Cosplayer Hangout 2012 ~ 1st & last post ~ 8/8/2011

Started by BSaphire, January 18, 2011, 08:06:51 AM

Cosplayer Hangout 2011

4 Stars ~ LOVED IT and will use it again!
4 (80%)
3 Stars ~ Great idea and I might use it again.
1 (20%)
2 Stars ~ It's was ok, but I didn't use it.
0 (0%)
1 Stars ~ Nice try, but won't really help cosplayers.
0 (0%)
0 Stars ~ I'm the devil... What were you thinking!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Touya no Miko

I got a whole case of different assorted makeups, brushes, sponges, etc for those who need a quick touch up. A lot of them unused and clean. If there are any makeup newbies, I'll try to help out with some tips. Plus, I'll bring some detangler spray and spare some Styrofoam wig heads for those who want to take off their wig for a while and have a place to hang them.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Kuudere

Quote from: Touya no Miko on March 02, 2011, 03:16:51 PM
I got a whole case of different assorted makeups, brushes, sponges, etc for those who need a quick touch up. A lot of them unused and clean. If there are any makeup newbies, I'll try to help out with some tips. Plus, I'll bring some detangler spray and spare some Styrofoam wig heads for those who want to take off their wig for a while and have a place to hang them.

The makeup thing might be a bad idea if it isn't done properly. Germs and infections can spread easily with shared makeup items. However, I work at a department store where we have a beauty department with tester makeup, and there are ways to make it cleaner, but it would require everyone using individual cotton balls/swabs instead of brushes and sponges (and no putting a contaminated swab back into makeup). I don't know how much Fanime staff would want to be responsible for something like that. Not that it's a bad idea overall, but it'd take some work (and the assumption that everyone knows how to be clean) to make it safe for everyone.

Touya no Miko

Quote from: MeowDesu on March 02, 2011, 04:00:42 PM
Quote from: Touya no Miko on March 02, 2011, 03:16:51 PM

The makeup thing might be a bad idea if it isn't done properly. Germs and infections can spread easily with shared makeup items. However, I work at a department store where we have a beauty department with tester makeup, and there are ways to make it cleaner, but it would require everyone using individual cotton balls/swabs instead of brushes and sponges (and no putting a contaminated swab back into makeup). I don't know how much Fanime staff would want to be responsible for something like that. Not that it's a bad idea overall, but it'd take some work (and the assumption that everyone knows how to be clean) to make it safe for everyone.

Yeah, I thought about that too. My older sister works as a bridal makeup artist and beauty department employee. I was thinking about bringing disposable eye sponge applicators, powder puffs, and sponges so they can be disposed of after use. In addition, have some sanitizing solution and a note nearby to remind everyone to keep it clean. Eye makeup transfers bacteria too easily, so those will be left out. Would some unused stage setting powder be all right? I have some Ben Nye loose setting powder that comes in a shaker bottle, which is more hygienic than a compact case. We can restrict it to just powder touch ups if everything else is too much. But I'll be nearby if anyone needs help with anything else, so long as they bring their own makeup.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Mi Feng

I would love to use this. So much happens at Fanime sometimes our cosplays need a little TLC. <3
And a little suggest: perhaps a little eyelash glue and tweezers could be set out? Just to adjust those stubborn falsies! ^^

maikiritori

Spring cleaning is so awesome. I found a hot glue gun and some glue in clear and various glittery colors. Since a glue gun and glue has already been vouched for, I'm just going to add my glue to the pile. If anyone wants to take the glittery colored glue, please help yourself. I can't see a use for them in near future.
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

BSaphire

So the room has been changed and I want to make sure everyone is aware of it. It is now the Winchester Room ~ 1st Floor of the Hilton Hotel.

I'm still looking for cosplayers who are willing to talk and answer questions from other cosplayers on how they do/work/make different things. If your interested please post.
Thanks
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

robozombisaurus

I would love if we had this! I cant really think of suggestions everyone already covered what I thought of but I would definitely use this room to the max if we had it.
Pinkie pie- my little pony
Missing no. Snorlax & Sylveon- Pokemon
Lumpy space princess- Adventure time
Stocking,geek boy(gender bent)- panty and stocking

Dany

Husband and I have extended our time to be at con..I think the plan is to check in early Friday morning and to be attending con Friday and a good chunk of Saturday, and I -might- be able to come in Sunday on my own (no promises yet, unfortunately!).

I still have containers to donate..if Thursday there is anyone to take them, that would be a great thing as I'll be in the area for work and can just drive over and drop them off, versus piling it in with our other stuff :)

As for "how we did this" stuff...let me talk to Husband...the plan is for us to try to do the Matsumoto meetup and for him to wear Harlock on Friday, so he -might- be convinced to talk about how he made our weaponry, because he did and both Harlock and Emeraldas' gravity sabers and guns, plus an extra gun we used in our Masquerade entry.  I might have something for the "how to use Wonderflex" department for Tochiro's hat.

