Cosplayer Hangout 2012 ~ 1st & last post ~ 8/8/2011

Started by BSaphire, January 18, 2011, 08:06:51 AM

Cosplayer Hangout 2011

4 Stars ~ LOVED IT and will use it again!
4 (80%)
3 Stars ~ Great idea and I might use it again.
1 (20%)
2 Stars ~ It's was ok, but I didn't use it.
0 (0%)
1 Stars ~ Nice try, but won't really help cosplayers.
0 (0%)
0 Stars ~ I'm the devil... What were you thinking!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

BSaphire

Many things happen during con and sometimes it would be nice to have a space where you could sit with other cosplayers and quietly talk, catch a few moments of sanity, a sure fire place to meet your friends that are coming in, or maybe sit and read some of the manga you got the night before at the swap meet. Would it be nice to have a space just for cosplayers to "hang out" during the day?

Well my staff and I have thought of just that and so much more! If there was a "Cosplayer Hangout" place where what I described above could be found, would you use it? What would you like to see in there? What could be put in there that isn't already available for the cosplayers at Fanime Con?

This would be a room, with a table & chair set up that would accommodate gatherings/events like Texas Hold 'Em, Ouran High School Host Club, maybe even a Hetalia Axis Powers board room where unique photos could be taken with out the disruptions of other attendees, people who smoke, over excite attendees, trash strewn areas, loud and obnoxious protesters and other crazy mayhem that can get on our cosplaying nerves.

The question is would the cosplayers want this Hangout place and what kind of things would you like to see in it? I'm not making promises that any or all of it could be done this year, but know that Cosplayer Gatherings has acquired permission to run a "Cosplayer Hangout" place and I would like to make it a little piece of paradise for a few moments in our crazy cosplaying days at con.

Help make this place our Cosplayer Hangout! Your feed back is really important here so please speak up!

Cosplayer Hangout 2012 Hours:
Days: Thursday (day zero) evening, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Times:
Open ~ TBA
Closed ~ TBA

Cosplayer Hangout Special Events:
Thursday evening:
Friday evening:
Saturday evening:
Sunday evening:

C2C CH = Cosplayer 2 Cosplayer Hangout Donations needed:
Case of water:
cups for water:
(3) Bar Stools:
(3) small bean bags for Chocobo Corner:
Board games for Chocobo Corner:
~Candyland:
~Shuttes and Laders:
~Monkeys in a Barrel:
~other:
Coloring books:
small packs of color crayons:
Styrofome Ice Chest (for our cool off station):
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Dany

I would LOVE this myself!

Here's what I would throw in there if I had every possible resource:

1. Seating, and various kinds. Stools/benches would be great because sometimes people have costumes that can't get in a chair with a back in it (I had this problem with a costume that had hip and butt armor). Tables wouldn't be bad either so that people who need to take something off can lay it somewhere Not On The Floor.

2. Water. Sometimes you just can't carry a bottle with you, and having some water on hand would be an excellent way to get necessary fluids.

3. A repair station. While I am aware that Anime LA tends to sponsor a mini-repair station at their table when they are at an event (like they did last year), it would be great to have some supplies on hand to fix stuff in that room as well. Note, this would be for -fixing- costumes that are already on you, not for building your stuff at the last minute ;)

4. Full length mirrors. That way, when one is ready to leave, they can check their stuff is OK before they go. Again, not for extensive use. If someone needs to put full-on make up together, they should go to their hotel room ideally, or even to a bathroom (though hopefully without mess).

5. A few minions that can help with costumes as needed/requested.

But that's just my thoughts, and I am probably asking for all too many pretty pink ponies :)

2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

BSaphire

Quote from: Dany on January 18, 2011, 08:35:13 AM
I would LOVE this myself!

Here's what I would throw in there if I had every possible resource:

1. Seating, and various kinds. Stools/benches would be great because sometimes people have costumes that can't get in a chair with a back in it (I had this problem with a costume that had hip and butt armor). Tables wouldn't be bad either so that people who need to take something off can lay it somewhere Not On The Floor.

