HELP! HOW DO YOU AVOID GLOMPS???

Started by Throwfox, January 18, 2011, 08:42:40 AM

Throwfox

I hate to seem rude  but I do not like to be hugged!  Is there any way to avoid a hug?

Cause come on,Some of these otakus are perverts....

BitsOfChoBits

lol i know what you mean,just yell "Rape", I hate it when strangers glomp me for no reason (twice) maybe I will have a sign GLOMP ME & I WILL CALL SECURITY

Kuudere

You know, in my 7 years of going to Fanime (6 of which I cosplayed for), I have yet to be glomped. I don't think it's as big of a worry as some people make it out to be. I've had creepy fanboys follow me around for a while, but that's about the extent of harassment I've received.

I think the secret is to behave as you would around a dog: If you act excited and hyper, the dog will be hyper and jump all over you. If you act serious and move with a purpose, the dog will be quiet and behave. Same with this, if you exude a serious "don't touch me please" personality, you should be safe. If you go running around all crazy, people will probably find you approachable and think you're okay with being touched.

Also, it's important to mention that if you are being harassed, it is a good idea to bring it to the attention of rovers as soon as possible. Even unwarrented glomping can be considered harassment. If they're doing it to you, they're probably doing it to many other people and need to be told it's not acceptable without permission.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: MeowDesu on January 18, 2011, 11:29:21 AM
Even unwarrented glomping can be considered harassment. If they're doing it to you, they're probably doing it to many other people and need to be told it's not acceptable without permission.

Unwanted physical contact is considered battery. Glomping someone who doesn't want it could considered a misdemeanor.

Glomping is serious business.

Also this thread has me wanting a hug  :(

Kuudere

Quote from: Jeimizu on January 18, 2011, 11:54:04 AM

I shall have my lawyers draft a consent form and contact your lawyers for approval. You must sign and initial the appropriate spots. Within 7-10 business weeks, we will be able to complete our hug transaction. I look forward to doing business.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: MeowDesu on January 18, 2011, 12:11:34 PM

I shall have my lawyers draft a consent form and contact your lawyers for approval. You must sign and initial the appropriate spots. Within 7-10 business weeks, we will be able to complete our hug transaction. I look forward to doing business.

Excellent. However with the current exchange rate of USH to CAH (that's US Hugs to Canadian hugs for those non-economic types) so close to even, and anticipated fluctuations of the hug index, I don't see them getting this done in less than 8 weeks, even 9 is probably optimistic.

I think there stands a notable precedent back in 1994 where there was a standard 3 second hug given AND reciprocated between a man from Saskatoon and another man from Montanna where the rate fluctuated between the time of agreement of said hug and the time of execution of said hug, so that should speed things up a bit.

I too look forward to our transaction.

L0Lpants

I don't know if you seen the level of glompiness at Fanime as of recent years, but it's starting to tone down to the phase of "ask before you hug". Besides, a glomping is something invented by conventions like these as common courtesy. If the glomp came at you any less than if, for example, you had a football during a game & a linebacker was trying to take you down, that can't be called assault. When I went to my 1st fanime, glomping was all the rage & mostly carried out by the chicks(although there was this one time I was clotheslined glomped, that hurt). Case in summary, you probably don't have to worry about being randomly being glomped from a stranger in future Fanime gatherings. Hell, we'll probably get to the point of sueing 1 another if a random unwanted glomping comes around.
~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

ispyangie

I've never had a problem with hugs, during my 4 years(5th this year) of attending fanime. Just like the post above mine, people were courteous enough to tap me on the shoulder and ask me beforehand. I think it's flattering, sometimes...I feel like a character in Disneyland that everyone wants to meet. LOL. But I agree with MeowDesu, your behavior counts as well. I'm sure you won't have a problem. :)
Tweet @ispyangie

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Captain L0Lpants on January 18, 2011, 01:29:44 PMIf the glomp came at you any less than if, for example, you had a football during a game & a linebacker was trying to take you down, that can't be called assault.

No, because like I said before, it can be considered battery.

Kuudere

Quote from: Jeimizu on January 18, 2011, 12:33:37 PM
Quote from: MeowDesu on January 18, 2011, 12:11:34 PM
Also this thread has me wanting a hug  :(

Excellent. However with the current exchange rate of USH to CAH (that's US Hugs to Canadian hugs for those non-economic types) so close to even, and anticipated fluctuations of the hug index, I don't see them getting this done in less than 8 weeks, even 9 is probably optimistic.