EDIT: I wonder if I have enough progress photos to put together something about my Robin Sena wig that I finished for ALA...*headscritch*
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

BSaphire

Quote from: Dany on April 20, 2011, 07:40:05 AM
Husband and I have extended our time to be at con..I think the plan is to check in early Friday morning and to be attending con Friday and a good chunk of Saturday, and I -might- be able to come in Sunday on my own (no promises yet, unfortunately!).

I still have containers to donate..if Thursday there is anyone to take them, that would be a great thing as I'll be in the area for work and can just drive over and drop them off, versus piling it in with our other stuff :)

As for "how we did this" stuff...let me talk to Husband...the plan is for us to try to do the Matsumoto meetup and for him to wear Harlock, so he -might- be convinced to talk about how he made our weaponry.
Oh my gosh! Dany tell hubby it would be sooo wonderful if the two of you could help out with a Q&A session on weaponry (amongst the many topics you two could cover :P ) and I sure do hope you both can! Maikiritori and I will be around on Thursday late afternoon/early evening. We have our department staff meeting & training that day. PM me later and let me know when you might drop it off and I'll see about picking it up from you. I know what it's like to have that "extra" stuff taking up space from important con and cosplay stuff *LOL
Thanks
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Dany

Quote from: BSaphire on April 20, 2011, 07:47:00 AM
Oh my gosh! Dany tell hubby it would be sooo wonderful if the two of you could help out with a Q&A session on weaponry (amongst the many topics you two could cover :P ) and I sure do hope you both can!

If we know when it is (and ideally if it's on Friday), that will make it a little easier on him. I will definitely ask :)

I'll PM an ETA as it gets closer to con..at this point, the best time would be Thursday lunch, but if I get a full weekend badge (versus a day badge) I may come after work to pick it up when I retrieve that.

obliviousedward

Fanime '16 Cosplay:
To be announced...!

Dany

OK. Darieum has been asked, and he is interested in the weapons meetup as long as it doesn't cross streams with the Matsumoto gathering.  I'm still waiting on when that will be exactly, but I know it's scheduled presently for Friday sometime.

AnimefanJJ

I want to know would stitching fall under other? Because I know how to do stitching now and I could teach other.
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

zeroelement

Quote from: BSaphire on April 19, 2011, 09:32:00 AM
So the room has been changed and I want to make sure everyone is aware of it. It is now the Winchester Room ~ 1st Floor of the Hilton Hotel.

I'm still looking for cosplayers who are willing to talk and answer questions from other cosplayers on how they do/work/make different things. If your interested please post.
Thanks
B

Ello
I might be able to talk about working electronics into outfits. Ive made a few cosplays and this time one of my props lights up and im good with making stuff. So i could host something like how to add lights into your cosplay/props.  I can get VERY tentacle to even programing lights to flame from time to time and that kinda things or how to cheaply wire things. My only drawback is that i have used all household items (broke up lights to get the leds and used Internet wire to give power.  If i am going to do this i can try and get a slideshow together and try and find some places to get leds cheap(which will be the hard part XD) (also if anyone wants to do this with me Help is LOVED!!! lol)
I can also tell people how to plan out a prop to get it easy and cheap or good and expensive :3

-edit-
I think it would fall under
Incorporating mechanical aspects into your cosplay:
Lights in Cosplay and Props.  (how to plan out a prop and make it cheaper)
I can also answer some question on how to add mechanical stuff to cosplay i might not have done it yet but i have made myself a few robots for college and they moved XD.

As for time i think saturday 4-7 any time and sunday almsot anytime (no gatherings im in on sunday or monday XD) just dont want to miss the gaia panel and few others i know of.
Cosplayer of Host club (nekozawa) and Soul Eater (Free)
Looking for local cosplay groups and new friends.

Cosplay Circus

I'm not sure if I'm going to have much free time anymore after my cosplay group posted everyone's gatherings they're attending, I'm taking pictures for most of them so I don't think I'll be able to do the Steam Punk Q&A :(
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Dany

Just a quick question: What will be what days? Has a schedule been hammered out?

What all we might be able to contribute to right now:

Wig Styling - Robin Sena (Witch Hunter Robin wig)

Armor Making: It would be non-anime related, but I could probably bring a couple of pieces of my Dawn armor (as in Joe Linsner's Dawn)

Working with special products like wonderflex, foam, laytex:  The armor mentioned above has Wonderflex and MagicSculpt, and Darieum used Wonderflex to work out some of the guard parts of our gravity sabers for Harlock and Emeraldas.  Could also add MagicSculpt as a "special product" (2 part expoxy)

Incorporating mechanical aspects into your cosplay: We MIGHT have a contribution to this on Saturday, but call this a tentative because a) it's being finished and b) it's D's baby, so he would be the only one who could speak to it, so Saturday would be the only day we could bring it.

What would work best for this____ ?:  Depending on when it is.

Ah, the time is creeping up!!!