2. Water. Sometimes you just can't carry a bottle with you, and having some water on hand would be an excellent way to get necessary fluids.

3. A repair station. While I am aware that Anime LA tends to sponsor a mini-repair station at their table when they are at an event (like they did last year), it would be great to have some supplies on hand to fix stuff in that room as well. Note, this would be for -fixing- costumes that are already on you, not for building your stuff at the last minute ;)

4. Full length mirrors. That way, when one is ready to leave, they can check their stuff is OK before they go. Again, not for extensive use. If someone needs to put full-on make up together, they should go to their hotel room ideally, or even to a bathroom (though hopefully without mess).

5. A few minions that can help with costumes as needed/requested.

But that's just my thoughts, and I am probably asking for all too many pretty pink ponies :)
Ask for the ponies! XD
1. Awesome ~ don't know why I didn't think of this cause I couldn't sit in Siren last year unless it was on my knees and backwards or I would have messed up her feathers! ~ See what I can do to get one or two stools...
2. Water station has already been requested and I think we might be able to swing it..
3. We were going to throw together a small repair kit, but were curious what to put in it. Would ALA be willing to help out with a small repair station in here? Do you know?
4. Like the full length mirror idea too, have to see if we can arrainge something... lol maybe fun house mirror lol jk.
5. The room will have staff in it and those that enter will need to have their badge to get access.

Pretty pink ponies :) Love em!
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Kuudere

I think it's a good idea because previously, cosplayers have used the hotel lounge area for this purpose, which probably doesn't thrill them too much. As long as it's close to the con and advertised well, it should work out nicely. I'll leave suggestions later if I think of them.

JewishCosplayer

This sounds like a fantastic idea. ;D

I love the convention, but sometimes, a cosplayer just needs a break. It'd be lovely to have an area where you can just relax and meet up with fellow cosplayers in a less chaotic setting. Also, for some people, like me who have a hotel far away from the Convention (Motel 6), the idea of a having a room where you can get away from the mainstream of the convention sounds perfect. Plus, it's better then having to fight for a place on the floor. Where you are in people's walk way or causing trouble for a picture.

All in all, great idea! Hope it works!

Dany

Quote from: BSaphire on January 18, 2011, 08:48:17 AMAsk for the ponies! XD
1. Awesome ~ don't know why I didn't think of this cause I couldn't sit in Siren last year unless it was on my knees and backwards or I would have messed up her feathers! ~ See what I can do to get one or two stools...

Excellent. Anything without a back or that one can situate themselves so that back-hanging things have a place to go.

Quote2. Water station has already been requested and I think we might be able to swing it..

Schaweeeet! I figured water could be easy, especially if it's just small cups of stuff that won't interfere with water being sold on the floor.

Quote3. We were going to throw together a small repair kit, but were curious what to put in it. Would ALA be willing to help out with a small repair station in here? Do you know?

Hazel Chaz (the ALA convention head) would be the person to chat up on what he typically carries for his table. Given his space restrictions, he probably wouldn't have as much as he would like, so having somewhere to refer folks for what he doesn't have will probably help him a lot, plus people can go to whichever station is closer to them.

Meantime, here's a few ideas of things I've seen pop up frequently and can think of off of the top of my head:

-Safety pins
-Needles/threads
-Resc-Q Tape/Fashion Tape
-Hot Glue Gun/Glue
-Various tapes (black electrical, duct tape, etc)
-Scissors
-Hair Spray (aerosol or pump, depending on the use)
-Buttons of various colors
-Light but sturdy string
-Leather cording (brown/black in particular)
-Sharpies in various colors, most importantly black, silver, and gold (the silver and gold are good replacements for offering loose paint, which could be a mess)

There is a lot of other things I could think of, but I'm trying to keep it reasonable ;)

Quote4. Like the full length mirror idea too, have to see if we can arrainge something... lol maybe fun house mirror lol jk.
5. The room will have staff in it and those that enter will need to have their badge to get access.

