Walkie Talkies at Con?

Started by ShikiIchijo, January 20, 2011, 06:25:52 PM

ShikiIchijo

I'm just asking to clarify but are we allowed to use Walkie Talkies during the convention? I know cell phones do the same thing but last year I had a terrible problem with reception and I couldn't find the group I was with unless I went outside to get service.
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

ewu

no reason why you cannot use it. should be cool:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ShikiIchijo

Alrighty, thank you so much Ewu. :D
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

otakuya

It's cool to use, but just be warned that there may be interference and connection issues, especially if you try and use a channel the staff uses.

Tsu

Quote from: Otakuya on January 20, 2011, 09:48:35 PM
It's cool to use, but just be warned that there may be interference and connection issues, especially if you try and use a channel the staff uses.

It shouldn't be too bad. As long as you stay off any channels staff uses, I'd think it would be fine. I used to use walkie talkies at theme parks all the time with huge groups and the only problem you ever encountered - even with all that electronic equipment - was trying to find a channel that other people weren't using. (Apparently everyone else had the same idea!) But nowadays, I imagine it'd mostly be just your group and the staff. I don't know how the signal will fare in and out of rooms, and keep in mind you don't want it to be blaring in the middle of a screening or anything, just like a cellphone... but I'd think it'd work out pretty well.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Tony

I believe we use radios with different technology, so you probably won't be able to pick up our signals.

Like foester mentioned your biggest problem will probably be finding a channel that others aren't using. And do bear in mind that people can listen in... be careful about what you put out there!  :)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014