BSaphire

OK, so I want to set up who is doing what Q & A. Now that gatherings & events are done with submissions & the Cosplay Spectacular stuff is lined up for everyone people should have a better idea of when they are available. So, I need to know when you are available to do your Q & A idea. I want to nail this out this weekend and then have it up on the "Official Gatherings & Events" list. Copy below and fill in the blanks for each Q & A session you want to do. Here are the times of availability in the room (Choose a time that works best for you:)

Friday:
10 - 11 AM:
11 - 12 PM:
12 - 1 PM:
1 - 2 PM:
2 - 3 PM:
3 - 4 PM:
4 - 5 PM:
5 - 6 PM:

Saturday:
10 - 11 AM:
11 - 12 PM:
12 - 1 PM:
1-2:30 PM is unavailable
2:30 - 3:30 PM:
3:30 - 4:30 PM: 
4:30 PM: Cosplayer Gatherings Raffle

Sunday:
10 - 11 AM:
11 - 12 PM:
12 -1 PM:
1 - 2 PM:
2 - 3 PM:
3 - 4 PM:
4:30 Cosplayer Gatherings Raffle

Format for post is:

1st Q & A Session:
Day:
Time:
Topic (s)
Forum Name:
If you are bringing a specific Prop, Cosplay, accessory, etc to show with your Q & A please list what it is and/or who and what they are from:

Will you allow photography during your Q & A?

Anything else?

2nd Q & A Session:
Day:
Time:
Topic (s)
Forum Name:
If you are bringing a specific Prop, Cosplay, accessory, etc to show with your Q & A please list what it is and/or who and what they are from:

Will you allow photography during your Q & A?

Anything else?

If you would like to do more than two just continue on with a 3rd etc. just make sure to include the info for each session.

Once we have a list going I will update the first post.

Other business: If you are bringing in a donation for the Cosplayer 2 Cosplayer Repair station on Thursday you may drop it off at Con Ops and make sure you have it in a bag/box/etc. with "Cosplayer Gatherings on it so when Maikiritori and I come Thursday afternoon we can get it and then take it over to the room.
If you are dropping off on Friday or Saturday then you can come by the Winchester Room in the Hilton Hotel (1st floor) and leave it there.

Thank you Cosplay Peeps for helping make our little peace of heaven the perfect place for us! I hope this runs well this year because I want to do more with it next year!
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

AnimefanJJ

1st Q & A Session: Learning How to Whip Stitch and Cross Stitch
Day: Friday May 27th
Time: 10am, 2pm, and 5pm
Topic (s): Whip Stitch and Cross Stitching for costume making and repair.
Forum Name: AnimefanJJ, prefer being called JJ
If you are bringing a specific Prop, Cosplay, accessory, etc to show with your Q & A please list what it is and/or who and what they are from: Assorted sewing needles, thread, scarp fabric, scissors, and wooden sewing case.

Will you allow photography during your Q & A? Yes.

Anything else? I am willing to repair rips on costumes.

2nd Q & A Session: Alterations by hand
Day: Saturday May 28th
Time: 11pm, 12pm, and 3:30pm
Topic (s): Altering costumes by hand
Forum Name: AnimefanJJ, prefer to be called JJ
If you are bringing a specific Prop, Cosplay, accessory, etc to show with your Q & A please list what it is and/or who and what they are from: Tailor Chalk, Tailor measuring tap, assorted sewing needles, thread, scissors, and wooden sewing case.

Will you allow photography during your Q & A? Yes

3rd Q & A Session: Learning How to Back Stitch
Day: Sunday May 29th
Time:11am, 1pm, and 3pm
Topic (s): Back Stitching to make seams
Forum Name: AnimefanJJ, prefer to be called JJ
If you are bringing a specific Prop, Cosplay, accessory, etc to show with your Q & A please list what it is and/or who and what they are from: assorted sewing needles, thread, scissors, scrap faberic, and wooden sewing case.

Anything else? No
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

zeroelement

edited out to show update
Cosplayer of Host club (nekozawa) and Soul Eater (Free)
Looking for local cosplay groups and new friends.

Dany

1st Q & A Session:

Day: Friday
Time: 3-4 (going to confirm this is OK, should know tonight for sure.)
Topic (s): Weapons of Captain Harlock
Forum Name: Dany (on behalf of my husband, Darieum, who is not on the forum)
If you are bringing a specific Prop, Cosplay, accessory, etc to show with your Q & A please list what it is and/or who and what they are from: Matsumoto Weapons: Captain Harlock's Gravity Saber (based on Harlock SSX) and Cosmo Dragoons. May also have Emeraldas gravity saber as well

Anything else? Only that we'll be leaving right at 4, or sooner if there's not a lot of turnout, as I'm running the Matsumoto meetup and want to get in the area and checked in :)

2nd Q & A Session:
Day: Sunday
Time: 2-3 PM
Topic (s): Wig Styling
Forum Name: Dany
If you are bringing a specific Prop, Cosplay, accessory, etc to show with your Q & A please list what it is and/or who and what they are from:  Robin Sena (Witch Hunter Robin) wig and progress photos.

Anything else? Nope!