A last thought: simple first aid. Nothing fancy, but perhaps bandaids for people who develop a sudden blister from their shoes and cold compresses for someone who is hot but not dangerously overheated (where true First Aid would need to get involved).

QuotePretty pink ponies :) Love em!

At least I'm not asking for Fist of the North Star-sized horses :)

maikiritori

I don't think the minor first aid stuff should be a problem either. The Cosplay Minions is a great idea, I'm sure that one particular staff member would just love being called a minion. I know I do. XD
My own suggestions for this room are; a reasonable noise limit, strict enforcement of common courtesy, and a basic time limit.
I know that having a break from the crazy that is the CC entrance is nice, but I don't think that sitting in the room all day would be all that great either. I know that there will be people who will end up staying there all day long, for one reason or another.
Other than that, I think this will be a great room to have for the department!! I know that I'll probably make use of it. If I don't, I know that I'll wish I had. ^^
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

Charis

B -- if you guys did decide to go for your own repair kit and you wanted to make a wishlist, I'd be more than happy to pitch in some stuff for it.  I'm in the midst of a massive housecleaning, and finding silly things like three spools of steam-a-seam and bundles of unopened hairpins and packets of needles that I'll probably never use and would be happy to donate if they'd prove useful.

(Moleskin would be a fabulous first-aid station thingy: cosplayers + new shoes + tromping around con = blister city.)

I love this idea, and I hope it manages to work out!

Quote from: maikiritori on January 19, 2011, 12:43:46 AMMy own suggestions for this room are; a reasonable noise limit, strict enforcement of common courtesy, and a basic time limit.

Seconded.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

BSaphire

The room is already approved and they are talking about locating it in the Hilton. I added a list to the first post. Keep the suggestions coming and I will answer any previous questions a little later. 3 hours on line answering and updating everything everywhere has left my right hand numb (darn carpletunnel) so I need a break.

Squidges and Thanks to everyone who has voted/posted so far!
BTW @ maikiritori: You were tempted to be my "devil" on the poll huh *giggle* there's no denying that it was hard for you to resist :P but in the end we want the Fanime "Powers that be" to know how we honestly feel/think so it was good you didn't :)

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Dany

Quote from: Charis on January 19, 2011, 08:57:37 AM
B -- if you guys did decide to go for your own repair kit and you wanted to make a wishlist, I'd be more than happy to pitch in some stuff for it.  I'm in the midst of a massive housecleaning, and finding silly things like three spools of steam-a-seam and bundles of unopened hairpins and packets of needles that I'll probably never use and would be happy to donate if they'd prove useful.

I might have a few items too, or I might also have some plastic containers to put the stuff in as well. I'm trying to upgrade my storage supplies and I have some small plastic storage things that may not end up having any purpose. I'd gladly pass those on.

Another thought...and this is more of a silly idea than anything else: I have a small, yet formidable bag of fabric and scraps of fabric that I don't want to throw out, but I don't need for any projects. Perhaps something for either a) fabric swapping or b) just a big fabric grab-bag that people could peruse (and hopefully NOT make a big mess with) could be something to consider as an idea?

Rodney_Pheonix

In a perfect scenario for seating there would be:

lounge chairs
bean bag chairs
barstools
a couch or two
and a few tables both normal and coffee style.

I think I can donate a roll or two of gaffer's tape.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

BSaphire

@ Charis: Let me know what you can donate and I will put your name next to it. Thanx :)

@ Rodney_Phoenix: Oh MY GOSH! A Roll of Gaffers would be awesome! My tech guys would greatly appreciate it! Adding you :)

@ Dany: I was thinking that a small tubby or two would be really good for stuff that can get leaky. I was also thinking some zip lock plastic bags in quart & gallon size would help keep things from getting super scrambled & we can list the contents on the bag :)

I have thought about my left over fabric and scraps often and wondered what to do with em.
My first thought (years ago) was to have cosplayers take their left overs and make a 6" quilt block that they could sign and then sew all the blocks together into a quilt. We could then raffle the quilt (s) off to the cosplayers the following year.

