idea.

I will post more once we get the official announcement done.

Still looking for feedback & ideas on the "fabric" possibilities. (Pondered the thought of doing a Hetalia type quilt with blocks of color from each country and the county's name over the top of the four color blocks?)

What is everyone else thinking???
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Lizchan33

When you talk about this you're meaning a full fledged room ehhhhhhh??!!??
I'm totally up for that and you know why!!!~~~!~~<3

ThunderMuffn

I totally love this idea: I feel silly having to "adjust" my costume in public, so a place where it was okay to powder my nose without judgment would be really nice.

BSaphire

Quote from: ThunderMuffn on February 14, 2011, 11:30:23 PM
I totally love this idea: I feel silly having to "adjust" my costume in public, so a place where it was okay to powder my nose without judgment would be really nice.
*LOL I do know what you mean there! XD

Though we can't allow any outside food into the room (Which we will still use the CPMS for those special gatherings :) ) I am so happy that we will have this location to use during the day. If peeps want to picnic in the little tree area out side down the stairs then we can plug in a hot water kettle to help make a few cups of hot tea (by tea bags of course) but at least we can assist to make those special events a little bit better :)

What I am wondering is... are there any cosplayers who would like to do a 20 questions session with other cosplayers? What subject would you like to take those questions on? Remember this isn't a panel... it is a time where cosplayers can come ask questions of other cosplayers. Ideas that I have heard talked about are:
makeup techniques
wig styling
ears
wings
armor making
working with special products like wonderflex, foam, laytex
incorporating mechanical aspects into your cosplay
what would work best for this____ ?

Anyone interested in talking about how they do ____ and the neat tricks & tips they have picked up along the way? Just post here your ideas and I'll make a list on the first post of who and what they would talk about. Also what would everyone consider a convenient time to do this each day?
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Cosplay Circus

Love this idea! I'm amazed it hadn't been thought of years ago xD

Personally something I'd love for it to have would be like a temporary prop check-in since sticking my 6 foot scythe in the back corner of the bathroom tends to be a bit of a hassal considering how small they are space wise. Mostly just a place so that the cosplayers that have big weapons can just drop them off for a couple of minutes without worry of anyone accidently damaging them in the bathrooms since they tend to have a lot of people going in and out of them.
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

BSaphire

Quote from: Wolftale on February 17, 2011, 07:36:35 PM
Love this idea! I'm amazed it hadn't been thought of years ago xD

Personally something I'd love for it to have would be like a temporary prop check-in since sticking my 6 foot scythe in the back corner of the bathroom tends to be a bit of a hassle considering how small they are space wise. Mostly just a place so that the cosplayers that have big weapons can just drop them off for a couple of minutes without worry of anyone accidentally damaging them in the bathrooms since they tend to have a lot of people going in and out of them.
I did think of it years ago *LOL but I haven't been able to put it into play until now :) It is one of those things that would take a cosplayer to see the need for it.

Right now our primary concern is being responsible for other peoples property. I do know that if anything is left in the room when it closes that it will be checked in to ConOps. If it is very valuable (cell phone, IPod, camera, etc) It will be taken up to ConOps immediately. So if any one looses anything during con, the first place to check after your initial search is CON OPS!
With that said, we will discuss what we can do, so peeps can use the restroom and not fear damage to their props :) Good Idea, we'll see what we can do with it!

@ all the cosplayers:
Still a few items we could use in the C2C RK & Looking for peeps interested in a 20 Question/Discussion session. See 1st post for more info on the C2C 20Q/D.

Keep the ideas rolling! Love to hear from you!
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Pengin-san

Oh my goodness!  I was in such desperate need of something like this last year!  My stockings ripped pretty badly and my shoes were absolutely killing me!  I wished so badly that there was a place I could have gone to fix my blisters and stockings, because walking all the way to Walgreens with burning feet suuuuucked.  I might be able to donate some items, but let me get back to you on that later :3.

Random question, if it was a cosplayer-exclusive room, would I be able to bring my friend, who is not a cosplayer?
I'm hosting a panel this year!  Come check out Visual Kei: More Than Music!  It will be filled with fun, glamor, and sheer awesome music!

BSaphire

Quote from: Pengin-san on February 28, 2011, 06:00:47 AM
Oh my goodness!  I was in such desperate need of something like this last year!  My stockings ripped pretty badly and my shoes were absolutely killing me!  I wished so badly that there was a place I could have gone to fix my blisters and stockings, because walking all the way to Walgreens with burning feet suuuuucked.  I might be able to donate some items, but let me get back to you on that later :3.

Random question, if it was a cosplayer-exclusive room, would I be able to bring my friend, who is not a cosplayer?
Though it is designed with the cosplayer in mind, YES you can bring your friend as long as they have their Fanime Con 2011 badge. You don't have to be in cosplay at the time to use the room.

I have been there with the sore feet and walking :) except for me it was 9 blocks to and from the con center in Seattle WA in heels after the masq ball and the dance :P I walked it bare foot on cold, wet, wonderful pavement cause my feet were KILLING me *LOL. The reason clear finger nail polish is on the list is because it is great to stop runs in nylons  ;D
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: BSaphire on March 01, 2011, 07:24:03 AM
The reason clear finger nail polish is on the list is because it is great to stop runs in nylons  ;D

I had no idea that could stop runs O__O definitely going to remember that in the future, THANK YOU~!
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)