I think there stands a notable precedent back in 1994 where there was a standard 3 second hug given AND reciprocated between a man from Saskatoon and another man from Montanna where the rate fluctuated between the time of agreement of said hug and the time of execution of said hug, so that should speed things up a bit.

I too look forward to our transaction.

I hadn't even considered the ramifications of currency exchange! Yes, that will postpone things a bit, but we should have everything in order by no later than three months.

(I'm glad someone else can poke fun at the political correctness of it all  ;) ).

Quote from: Jeimizu on January 18, 2011, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: Captain L0Lpants on January 18, 2011, 01:29:44 PMIf the glomp came at you any less than if, for example, you had a football during a game & a linebacker was trying to take you down, that can't be called assault.

No, because like I said before, it can be considered battery.

Completely right. According to the law expertise of all-knowing Wikipedia, touching is considered battery when:

• an offensive touching or contact is made upon the victim, instigated by the actor; and
  • the actor intends or knows that his action will cause the offensive touching.

You could argue that they don't "know" their actions can be considered offensive, however, I think you'll still most likely lose that argument.

Permission is the best, safest way to go. I have been politely asked for hugs before, and have been happy to give them. If someone were to run up and forcefully hug me without asking...well...let's just say I'd be pissed. Not only for the rudeness but also for not considering whether my costume could handle that kind of treatment.

What's kind of funny is that I've seen more girls glomping cosplayers than guys doing it. Just because you're a girl doesn't mean you can ignore someone's personal space. It can still be harassment.

Again: Hugs = good. Glomping without consent = bad.

Throwfox

Thanks for the info, guys!  I am prepared now! 

If all else fails i shall get a "glomp me and DIE" pin :3

hopefully it won't come to that! If anybody has anymore info they can share, please do!

Cosplay Circus

There was this group of girls last year that every time they saw my friend who was cross playing a Hibari, they'd all yell "MINI HIBARI!!!" (she's short) and all glomp her at the same time. It. Was. HYSTERICAL! xDD she wouldn't let anyone take her picture so we figured it was karma kicking in lmao, they found her like every other hour all 4 days
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Throwfox on January 18, 2011, 06:30:35 PM

hopefully it won't come to that! If anybody has anymore info they can share, please do!

You could always try wearing a spiked collar.

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Jeimizu on February 15, 2011, 09:38:22 PM
Quote from: Throwfox on January 18, 2011, 06:30:35 PM

You could always try wearing a spiked collar.

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

The glomping has been toned down a lot (or so I hope) since.  The only times "glomping" has been shown is between a circle of friends.  Just even saying a word from your mouth would prevent people from glomping, knowing that these people should already know the consequences.

Of all the times I've went to cons, I've been glomped a couple of times, mainly walking around in a Wii Remote cosplay (unintentionally a glomp magnet at the time which was 2007-2008).  The more damaging ones without consent received harsh punishment.  The more friendly ones that is moreso a regular hug and long talks with people I didn't mind at all.

If you have a couple of people around you, you will not get glomped at all, knowing the punishment.  Most con-goers do not want to start a fight and lure negative attention.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

SukebeStudios

If someone doesn't like to be touched...I would avoid conventions. Especially if you like to cosplay. You never know what sets fangirls off.

Mi Feng

I've actually never been "glomped" per say at FanimeCon. Ecstatic hugs but always when I'm aware of them. Never have I been to the point a hug was HOMG SUPRISE! 8'D Like MeowDesu, just by acting mature you might attract mature peoples, most glompers are looking for someone who looks like they WANT to be glomped.
I can't promise you that you won't get a fan is just so full of energy that they can't contain themselves and just give you an excited hug, it means they REALLY like your character. All young fans have a beginning and learn from each convention they go to the etiquette of glomps and hugs. Froshlings sometimes can't help it so if all else fails just smile. :)

PyronIkari

Quote from: SukebeStudios on February 28, 2011, 07:34:16 PM
If someone doesn't like to be touched...I would avoid conventions. Especially if you like to cosplay. You never know what sets fangirls off.

This is perhaps one of your dumbest posts yet.

Anyways. Glomping has cut down, since people have been making a bigger issue of it in recent years. Of course there's always people that don't know how to have decency and do it anyways. Realistically there's no way to prevent it, because you can't control others' actions. Just be aware of your surrondings is all.

.::midnight.maiden::.

I've never been glomped before. It doesn't happen as often as I thought it would. I've seen at least one each day of a convention, though.

I only glomp my friends at school o.o; There really are creepy people at conventions. Strangers lol...
Fanime Attendee - 2007, 2009-
Fanime Staff - 2008(Panels)
AOD - 2011-

EJAY420

Only females have access to this 24/7.
Most Impressive.