If this idea was even remotely possible this year it would require all the blocks to come in on Thursday & Friday with one or two peeps manning sewing machines to whip it all together just to have it for the Saturday or Sunday raffle. That would be a WHOLE lot of WORK on top of everything for this year. HOWEVER :) if cospeeps wanted to donate the block this year it would give us a year to get it together for next year.

My other though was to do a Fabric Swap where peeps could bring a small bag of fabric and swap it for another bag of fabric. I would like to narrow this idea down a bit so that it was effective and I don't think I could swing it this year. I think it would be great to do though.

keep the ideas coming everyone and post any donations to the Cosplayer to Cosplayer Repair box!
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Charis

B -- right off the bat, I've got an extra hot glue gun (mini size; low temp only, I think?) that you're welcome to have for the kit, and some glue sticks to go with it.  I'll see if I can scrounge up a box to store it in as well.  I've also got a ton of white bobby pins (thanks to a giant container on sale at Sally's one time) and some miscellaneous colours of hairpins I'll set aside to bring.
I'm sure I'll find other stuff, but I'll let you know as that comes up. :)  Thanks for doing this!

(One other suggestion for the room: a roll of paper towels and a Tide and/or bleach pen or two.  Those things are lifesavers for costume mishaps!)

Re. the quilt idea: if it were possible to have some address to post things to, you could always set a date (sometime after this Fanime but far enough before the next) for people to send the blocks in by.  I admit I'm curious to see what sort of stuff would come together -- I've never quilted, but I love looking at 'em.

I got rid of my last scrap bag by throwing it at a bunch of friends who have dollfies to make stuff for them, but I'm well on my way to another one.  It'd be easier to throw things out, but they might be useful some day! <_<;;;;;;
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

BSaphire

Quote from: Charis on January 20, 2011, 09:07:01 AM
B -- right off the bat, I've got an extra hot glue gun (mini size; low temp only, I think?) that you're welcome to have for the kit, and some glue sticks to go with it.  I'll see if I can scrounge up a box to store it in as well.  I've also got a ton of white bobby pins (thanks to a giant container on sale at Sally's one time) and some miscellaneous colours of hairpins I'll set aside to bring.
I'm sure I'll find other stuff, but I'll let you know as that comes up. :)  Thanks for doing this!

(One other suggestion for the room: a roll of paper towels and a Tide and/or bleach pen or two.  Those things are lifesavers for costume mishaps!)

Re. the quilt idea: if it were possible to have some address to post things to, you could always set a date (sometime after this Fanime but far enough before the next) for people to send the blocks in by.  I admit I'm curious to see what sort of stuff would come together -- I've never quilted, but I love looking at 'em.

I got rid of my last scrap bag by throwing it at a bunch of friends who have dollfies to make stuff for them, but I'm well on my way to another one.  It'd be easier to throw things out, but they might be useful some day! <_<;;;;;;
Oh! OH! YES! Great suggestions and I stuck your name on some stuff :) Thanx

Speaking of Dollfies.... This room would be a good place for them to have a little meet up :)
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

tatterpixie

OMG I would so use this. Just to have someplace to cool off -- Rakushun is comfy, but it does get kinda hot in there. XD

I'd donate something, but I'm not local, so. Oooh! I could toss in some more glue sticks! I know how quickly those get used up. XD I have a bunch I can pack in with the rat when I ship him ahead. ^__^ (@ Charis: let me know for sure whether that spare glue gun is low or high-temp so I can pack the appropriate glue sticks. <3)
Fanime 2013 cosplay plans:
Tochiro Oyama (Captain Harlock)
Pinako Rockbell (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Rodney_Pheonix

Actually I forget if Gorilla tape is actually considered a type of Gaffer's tape or not....Meh. I can pester my aunt for a couple rolls of actual gaffer's tape.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

maikiritori

Quote from: BSaphire on January 19, 2011, 09:34:01 AM

BTW @ maikiritori: You were tempted to be my "devil" on the poll huh *giggle* there's no denying that it was hard for you to resist :P but in the end we want the Fanime "Powers that be" to know how we honestly feel/think so it was good you didn't :)

I didn't vote yet!! I was actually going to take this one seriously, but since you've already pinned the Devil on me... ;)

Quote from: Charis on January 19, 2011, 08:57:37 AM
Another thought...and this is more of a silly idea than anything else: I have a small, yet formidable bag of fabric and scraps of fabric that I don't want to throw out, but I don't need for any projects. Perhaps something for either a) fabric swapping or b) just a big fabric grab-bag that people could peruse (and hopefully NOT make a big mess with) could be something to consider as an idea?

Fabric grab bag!!!!!!!! I promise I won't make a mess. ^^

And I can also donate:
Clear nail polish
White and Black thread
Tide Pen(s)-- possibly more than one.
Band aids
Neosporen

That's it for now. This might change, but prolly not.
B, I'll call you later to talk aboot Preda and room. <3
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

Charis

Well, after a cursory cleaning sweep tonight (in lieu of actually being productive and doing stuff like sewing <_< ):
- 1 silver sharpie
- 1 mini hot glue gun (low temp)
- 5 glue sticks
- bobby pins (~50 each, white and blonde)
- hair pins (~50, black)
- snaps (8, silver, size 1)
- a few miscellaneous buttons
- some black electrical tape
- and a small flip-top plastic box it all fits into

Other things I found that can be tossed into the pile:
- several yards of white cotton cording (vaguely estimated; why do I always buy way too much of stuff and then find something better to use for the next project?)
- steam-a-seam (1/2" x 20yd package)
- thimbles (3 of those leather band ones -- discovered I can't use the things)
- mini rubber bands (1 bag of indeterminate count)
- round-nose pliers (not ideal for things like repairing a loose jump ring, but they'll do in a pinch)
- I also found a sewing kit I was given one Christmas -- one of those ones in a bag they sell at Michael's? -- that's never been used and probably never will.  It's got a pair of smaller scissors (3" blade?), some straight and safety pins, needles, buttons, assorted colours of thread and some other random stuff neatly in a case.

... I kinda want to throw together a bag of fabric scraps and other miscellaneous odds and ends (ribbon spools, trim bits, those grommets in the sizes I don't use anymore) and have a crafty swap-fest of sorts.  XD  "Free to good home" or something similar!
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

CosplayDevotee

AMAZING IDEA! I was discussing this with my friends the other day. I would add more requests, but I have none, they have all been mentioned! I would definately use this room! ^_^

Dany

Quote from: Charis on January 20, 2011, 09:38:47 PM
... I kinda want to throw together a bag of fabric scraps and other miscellaneous odds and ends (ribbon spools, trim bits, those grommets in the sizes I don't use anymore) and have a crafty swap-fest of sorts.  XD  "Free to good home" or something similar!

I agree! Something I might suggest if we go this route is to bag them individually with type of fabric and estimated yardage, especially small stuff. Larger pieces (say, several yards worth that can't fit in a gallon Ziploc baggie) we can try to tag in some way (I would volunteer spending some time to help take care of this suggestion, but I need to finalize some plans that are in limbo before I commit to such a venture).

Also, re: donations: I have two file-size black tubs and one smaller tub with a handle so far. I also have some smaller boxes as well, though I am not sure how many right off. And my own bag of fabric, which I have inventoried already and could bag pretty easy for "freebie grabbage" :) I plan to have more things in the works, but I need to review what's in our sewing room first and make sure my husband doesn't have a use for it.